• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11261 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

I'm watching Venom. This is a pretty good film that's ruined by it's PG13 target. This would be so much more fun as a disgusting horror action film.

#11262 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:42 PM

The Venom symbiot is hilarious.

#11263 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

Finished Venom. Either the script was poorly written or a lot of material was left on the cutting room floor. The film complety fails at explaining the shift in Venoms view of Eddie and planet Earth.

And the film really needed to be R rated.

But it wasn't bad at all. I'll definitely watch a sequel but it will only get stupider if they introduce Carnage and keep it PG.

#11264 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:43 PM

Watching Equalizer 2.

I loved the first one and this seems just as good.

Denzel Washington sure is getting older. But he still has that strange force to him that makes you believe him, no matter what role he's playing.

#11265 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:12 PM

View PostAptorian, on 29 August 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

Watched Tenet earlier.

Not sure what to think about it. The writing, editing, cinematography in general is great as always with a Christopher Nolan film but the actual story and the way the inversion stuff is presented makes little sense. Great action sequences but filled with nonsense.

Maybe this is a case of the film being rewarding on a second viewing, maybe I just need somebody to make a YouTube video explaining the events in a story board format or something but mainly I just don't think the story makes much sense.

There's some large plot holes in there as is typical of time travel hijinx but I think that there's also a lot of handwaving going on.

I just saw it. I feel the same. Just not sure what to say. And I couldn't even say I really know what happened either. I've never been lost so badly through a film before. I was trying to talk to my friend about when he was inverted but driving a car that wasn't inverted and I couldn't even come up with what my question was - I was just confused. Maybe I do get it as by the end I suppose you do figure it out / Nolan let's you figure it out but I don't enjoy being left on the outside for the majority of a film.

Hmm. Weird.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11266 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:47 AM

Watched a video on Youtube last night that did a very good job of explaining the Primer timelines for anyone who has seen it. It doesn't bother to go into extrapolation a whole lot and does make one or two logical assumptions. But, it uses some pretty simple but explanatory tools to break down the most confusing stuff. It being Primer it doesn't bother to try to explain some things, but it definitely helps to clarify. If you've already seen Primer once or twice before, try looking for it. I can't quite remember the name of the video. I'll look for it later. Just thought I'd let y'all know about it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11267 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:17 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 September 2020 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 29 August 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

Watched Tenet earlier.

Not sure what to think about it. The writing, editing, cinematography in general is great as always with a Christopher Nolan film but the actual story and the way the inversion stuff is presented makes little sense. Great action sequences but filled with nonsense.

Maybe this is a case of the film being rewarding on a second viewing, maybe I just need somebody to make a YouTube video explaining the events in a story board format or something but mainly I just don't think the story makes much sense.

There's some large plot holes in there as is typical of time travel hijinx but I think that there's also a lot of handwaving going on.

I just saw it. I feel the same. Just not sure what to say. And I couldn't even say I really know what happened either. I've never been lost so badly through a film before. I was trying to talk to my friend about when he was inverted but driving a car that wasn't inverted and I couldn't even come up with what my question was - I was just confused. Maybe I do get it as by the end I suppose you do figure it out / Nolan let's you figure it out but I don't enjoy being left on the outside for the majority of a film.

Hmm. Weird.

A review I listened to pointed out that when the protagonist had his first presentation, science lady says that you're not supposed to understand the science but feel it or something like that. Which I think was Nolan's way of hand waving what ever inconsistencies and telling you to just enjoy the ride.

Which isn't very satisfying though.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 September 2020 - 06:25 AM

#11268 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:12 AM

Yes and there's a lot of "Does your head hurt yet" and "Don't think too hard about it" which I suspect are hints to the audience. I found myself missing a lot of plot points - it's a fast moving script - because I was thinking about what just happened.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11269 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:34 AM

Same here, went to see it this weekend and was left profoundly confused. I don't mind 'going for the ride' sometimes, but that is on the basis that the director will reward me in the end. With Nolan, I sometimes feel as if his entire world physics is built around a key moment towards the end where he can deliver you an emotional gut punch (e.g. Interstellar, Memento, Prestige) and you are mostly happy with the sometimes rambly worldbuilding because that punch usually delivers beautifully. This time around though, without being spoilerish, I feel the punch did not land for me because by that point I was already overwhelmed by confusion. My wife hadn't even made the connection because she'd decided to go to the toilet (she hardly ever does that during a film) when
Spoiler

I think I was just too confused all the way through to ever really get invested in any of the characters. A miss for me, and I don't think a rewatch will improve it. It will just expose more of the physics plotholes.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11270 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

And at the other end of the scale, Bill and Ted Face the Music was a fun nostalgic ride to cap off the series, and it made sense too!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11271 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 September 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

And at the other end of the scale, Bill and Ted Face the Music was a fun nostalgic ride to cap off the series, and it made sense too!

