Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#721 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

I admit to surprise that Ford is doing a decent job dealing w this in ONT.

At the extreme other end of the spectrum i think Trump is actively trying to kill off people... between wrong drugs and the Easter thing... tho more likely he's just hoping for a Market rise and fully intends to backpedal by Easter.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#722 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:48 PM

'The coronavirus isn’t mutating quickly, suggesting a vaccine would offer lasting protection'

https://www.washingt...fVFpWBbbWZG0dOM

No vaccine against this though:
Posted Image

#723 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 March 2020 - 11:24 PM, said:

At the extreme other end of the spectrum i think Trump is actively trying to kill off people... between wrong drugs and the Easter thing... tho more likely he's just hoping for a Market rise and fully intends to backpedal by Easter.

itd be nice if he didn't look like a nervous wreck every single effing time he was doing a conference. Quite the contrast to JT

Im also livid at the fact he announced hed be shutting down non essential things, and not even provide a list at the same time. I was worried my work would be shut down (despite being remote). Hes a bloody moron lacking a spine.

#724 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:06 AM

'Some Doctors Are Hoarding Drug Trump Hyped—for Themselves

Pharmacies report medical providers writing prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine for family and friends.

[...] a call from a dentist who wanted her to fill prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug that President Donald Trump has hyped as a possible treatment for the new coronavirus.

As Rowland wrote in an outraged Twitter thread, the medication wasn't for the dentist's patients: He wanted it for himself, his wife, and friends. She refused to fill it.

"I have patients with lupus that have been on HCQ for years and now can't get it because it's on backorder," she explained.

The dentist wasn't an isolated case. Other medical providers around the country have jumped on the hoarding bandwagon, trying to amass a supply of a drug that is not yet proven to work on COVID-19 and that should be reserved for the sickest patients if it is.'

https://www.thedaily...s-cure?ref=home

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 March 2020 - 12:06 AM

#725 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 24 March 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

itd be nice if he didn't look like a nervous wreck every single effing time he was doing a conference. Quite the contrast to JT

Im also livid at the fact he announced hed be shutting down non essential things, and not even provide a list at the same time. I was worried my work would be shut down (despite being remote). Hes a bloody moron lacking a spine.

Dude the list came out mere hours after. Relax.

You understand that companies apply for essential service (mine did) and that process takes time, right?

Frig sake. I don’t like Doug much either...but he’s honestly doing a great job during a crisis...Justin is calmer, but he’s falling behind on actually doing stuff instead of just suggesting it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 March 2020 - 01:43 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#726 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:04 AM

'Terrence McNally, Tony award-winning playwright, dies of coronavirus complications

[...] McNally won two Tony Awards for writing the books for the musicals "Ragtime" in 1998 and "Kiss of the Spider Woman" in 1993. He won two more for his plays "Love! Valour! Compassion!" and "Master Class."

McNally was also behind dozens of other works such as the musicals "Anastasia" and "The Full Monty," and "Mothers and Sons," a play about a mother whose son died of AIDS, according to Playbill.com.

McNally, who was married to Broadway producer Tom Kirdahy, was openly gay and often wrote about the lives of gay men in his plays.

Actors mourned his loss on Twitter.

"Terrence McNally was a legend among legends on Broadway," actor George Takei tweeted. "If you are an actor, there's a good chance you have performed one of his works. If not, you surely will in your career, he was that prolific and gifted."

Actor Mark Hamill quoted McNally in his tweet, saying, "'A lot of people stop learning in life and that's their tragedy.' - Terrence McNally, one of the most brilliant and prolific playwrights... EVER."'

'African Jazz Legend Manu Dibango Dies of Coronavirus

[...] famous for fusing jazz, funk, and sounds from his home country Cameroon—is one of the first global stars to die in the pandemic. “It is with deep sadness that we announce you the loss of Manu Dibango, our Papy Groove,” a statement from his official Facebook page read. His 1972 single, “Soul Makossa,” was a global hit that made its way to the United States, Europe and Africa at the start of the disco era. According to The New York Times, Michael Jackson quoted part of the song in his 1983 song “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” and Rihanna later sampled that piece in her 2007 hit “Don’t Stop the Music.” Dibango later sued them both in 2009, and Jackson’s estate settled the case out of court. “Soul Makossa” is reportedly still widely sampled in hip-hop songs.'

https://www.thedaily...avirus?ref=home

'Et la nuit s'étend sur le village'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 March 2020 - 03:12 AM

#727 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 March 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

You understand that companies apply for essential service (mine did) and that process takes time, right?

Frig sake. I don’t like Doug much either...but he’s honestly doing a great job during a crisis...Justin is calmer, but he’s falling behind on actually doing stuff instead of just suggesting it.

I wont go much past 'decent', but he's holding the line at least.

