Malazan Empire: Cause - The Malazan Yank! - Malazan Empire

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cause - The Malazan Yank! Tell me about the land of the Free, the home of the Brave!

#81 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

View PostCause, on 17 September 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

We construct actual showers that are usually glass boxes you stand in. A bathroom may often include both a full bath tab and a shower, or sometimes just the shower. I don't know anyone who has a bathtub that serves as their shower.

Americans are poor and prone to breaking glass.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 17 September 2018 - 11:56 AM

#82 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 September 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostCause, on 17 September 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

Let us continue my education

Shower curtains! This has to be a cultural thing. I have only ever encountered a shower curtain once in my life at some shitty bed n breakfast. We build actual showers. Why is the shower curtain such an American staple? Why do shower curtains and their comedic hijinks and the way they leave you vulnerable to serial killers feature so prominently in TV.

That's not the worst part. Lots of american bathrooms have only a bathtub with a shower head that does not detach from the wall at all. They're all crazy people.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#83 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Modern houses have showers with glass and separate tubs in the master bedroom. My sister's McMansion (built in 2002) has a walk in shower that two people can comfortably share. And yes, the shower head can be taken off the wall. She also has a stand alone bath tub that can comfortably fit two. So if you want to get clean and are in a rush you both can get in either the shower or bath tub. But more then likely it's for sexy time when the kiddos are away for over night stay at friends.

I have an older house, so shower curtains are proudly on display. Hoping to save up money and do a remodel.

#84 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 17 September 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 17 September 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

We construct actual showers that are usually glass boxes you stand in. A bathroom may often include both a full bath tab and a shower, or sometimes just the shower. I don't know anyone who has a bathtub that serves as their shower.

Americans are poor and prone to breaking glass.

I've done it my fair share. With my hand, and with my head. Yay alcohol!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#85 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

Well now I'm jealous of everyone with houses large enough to contain bathrooms large enough for both a shower and a bath. Come to the UK, there's a lot of us crammed in here.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#86 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 September 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Shower curtains! This has to be a cultural thing. I have only ever encountered a shower curtain once in my life at some shitty bed n breakfast. We build actual showers. Why is the shower curtain such an American staple? Why do shower curtains and their comedic hijinks and the way they leave you vulnerable to serial killers feature so prominently in TV.

That's not the worst part. Lots of american bathrooms have only a bathtub with a shower head that does not detach from the wall at all. They're all crazy people.

I have 3.5 bathrooms and the master has a glass shower with a bench and a separate bath. The other two full bathrooms have shower curtains.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#87 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

That's just rubbing it in.

#88 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:05 PM

I honestly think the UK method of building houses on tiny lots is a bad idea and contributes to the phenomenon of taking five hours to travel 80 miles or whatever it is.

Even if I think the USA people who hold giant houses in floodplain territory are idiots that cost us all billions regularly

This post has been edited by amphibian: 17 September 2018 - 07:06 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#89 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:31 PM

View PostVengeance, on 17 September 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

I have 3.5 bathrooms and the master has a glass shower with a bench and a separate bath. The other two full bathrooms have shower curtains.

I was there when you bought the place, of course i remember! I also remember finding empty beer bottles and some broken doors when we went to have a look at the place

#90 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:32 PM

View Postamphibian, on 17 September 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

I honestly think the UK method of building houses on tiny lots is a bad idea and contributes to the phenomenon of taking five hours to travel 80 miles or whatever it is.

Well it wasn't my idea. And it's kind of been dictated by social history and available space.

I want a larger bathroom damnit.

