Malazan Empire: Cause - The Malazan Yank! - Malazan Empire

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cause - The Malazan Yank! Tell me about the land of the Free, the home of the Brave!

#141 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 November 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

'Sweets' (or what we call candy here in the U.S.) is pretty universal, isn't it? You can pretty much find most of the popular candy everywhere, right?

Not a huge sweet tooth person myself, but when the tooth fairy tells me it's ok, I do like myself some Skittles.

If you are here around the beginning February, then you should track down Girl Scouts selling cookies (they usually push their 'crack' outside supermarkets/grocery stores). I doubt Girl Scout Cookies are something that are widely available outside the U.S., so should be something new to those recently arrived here. Get a box of Thin Mints and put them in the freezer and enjoy. Also, go for any of the peanut/peanut butter type cookies - I think they are called Tagalongs and Do-si-dos

Finally, to piss off Trump, get some Oreos. I sorta remember he was mad at them or something because they were closing a factory here and moving it to Mexico. Oreo cookies dipped in a glass of ice cold whole milk is a staple every kid with red, white, and blue running through his veins grew up on.

We get skittles and oreas here. Don't get girl scout cookies. Are they actual girl scout brands? I thought they were available year round?

We don't get Hershey, we don't get twizzlers, we get m&ms but only regular chocolate and peanut. There mus tbe laods of stuff we don't get that I don't even know about.

#142 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostCause, on 29 November 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

'Sweets' (or what we call candy here in the U.S.) is pretty universal, isn't it? You can pretty much find most of the popular candy everywhere, right?

Not a huge sweet tooth person myself, but when the tooth fairy tells me it's ok, I do like myself some Skittles.

If you are here around the beginning February, then you should track down Girl Scouts selling cookies (they usually push their 'crack' outside supermarkets/grocery stores). I doubt Girl Scout Cookies are something that are widely available outside the U.S., so should be something new to those recently arrived here. Get a box of Thin Mints and put them in the freezer and enjoy. Also, go for any of the peanut/peanut butter type cookies - I think they are called Tagalongs and Do-si-dos

Finally, to piss off Trump, get some Oreos. I sorta remember he was mad at them or something because they were closing a factory here and moving it to Mexico. Oreo cookies dipped in a glass of ice cold whole milk is a staple every kid with red, white, and blue running through his veins grew up on.

We get skittles and oreas here. Don't get girl scout cookies. Are they actual girl scout brands? I thought they were available year round?

We don't get Hershey, we don't get twizzlers, we get m&ms but only regular chocolate and peanut. There mus tbe laods of stuff we don't get that I don't even know about.

Girl scout cookies are usually sold by girl scouts. You aren't missing much by not having had them. The cookies are mediocre at best. It is more of a support your neighbors kids and what not by buying them.

Here is Gordan Ramsey trying girl scout cookies for the first and most likely only time.

How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#143 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

We don't get Hershey,

Count yourself lucky. An affront to chocolate. Probably one of those things that you need to grow up with and not know any better. Foul aftertaste.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#144 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

Not knowing what you have available in your country, I can't really make much in the way of recommendations, other then try what catches your eye that may be new to you. As far as GS Cookies, don't let that prick Gordon Ramsey sway your opinion. They're not mama's home baked cookies or anything, but I'd put them up against most mass produced cookies you can find stocked at most grocery stores.

#145 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

Yah, Girl Scout Cookies (particularly Thin Mints) are the bomb. THAT SAID, a brand called Keebler makes variations of them year round (Thin Mints = Grasshoppers, Samoas = Coconut Dreams, etc.) and you shouldn't have trouble finding those in supermarkets.

Also, if you wanna get super fat super quick, you should find a good (non-chain) donut shop in the area (I'm not dissing chains, per se, but there are some specialty donut shops that get super creative and indulgent).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#146 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

View PostGorefest, on 29 November 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

We don't get Hershey,

Count yourself lucky. An affront to chocolate. Probably one of those things that you need to grow up with and not know any better. Foul aftertaste.

^This.

How anyone can make chocolate disgusting I'll never know but most of the nation thinks chocolate should taste like that :)

Look at their logo even - I can only conclude that steaming turd on the right is a principal ingredient

Posted Image
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#147 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

American chocolate in general is vastly inferior.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#148 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 November 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

American chocolate in general is vastly inferior.

Fun fact... this is done deliberately to replicate the taste of American chocolate from back when the process for making it didn't allow for better taste.
Circa the 70s or so, while Europe was making delicious chocolate with real milk and unicorn poo or whatever, America was using milk powder, low qual cocoa, massive amounts of preservatives, etc.
And in the 90s or so when Big Chocolate tried to update, sales plummeted because it didn't taste the way adults thought it should, they assumed it was 'off' and wouldn't buy it for their kids either.

SOURCE: stuff on the Internet.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#149 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 November 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

Not knowing what you have available in your country, I can't really make much in the way of recommendations, other then try what catches your eye that may be new to you. As far as GS Cookies, don't let that prick Gordon Ramsey sway your opinion. They're not mama's home baked cookies or anything, but I'd put them up against most mass produced cookies you can find stocked at most grocery stores.

Yes you shouldn't eat those either. I end up with boxes of GS cookies each year. Usually end up throwing most of them out. Go to an actual bakery and get cookies or cupcakes or a tart or something actually yummy.

You can get good chocolate in the US you just have to look for it. For instance the folks at Vosges are doing great things.

http://www.vosgescho...ork_free_events

#150 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:05 PM

I once ordered some "cocoa nibs" from an importer who buys chocolates from around the globe (I read they have health benefits - full of a particular antioxidant). Ewwwww weeeee, were they bitter though.

Again about Girl Scout cookies though, make up your own mind. If you get the right ones (as I talk about up thread), they are actually really tasty. Don't fall for the "you have to go to some hipster asshole who opened up his own chocolateria located in a gentrified part of the city where he only uses locally sourced ingredients" bullshit as your only option. Sure those hipster shit fucks can do a good job, but you'll pay an arm and leg. Leave them to special occasions. Nothing wrong with grabbing a thin mint ice cold out of the freezer and getting your munch on.

Another experience that may be new to you as you explore this wondours land is the movie going options for snacks. I suggest popcorn, a box of Goobers and a Wild Cherry ICEE. Alternate a handful of popcorn with a handful of Goobers. Sip the ICEE as needed. Watch out for brain freeze though.

#151 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

I am pretty sure most cinema's around the world sell popcorn...
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#152 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostGorefest, on 29 November 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

I am pretty sure most cinema's around the world sell popcorn...

They Do. But in what universe is a red ICEE equivalent to a red Slush Puppy! Whats a goober?

#153 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

American chocolate is nasty! Even the stuff we get here in Norway too, like Snickers and such, taste terrible in the US.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#154 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

My preferred movie snack is burgers/fries or pizza snuck in from a place better than anything available in the movie theatre.

And beer, which is now becoming widely available in evening showings i'm pleased to report which saves me the trouble of sneaking it in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#155 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Personally I turn the volume all the way up on my phone. Then I connect it to a personal Bose bluetooth speaker which is in my coat. Then I turn my phones screen brightness to the highest level and set it to remain in an on state. I also have a tendancy to surp my drinks very loudly and spew popcorn out of my mouth as I laugh loudly during important conversations in the movie. I do all of that because that is the best way to enjoy a movie at the theater.

At home the light are low all phones are off and people quietly make bathroom runs and never talk.

#156 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

I've more then once asked a person to turn off their phones or I would get the usher. They shut it down real fast. One time I asked a girlfriend of some guy to do the same. She tried to get her boyfriend involved, but when he turned around to have a look at who he would be dealing with, he quickly turned around and tried to be discreet about waving her to comply with my request. Lets just say the phone went off.

Eating is not a problem if you don't crunch your popcorn like a pig. So I've not a problem if you make an effort to be respectful of others.

BTW. Goobers is chocolate covered peanuts. So, probably not something you find globally (not sure though). But yeah, if you find yourself on these shores, give it a go. Again, handful of popcorn, handful of Goobers. Sip Wild Cherry ICEE as needed. Thank me later.

#157 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:05 PM

Chocolate covered peanuts not found globally. Erm. Been abroad much? 😁

#158 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:53 PM

Aww, he may have phrased it kind of as an assumption, but I think he's just trying not to assume that American movie theater staples are global staples. Plus in the U.S. the vast majority of theater candy is dominated by Nestle (Goobers, Raisinets, and Sno Caps) and Hersheys (Whoppers, Milk Duds, Reese's), so with how hated those brands are internationally, it's fair imo for an American to have no idea what's ubiquitous in other countries.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#159 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:58 PM

Reece's Peanut Butter Cups are where it's at. Amirite?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#160 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

I was under the assumption in England a nice spot of tea and some boring soda crackers or biscuits were the option. In Australia, I figured vegemite smeared on prawns right off the barbie was the go to. From Scandinavia countries, some rotting herring on a a stale slice of rye bread with a bump of schnapps was how to snack during a movie. From Canada, some french fries drowned in curds and gravy and some maple syrup to wash it down is the rage. So, just giving you what my go to is. Try it or not, it's your decision. If you want to bring a plate of sheep's stomach filled with oatmeal, carrots, celery, and onions into the theater, have at it. Just know that if the funk makes my stomach churn, I'll change the situation.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users