• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11221 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 13 July 2020 - 01:32 PM, said:

Damn yo did anyone even know that Kelly Preston was sick? She dead now. Cancer.

She was a Scientologist, and they are usually pretty tight with any and all info since they are a cult...so probably no one knew she had it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11222 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:39 AM

Palm Springs. Solid fun, but forgettable.

#11223 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

Okay, hold the presses, you gotta be shittin' me. There was a Tremors 5? That has to be direct to video, right into the dollar store 1¢ bin, right?

Full title is Tremors 5: Bloodlines. Posted Image

#11224 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 23 July 2020 - 06:17 PM, said:

Ghost of Tsushima getting me and son wanting some samurai movies. So I ll get Last Samurai booted up for sure and I will attempt to have him start Sho Gun with me if it’s still on YouTube but idk if he will go for the aged thing on not. Dammit whatever happened to the planned remake series for this?

SEVEN SAMURAI....That game demands you show him the greatness that is Kurosawa.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11225 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

Awwww SHEEEYAAUH! Second trailer. We got some Death (damn I love William Sadler in this role!). And looks like Kristen Schaal will be assuming the role that George Carlin had? Not 100 on that, but excellent choice if so. Kristen Schaal is awesome.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 23 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

#11226 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 23 July 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

Are you playing it?

Not currently. I'm going to wait a while...but I do know it has a Black & White mode meant to mimic Kurosawa flicks. :)

#11227 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

I'm watching Terminator: Dark Fate. So far it's a great action film but it's lacking what ever elusive quality I associate with the first two films.

It's at the same time too expensive looking and too cheaply filmed with those handheld, not quite shaky cams. It's too bright and clean. The CGI is too pretty if there's such a thing.

I think I'm looking for something more raw. Something that looks as bad and dirty and poor as the 80s looked before they cleaned up Time's Square.

This is filmed like a Disney Movie.

Linda Hamilton is bitching though.

Edit: Maybe it's not the film. Maybe it's me. I may have reached an age where everything was just better when I was young.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 24 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

#11228 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:35 PM

What I liked about Dark Fate is that it didn’t try to avoid the winning result of T2 like all the other sequels did...that Judgement Day was avoided and Skynet is toast. And instead hits out in the direction of “humanity is GOING to go astray with AI, but luckily someone WILL rise up to the leader role to fight it” with the previous timeline existing only in enough strands to fight the new threat.

I think it’s a REALLY good film.

#11229 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

I didn't finish Dark Fate was too sleepy.

If they were going to go with an alternate Skynet origin I do wish they'd done something completely different than terminators but then it wouldn't be a Terminator film.

Watched the Captain Marvel film today.

It was great. Maybe the best Marvel film? Doesn't take much really but it was really fun. Extra points for the Flerken kitty or what ever it's called.

Wouldn't mind watching another couple films with young Fury going on pre-Avengers adventures.

#11230 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:18 PM

Captain Marvel was a decently written (though very phase-1 template-like) and acted film nearly completely ruined by the utter inability of the directors (and probably editors) to do big-screen action or spectacle.

The other Captain Marvel aka Shazam! was much better for that (and better in general) despite having approximately half the budget.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11231 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:06 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 July 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

I'm watching Terminator: Dark Fate. So far it's a great action film but it's lacking what ever elusive quality I associate with the first two films.

It's at the same time too expensive looking and too cheaply filmed with those handheld, not quite shaky cams. It's too bright and clean. The CGI is too pretty if there's such a thing.

I think I'm looking for something more raw. Something that looks as bad and dirty and poor as the 80s looked before they cleaned up Time's Square.

This is filmed like a Disney Movie.

Linda Hamilton is bitching though.

Edit: Maybe it's not the film. Maybe it's me. I may have reached an age where everything was just better when I was young.

Felt the same way about the cinematography, never fully pulled me in.

Also, it kind of felt like the movie was written around certain set parameters:
-Human who time travels and can kinda go 1v1 against new terminator
-Airplane scene with a cyborg causing mayhem would be cool, stuff it in there plot wise
-Bring back Sara
-Bring back T-800
Get those in there and lets get a movie trailer out!

This post has been edited by Knowing: 26 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#11232 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:54 AM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 26 July 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

1hr 46 minutes and 43 secs into Seven Samurai. That’s the intermission point. I really hope the 2nd half is good cause I mainly been really bored so far. Taking a break.

The first half is all the setup, The second half is all the defense of the town.

Just keep in mind that every single mo ie you’ve seen where the ragtag band of characters unite the town/city to save the rec centre from the big nasty developer...it came from SEVEN SAMURAI.

Kurosawa was also the king of innuendo and really subtle filmmaking...so a lot of what he brings to the table is atmosphere.

#11233 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

Watched Zombieland: Double Tap over the weekend. eh, it was alright, nothing to write home about tbh. Fun moments sprinkled throughout, but the plot is hackneyed and not all that interesting. The opening will definitely get you pumped but it sort of dips significantly as the story unfolds. There are enough worthwhile moments to give it a view though, imo, just go in with lowered expectations that you'll end watching the movie with an overall "meh" feeling. A character is introduced that people are going to hate I think. Didn't bother me really, thought she offered some passable counterweight to Emma Stone's character (Wichita), but is was more fizzle than sizzle (too much played out and predictable character development). Woody Harrelson is still great for one liners. But yeah, Zombieland: Double Tap gets a tepid recommendation from me, but you should find some enjoyable moments.

#11234 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

ACE VENTURA is still a really fun and funny movie, but MAN the transphobic stuff lands with a super clunk these days. It's quite extreme and poorly managed, even for 1994.

#11235 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:04 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 26 July 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

Watching The Last Samurai for the 43 rd time and it still ain’t old news. I love this film.

I'm quite fond of The Last Samurai as well, despite it being a straight up rip off of the plot of Dances With Wolves, just in Japan as the setting. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise either but think he does an excellent job in this one. The scenes where he takes that pummeling from Ujio (sp?) with the practice swords and then the draw later on are both riveting.

#11236 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 29 July 2020 - 05:04 PM, said:

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 26 July 2020 - 11:12 PM, said:

Watching The Last Samurai for the 43 rd time and it still ain’t old news. I love this film.

I'm quite fond of The Last Samurai as well, despite it being a straight up rip off of the plot of Dances With Wolves, just in Japan as the setting. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise either but think he does an excellent job in this one. The scenes where he takes that pummeling from Ujio (sp?) with the practice swords and then the draw later on are both riveting.

Such a great film. I've probably seen it a dozen times or more. I never cease to get emotional at the end and the Samurai's last stand, and the Japanese Meiji army buckling in emotions at having to kill the last of the Shogunate culture...it's heart rending.

#11237 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:29 AM

The movie Venom. Watched it. It is a confusing movie. Not complicated confusing, but confusing in what was presented as the story unfolds over the almost 2 hr duration. Like when did the switch occur where symbiote goes from monster alien parasite to monster alien parasite but has personality now and thinks the host is a pretty okay guy? Also, the film, while I think was intended to have comedic elements, really turns hard into the comedy near the end, whereas at the beginning it's not so clear that there will be laughs, so I think that is contributing to the confusion for me. It seemed rather odd how that was handled. The movie is this, now it is this. There are some fun and exciting effects moments that make it worth spending time to watch though.

Riz Ahmed is an excellent actor, and his command of his craft comes across even in a confusing flick like Venom. And I finally solved the puzzle that is Tom Hardy and his acting style. He's basically the top of the class graduate from the Christopher Walken school of acting. There was something that always struck me odd about his pacing and his mannerisms that seemed familiar. I finally connected it to Chistopher Walken. You guys probably disagree, but it seems as clear as day to me now.

The Spider-Man animated short at the end, after the credits rolled, was a nice treat. Is it from that "From the Spiderverse" thingamabobber? If so, I'm going to have to watch it some time.

Also, got a little misty eyed when Stan Lee makes an appearance. Was Venom his last appearance in a film?

Overall, I would recommend watching Venom because there are some fun moments and effects, just be prepared to be confused. 3 smiley faces, err or is it stars? out of 5, uh smiley faces, or is it stars?

#11238 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:02 PM

Been on a bit of a horror kick lately.
The Void (2017)

Really an excellent horror journey for those looking for an other world/dimension essence trying to find a breach into our plane of existence.
Acting was spot on, as well as the directing and storytelling. Well imagined plot line that covers a few hours of horror through the characters with nasty monsters and ephemeral cultists trying to summon this thing from beyond. Personally I really gravitate towards these kind of plots where the characters trying to fight their way out of the hellish nightmare have a tangible effect and fighting chance rather than being pinned down and tormented. Trailer does a pretty good job of depicting what it is, although as with most movies I watch these days I'd recommend just watching 30 sec of it to leave yourself in the dark and ride the film as it presents itself and see if its your kind of flick or not.

More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#11239 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:38 PM

SHAZAM did not suck.
While borderline tedious 'for the kids' at times, the action was great, the acting was fun, and it honored the source material while making perfectly reasonable choices.
I will probably never watch it again, but i enjoyed what i watched.

...ok, i admit that i watched the rooftop 'Shazam!' jump scene a few times. Maybe six.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11240 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 August 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

SHAZAM did not suck.
While borderline tedious 'for the kids' at times, the action was great, the acting was fun, and it honored the source material while making perfectly reasonable choices.
I will probably never watch it again, but i enjoyed what i watched.

...ok, i admit that i watched the rooftop 'Shazam!' jump scene a few times. Maybe six.

I loved this film!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic