Malazan Empire: Cause - The Malazan Yank! - Malazan Empire

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cause - The Malazan Yank! Tell me about the land of the Free, the home of the Brave!

#121 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:12 AM

Never been to NY so i cant comment on much, but if being shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of drunk strangers on New Years sounds fun, Times Square on New Years Eve is supposedly awesome.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#122 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 November 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

Never been to NY so i cant comment on much, but if being shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of drunk strangers on New Years sounds fun, Times Square on New Years Eve is supposedly awesome.

DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

#123 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 22 November 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 22 November 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

Nothing sounds less appealing. I treat new years eve as just another night.

#124 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:19 AM

First off it is going to be fucking cold. Windy and snowy. Have a warm coat,scarf, hat and gloves. Also a decent or two pair of shoes. The only place in the us that has decent intracity trains in in the NE corridor. Boston to NYC and to Philly and DC. So take advantage of those. Otherwise you will be dragging your ass to the airport and in NYc that sucks. If you land in JFK either take the air trans to the subway and into the city or get a lift. The cabs make me sick. They never have shocks and the roads suck.

You could spend 3/4 days in NYC,Boston,DC and see a lot. If you are going to live in NYC when you move out. Spend more time there. Using the subway in the winter is great. Downbload the NYC subway app. It is awesome. Look at the other burrows. Brooklyn is going to be pricy. But queens and the Bronx aren't too bad. Further out the cheaper it is. Wander around areas to get a feel for them.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#125 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:21 AM

View PostAbyss, on 07 November 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

The Broadway Hamilton ticket price thing is also a function of demand. It's far from the first show to open to massive demand and capitalize on it. WICKED did the same, among others.

HAMILTON sells out again and again, despite those prices. The price will stay high (and the run will continue without scheduled end) as long as it continues to sell out, then start dropping. At a certain point it will enter 'normal' Broadway pricing, unless they take the production on the road rather than wait for the hype to fade.

Speaking of demand my coworker went to see Springsteen on Broadway. 1000 for cheap seats. But 3 hours of Springsteen in a 900 seat theater.

#126 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostVengeance, on 23 November 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

First off it is going to be fucking cold. Windy and snowy. Have a warm coat,scarf, hat and gloves. Also a decent or two pair of shoes. The only place in the us that has decent intracity trains in in the NE corridor. Boston to NYC and to Philly and DC. So take advantage of those. Otherwise you will be dragging your ass to the airport and in NYc that sucks. If you land in JFK either take the air trans to the subway and into the city or get a lift. The cabs make me sick. They never have shocks and the roads suck.

You could spend 3/4 days in NYC,Boston,DC and see a lot. If you are going to live in NYC when you move out. Spend more time there. Using the subway in the winter is great. Downbload the NYC subway app. It is awesome. Look at the other burrows. Brooklyn is going to be pricy. But queens and the Bronx aren't too bad. Further out the cheaper it is. Wander around areas to get a feel for them.

Yeah the air trans sounds like the plan, taxi fare from the airport must be crazy expensive!

Ill try and pack warmly but Ideally I'm gonna try and buy a few coats, jackets, gloves etc in the states. They probably work better for the weather there, SA doesn't have snow so we don't really sell winter apparel.

What is there to do or see in Boston or pHilly?

#127 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

View PostCause, on 23 November 2018 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 23 November 2018 - 05:19 AM, said:

Yeah the air trans sounds like the plan, taxi fare from the airport must be crazy expensive!

Ill try and pack warmly but Ideally I'm gonna try and buy a few coats, jackets, gloves etc in the states. They probably work better for the weather there, SA doesn't have snow so we don't really sell winter apparel.

What is there to do or see in Boston or pHilly?

Philly has liberty Bell and the Rocky steps. It was the original capital of the US. Boston has a ton of interesting things to see.

#128 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:58 PM

Errrrr.... Lots Cause. Especially Philly.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#129 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

Cause Philly and Boston are two of the oldest cities in the country.

#130 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

Haha "old"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#131 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

Boston is really cool and the National Mall in DC will keep you busy for a good couple of days. NYC museums and main attractions will keep you busy but for living potential you defo need to check the boroughs. Make sure you think you will like city living before you commit, NYC might be a shock depending where you have been before.