Yep, we had a blast with it. A really fun popcorn flick that fits well with the other two entries.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11272 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:30 AM

I'm in the middle of "i'm thinking of ending things" right now on Netflix. And it is just so fucking disorienting. SOMETHING is going on, but I can't pinpoint what other than time is fucked up. Is this some sort of deathbed hallucination? Dementia in realtime? It's discombobulating. And it makes me uncomfortable, which I'm pretty sure is what it's going for.... On with the show!

Edit: Done. Lol. I'm too tired to try to figure out what this movie is about. Getting old? Growing up? Nothing at all?

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 16 September 2020 - 06:06 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11273 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:54 PM

Netflix THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME was not my bag....basically a movie about the cycle of violence/crime and how it is entropic and snares everyone eventually...

Does, however, have a decent denouement:

Spoiler

But it is the very end, last scene that made it more than what the previous 2 hours had been:

Spoiler

So yeah, not a movie I liked storywise (performances are AMAZING tho)...but that final scene is phenomenally brilliant in how it caps the films philosophy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11274 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:59 PM

Rewatched SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL the other day, and damn if that still isn't one of the funniest films I've ever seen. Wilder and Pryor are both gold in it. Even tiny little asides of physical comedy in it are breathtakingly funny.

I am interested, as an adult now (last saw it in my youth) how they seemingly hired Joan Severance as the female villain solely because she was a model who didn't mind getting her kit out not once, not twice, but three times, and as a plot point about spectacular legs (which, I mean, she does...but still)...because her acting is nothing to write home about.

It's very very funny and only MILDLY tainted by the presence of Kevin Spacey as the other villain (who inexplicably has a cyst bulging out of his face that he had to have surgically removed in real life later that they left in the film).

It's on Netflix.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 September 2020 - 07:59 PM

#11275 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

Watched Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood.

Its got the signature Tarantino pacing, that can be exhausting. It wasn't so bad in this flick though. I enjoyed it. I personally feel that DiCaprio is overrated as an actor (did not deserve the Oscar for grunting and moaning through Revenant, that was a akin to honorary doctorate degree), but he was on point in this movie. And Brad Pitt was top notch too.

The movie is excellent at taking you back to late 1960s Hollywood. Tarantino and his crew superbly have it nailed down to every last detail. And boy does Tarantino's cinema/movie nerd shine in this movie. So many references that only a celluloid geek would pick up on. I was thrown off though, and felt it was out of place, when narration was added in at the last 1/3rd of the movie. I think that is a Tarantino signature too. He does some wacky shit like that.

If for nothing else, watch the move for that alt-history ending. What-The-Fuck!

Oh and if you watch the movie, pay attention to the Manson Family. Damn, there are a lot a familiar actors in those roles.

All in all, I give Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood one long spray from my trusty flamethrower. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 27 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

#11276 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:49 PM

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody. Hot damn that is an excellent movie. The ending sequence where Queen performed at Live Aid brought up the goose bumps. And damn, if Rami Malek isn't the spitting image of Freddie Mercury during that phase of his career. Did any of you guys catch that cheeky little moment when Queen were in a record executive's office arguing over what song to release as a single? Queen wanted to release Bohemian Rhapsody. Mike Myers plays the executive and he says something to the effect - teenagers aren't going to bang their heads in their cars to a song that is six minutes long. Wayne's World easter egg! Posted Image
On the Live Aid topic. I know Queen's performance was supposed to have transcended above every band except one. And that is U2. Didn't U2 win the Live Aid best performance?Posted Image
Maybe some of you oldsters who were there can chime in on this.Posted Image

#11277 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:29 PM

I still don’t know how anyone could dislike Endgame.

#11278 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:37 PM

If you have Netflix, you should really watch The Social Dilemma.
It's scary how much information the social media networks have about us all.

Just watched it tonight.

I mean, I knew all the stuff.

But damn it's scary seeing it laid out like that

#11279 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 11:04 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 October 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

If you have Netflix, you should really watch The Social Dilemma.
It's scary how much information the social media networks have about us all.

Just watched it tonight.

I mean, I knew all the stuff.

But damn it's scary seeing it laid out like that

Yep. I watched it too. Really messed up stuff!

#11280 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:14 AM

I turned the TV off, deleted Instagram and logged my phone out of Facebook it freaked me out so much.

It should be compulsory viewing in schools and for all parents

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users