#91 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 17 September 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

I was there when you bought the place, of course i remember! I also remember finding empty beer bottles and some broken doors when we went to have a look at the place

Totally sounds like members getting together.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#92 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#93 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

Don't forget the graffiti on the walls and the big empty spaces where the kitchen counters should be. We left some of the doors broken for a long time...4 years I think for 1 door.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#94 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

View PostVengeance, on 17 September 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Don't forget the graffiti on the walls and the big empty spaces where the kitchen counters should be. We left some of the doors broken for a long time...4 years I think for 1 door.

hah, the one next to the stairwell? But yeah, it's been amazing seeing what you turned that dump into Posted Image

#95 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

Are banks in America very local? In my country we have about 4 major banks that cover every city and province in my country. I get the impression this is not really the case in America. Banks seems to be local to a state or even city? The bank of California etc? Or can I join the bank of California even in new York? Do you get hit with large bank fees out of state?

I realized I need to start a credit history asap, So I need to get a secured credit card and pay off like a Netflix subscription or something every month.

Also on a scale of 1- to federal prison how bad would it be for me to enter the states with a hdd filled with movies I downloaded while wearing an eye patch?

This post has been edited by Cause: 19 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

#96 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:25 AM

View PostCause, on 19 September 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

Also on a scale of 1- to federal prison how bad would it be for me to enter the states with a hdd filled with movies I downloaded while wearing an eye patch?

Isn't there something called a 'cloud' these days? Or a 'dropbox'?

Hypothetically speaking. Of course.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#97 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

Banking wise, I would set up checking/savings with a local bank. I have mine with a credit union that serves my city and surrounding area. The local ones are usually more customer friendly and easier to work with for various financial reasons (have better rates, for example), and have more branches for convenience covering the area. One of the nationally recognized banks might serve better for other reasons - credit card maybe? If you go with a national bank, do your homework and pick the one that isn't the biggest scumbag. Talk to new friends who've lived in the area for awhile to get some ideas. I mean, you're gonna have to do the networking thing to find a good PCP, vision, dentist, auto mechanic etc. Might as well include banking on that list.

As far as entering the country with a hard drive full of movies, it isn't like the TSA is going to seize it and review all of the data stored on it. They've got other crap to deal with. They might question you about it, just tell them it's for work. Also, people are taking their devices (iPads, laptops, smart phones) with them on flights and watching movies all time, so it isn't like a high priority to check if those movies they've been watching were purchased legally.

#98 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

Yeah it seems unlikely to me they would even check the contents of a packed hard drive (though nothing is ever 100% out of the question). It's more likely they will check your social media, texts, browsing history, etc. on your smart phone, but that's still not necessarily likely given you're not from a Muslim-majority or Hispanic country. Of course, TSA is one thing and Customs another, CBP is wildin out and things change rapidly lately, so it's always better to be safe than sorry.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#99 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:32 PM

If you have a combined bathtub + shower then shower curtains are the best setup as you can leave it open while taking a bath. Otherwise, glass doors are definitely the best.

Unless you have 1 bathroom shared amongst 6 roommates...

I wanna know what is up with the European hotel trend of showers that just don't have a 4th wall/curtain at all and the water sprays all over the whole bathroom.

View PostCause, on 19 September 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

Are banks in America very local? In my country we have about 4 major banks that cover every city and province in my country. I get the impression this is not really the case in America. Banks seems to be local to a state or even city? The bank of California etc? Or can I join the bank of California even in new York? Do you get hit with large bank fees out of state?

Sometimes it's just a name. Bank of Montreal isn't just in Montreal, for example.

Even if it is a small local bank, they are probably part of one or another cross-continent "network" like the Allpoint Network where you can use any ATM from that network for free regardless of what bank it belongs to.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#100 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostD, on 22 September 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

If you have a combined bathtub + shower then shower curtains are the best setup as you can leave it open while taking a bath. Otherwise, glass doors are definitely the best.

Unless you have 1 bathroom shared amongst 6 roommates...

I wanna know what is up with the European hotel trend of showers that just don't have a 4th wall/curtain at all and the water sprays all over the whole bathroom.

Huh, I thought that was an Asian thing. The first time I encountered it was in Cambodia, but it also seemed to be the standard in Indonesia.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users