• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11301 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:18 PM

View PostGorefest, on 14 October 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

It is silly, but at the end of the day ot is just a few loud mouths on Twitter. Why even bother gracing them with the attention? Wcerything triggers everything these days.

It's been all over the news and ended up in my orbit from a few different avenues....but you're likely right, there's really no point in engaging them.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11302 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

Ah, fair enough, missed that. It just seems to me that any nutcase these days can have a rant on social media and next thing you know it is plastered all over the place. It just puzzles me that so many people attach so much gravitas to this random shouting. But that is social media for you. I am glad I grew up in a time when social media was non-existent. News outlets need to pack themselves with so much content these days to stay relevant that trivialities are presented as things that actually matter, and the things that actually matter just get drowned out in lots of noise.

The film will get made and people will go and see it. This will pass. It is either being frivolous, or just always angry.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 14 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11303 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

They should have included the non Japanese speaking dogs from Isle of Dogs. That would really get them heads exploding.
'

#11304 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:48 PM

What they should really do to hit some sweet outrage is make a movie about Jesus where the actor playing him not white...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11305 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:50 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 October 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

What they should really do to hit some sweet outrage is make a movie about Jesus where the actor playing him not white...

Didn't I already reco that 'Risen' movie to you ages ago? :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11306 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:11 PM

Been watching some spooky and/or horror genre movies for Halloween season. So I watched The Shape of Water.

Enjoyed it. It has that Guillermo del Toro style that is so uniquely identifiable. And Michael Shannon is a knock it out of the park acting talent.

There is a Guillermo del Toro touch at the end of the film that is equally subtle, but also a "holy fuck, that was amazeballs!" moment. When you see it you will be like "fuck, I should have seen that coming but damn that was goooood!"

Guillermo del Toro approaches film making from such an odd tangent/angle. Just what the hell is going on in that head of his?

#11307 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:18 PM

View PostBriar King, on 20 October 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

Started Clash of the Titans last night. Been a hella long time since I saw but I’m reminded just how great it was with today’s effects. The sequel isn’t on this lvl but it’s not a horrible movie.

I actually like the sequel a lot. I have no idea why. I think maybe becuase it leaned into the cheesiness like the original 80's CLASH did, while the first rebooted movie tried to play it too safe?

But yeah, I could watch Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson as Gods go into battle against their father a monster god all day long.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11308 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:19 PM

Finally getting back to having time to play this. An of you who’ve played them, are any of the dlc’s worth it?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11309 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:27 PM

Wrong thread?

#11310 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

Poooossssibblyyyyyh

#11311 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2020 - 11:45 AM

Recently and finally got the Star Trek TNG 4-movie BluRay set, and the wife and I re-watched it all over the last week.

GENERATIONS: It's still good, and there are a number of things good about it...but it's FAR too much of a hand-off movie from the old cast to the new with Kirk in so much of it. That is a little saved by the banter between Picard and Kirk, but still. Solid good, but nothing more.

FIRST CONTACT: The absolute pinnacle of Trek film of this era, it is well written, directed, scored, edited. It's also the one that feels the most like a cinematic experience. I have nothing bad to say about it. EDIT: Oh, and in May this year Jonathan Frakes was asked if Data and the Borg Queen did the deed, and he said "Of course they did". LOL I've always wondered because it's only implied.

INSURRECTION: People are hard on this film, and I think it's because the stakes are, for the most part, so small and you would not expect that in a cinematic film. The funny thing is, if this were a two-part episode I feel like it would be beloved by the fans. As is, watching it years later I loved it more than I think I ever did before. It's a wonderful couple of hours with the Enterprise crew doing what they do best, saving a planet/people from the nefarious plot to kill them. Solid action, mixed with solid character development, and more humour than I expected.

NEMESIS: Jeezus...I think my brain was kinder to this one in hindsight because upon my first re-watch since seeing it in theatre it is the absolute NADIR of the whole of Trek movies (Like I could make a solid case that FINAL FRONTIER is better than this...). There are good moments at the beginning, and a solid last 5 minutes once the threat is gone (5 minutes that lead cleanly into PICARD actually), but for a movie with a tonne of action....fuck all really happens. I think they really thought that the whole clone of Picard thing was going to get way more response than it does. The thing is, we've DONE "evil" Picard with Locutus and even revisited it and the ptsd of it with FIRST CONTACT...so this falls flatter than flat. And Tom Hardy is AWFUL while trying to do a Patrick Stewart impression. But yeah, the whole thing hinges on a really dull plot point. Even the Romulans seem ineffectual in this one and they are supposed to be a big threat overall. If I could erase 85% of this film from my memory....I would. Happily. My wife asked why we didn't get to see the Riker / Troi Betazed wedding in the nude...LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2020 - 11:50 AM

#11312 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 October 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Rewatching Tron Legacy like I said and I am still grumpy this will not continue on like planned. It was fucking fun and the visuals were spectacular.

