Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#421 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:37 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 04 October 2022 - 07:24 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 04 October 2022 - 07:16 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 02 October 2022 - 04:34 PM, said:

I feel like this is a poor admission but I think I am watching this show because I have nothing better to do. Its terrible.

Spoiler

Re how they knew where to go...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by champ: 04 October 2022 - 08:45 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#422 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:02 PM

Spoiler

#423 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 October 2022 - 06:58 AM

Episode 6

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 07 October 2022 - 07:09 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#424 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 07 October 2022 - 07:13 AM

Ep 6 was unintentionally hilarious because of the orcs marching and chanting Nampat. Because it sounds like "N-am pat" which in Romania means "I don't have a bed". So the whole thing was hilarious.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#425 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 October 2022 - 07:42 AM

They should have reprised Where There's A Whip, There's A Way.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#426 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

Unde e rom *whipCRASH* e moarte
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#427 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 October 2022 - 10:20 AM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 07 October 2022 - 07:42 AM, said:

They should have reprised Where There's A Whip, There's A Way.

Absolute banger of a tune!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#428 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:53 PM

Episode 7!

Feel like for a penultimate episode they've left a lot of stuff for the final one...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#429 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:08 PM

Episode 7 was close to being very good in a couple of places (and some of the visuals were)... but they kept managing to botch it. Fire the directors/showrunners. And get some better writers. (One of the more memorably cheesy lines from the previews was worse in context.)

Spoiler

#430 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 October 2022 - 04:07 PM

Just caught up last night, and I'm not sure how they're going to get a satisfying conclusion in one episode. I know they're planning 5 seasons, and at this point I expect the Rings of Power to actually be next season. Though because of Sauron's meddling in the Rings, I'm not sure how it is going to work to reveal him, then do Rings next season where Celebrimbor doesn't recognize him. Though he did corrupt Numenor after they captured him, so that could work.

Overall I'm enjoying it, though I do hope the writers work to clean some things up for season 2, they've got some good pieces...

#431 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 October 2022 - 08:14 PM

Season Finale! Spoilers for reveals etc obviously.

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#432 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 October 2022 - 10:23 PM

I’m free, don’t think I’ll be back for season 2.

This has destroyed lotr cannon. It not an adaption of anything.

#433 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 October 2022 - 12:36 AM

Final episode... I lol'd multiple times. It's as if the director told the actors to be goofy---like the way one might read to a small child to make a story seem less scary or intimidating. IDK if Amazon thinks that will net them a larger audience (of small children---who will grow up watching, and continue through myriad spinoffs until they drop dead?...).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 October 2022 - 12:39 AM

#434 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 October 2022 - 02:05 PM

I thought the finale was great and am eagerly looking forward to Season 2 (whenever they get around to releasing it)! Lots of setup going on for future seasons, and I think they can do more with each of the characters now that they have set up the story. I really like that they are adding enough flaws to the Good characters, and a few positives to the Bad characters to at least make them more interesting that the standard Middle-Earth Good vs Evil.

They've had to do a lot of compression to the storyline to fit 3000 years of history into a 5 season show, so I do not mind the alterations they have had to make to the book canon for a tv series (300 years on Annatar working with Celebrimbor would be incredibly boring).

There are definitely some things they can improve with writing and characters, but I think they will be able to do it, and I think future seasons could be really good.

#435 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 October 2022 - 02:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 September 2022 - 01:23 PM, said:

This story needed to be told like INFINITY WAR....we needed to see this through Sauron's actual eyes (he should not have been hidden from us as a lazy set of red herrings) as he sets out to get the rings made and then make the One Ring eventually. That would at least be unique from what we've seen before.

'"Season one opens with: Who is Galadriel? Where did she come from? What did she suffer? Why is she driven?" [...] "We're doing the same thing with Sauron in season two. We'll fill in all the missing pieces."

[...] "Like Tony Soprano or Walter White. He's evil, but complexly evil. We felt like if we did that in season one, he'd overshadow everything else. So the first season is like Batman Begins, and the The Dark Knight is the next movie, with Sauron maneuvering out in the open. We're really excited. Season two has a canonical story. There may well be viewers who are like, 'This is the story we were hoping to get in season one!' In season two, we're giving it to them."'

[FULL ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS]

'The Rings of Power' Writers: Sauron Is Like Walter White in Season 2

... but which canonical character will be his psychiatrist?... Guess the rings of power (among other things) will be his crystal meth?

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 October 2022 - 12:49 AM

#436 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 October 2022 - 12:35 AM

Sauron is not complexly evil. He’s literally the first lieutenant of the Middle Earth version of Satan. That’s a stupid take by the show runners…Morgoth and Sauron are forces of nature evil. They don’t have complexity. Like you don’t need to explore what makes them tick. What makes them tick is being evil for evils sake.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 October 2022 - 12:36 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#437 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 October 2022 - 02:38 AM

Maybe they wanted to show something other than a moustache-twirling villain?

I know the source material is a classic tale built on classic tropes, but I don't mind they tried something slightly different in this case.

Remember, Morgoth's pride and ego caused him to do what he did (Satan/Lucifer) and he was able to bring Sauron over because of his desire for order.
It all starts somewhere and maybe those traits never fully go away.

I dunno, I don't think it detracted much. There's far worse trangressions in this story as is.

Just IMHO, YMMV.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 October 2022 - 02:39 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#438 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 October 2022 - 04:56 AM

Season 2 will end with Sauron tossing a pizza on top of Barad-dûr while uttering the menacing line "say my name."

Didn't read the article but sounds like it is PR damage control to counter the criticisms that have been pretty constant through the first season. The - stay with us, great things are ahead / you ain't seen nothing yet - type of communication.

#439 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 October 2022 - 06:18 AM

We're watching the finale tonight, but watched episode 7 yesterday and it's the first one I can say I thoroughly enjoyed. Loved the thread with the dwarves, Lenny Henry made me genuinely chuckle a lot with the Harfoots and the aftermath of Mount Doom was good.

Overall, I'd say the show is far less than the sum of its (sometimes excellent) parts. Perhaps that will settle down in the next series.

I'm with QT though. I know 100% good and evil is an old fashioned mode of storytelling, but can anyone honestly say the LOTR films suffered from Sauron lacking nuance? He's a gigantic eye who wants to take over the world, and it detracts not one bit from the story or the sense of threat he poses throughout.

Good guys having flaws, fine. I will give it the chance but honestly I'm rolling my eyes at the idea of getting into Sauron's motivations.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 16 October 2022 - 06:18 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#440 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 October 2022 - 10:05 AM

Huh, something was bothering me and I figured it out.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 October 2022 - 10:30 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users