Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#701 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 24 March 2020 - 02:04 AM, said:

Shouldn’t Wuhan be taken out the title of thread?

That's a good point, at this point it's global and has a proper name. I've removed that portion.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#702 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

Counterpoint: it's a widely known fact* that's where it started, what does removing it from the title hope to achieve?

* unless you follow the CCP line that it may have been a US soldier ... :doh:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 March 2020 - 12:39 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#703 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

spanish flu syndrome, coupled with people are stupid, lets not give this thing a location name Asian people are being targeted enough as it is.

I'll say it again, people are fucking stupid, lets not give them any more of a reason to target Chinese (or lets face, people are stupid, any oriental looking person).

#704 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 March 2020 - 01:04 PM, said:

spanish flu syndrome, coupled with people are stupid, lets not give this thing a location name Asian people are being targeted enough as it is.

I'll say it again, people are fucking stupid, lets not give them any more of a reason to target Chinese (or lets face, people are stupid, any oriental looking person).

This.

It was relevant when I made the thread is it was pretty much only in Wuhan at that point, but it's since spread and is far more virulent in other places now like Italy and Spain, so there's not longer a need to mention it's origin place.

Sidenote: Did anyone see Chuck Grassley (GOP House Intel Lead; AKA old fragile rich white man) try to note on Twitter how no one complains that the Spanish Flu is from Spain as a reason why they should be able to call it the "Chinese virus"?....only to be IMMEDIATELY schooled that the only reason it's called the Spanish Flu is because the Spanish were the only ones in the world willing to be real when talking about it...it's ACTUALLY believed to have originated on a pig farm in friggin KANSAS. TL;DR: Chuck Grassley is a moron.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#705 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

It is also WHO policy not to name or refer to pandemics according to the name of the place they were first officially identified because it creates documented practical problems* in dealing with it and future pandemics.

*Those practical problems mainly being due to people being fucking morons and latching onto any reason to be twats to people from other places.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#706 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

I hate to say that I predicted this several weeks ago. There are a lot of racist bastards out there. I was frankly afraid of the creation of quarantine (internment) camps.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#707 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

Work from home, day 2.

It's all fucked.

Court is going mental.

System keeps dying so remote kicks us off.

Government keeps dithering so no one takes anything they say seriously. There are kids outside playing around my ends.

Also just noticed that the extremely nationalist boss of Wetherspoons effectively told all his staff that they are shit on his shoe by stating that whilst 'Spoons is closed they should just go find new jobs. Hopefully that sort of talk tanks him.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#708 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:21 PM

Spoons boss has always been a bit of fruitloop as far as I have been able to gather.

runs shit hole pubs too

#709 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 March 2020 - 03:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 March 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

Spoons boss has always been a bit of fruitloop as far as I have been able to gather.

runs shit hole pubs too

I mean he does look like Doc Emmett Brown on spice.

Anyway, we are really needing some sort of overview on what classes as 'essential', at the moment we have a work rota where I am expected to be in the office week after next, but I don't know if I class as essential (because this rota is to the running of our business at least), and moreover, listening to the amount of engines passing the house, every fucker is essential apparently!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#710 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:05 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 23 March 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

I'd happily shit in a bag rather then have that fucker stuck up my nose.

Wonder how many people cat slap that thing away?

It's really not that bad. I got tested almost two weeks ago (negative) and it was a tiny bit uncomfortable for a couple seconds, then I coughed, and then it was done.

#711 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

View PostDadding, on 24 March 2020 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostBeaver Killia, on 23 March 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

I'd happily shit in a bag rather then have that fucker stuck up my nose.

Wonder how many people cat slap that thing away?

It's really not that bad. I got tested almost two weeks ago (negative) and it was a tiny bit uncomfortable for a couple seconds, then I coughed, and then it was done.

You are a bigger man than Pence who described it as very disturbing.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#712 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:23 PM

Any kind of penetration is a gateway to sin for the vice president.

#713 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

#714 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

Physical contact will soon be banned, upcasting will be a crime, then we will discover overworld, and the actors will go there.

#715 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:42 PM

Posted Image

#716 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

Gorefest, mezla anyone else. So people in the us and Nigeria are already dying from misusing hydroxychloraquinone. Not surprising.

I tell people who ask me about it that the trial was 30 people, no controls, no double blind and I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

What I can’t for the life of me figure out is why the doctor who did the thirty people trial thought it would a drug worth trying in the first place, or mixing it with an antibiotic?

#717 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:04 PM

Oh ffs 'Trump Hopes to Have Country "Opened Up" by Easter

[...] In a Fox News virtual town hall, Trump said he wanted to have the country and the economy “raring to go by Easter”—a date less than three weeks away that he said was also “an important day for other reasons.”'

https://www.thedaily...-surge?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

#718 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

Hearing people are being told they can go to work or take unpaid leave by some employers, despite the government offer. Wankers

#719 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

View PostCause, on 24 March 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

Gorefest, mezla anyone else. So people in the us and Nigeria are already dying from misusing hydroxychloraquinone. Not surprising.

I tell people who ask me about it that the trial was 30 people, no controls, no double blind and I wouldn't get my hopes up.

What I can't for the life of me figure out is why the doctor who did the thirty people trial thought it would a drug worth trying in the first place, or mixing it with an antibiotic?

Disclosure: I am not a doctor. I am a microbiologist. Don't take any drugs unless your doctor tells you to.

The earliest paper that talked about chloroquine treatment for SARS-CoV-2 that I can find is this one from Nature. They tried 5 already-on-the-market drugs that various groups had shown had some antiviral activity. Chloroquine specifically had been shown to do 2 things: 1) Mess with the pH of compartments inside the cell that viruses often manipulate to gain entry into our cells. 2) Mess with some of the 'decoration' of receptors that are recognized by viruses. It's also just generally got widespread low-level effects on the immune system, which they thought might also come in handy. This group showed it was a useful drug for combatting SARS-CoV-2 in cells (in-vitro), which was later backed up by a small amount of data in people (in-vivo).

When Zika happened a while back, some antibiotics in a class called "macrolides" (which includes azithromycin) were shown to have some antiviral effects too. I haven't done an extensive literature on that subject, and I don't think anybody has a really definitive answer as to why macrolides are antiviral despite being antibiotics that are traditionally used to fight off bacteria (specifically these types target the protein-making-factories of bacteria, but not the human equivalents). A quick search shows me that macrolides might be antiviral because they mess with some proteins in the internalization pathway in human cells, that viruses often hijack or subvert. But drugs can often have complicated pharmacokinetic interactions that we don't always immediately understand.

Here's a good summary of some of the data from a reputable source.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 24 March 2020 - 06:41 PM

#720 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

Attached File  90928633_3145764898768413_2709926520402477056_n.jpg (94.05K)
Number of downloads: 0

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users