Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#381 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:46 PM

Episode 5!

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#382 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:48 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 September 2022 - 07:46 PM, said:

Episode 5!

Spoiler

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#383 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:25 AM

Whelp….that’s it. I’m out.

The only thing I liked in that Ep was Nori’s song….everything else was more middling standing still storytelling.

Sad really, I wanted to love this show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#384 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2022 - 06:21 AM

Weird show!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#385 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:33 AM

I think I dislike every single thing that's happening on Numenor. And every time I see Gil-Galad I have to remind myself it's not a Peter Serafinowicz character satirizing fantasy. I like the Harfoots, I like Elrond and Durin, and I'm going back and forth with the story line in pre-Mordor, but it's averaging out to 'okay'.

#386 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2022 - 12:31 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 25 September 2022 - 07:33 AM, said:

I think I dislike every single thing that's happening on Numenor. And every time I see Gil-Galad I have to remind myself it's not a Peter Serafinowicz character satirizing fantasy. I like the Harfoots, I like Elrond and Durin, and I'm going back and forth with the story line in pre-Mordor, but it's averaging out to 'okay'.

Indeed. Oh and the straw that broke the camels back? That mithril has something To do with the Silmarils….feck pff already show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#387 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 September 2022 - 02:08 PM

Episode 5 repeatedly gave me the sense I was watching CRPG cut scenes---and not particularly compelling ones.

#388 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:49 PM

I am quite enjoying it so far (far more than WoT or any other fantasy I've watched recently). I know enough of the backstory that I am enjoying seeing how they fill in the pieces to try and tell it, but I don't know the backstory well enough to care if they change it much or get it wrong. It's not as good as the LOTR movies, but definitely better than The Hobbit.

I'm stlll enjoying every storyline except the Harfoots, still not sure what purpose they serve. I like that they have given a way for explain why the elves seem to be rushing for the Rings (at least the reason they think they need it, and slowly working on how the Eregion Elves and Moria Dwarves were an exception to the general Elves and Dwarves mistrust/hate each other. I am enjoying seeing some of the squabbling in Numenor to set up that eventual fall. At this point I am expecting Season 1 to end with a Loss for the Good Guys (Elves and Men mostly) basically as just returns for many of the poor and arrogant decisions made so far.

#389 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:00 PM

Famous experimental poets (and critics, and professors) Ron Silliman:

'Rings of Power is chess
House of Dragons is checkers'

'This is a test.
[...]

Poets propose sky, only to fall back on cannibalism (downhill on a skateboard).
Crudely mechanical, an adjective grinds meaning from a noun forming the perfect countenance of Elvis on black velvet.
My pockets are a jungle.
[...] -- the construction is not parallel (taster's choice), pruned tree's new sprouts.'

And Rae Armantrout:

'I agree with you. The plot and characters of Rings are interesting—but to hear an elf say
“….is not an option” is grating.'

'The very flatness
of pictures
inspires nostalgia
in the connoisseur.'

#390 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:42 PM

That’s an insane take. You can like both shows for whatever reasons appeal to you most, but Rings has ‘characters’ in the same way The Three Little Pigs has characters. Functional, yes. Legible, yes. Any depth, at all, whatsoever? Hardly. With maybe a couple exceptions, this show doesn’t have any people in it.

House of the Dragon has nothing but people in it. Well, and dragons.

So maybe Rings is like chess, with a really beautiful board and elegant pieces that follow a prescribed set of rules, but the comparison here wouldn’t be chess vs checkers, it’s chess vs a well crafted television drama.

#391 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:57 PM

I'm way behind the current episode, so based on personal experience not sure what my overall reception would be if I was caught up. But, I guess the show runners have been pushing the idea that the show is a long burn and viewers should stay with it because it will payoff ..... eventually?

Based on that assessment, not sure I will continue until seasons are complete and the critics confirm that, yes, it pays off. At that point a binge watch would probably be an option I consider... or not, because I probably won't be bothered. Who knows.

HotD has that "muh stories" fix that made the linear advertised traditional soap opera formula appealing to a large demographic. I mean, that's why GoT was so popular and why to this day, the Walking Dead shows are still going. I'm expecting to see a commercial for Palmolive dish washing soap during HotD. "Tough of grease, easy on the hands."

