• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11281 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 October 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

Watching End Game for the 2nd time just to see if it is still the piece of shit I found it the 1st time around.

I might even get around to watching it at some point.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11282 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:40 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 October 2020 - 11:04 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 03 October 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

If you have Netflix, you should really watch The Social Dilemma.
It's scary how much information the social media networks have about us all.

Just watched it tonight.

I mean, I knew all the stuff.

But damn it's scary seeing it laid out like that

Yep. I watched it too. Really messed up stuff!

When deep industry insiders are as concerned as they show here (I watched it too), I think it speaks to the severity of the problem. And it grows unchecked.

I logged onto facebook to alert long-time and old friends about the passing of my father. Let them know I was never on there, posted a message to his facebook for his old friends and colleagues, and logged right back out.

Facebook is a dumpster fire.

I can guarantee Google knows me inside and out. I accept that they do. They probably have an affect on me, I realize this. The convenience to my everyday life is worth it because I am AWARE of how intrusive and insidious it is and can actively seek out countermeasures. But, it STILL worries me some.

People need to break some chains.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11283 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

It should be compulsory viewing in schools and for parents

#11284 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Fuckerburg et al tried to hit back at the doco ...

https://www.news.com...b298b4e392f0c81

https://about.fb.com...-Gets-Wrong.pdf

... and missed, IMHO.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11285 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:38 PM

Finally got around to watching JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM...what's weird is it's not a TERRIBLE movie in concept.

Spoiler

Which reminds me, there is only two things I want from JW:D as far as the characters are concerned. I want Dr. Grant, Ellie Satler, and Ian Malcolm in the same room/scene again together. And I KNOW Trevorrow will do it because he was one of the ones who bemoaned JJ not getting Han, Leia and Luke together in a scene in the sequels. The second thing is that I want Malcom or someone to comment on the fact that no matter what...with Dino DNA on the table there will NEVER be peace. Someone is always going to come around and fuck with it for profit (or mad science)...Dennis Nedry, Peter Ludlow, Billy Brennan, Vic Hoskins, Henry Wu, and finally Mills and Ken Wheatley...ebven in JP III which is mostly a rescue movie, Grants assistant turns bad at the prospect of a fortune. I want this mentioned and dealt with in some way.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 October 2020 - 01:40 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11286 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:45 PM

Facebook is the messaging tool for genocide. So as you're swiping through your racist uncle's timeline or stalking that high school head cheerleader who never even knew you existed, I hope your conscience can settle with that.

#11287 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 October 2020 - 01:38 PM, said:

Finally got around to watching JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM...what's weird is it's not a TERRIBLE movie in concept.

Spoiler

Which reminds me, there is only two things I want from JW:D as far as the characters are concerned. I want Dr. Grant, Ellie Satler, and Ian Malcolm in the same room/scene again together. And I KNOW Trevorrow will do it because he was one of the ones who bemoaned JJ not getting Han, Leia and Luke together in a scene in the sequels. The second thing is that I want Malcom or someone to comment on the fact that no matter what...with Dino DNA on the table there will NEVER be peace. Someone is always going to come around and fuck with it for profit (or mad science)...Dennis Nedry, Peter Ludlow, Billy Brennan, Vic Hoskins, Henry Wu, and finally Mills and Ken Wheatley...ebven in JP III which is mostly a rescue movie, Grants assistant turns bad at the prospect of a fortune. I want this mentioned and dealt with in some way.

The wife and I just watched his last night for the first time also.

You’re right it was, fine. I think it will depend on how good the next is. If Dominion is solid then it works. If it’s a flop then we had a solid first entry followed by meh.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11288 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:31 PM

But I am a big Jake Gyllenhal (however the hell you spell that) fan. Love that guy for some reason.

Edit: Maybe he just really comes off as earnest. As in I buy into him as the character. Hmm. Maybe.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 06 October 2020 - 08:33 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11289 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:47 PM

Oh, I met that as in general. I am a Jake fan in general. Yeah, Spiderman: FFH was one of the weaker entries I think in the MCU. I think I reviewed it earlier in this thread as such.

