Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#741 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 March 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 25 March 2020 - 03:42 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 March 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 March 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 24 March 2020 - 11:24 PM, said:

I admit to surprise that Ford is doing a decent job dealing w this in ONT.

At the extreme other end of the spectrum i think Trump is actively trying to kill off people... between wrong drugs and the Easter thing... tho more likely he's just hoping for a Market rise and fully intends to backpedal by Easter.

itd be nice if he didn't look like a nervous wreck every single effing time he was doing a conference. Quite the contrast to JT

Im also livid at the fact he announced hed be shutting down non essential things, and not even provide a list at the same time. I was worried my work would be shut down (despite being remote). Hes a bloody moron lacking a spine.

Dude the list came out mere hours after. Relax.

You understand that companies apply for essential service (mine did) and that process takes time, right?

Frig sake. I don’t like Doug much either...but he’s honestly doing a great job during a crisis...Justin is calmer, but he’s falling behind on actually doing stuff instead of just suggesting it.

I wont go much past 'decent', but he's holding the line at least.

PM JT... look, I have no special insight, but every single decision he makes now is going to have impact on lives, economics, and politics. I believe that the lives come first (unlike Trump), but nothing is easy or fast just now and most of the practical decisions have to be made at the prov level. When Federal shit starts to happen fast is when we'll know things are REALLY fncked.

For sure. I still hate the guy and a bunch of the decisions he's making benefit his corporate cronies to boot. But in the face of a disaster, he's handling it well and you could knock me over with a feather, I thought he'd bungle it. But he dropped the partisan bullshit, stopped thinking about just his voters and started thinking about the province as a whole. I have to give him credit. This will (sadly) probably get him re-elected though...I have mixed feelings about that.

I don't want FAST from Trudeau....I want decisive and forceful from Trudeau. He's very good at speaking to us, very good at his job probably 70% of the time...but a bunch of his early press conferences didn't have the serious tone that his most recent one took on. People were flouting the rules because he didn't say you MUST, he said something much more open ended and both non-essential businesses AND Queens students didn't take him seriously as a result. Ford on the other hand looked like he was about to cry in every conference....that told me he understands the gravity of all this, and he scolded the people who went out who didn't have to. If we were doing scorecards, Doug MIGHT be winning. As much of a bad taste as that leaves in my mouth.

Ok they released the list hours after when they originally said next day. They clearly don't have their act together. Lack of organisation.

@ Bolded part: Sorry that is just bullshit. In corporate talk we call that emotional management. The tone at the top cascades down, and if you are unable to properly manage your emotions, it cascades to your team affecting performance. Part of leadership involved distancing yourself from your own emotions and projecting calm and serenity, regardless of whether its a sunny day or the apocalypse is on your doorstep. By staying calm, you can make better more informed decisions as well as create the possibility that control can be asserted somehow. I believe Hemingway called courage "Grace under Pressure", ford has none.

Thats why despite my own list of grievances with JT hes done substantially better.

@red part: Im sorry have you watched soo much trump stuff that your bar for good leadership is a having working brain?

#742 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:44 PM

'Another option that’s garnered a lot of public attention is remote voting, something that neither Speaker Nancy Pelosi nor Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has shown much interest in. The Rules Committee report suggests it’s worthy of more study but essentially not feasible in the immediate future. First, it would entail serious security and logistical concerns before such a system could be up and running; secondly, there are yet more constitutional concerns about what it means for members to “assemble” and be “Present” in a “place.” While those constitutional concerns aren’t insurmountable, they are litigable, and it’s reasonable to expect that opponents of some piece of legislation passed under remote voting would tie the question in courts. And, again: You can’t pass remote voting with everyone out of town except for the one person sticking around to object.

So how is the House going to pass this $2 trillion sucker, as leaders hope to do, without flying hundreds of old people back to the coronavirus mothership that is the United States Capitol—something that would likely only delay, and not block, passage anyway?