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 25 September 2022 - 09:58 PM

#392 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:36 AM

Regarding the mithril:
Spoiler

#393 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:17 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 25 September 2022 - 09:42 PM, said:

That’s an insane take. You can like both shows for whatever reasons appeal to you most, but Rings has ‘characters’ in the same way The Three Little Pigs has characters. Functional, yes. Legible, yes. Any depth, at all, whatsoever? Hardly. With maybe a couple exceptions, this show doesn’t have any people in it.

I agree AND I'd like to add a little spice.

They are so bereft when writing the legacy characters that the ONLY thing they can think to do to fill out a character like Isildur is to take what we know about him from the LOTR - that he failed to destroy the ring in the end after he'd gotten it and didn't follow through, plunging the world into future strife - and use that to base his whole character around...so now Young Isildur doesn't have ANY follow through, hell even his friends know him to start shit and bail out on it. The whole point of Isildur not destroying the ring is that in the time he holds it after cutting off Sauron's finger...Men in ME are generally so weak that the ring IMMEDIATELY affects him and corrupts him into keeping it...."no follow through" is not an actual character trait that Isildur needs to telegraph that future decision.

Like I thought the red herrings of "who's this person?!" all over the place were bad writing, but the way young Isildur is constructed is straight amateur-hour.

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 26 September 2022 - 10:36 AM, said:

Regarding the mithril:
Spoiler

This fact has pissed off even the most generous Tolkien nerds who have been enjoying the show...

I'v heard some people posit a few things:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2022 - 12:28 PM

#394 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2022 - 12:17 PM, said:

This fact has pissed off ... nerds

Actually I'm starting to like this show more.

#395 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:57 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 26 September 2022 - 12:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2022 - 12:17 PM, said:

This fact has pissed off ... nerds

Actually I'm starting to like this show more.

To be fair, my point was more like "Even the people who are generally enjoying this show" didn't like this thing. These are not the really troll-like people who hate the show just to hate on it.

#396 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:50 PM

What nonsense plot device are they creating around mithril?

#397 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:58 PM

View PostCause, on 26 September 2022 - 07:50 PM, said:

What nonsense plot device are they creating around mithril?

The Mithril is actually Sauron.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#398 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:25 PM

Lol

#399 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the mithril thing is bogus - although I don't have a completely encyclopedic knowledge of Tolkien's Legendarium, I'm quite certain it would have come up in the things I have read and I would have remembered it. I get the storytelling impetus of connecting mithril to the Silmarils, and hence the light of the trees... It's a dumb decision, but understandable given the kinds of storytelling decisions they seem to consistenty make - i.e. figure out the most pointless way of a thing coming to pass and do that.

Although one could argue, if one wanted to stick strictly to the source, that the solution to the elves' problem could simply have been to shave Galadriel every so often and use the offcuts... :D
btw Glorfindel is not the only elf to have offed a Balrog; during the Fall of Gondolin, Ecthelion of the Fountains also nutted one to death with his pointy helmet (Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs, no less). Yes, I am a nerd Posted Image

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 27 September 2022 - 07:48 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#400 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:10 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 27 September 2022 - 07:47 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the mithril thing is bogus - although I don't have a completely encyclopedic knowledge of Tolkien's Legendarium, I'm quite certain it would have come up in the things I have read and I would have remembered it. I get the storytelling impetus of connecting mithril to the Silmarils, and hence the light of the trees... It's a dumb decision, but understandable given the kinds of storytelling decisions they seem to consistenty make - i.e. figure out the most pointless way of a thing coming to pass and do that.

Although one could argue, if one wanted to stick strictly to the source, that the solution to the elves' problem could simply have been to shave Galadriel every so often and use the offcuts... :D
btw Glorfindel is not the only elf to have offed a Balrog; during the Fall of Gondolin, Ecthelion of the Fountains also nutted one to death with his pointy helmet (Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs, no less). Yes, I am a nerd Posted Image

I seem to recall Elves killing balrogs like it was nothing in the first age. It was a power scale shenanigan worthy of Malazan. Yes they were first age elven lords but there were several f those still around in the 3rd age too.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users