#11290 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:20 AM

I don't care what the option is after "or" in that question. The answer is always Lonesome Dove.

"Heres to the sunny slopes of long ago...."

#11291 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:26 PM

View PostBriar King, on 07 October 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

I'm so shedding tears when the news comes that Robert DuVall is no longer amongst us. One of the greatest. And no one even comes close to capturing Augustus McCrae like him.

I wonder if this will ever be remade? It doesn't need it but the tv wheels are always turning.

I sure as hell hope not. He IS GUS.

Although Steve Zahn didnt do a horrible job in Comanche Moon.

#11292 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:26 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 October 2020 - 11:49 PM, said:

Fucking David Arquette...

Exactly.

Fucking David Arquette.

Yeah. That was rough.

#11293 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

Wife had never watched Forrest Gump, so watched it last night. I forgot how many choke up moments were in it. Still a superb film

#11294 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:26 AM

Brightburn.

Question for those who've watched it: is it supposed to be the horror version of the origin of Superman?

"Take the World."

#11295 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

So Patty Jenkins Is making a Cleopatra movie, and she's cast Gal Gadot, and the world has exploded with outrage as a result calling it Whitewashing.

Let's talk about it.

There are factions.

1. People who understand history, and who the Ptolemaic's were, and have utterly no problem with this casting.
2. People who don't understand history who think that all the Egyptian Pharaohs were all Upper Kingdom or Nubian. AKA dark skinned.
3. People who do know about history, but don't trust it at all and refuse to believe it so that they can die on a hill trying to make Cleopatra mixed or full tilt Nubian and claim that history has obscured this (nevermind that no obscuration exists about the rest of the Egyptian Pharaohs being darker skinned)...but they apparently did it to the Ptolemaic's...

Anyways. Cleopatra was an 8th Generation descendant of Ptolemy I Soter. Soter was the son of two Macedonian/Greek parents and he was one of Alexander the Great's personal bodyguards who divided up and ruled his lands after his death. In this case, Egypt (Alexandria) was the centre of the Ptolemaic Dynasty. The Ptolemaic's were so intent on keeping Egypt Hellenistic that they exclusively practiced inbreeding and sibling marriage. So for all intents and purposes Cleopatra was at least mostly (if not fully) Macedonian Greek (barring some dallying with Syrians and Persian aristocracy).

The historical 'weeds'...so people who don't care about this bit can ignore it I've spoiled this part.
Spoiler

The bottom line is that the phenotype of Cleopatra could be found in most of the cultures of the modern day eastern Mediterranean, this especially includes the people of Israel (where Gadot is from), literally a jog over from where Cleopatra ruled.

And it blows my mind that confronted with this knowledge about the Ptolemaic's, the people getting outraged about this casting then jump to "Well, if she was Greek they should cast a Greek, not an Israeli!"...completely misunderstanding that the entirety of the Eastern Mediterranean was a mixing pot of phenotypes in Antiquity to a level that a modern day woman like Gadot would be at least as close to Cleo as an actual Greek would be.

But this is where we are though. The good and valuable fight to get more representation in Hollywood films has at times splintered into an outrage war that is slicing down to damned Phenotype to prove that it's "okay" for Gal Gadot to play Cleopatra. When in actuality, the fact that she's from Israel puts her closer to a Greek Queen of Egypt of Antiquity than people who are actually from modern Macedonia.

It's a non-issue made into an issue because a bunch of idiots on Twitter refuse to do their homework about the history they claim is being re-written.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11296 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 October 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

So Patty Jenkins Is making a Cleopatra movie, and she's cast Gal Gadot, and the world has exploded with outrage as a result calling it Whitewashing.

Let's talk about it.

There are factions.

1. People who understand history, and who the Ptolemaic's were, and have utterly no problem with this casting.
2. People who don't understand history who think that all the Egyptian Pharaohs were all Upper Kingdom or Nubian. AKA dark skinned.
3. People who do know about history, but don't trust it at all and refuse to believe it so that they can die on a hill trying to make Cleopatra mixed or full tilt Nubian and claim that history has obscured this (nevermind that no obscuration exists about the rest of the Egyptian Pharaohs being darker skinned)...but they apparently did it to the Ptolemaic's...

Anyways. Cleopatra was an 8th Generation descendant of Ptolemy I Soter. Soter was the son of two Macedonian/Greek parents and he was one of Alexander the Great's personal bodyguards who divided up and ruled his lands after his death. In this case, Egypt (Alexandria) was the centre of the Ptolemaic Dynasty. The Ptolemaic's were so intent on keeping Egypt Hellenistic that they exclusively practiced inbreeding and sibling marriage. So for all intents and purposes Cleopatra was at least mostly (if not fully) Macedonian Greek (barring some dallying with Syrians and Persian aristocracy).

The historical 'weeds'...so people who don't care about this bit can ignore it I've spoiled this part.
Spoiler

The bottom line is that the phenotype of Cleopatra could be found in most of the cultures of the modern day eastern Mediterranean, this especially includes the people of Israel (where Gadot is from), literally a jog over from where Cleopatra ruled.

And it blows my mind that confronted with this knowledge about the Ptolemaic's, the people getting outraged about this casting then jump to "Well, if she was Greek they should cast a Greek, not an Israeli!"...completely misunderstanding that the entirety of the Eastern Mediterranean was a mixing pot of phenotypes in Antiquity to a level that a modern day woman like Gadot would be at least as close to Cleo as an actual Greek would be.

But this is where we are though. The good and valuable fight to get more representation in Hollywood films has at times splintered into an outrage war that is slicing down to damned Phenotype to prove that it's "okay" for Gal Gadot to play Cleopatra. When in actuality, the fact that she's from Israel puts her closer to a Greek Queen of Egypt of Antiquity than people who are actually from modern Macedonia.

It's a non-issue made into an issue because a bunch of idiots on Twitter refuse to do their homework about the history they claim is being re-written.

I've been having a similar rant on FB - Egypt nerd solidarity!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#11297 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:21 PM

Indeed, where does it end? I bet that they'll even end up using an Arabian cobra, or worse, a Senegalese cobra (!), instead of an Egyptian one which is most likely the genus of asp that killed her. I mean, is nothing sacred anymore?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11298 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

Missed opportunity. Should have given the role to Scarlett Johansson or Emma Stone. That would have really stirred up a hornets nest. Ima disappoint.

#11299 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 October 2020 - 03:01 PM, said:

I've been having a similar rant on FB - Egypt nerd solidarity!

It's so strange to watch some people climb around to make this a thing when it needn't be a thing. Gadot is a fine casting for the role.

View PostGorefest, on 14 October 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

Indeed, where does it end? I bet that they'll even end up using an Arabian cobra, or worse, a Senegalese cobra (!), instead of an Egyptian one which is most likely the genus of asp that killed her. I mean, is nothing sacred anymore?

I mean, you're being facetious, but the general argument I've seen bandied about is literally "How dare you whitewash Cleopatra when everyone knows she was a fine black Queen!"...and those people hold up pseudoscience as their proof.

If anything Jenkins and Gadot end up on the defence about something that should never have been a problem. And we're only talking about it because those outraged people have tried to make it a thing. It's not like they cast a POC in the role and people are annoyed and claiming it should be a Greek one (See: the Ariel The Mermaid controversy for an example of this)...they literally cast on character with Gadot and they are getting shit on for it. It's insane and worth calling out as hypocrisy.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 October 2020 - 03:39 PM

#11300 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:10 PM

It is silly, but at the end of the day ot is just a few loud mouths on Twitter. Why even bother gracing them with the attention? Wcerything triggers everything these days.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users