You should take a good look at Boston as there are probably more life science jobs around there compared NY. You may well end up in that area.

And the cold thing. God yes. Your South African ass is going to freeze ;)
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#132 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:11 PM

Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.

;) :ermm:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 November 2018 - 10:16 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#133 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:33 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 November 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

I still say look into the south. Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta.

He's got less than two weeks and not that much budget. I think he's best off staying in the northeast this trip.

When I'm back home, I'll write up several things to do around that time of year in several cities nearby.

Do not go to Times Square for New Year's Eve. It's an awful experience unless you love crowds, have a cast iron bladder that's several liters big, not really eating or drinking for the entire time, and really enjoy being on TV for a second or two.

It's alright to watch on TV from a cool bar or home, but for most people, it's a miserable experience.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#134 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:04 PM

Also I need food advice! What are the best American foods, sweets and ice creams to eat!

One of my favorite things to do in japan was to walk into a 711 every day and try something new.

#135 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostCause, on 28 November 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

Also I need food advice! What are the best American foods, sweets and ice creams to eat!

One of my favorite things to do in japan was to walk into a 711 every day and try something new.

That is a loaded question if I have ever heard one. 7-11 in the US sounds like it is vastly different then 711 in Japan. Here you will get a week old hotdog/corndog on a roller. Don't eat that. In fact don't eat any food cooked at a 7-11 ever. That is life advice.

Each region/city/neighborhood/block usually has something good to eat. NYC has some fantastic restaraunts. Whatever you have a taste for you can find someplace that is the 'worlds best'..... ;) (see the movie Elf)

In Philly a must have would be a cheese steak. Get it from Pats.

https://www.visitphi...section--item-4

In NYC you have to get a slice of NYC Pizza. Now this can be had at a ton of locations. Here are some.

https://www.thrillis...n-new-york-city

As for sweets and Icecream. There are a million different places.

You should probably go here and get a taste of a bunch of different stuff.

https://www.eataly.c...oBoCce8QAvD_BwE

#136 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

If you find yourself in certain parts of the country, then you can decide for yourself who has the best bbq.

A field guide to regional BBQ styles in America

Since you will be in DC area, you have to try the crab cakes in Baltimore.

Also, depending on where your travels take you, you can experience some of the best Mexican food around.

#137 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:27 PM

This site https://www.tvfoodmaps.com/

Say what one might about The Food Network, its shows for the most part do not spend time at crap restaurants.

I would (and have, repeatedly) go out of my way for pretty much anywhere recommended by Diners Drive-thrus & Dives, The Best Thing I Ever, any truck from Eat Street, and any any any event that featured on Carnival Eats.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#138 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

One of the very best ice creams on planet earth, at least if you like chocolate and malt, is Thrifty's Chocolate Malted Crunch. The thing is, Thrifty is a now-defunct drug store chain, but their ice cream lives on in various other chains (drug stores and apparently supermarkets) that have connections to all the mergers that ripped at Thrifty's corpse like buzzards, so it should be findable.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#139 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

Thanks guys.

and in regards to regular sweets like twizzlers and m&ms?

#140 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

'Sweets' (or what we call candy here in the U.S.) is pretty universal, isn't it? You can pretty much find most of the popular candy everywhere, right?

Not a huge sweet tooth person myself, but when the tooth fairy tells me it's ok, I do like myself some Skittles.

If you are here around the beginning February, then you should track down Girl Scouts selling cookies (they usually push their 'crack' outside supermarkets/grocery stores). I doubt Girl Scout Cookies are something that are widely available outside the U.S., so should be something new to those recently arrived here. Get a box of Thin Mints and put them in the freezer and enjoy. Also, go for any of the peanut/peanut butter type cookies - I think they are called Tagalongs and Do-si-dos

Finally, to piss off Trump, get some Oreos. I sorta remember he was mad at them or something because they were closing a factory here and moving it to Mexico. Oreo cookies dipped in a glass of ice cold whole milk is a staple every kid with red, white, and blue running through his veins grew up on.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users