I really hope they reconsider this at some point. I had an utter blast at the cinema when this came out. Best believe we saw in 3D to.

Totally agree; I like Tron Legacy a lot, myself, for the same reasons. I had heard there was a plan for a sequel movie but that Disney pulled back when Tomorrowland "bombed" as, apparently, the plot of Tron 3 was not too dissimilar from that. But I saw there were some whispers a month ago or so that a script for a Tron: Legacy sequel was being worked on again. We can hope.

#11313 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:31 AM

Was watching a show where they discuss genres. In this one the topic was "Magical Realism", and director Issa López was the guest. They talked about her process in directing the movie Tigers Are Not Afraid. It sounded amazing, so I found the movie trailer, and it looks amazing. Anyone familiar, is it worth checking out?

#11314 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 October 2020 - 11:44 PM

Watched that Tom Cruise starring role version of The Mummy.

meh... it wasn't that great. I guess I would describe it as Tom Cruise x Indiana Jones x Egyptian Curse x American Werewolf in London tortured dead friend afterlife visitations x fat Russell Crowe Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

The special effects and makeup are about all it has going for it. The rest is either meh or sinks lower into being a hot mess of awkward and not well done scenes.

So this "Dark Universe" concept. Are they going to continue this and roll out more of these classic movie monsters (Wolf Man, Frankenstein, Dracula.. etc) in future films and tie it together somehow? I can't imagine this movie gave them the push they needed to continue this, but hey, Hollywood.

Also, can someone explain to me what Tom Cruise's character was at the end of the movie?

And on the topic of Tom Cruise, he's got one egg in one basket now. He's a do my own fantastical stunts where I hang by my pubes on the outer hull of a nose diving 747 and fall inside the bay door to bounce around in zero gravity while I make my way to the cock pit area to find the last remaining parachute to make my heroic escape at the last moment before crash. He isn't much more than that. Sad because he used to be able to act (Born of the 4th of July).

#11315 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 November 2020 - 02:48 PM

Watched It: Chapter Two. It's a loooooooong movie. The adult versions' journey story to bring their contribution to the Ritual of Chud isn't that great for some of the members. There are some excellent and creepy scares though. Chapter 1 movie is better, no doubt. I would watch this one for the tie up of everything. There's a Stephen King appearance. It's always fun when he appears on one of these movies, which isn't very often. He aint no Stan Lee. Emotional ending, which will hit you in the feelz. "Be true, be brave, stand, believe, and don't every forget we're losers and we always will be."

#11316 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2020 - 03:23 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2020 - 12:51 AM, said:

I’m 10 minutes and 4 seconds into the 81’ Clash of the Titans. Let’s just say these visuals are not stellar today.

But they are the work of one of the greats of filmmaking effects, Ray Harryhausen. You gotta respect the godfather of practical effects.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 November 2020 - 03:23 AM

#11317 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:18 AM

Another horror movie I chalked up over the spooky full moon Halloween weekend - A Quiet Place.

Excellent. Harrowing, tense and emotional as hell. That ending though, damn that was a gut punch right to the solar plexus. And how the movie teases for a good portion and doesn't fully reveal what those things are until much later. That was right on point to build the tension. Those things are friggan mini extinction factories. I hear tell that there is a sequel in the works. I don't like that. They should let it live and breathe where the curtain went down and shouldn't do any more to that perfection. Leave it be.

#11318 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:03 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 06 November 2020 - 12:18 AM, said:

Another horror movie I chalked up over the spooky full moon Halloween weekend - A Quiet Place.

Excellent. Harrowing, tense and emotional as hell. That ending though, damn that was a gut punch right to the solar plexus. And how the movie teases for a good portion and doesn't fully reveal what those things are until much later. That was right on point to build the tension. Those things are friggan mini extinction factories. I hear tell that there is a sequel in the works. I don't like that. They should let it live and breathe where the curtain went down and shouldn't do any more to that perfection. Leave it be.

Watched this last night and i agree. Enjoyed it alot. Only cried like twice.

I'm ok with a sequel if its a different family. Except they'll try and one up the first one, hopefully they can pull it off.

#11319 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:40 AM

Werner Herzog, you crazy, mad bastard you.

#11320 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:13 AM

Mads Mikkelsen is replacing Johnny Depp in the next Fantastic Beasts movie

https://www.indiewir...s-3-1234598075/

Having followed Mikkelsen's career since the 90s, I feel proud of him.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users