With unanimous consent and voice vote as the most realistic, though risky, methods, House leaders will be scanning their radars for potential disruptors. They held numerous conference calls with members on Wednesday, walking through expected pieces of the Senate legislation. They’re explanatory, sure, but also a means of temperature taking: Which blocs of members (Progressives, Blue Dogs, the Freedom Caucus) might have serious issues with pieces of it—and more specifically, which individual members might be just mad enough to come back to Washington, go to the House floor, object to proceedings on one ground or another, require a recorded vote, and earn the enmity of their colleagues for eternity?'

https://slate.com/ne...virus-bill.html

#743 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:35 AM

'Our leaders are terrified. Not of the virus – of us

You can almost smell the fear-laden sweat oozing from the pores of television broadcasts and social media posts as it finally dawns on our political and media establishments what the coronavirus actually means. And I am not talking about the threat posed to our health.

A worldview that has crowded out all other thinking for nearly two generations is coming crashing down. It has no answers to our current predicament. There is a kind of tragic karma to the fact that so many major countries – meaning major economies – are today run by the very men least equipped ideologically, emotionally and spiritually to deal with the virus.

That is being starkly exposed everywhere in the west, but the UK is a particularly revealing case study.

[...] It won't work indefinitely, as Dominic Cummings knows only too well. Which is why the Johnson government, as well as the Trump administration and their cut-outs in Brazil, Hungary, Israel, India and elsewhere, are in the process of drafting draconian emergency legislation that will have a longer term goal than the immediate one of preventing contagion.

Western governments will conclude that it is time to shore up capitalism's immune system against their own publics. The risk is that, given the chance, they will begin treating us, not the virus, as the real plague.'

https://www.jonathan...d8Dv34Vj7QGuyLw

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 March 2020 - 01:35 AM

#744 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:11 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 25 March 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

Ok they released the list hours after when they originally said next day. They clearly don't have their act together. Lack of organisation.

Disaster management is not an exact science. Its complex and contains a tonne of variables depending on the situation, one of which is appeasing the masses while still trying to get your ducks in a row. It’s not the way you seem to be seeing it. It doesn’t REMOTELY work that way son.

~Source: my brother in law, military, former cop, and lead on a team in...guess what...emergency/disaster management.

@ Bolded part: Sorry that is just bullshit. In corporate talk we call that emotional management.

Do you think that corporate talk applies here? REALLY? Wanna tell me about synergy next?

The tone at the top cascades down, and if you are unable to properly manage your emotions, it cascades to your team affecting performance.

Good news everyone...we are not HIS TEAM. We are a bunch of utterly disparate individuals with a thousand different fears, concerns, questions, and all of them are backed by some form of emotion. We are a voting public. His ACTUAL team...they are handling it just fine as he’s clearly delegated. He’s talking to the public, not underlings. A little emotion is not something to be scoffed at or scolded...this MFer is human. He’s not immune, or some CORPORATE robot.

Part of leadership involved distancing yourself from your own emotions and projecting calm and serenity, regardless of whether its a sunny day or the apocalypse is on your doorstep. By staying calm, you can make better more informed decisions as well as create the possibility that control can be asserted somehow. I believe Hemingway called courage "Grace under Pressure", ford has none.

And I think you’ll find that this is a special circumstance with a wholly brand new set of scary variables, so maybe you could cut the guy some slack when he does appear to be doing is best. He’s dropped all his former pretence of partisanship...anyone else in the conservative part doing that? No.

Thats why despite my own list of grievances with JT hes done substantially better.

Why am I not surprised you had a list of grievances against JT too. Good gods, I don’t want to tell you to go run this stuff yourself because of how trite that sounds... but you sound like someone who thinks they can Do so without remotely understanding the logistics. Which is why you have ...and I quote “ a LIST of grievances”

@red part: Im sorry have you watched soo much trump stuff that your bar for good leadership is a having working brain?

This is the bit where you chose to be an asshole, so I’m just going to say...don’t be an asshole.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#745 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:57 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 26 March 2020 - 03:50 AM, said:

1,795 here as of today's count. 11 in parish which was at 5 yesterday. They really going after the Mardi Gras infection theory. That was a month ago. So what there has probably been atleast 3 waves in NA now? Or y'all think more?

Now we will have the fleeing NYers and the dumbass Spring Breakers waves to deal with next.

Then come the waves of flood-bearing winds....

#746 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:01 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 March 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

Oh ffs 'Trump Hopes to Have Country "Opened Up" by Easter

[...] In a Fox News virtual town hall, Trump said he wanted to have the country and the economy “raring to go by Easter”—a date less than three weeks away that he said was also “an important day for other reasons.”'

[

Case Nightmare Green kickoff date confirmed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#747 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:28 AM

View PostAbyss, on 26 March 2020 - 04:01 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 March 2020 - 06:04 PM, said:

Oh ffs 'Trump Hopes to Have Country "Opened Up" by Easter

[...] In a Fox News virtual town hall, Trump said he wanted to have the country and the economy “raring to go by Easter”—a date less than three weeks away that he said was also “an important day for other reasons.”'

[

Case Nightmare Green kickoff date confirmed.

Not everyone on the forum has the necessary clearance to know about CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, please consult with your line manager about the necessary disciplinary actions

#748 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 25 March 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 25 March 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

We don't actually do any extraction ourselves at present, so far we are just collecting patient samples (nose/throat swabs, urine, faeces, blood) and processing the blood samples for plasma and white blood cells, which then get shipped on to Liverpool for processing and sequencing. We do have some things in the pipeline though, isolating PBMCs for downstream research applications, as well as development of novel ELISA tests.

But yeah, I think Sanger is the big player in this work.

I meant Illumina. They have cornered the market big time. There is a bit of nanopore sequencing going on too but not much.

Enjoy those stool samples. Or maybe you get a bit of a cough just at the end of the 2 weeks quarantine for your wife. Although I used to process sputum samples for my post doc and I'd take poop over that, any day of the week.

Illumina is the worst. The amount of angry emails I've sent their US office over shitty documentation and even shittier logistics could fill an epic fantasy series sized amount of books.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#749 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

'Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients

[...]

Hospitals on the front lines of the pandemic are engaged in a heated private debate over a calculation few have encountered in their lifetimes — how to weigh the "save at all costs" approach to resuscitating a dying patient against the real danger of exposing doctors and nurses to the contagion of coronavirus.

The conversations are driven by the realization that the risk to staff amid dwindling stores of protective equipment — such as masks, gowns and gloves — may be too great to justify the conventional response when a patient "codes," and their heart or breathing stops.'

https://www.washingt...jKt2coLFeDjy__E

'Coronavirus Heroes Are Getting Tossed From Their Homes by Scared Landlords

"We're being seen as walking Petri dishes."

[...] had just finished her shift at St. Rose Hospital in Las Vegas, where she works as an emergency room nurse, when she received an email from her landlord labeled, "Quick Action Needed." Her landlord—a quiet, older woman who lived downstairs from Jones and her husband—informed her that she would need to vacate the premises within 24 hours. The reason, she said, was COVID-19.

"I don't want interaction or debate over this decision," the landlord wrote in emails reviewed by The Daily Beast. "I'm sorry for the abrupt notice, but given the situation, it's the choice I'm making to protect myself."

Around the country, nurses like Jones and Carter—who are fighting the epidemic with little protective gear and at great risk to themselves—are being booted from their homes by property owners who fear they may bring the new coronavirus home with them.

[...] potential landlords backing out of rental agreements, Airbnb hosts denying their requests, and current proprietors turning them out on the street. [...]

"Honestly, I have never felt scared to be a nurse until this happened," said one nurse in New Hampshire. "We love what we do, we just want to be able to do it without worrying about where we will lay our heads."'

https://www.thedaily...dlords?ref=home

'Woman Coughs All Over $35K of Food at Pennsylvania Store

"VERY TWISTED PRANK"

The grocery store said it was left with no choice but to throw out the food and disinfect the building.'

https://www.thedaily...-store?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 March 2020 - 02:05 PM

#750 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:16 PM

A sergeant who works in the same town as me was spat at and told she would be given COVID-19. Dude has been sent to prison for 26 weeks thank goodness.

Story: https://www.lancashi...IpKwAoFyutXeTS0
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#751 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM

My mom and the rest of staff in her place ow work (dialysis clinic associated with one of the hospitals) was told they'd be issued 2 masks per day.

The deficit is real.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#752 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

To lift your spirits: try a staycation!

https://www.escape.c...0beffb3fa5ad4d3

Yes, yes I know this belongs in the "almost funny" thread but the last few pages of this one were depressing the hell out of me.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#753 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

Surely its illegal to kick people out so fast

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 March 2020 - 06:16 PM, said:

A sergeant who works in the same town as me was spat at and told she would be given COVID-19. Dude has been sent to prison for 26 weeks thank goodness.

Story: https://www.lancashi...IpKwAoFyutXeTS0

Stay Safe Tiste, Your job is more important than ever but sadly there are too many who dont understand this.

#754 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

View PostMentalist, on 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

My mom and the rest of staff in her place ow work (dialysis clinic associated with one of the hospitals) was told they'd be issued 2 masks per day.

The deficit is real.

This is a bigger problem than it may seem. PPE used incorectly can be worse than no PPE. It often gives a false sense of security. The amazon delivery men or grocery store workers who wear the same pair of gloves all day are probably wosrse off than if they wore no gloves but remembered to wash their hands every 15 min.

Wearing gloves in chemistry labs is know for example to also lead to people touching their face more or playing with their phone more even when they know they shouldn't. It creates a false sense of security.

#755 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

Living la vida Corona.

Coronapool - one side of me thinks that's cynical and grim as all fuck, but the other side says ... someone in health/testing/law enforcement. And I hope hope hope we get through this with zero.

Stay safe frontliners, you magnificent bastards. :)

I'm sure there's a website tracking celebrity infections. Maybe TMZ. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 March 2020 - 09:58 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#756 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:13 PM

And the USA now has more infected than China. Yeeesh that skyrocketed fast.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#757 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:55 PM

View PostMentalist, on 26 March 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

The deficit is real.

A friend of mine's mother also works at dialysis ward at a local hospital, at some point during last week, when the number of cases and shortage of masks were getting significant here, they had this patient with a bad cough and a fever, when the nurses requested one of the masks that just came through that morning their boss just told them that only 8 of them came so she can't really spare any for that case (yes at a fucking dialysis ward) and she wouldn't budge, eventually they all had to flat out refuse to enter with the patient without masks to get her to call the supply center or whatever in Prague to send them more masks, when she finally did that the lady over the phone just went wtf we've already sent you over 80 of them today... the boss then laughed it off saying she thought it was 8 masks not packs while the nurses just went on their way with uncomprehending looks and probably a hard fought urge to go full facepalm

Of course the guy turned out positive, she immediately went to get tested when the boss found out and came out negative, she was supposed to be in 1 week quarantine but it got shortened because they don't have any spare nurses and someone's gotta be at the ward

Also said friend works there too but only part time and luckily enough wasn't there when the guy was, but that's already a mere social distance of 2 that I've been from someone who's been in direct contact with the virus, as of one week ago

Also the number of new confirmed daily cases appears to have started to diminish/stagnate, still can't believe how well handled the situation has been here so far, at least as far as the sole number of confirmed cases as an indicator goes
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#758 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

17,056 new cases in the US in the last 24 hrs...fucking hell...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#759 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:07 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 March 2020 - 01:58 AM, said:

17,056 new cases in the US in the last 24 hrs...fucking hell...

Trump says numbers curve one way, reality swings the curve the other way.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#760 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:59 AM

If EVERY American has Corona, then there's no longer any reason to isolate. Trump's the smartest.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 27 March 2020 - 03:59 AM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users