PM JT... look, I have no special insight, but every single decision he makes now is going to have impact on lives, economics, and politics. I believe that the lives come first (unlike Trump), but nothing is easy or fast just now and most of the practical decisions have to be made at the prov level. When Federal shit starts to happen fast is when we'll know things are REALLY fncked.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#728 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:41 AM

'Vladimir Putin donned a hazmat suit and respirator on Tuesday during a visit to a hospital treating coronavirus patients and the mayor of Moscow said the outbreak in the Russian capital was much worse than official figures showed.'

https://www.reuters....2ZnXsbLv4E0J4Aw

Posted Image

But he was shirtless underneath.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 March 2020 - 04:48 AM

#729 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:46 AM

I like how Putin has his own colour so you know he's important in a crowd.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#730 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:56 AM

I have to say I really appreciate the time you guys with scientific knowledge in this field take to explain matters to the rest of us morons. It's interesting and educational and a little calming, despite it all.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#731 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

View PostAbyss, on 25 March 2020 - 03:42 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 March 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

I wont go much past 'decent', but he's holding the line at least.

PM JT... look, I have no special insight, but every single decision he makes now is going to have impact on lives, economics, and politics. I believe that the lives come first (unlike Trump), but nothing is easy or fast just now and most of the practical decisions have to be made at the prov level. When Federal shit starts to happen fast is when we'll know things are REALLY fncked.

For sure. I still hate the guy and a bunch of the decisions he's making benefit his corporate cronies to boot. But in the face of a disaster, he's handling it well and you could knock me over with a feather, I thought he'd bungle it. But he dropped the partisan bullshit, stopped thinking about just his voters and started thinking about the province as a whole. I have to give him credit. This will (sadly) probably get him re-elected though...I have mixed feelings about that.

I don't want FAST from Trudeau....I want decisive and forceful from Trudeau. He's very good at speaking to us, very good at his job probably 70% of the time...but a bunch of his early press conferences didn't have the serious tone that his most recent one took on. People were flouting the rules because he didn't say you MUST, he said something much more open ended and both non-essential businesses AND Queens students didn't take him seriously as a result. Ford on the other hand looked like he was about to cry in every conference....that told me he understands the gravity of all this, and he scolded the people who went out who didn't have to. If we were doing scorecards, Doug MIGHT be winning. As much of a bad taste as that leaves in my mouth.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#732 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

This deserves a Darwin Award. A Rwandan who broke the stay at home order to go fishing was eaten by a crocodile.

https://www.bbc.com/...post_type=share
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#733 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 25 March 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

This deserves a Darwin Award. A Rwandan who broke the stay at home order to go fishing was eaten by a crocodile.

https://www.bbc.com/...post_type=share

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes.

#734 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:01 PM

Oh man things are getting messy here today.

Had a dry-run in the covid specific theatre, followed by our first suspected case. Went well really; got some practise with the PPE, and when you've got a gown and visor everything seems a bit better.

Only, while we were doing that, our high dependency unit has planned to bring at least 4 patients over to keep them in our recovery room. Everyone's getting trained in how to look after ventilated patients.

Two of our managers who are overseeing all this have gone off, pretty much AWOL, with stress or whatever, leaving the department relying on those who can handle things better.

Warming up now.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#735 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostTraveller, on 25 March 2020 - 04:01 PM, said:

Oh man things are getting messy here today.

Had a dry-run in the covid specific theatre, followed by our first suspected case. Went well really; got some practise with the PPE, and when you've got a gown and visor everything seems a bit better.

Only, while we were doing that, our high dependency unit has planned to bring at least 4 patients over to keep them in our recovery room. Everyone's getting trained in how to look after ventilated patients.

Two of our managers who are overseeing all this have gone off, pretty much AWOL, with stress or whatever, leaving the department relying on those who can handle things better.

Warming up now.

Oof, sounds crazy. Stay sane as you can. Support here if you need it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

#736 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:41 PM

I'll take it as good news and not an attempt for Boris to claim we're all ok and be the guy who beat the distancing...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#737 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, our Department is part of that £20 million bid so I will be one of the ones processing the samples. That is, once I am out of quarantine again due to my wife defeloping a cough over the weekend. I think our hospital is one of the five NHS Trusts in England involved in this research.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#738 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 March 2020 - 04:54 PM

We don't actually do any extraction ourselves at present, so far we are just collecting patient samples (nose/throat swabs, urine, faeces, blood) and processing the blood samples for plasma and white blood cells, which then get shipped on to Liverpool for processing and sequencing. We do have some things in the pipeline though, isolating PBMCs for downstream research applications, as well as development of novel ELISA tests.

But yeah, I think Sanger is the big player in this work.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 25 March 2020 - 04:54 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#739 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:28 PM

No, as far as I am aware, Sanger is one of the major players at least in the work that we are involved with. Luckily we dont have to process anything but the blood samples ourselves, the rest just goes straight in the -80 freezer 😁

#740 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

'Opinion | I regret that I have but one grandparent to give for my country'

https://www.washingt...8FbZfG9tmm33eso

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic