Malazan Empire: Cause - The Malazan Yank! - Malazan Empire

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cause - The Malazan Yank! Tell me about the land of the Free, the home of the Brave!

#101 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:05 PM

My colleague is going to New york and asked if she can get me anything. Obviously something small Probably Sweets.

What's the best thing to get. So far I'm thinking mint m and ms

#102 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

All the Halloween candies are already out, if you want some of those. Bat and pumpkin shaped Reese's cups, etc.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#103 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:01 PM

Pumpkin Reece's. YUM.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#104 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

Cause Malazan Yank here!

We will be going to the US of A in January to pick up our greencard and explore our future home! Have family in new York and phoenix so will probably spend most time in these cities. What are the must things to see and do!

Also 350$ for Hamilton tickets! 350$ is this a mistake!

#105 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

$350 for a musical??? :(

Are you in the front row? Do the actors refer to you by name as a major benefactor? Backstage pass?

Things to see and do? Hmmm ... besides visit Malazyanks I'd suggest ... Canada.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 06 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#106 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:03 PM

View PostCause, on 06 November 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

Cause Malazan Yank here!

We will be going to the US of A in January to pick up our greencard and explore our future home! Have family in new York and phoenix so will probably spend most time in these cities. What are the must things to see and do!

If you choose a day you want to see Hamilton and then go to the TKTS booth in Times Square early on that day, you can usually get highly discounted tickets.

Alternatively, you can visit the theater's box office in person a few weeks before you'd want to go, and ask them what tickets they have. I did that and got box seats for 200/ea over the summer (still expensive by itself, but for Hamilton and for such good seats, they were dirt cheap).

Also, have you decided where you're living?

#107 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 06 November 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

Cause Malazan Yank here!

If you choose a day you want to see Hamilton and then go to the TKTS booth in Times Square early on that day, you can usually get highly discounted tickets.

Alternatively, you can visit the theater's box office in person a few weeks before you'd want to go, and ask them what tickets they have. I did that and got box seats for 200/ea over the summer (still expensive by itself, but for Hamilton and for such good seats, they were dirt cheap).

Also, have you decided where you're living?

I cant wrap my head around even $200 FOR Hamilton tickets. Is it that good? That woud make it the most exensive entertainment I have ever bought!

Not decided where to live yet. This is just a pick up the greencard trip. Probably wont immigrate until Q3 or Q4 of 2019. Need to finish off my ccontract, sell my car. Move money across. Hopefully will set up a bank account and secured credit card on this trip to start generating a credit score.

#108 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

... family in new York ...What are the must things to see and do!

No, it's Broadway. But per upthread, try the TKS booth. Even if they don't have Hamilton (and i would go in assuming they will not have Hamilton) you'll have a choice of a bunch of other productions worth your dollars.

Assuming you plan to be in NYC, i recommend eating everything, everywhere, but also these places:

https://taodowntown.com/

https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/

https://www.bluesmoke.com/
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#109 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:28 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 November 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

$350 for a musical??? :(

Are you in the front row? Do the actors refer to you by name as a major benefactor? Backstage pass?

Things to see and do? Hmmm ... besides visit Malazyanks I'd suggest ... Canada.

$350 for a Hamilton ticket - even four years after its debut - will have you towards the back on either of the two levels.

My friend has gone and says it's a small theater, so even a back row seat will be kinda close to the action.

The tickets for hot Broadway shows do sell weeks or months in advance, so ensure that you have as much lead time as you possibly can to get your tickets. I think at one point, Hamilton was sold out 8 months in advance.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#110 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

That's a fifth of my salary, to see a 2 hour play!

Madness

#111 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostCause, on 06 November 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

Madness

Different people value different things.

I tend to not go to live theater because I'm deaf and even with interpreters, it's not the terrific experience many have.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#112 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

You could always go off-Broadway and see someone's 3 hour monologue about their first boner or whatever.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#113 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:44 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 November 2018 - 07:46 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 06 November 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

Madness

Different people value different things.

I mean, I've seen Hamilton. It's worth it.

Didn't quite pay that much mind you...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#114 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:08 PM

I Mean I know I get screwed on the exchange rate but 350 dollars is a month's rent on a decent apartment here with a roommate.

#115 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

A month's rent for 350 dollars? Where in the States do you plan to settle? Because I think you may have to re-evaluate your budget.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#116 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

A month's rent on a decent apartment in Manhattan* starts around 2000$ US. It's fucked up, but that makes Hamilton seem cheap(ish) in comparison.

Welcome to New York City — where everything is inflated, nobody's happy, and public transit sucks (unless you live at or above 40 stories in a skyscraper and have never used public transit).

But damn, we have some really good food!

*Keep in mind the difference between New York City (Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island) and just Manhattan alone. Some parts of New York City are reasonably priced; no parts of Manhattan are.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 06 November 2018 - 11:07 PM

#117 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

Yip A decent 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, kitchen, living room/Dining room ground floor apartment with small patio and garden in a complex here can cost about 700 dollars a month in rent (excluding electricity and internet etc). So split between 2 people, 350 each. I know manhattan is obviously expensive and more expensive than most cities in America and the exchange rate screws me. According to Big max index the rand is undervalued by about half! Still I cant wrap my head around that pricing! 350 dollars is half an ipad, half a decent smart TV. Its half the cost of the plane I will be taking to and back from America. I also see most Broadway shows cost around 60-100 dollars which is still pricey but perhaps within what I would be willing to spend. Surely even for people living in manhattan that's a decent chunk of change.

Cost of living in USA will be higher no doubt but assuming I can find a job, hopefully 5% unemployment and having a PhD will mean I can, I also expect to earn more. I think I earn only slightly higher after tax here than US minumim wage when you factor in the exchange rate. Sadly my savings will be obliterated! On a positive note though I wont have student debt! YAY.

From my perspective. Electronics are half price in the US. Food is 2-3 times as expensive at restaurants (tipping is double), alcohol is 4-5 times as expensive (luckily I don't drink). Labour is 10 times as expensive. Here you can hire a maid/gardener/painter etc for 5 days a week, 8 hours a day for the whole month for approx. 175$ and if you actually pay them minimum wage you deserve to go to hell. Interestingly groceries appear to be about the same.

#118 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

The Broadway Hamilton ticket price thing is also a function of demand. It's far from the first show to open to massive demand and capitalize on it. WICKED did the same, among others.

HAMILTON sells out again and again, despite those prices. The price will stay high (and the run will continue without scheduled end) as long as it continues to sell out, then start dropping. At a certain point it will enter 'normal' Broadway pricing, unless they take the production on the road rather than wait for the hype to fade.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#119 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

Hamilton is already on the road as it were by opening in Chicago, LA, SF and a bunch of other places (incl London).

I doubt it's that's much everywhere.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#120 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:49 PM

Operation Make America Great again by introducing more Cause into the mix is a go!

I will enter the USA for two weeks, approx 28th dec to January 12th. I will arrive in new york. I need an awesome itinerary. What should I do, what should I see! I think a train ride to DC will be in order. Are there any other cities worth a quick visit. I only have about 12 days in america so cant waste a lot of time moving around I guess but there is so much to see!

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users