Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#761 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:09 AM

My ex girlfriend got Coronavirus and now has pneumonia... this hits pretty close to home for me. She’s on a breathing machine at home now.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#762 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:47 AM

I'm watching an interview with an army corps engineer on the Rachel Maddow show about the hospitals they're building inn New York.

This guy, Lieutenant General Todd Semonite, is great. Could you guys just hand this problem over to these engineers for a month? I'd feel so much more sure about the future.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 27 March 2020 - 07:47 AM

#763 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:00 AM

I have a bad feeling America's numbers are going to explore next week.

The guys I work for have come through in a Hella impressive and surprising way.

They've got the PAYE guys sorted into the 80% deal and they're giving us self employed lads a small sick pay allowance to keep essentials going until we get onto the relief scheme (that could take a month)

#764 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

Glad to hear that Mac.

An old uni friend who I follow on FB is doing the most extraordinary stuff due to covid. He lives in London and I've been FB stalking him for years as he is involved in this weird sub culture going to Burning Man and travelling Europe learning about self-sufficiency and off grid living. It is bonkers because at uni he was just into PC games and drugs! I have a suspicion he still is and this is all FB / insta faux curation of his life. But anyway. He and 3 friends have left London and are renting a house out in the sticks. The only interaction they have is for food shopping (this started before government lockdown) where one wears a full gas mask and 2 pairs of latex gloves. They have a routine for the driver touching various parts of the car and the shopper other stuff and removing glove layers. Then they bleach bath all of their purchases outside the house before taking them inside 24 hours later. WTF?! If this was more deadly I would be trying to move in with them (I watched Contagion last night) but it's mental. I can't stop checking his FB updates :D This is also a nice reminder that in the event of an apocalypse I would just rather die because the people left afterwards will be total dicks.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#765 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:04 AM

I said something like that to my wife last night. If this is the Apocalypse I wish it'd hurry up and kill us all...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#766 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:17 AM

Soon the PPE wars will start, then the god.emperor will reveal himself and guide us through

#767 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

Boris tests positive. Nice to see if you're rich you can get all the help you need while the frontline staff still don't have it...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#768 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:52 AM

Whether you like your prime minister or not, it's pretty important that your countries leadership remains healthy, if nothing else to give the populace some semblance of order and control.

#769 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:41 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 27 March 2020 - 05:20 AM, said:

Sorry.

We’re you able to find out the likely source of infection or is it one of the unknowns that’s popping up?

She’s an unknown in Dallas.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#770 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

Oh, NOW he likes the NHS ...

https://www.news.com...9faa1410ba322fa

In his video address, Mr Johnson said his condition was “mild” and he had a “temperature and a persistent cough.”

“And, on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer, I’ve taken a test. That has come out positive.”

“So I am working from home. I’m self-isolating. And that’s entirely the right thing to do. But be in no doubt that I can continue, thanks to the wizardry of modern technology, to communicate with all my top team to lead the national fightback against coronavirus.

“And I want to thank everybody who’s involved, I want to thank, above all, our amazing NHS staff. It was very moving last night to join in that national clap for the NHS.

“But it’s not just the NHS, it’s our police, our social care workers, teachers, everybody who works in schools, DWP staff.

“I want to thank everybody who’s working to keep our country going through this epidemic. And we will get through it. And the way we’re going to get through it is, of course, by applying the measures that you’ll have heard so much about.

“And the more effectively we all comply with those measures, the faster our country will come through this epidemic and the faster we’ll bounce back.

“So thank you to everybody who’s doing what I’m doing, working from home, to stop the spread of the virus from household to household.

“That’s the way we’re going to win, we’re going to beat it, and we’re going to beat it together.

“Stay at home, protect the NHS, and save lives.”
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#771 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:49 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 27 March 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

Glad to hear that Mac.

An old uni friend who I follow on FB is doing the most extraordinary stuff due to covid. He lives in London and I've been FB stalking him for years as he is involved in this weird sub culture going to Burning Man and travelling Europe learning about self-sufficiency and off grid living. It is bonkers because at uni he was just into PC games and drugs! I have a suspicion he still is and this is all FB / insta faux curation of his life. But anyway. He and 3 friends have left London and are renting a house out in the sticks. The only interaction they have is for food shopping (this started before government lockdown) where one wears a full gas mask and 2 pairs of latex gloves. They have a routine for the driver touching various parts of the car and the shopper other stuff and removing glove layers. Then they bleach bath all of their purchases outside the house before taking them inside 24 hours later. WTF?! If this was more deadly I would be trying to move in with them (I watched Contagion last night) but it's mental. I can't stop checking his FB updates :D This is also a nice reminder that in the event of an apocalypse I would just rather die because the people left afterwards will be total dicks.

A close friend of my wife has a child with leukemia. The only thing different that they're doing is that they're using regular cloth masks and not a gas mask. They're also doing things like moving their mail into the garage to sit for four days before they touch it.

They're that scared of having the immunocompromised child get it and they're going a little overboard. I dunno what's up with the person you're following though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#772 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

I just saw this Newsweek article on Reddit. I say this with the utmost respect for your country but you Americans are utterly fucked. Your president is actively working against his people's survival.

Reading this article and looking at the statistics, you're going to drown in bodybags and Trump will wash his hands of the mess.

TRUMP CLAIMS U.S. STATES DON'T NEED THE AMOUNT OF VENTILATORS THEY'RE ASKING FOR: 'I DON'T BELIEVE YOU NEED 40,000 OR 30,000'

BY JEFFERY MARTIN ON 3/26/20 AT 10:36 PM EDT

President Donald Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity on Thursday evening that he believes that the coronavirus battle will not require the number of medical equipment pieces that have been requested by some states.

Trump has been the subject of criticism over the distribution of medical equipment from federal stockpiles, with some state governors saying they do not have enough ventilators available to properly care for patients hospitalized with COVID-19.

"FEMA says, 'we're sending 400 ventilators," New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said at a Wednesday news conference. "Really? What am I going to do with 40 ventilators when I need 30,000?"

Newsweek reached out to Governor Cuomo's office for comment but did not receive a response in time for publication.

"I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said for some areas are just bigger than they're going to be," Trump said. "I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, at a major hospital sometimes they'll have two ventilators. All of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"

"Look, it's a very bad situation," the president continued. "We haven't seen anything like it. But the end result is we gotta get back to work and I think we can start by opening up certain parts of the country."

While many lawmakers have asked Trump to use the powers of the Defense Production Act (DPA) in order to impel American manufacturers to create more medical equipment, the president said companies have "stepped up" and volunteered to make them on their own.

"I haven't had to use [the DPA]," Trump said. "We had Ford step up, General Motors step up, 3M step up, so many companies stepped up and they're making vast amounts of things but when you talk about ventilators, that's sort of like buying a car. It's very expensive, it's a very intricate piece of equipment, heavily computerized and the good ones are very very expensive."

"They say, like Governor Cuomo and others, we want 30,000 of them. 30,000!" Trump exclaimed. "You go to hospitals, they'll have one in a hospital and now all of a sudden everybody's asking for these vast numbers."

However, Trump said his relationship with Cuomo had improved and that New York would be receiving an adequate amount of help, if not everything the governor had asked for.

President Donald Trump said Thursday he doesn't believe U.S. states need as much medical equipment to fight coronavirus as they have asked for.

"I don't think that certain things will materialize," Trump said, "a lot of equipment is being asked for that I don't think they'll need, but we're building four hospitals, four medical centers and many other things."

Trump announced Thursday during a coronavirus task force news briefing that the USNS Comfort, a hospital ship, was expected to dock in New York Harbor to assist health care workers with coronavirus patients. Not originally planned to complete retrofitting for coronavirus care for another three weeks, Trump said the ship was expected to arrive Saturday.

"This is tremendous," Trump told Hannity. "These are warships. These are ships that take care of the soldiers in battles and they are big and powerful."

As a comparison, Denmark closed down relatively quickly. Of a population of around 5,6 million we have 2000 confirmed infected, of which 430 are hospitalized and 89 are in a respirator. The US is waaay past that and haven't closed down many places. And Trump thinks the bigger cities with millions of of people will get by with 400 respirators?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 27 March 2020 - 02:43 PM

#773 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:15 PM

Gotta keep the Capitalist ship sailing Apt! Got to think of the shareholders and CEO's!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#774 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:48 PM

"These are warships. These are ships that take care of the soldiers in battles and they are big and powerful."

Does he actually think that matters in this case?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#775 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 March 2020 - 08:00 AM, said:

I have a bad feeling America's numbers are going to explore next week.

The guys I work for have come through in a Hella impressive and surprising way.

They've got the PAYE guys sorted into the 80% deal and they're giving us self employed lads a small sick pay allowance to keep essentials going until we get onto the relief scheme (that could take a month)

Given the current conditions and failures its gonna continue to ramp up exponetially. NYC is hard hit but it will spread to the other big cities and repeat in time. The mixed messaging on social distancing etc is crazy.

I cant help but feel that the chinese numbers are utter bulshit though. China paltued at 80k with 3 k deaths. The us is growing exponetially past 80k but only up to 1 k deaths. Chinese deaths are too high for the same numbers or their cases or too low.

Its amazing how well korea or hong kong is doing though, compared to the US for example. A population that listens to the adivce, was prepared and took the warnings seriously.

#776 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

given the amount of people in italy that have tested positive and were asymptomatic Chinas numbers are crap, a lack of testing

#777 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 March 2020 - 03:59 PM, said:

given the amount of people in italy that have tested positive and were asymptomatic Chinas numbers are crap, a lack of testing

The closest to realistic numbers are probably germany. Who does a lot of mass testing.

Which means most other numbers for infected are off by a lot possibly more then an order of mangitude for italy and a couple of other places.

This post has been edited by Chance: 27 March 2020 - 04:06 PM

#778 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:06 PM

havent been following internationally that closely but I know as of 2 weeks ago SK had the highest test per million rate? (and unsurprisingly the US one of the lowest)

#779 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:10 PM

The explanation I've heard is that Asia learned from SARS and H1N1 and we did not. Now we're learning the hard way.

#780 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:24 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 March 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

havent been following internationally that closely but I know as of 2 weeks ago SK had the highest test per million rate? (and unsurprisingly the US one of the lowest)

Currently it seems to be United Arab Emirates but I go by the assumption that it easier to compare european nations with each other, they are at least a bit more similiar and Germany is currently way ahead on testing among european nations even if australia is ahead among "western" nations.

This post has been edited by Chance: 27 March 2020 - 04:24 PM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users