Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#781 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Over 9000 dead in Italy now. Hmm, yes, totally "just" a flu.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#782 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

The report that Spain was using ice rinks as makeshift morgues upped my anxiety level big time.

#783 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:19 PM

We've already prepped our two (we only have two in NI) for use apparently

Sars thing, I had read that was a massive reason in Taiwans rapid response to it.

#784 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:31 PM

We're turning our day surgery into covid+ a+e by monday.

Our recovery room now has all our anaesthetic machines, plus 4 level 3 patients with ICU nurses so its effectively now a 'clean' ITU unit.

Trying to make a scavenging system for the machines though as there's no active scavenging and if they stick the patients on vapours everyone will be asleep! The logistics are crazy, it's one thing to make bed spaces and supply machines but these things need all the right gas supplies and extraction that goes with them.

We had two anaesthetists this morning trying to run two circuits from one machine. It sort of works in theory! You'd just need two very similar patients as they would have to share the settings.

Currently got 4 positives ventilated, about 26 positives on wards, and four deaths.

Oh, some have been sent home, better mention that too.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#785 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 March 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

The explanation I've heard is that Asia learned from SARS and H1N1 and we did not. Now we're learning the hard way.

I think it’s also cultural. The governors in the us for example are very careful how they phrase the lockdown. It’s a request, a social responsibility they hope you will care about. They don’t command. They go out of their way to say it’s not marshal law, they not taking away your right to freedom etc.

Many Americans seem to take an gleeful whatever I won’t change my life because of this approach. My Roomate is driving me nuts because he won’t take it seriously.

#786 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:55 PM

'Boris Johnson has the coronavirus. So does his health secretary. That means people close to both might have it. This includes the prime minister's pregnant fiancée, anyone who works in 10 Downing Street or the Department of Health, and, well, Britain's entire pandemic crisis-management team.

[...] What he didn't say was that the wizardry of modern technology couldn't stop the leader of the sixth-biggest economy on Earth from contracting the virus he wants to lead the fight against. It didn't stop him from boasting about shaking the hands of coronavirus patients only a few weeks ago. It didn't manage to instill protective common sense early enough around some of the most important people in the country. Technology is the thing that will eventually clip the coronavirus's wings, but it is also what gave it the ability to fly in the first place. Today's world is global. Viruses spread quickly, because people move around the world quickly.'

https://www.theatlan...britain/608899/

Remember:

'March 3

Boris Johnson said on Tuesday that coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated.'

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN20Q1IO

Studying the Greco-Roman 'classics' evidently failed to instill in him the virtue of avoiding hubris....

'China Is Making Tons of PPE Respirators Good Enough For Asia and Europe. But U.S. Hospitals Can't Buy Them.

[...] "There's a lot of bureaucracy, paperwork, that's wasting time," said Filippone, speaking on the phone from her office in Colorado. "All it takes is a factory in China to a healthcare facility, not all this red tape."

Hundreds of factories in China are churning out millions of masks being used to suppress the virus across Asia and Europe, but importers can't get them to the front lines of the fight against COVID-19 in the United States because they haven't been certified by the Food and Drug Administration. Confusing government regulations preferring American products, old-school billing practices, and hospital administrators scared of being sued are keeping masks out of the hands of nurses and first responders during the coronavirus pandemic.'

https://www.vice.com...s-wont-buy-them

'Nearly 1.5 million N95 respirator masks are sitting in a U.S. government warehouse in Indiana and authorities have not shipped them because they are past their expiration date, despite Centers for Disease Control guidelines that have been issued for their safe use during the coronavirus outbreak[...]

CBP has no plans to offer the masks to hard-hit hospitals, or hand them over to the Federal Emergency Management Agency[...]

The N95 masks, which provide essential protection to medical personnel treating infected patients, are one of the items that have gone lacking in New York City hospitals and across the country in recent days as demand for equipment soars. Manufacturers have said the masks remain effective if stored properly, and the main risk with age is that the masks' elastic bands can weaken and prevent a proper seal against a user's face.'

https://www.washingt...84af_story.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 27 March 2020 - 05:56 PM

#787 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

#788 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:48 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 27 March 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

'Boris Johnson has the coronavirus. So does his health secretary. That means people close to both might have it. This includes the prime minister's pregnant fiancée, anyone who works in 10 Downing Street or the Department of Health, and, well, Britain's entire pandemic crisis-management team.

[...] What he didn't say was that the wizardry of modern technology couldn't stop the leader of the sixth-biggest economy on Earth from contracting the virus he wants to lead the fight against. It didn't stop him from boasting about shaking the hands of coronavirus patients only a few weeks ago. It didn't manage to instill protective common sense early enough around some of the most important people in the country. Technology is the thing that will eventually clip the coronavirus's wings, but it is also what gave it the ability to fly in the first place. Today's world is global. Viruses spread quickly, because people move around the world quickly.'

https://www.theatlan...britain/608899/

Remember:

'March 3

Boris Johnson said on Tuesday that coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated.'

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN20Q1IO

Studying the Greco-Roman 'classics' evidently failed to instill in him the virtue of avoiding hubris....

'China Is Making Tons of PPE Respirators Good Enough For Asia and Europe. But U.S. Hospitals Can't Buy Them.

[...] "There's a lot of bureaucracy, paperwork, that's wasting time," said Filippone, speaking on the phone from her office in Colorado. "All it takes is a factory in China to a healthcare facility, not all this red tape."

Hundreds of factories in China are churning out millions of masks being used to suppress the virus across Asia and Europe, but importers can't get them to the front lines of the fight against COVID-19 in the United States because they haven't been certified by the Food and Drug Administration. Confusing government regulations preferring American products, old-school billing practices, and hospital administrators scared of being sued are keeping masks out of the hands of nurses and first responders during the coronavirus pandemic.'

https://www.vice.com...s-wont-buy-them

'Nearly 1.5 million N95 respirator masks are sitting in a U.S. government warehouse in Indiana and authorities have not shipped them because they are past their expiration date, despite Centers for Disease Control guidelines that have been issued for their safe use during the coronavirus outbreak[...]

CBP has no plans to offer the masks to hard-hit hospitals, or hand them over to the Federal Emergency Management Agency[...]

The N95 masks, which provide essential protection to medical personnel treating infected patients, are one of the items that have gone lacking in New York City hospitals and across the country in recent days as demand for equipment soars. Manufacturers have said the masks remain effective if stored properly, and the main risk with age is that the masks' elastic bands can weaken and prevent a proper seal against a user's face.'

https://www.washingt...84af_story.html

Lack of leadership is unbelievable. In the army you cant sue your military dr for problems, they realized it would create problems. Similiarly now, ona temporart basis, the president or the senate could pass a law realzing these laws, give the doctors and hospitals shields against being sued for using masks they noramlly woudlnt and problem solved.

#789 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:58 PM

But then the medical malpractice insurance companies would be redundant.

Got to keep those filth mongers and grubby lawyers in champange

#790 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:21 PM

Taking away people's right to seek redress from damages sustained due to other's negligence would be highly unconstitutional.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#791 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

View PostMentalist, on 27 March 2020 - 07:21 PM, said:

Taking away people's right to seek redress from damages sustained due to other's negligence would be highly unconstitutional.

The us army is in the United States right.

It’s an emergency. Time to use the tools that are needed.

#792 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

https://en.m.wikiped...._United_States

#793 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:48 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 March 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

The report that Spain was using ice rinks as makeshift morgues upped my anxiety level big time.

More of this type of thing. Fuckin' hell.

Posted Image

#794 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:23 PM

My 60+-year-old dad has been working remotely to set national policy and guidance for how medical staff should respond ethically in various COVID-related situations...

And now he's getting called in to work hands-on in his hospital. 😞

He'll be helping fewer people and be at much higher risk.

#795 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 14 March 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

<snip> . . . crows, just sitting, making no noise, like they were 'waiting'. . . .<snip>

Saw it again. They know they are going to have a buffet soon. There a lean times and there are times when the bounty goes far beyond satiation. The crows are patiently waiting.

Posted Image

#796 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:53 AM

I think I have it! I have had the wrong type of cough for nearly 2 weeks. Yesterday I started with the right type of cough. I'm exhausted, my ears are blocked up, slightly short of breath. No fever.

I haven't been out since last Saturday, we are stuck at home anyway so 2 weeks staying in is not much different from what we were already looking at. It is frustrating not knowing or if I am imagining it. The exhaustion might be down to house arrest with a 3 year old who doesn't stop talking from the moment he wakes up in the morning until he goes to bed at night. The cough is real at least.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#797 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:03 AM

Shit Mezla, your child is already 3? Time flies on this forum.

#798 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:19 AM

I was thinking the same thing, 3???

I've thought I've had it at least once a day for the last two weeks, I'm not the hypochondriac type (usually) but with the lady working in the health centre now every morning muscle ache or overly warmness is fever and covid in my head.
If I sleep funny sometimes my rib muscles get little cramps in the morning when I stretch, this is now covid.

I'm not making light of you Mez, you have an actual cough and proper symptoms, I really hope it isn't the Covid19

#799 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

My cat was coughing up a hairball earlier and I was considering whether my cat might be infected. You brain thinks strange things when it's saturated with corona news.

#800 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

Nsfw, but a little lift.

Not sure how to embed on the phone. Friendly mod feel free to edit it

This post has been edited by D'rek: 29 March 2020 - 12:44 AM
Reason for edit: Embed fixed

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »