• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#25601 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:47 PM

Puck, the only semi-reasonable possible gripe re:gym bag would be "gym smell next to place from where clean, fresh-smelling clothes come out". Not saying that's what it is, but that's the kind of logic my mom would (and sometimes does) apply in similar situations.

As for the rest: I sympathize, as those don't sound like reasonable demands. Except for the surface cleaning, that's universal, esp when people might be coming over- floors, furniture and kitchen counters have to be spotless, and it doesn't matter that inside the closets shelves are collapsing.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 20 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25602 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 February 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Puck's mother is mentally ill, not interested in change or treatment, and wants a completely sympathetic ear to bend as she wishes.

Yeah it sounds like a narcissistic personality disorder or similar...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25603 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

Paediatric placements in a hospital are not good for the soul.

#25604 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

100% agree with amph's take, though with the obvious caveat that comes with most advice, "easier said than done." But often "doing" is still easier than you think, once you get into it. What you were worrying about starts turning into a fresh start feeling. Ultimately, as amph points out, sticking to the current situation only and inevitably goes one way.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25605 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

It sounds incredibly cruel to leave. I realize that fully. I advise my clients, who frequently have more than one or two disabilities and want to help others in even worse situations, that it's not a good idea to set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

I use that specific phrase because it conveys the harm that comes to you from trying to "keep the other person warm". Frequently, what will help the other person for a while or permanently requires so much time and resources that it can existentially bankrupt people who don't have the training, time, resources, or emotional/intellectual distance to handle this well.

As a family member living with the person in need of help, changing the life of a person who's been living this way for decades is not likely. That person doesn't particularly see you as having authority or agency. That person emotionally hurts you regularly. That person has learned that you'll act as a crutch over and over to get them through the worst times without permanent change for the better.

And the whole thing is extremely painful. It always is. I'm sorry about that and am glad you can vent here.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25606 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:27 PM

View PostMentalist, on 20 February 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

Puck, the only semi-reasonable possible gripe re:gym bag would be "gym smell next to place from where clean, fresh-smelling clothes come out". Not saying that's what it is, but that's the kind of logic my mom would (and sometimes does) apply in similar situations.

Yeah but in your Mum's defence your gym clothes also regularly have blood-and-internal-organs smell on them. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25607 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:23 AM

Woke up sweating buckets, headachey, feeling shit. Had a lemsip. Threw it back up twenty minutes later.

Well, that's a promising start to my day.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#25608 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

If you chase enough ambulances eventually you'll catch something.

:D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25609 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Tsundoku, the Voice of Empathy.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#25610 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:10 AM

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 20 February 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

Paediatric placements in a hospital are not good for the soul.

Any position where you have to give bad news to parents is gonna be rough.

#25611 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 21 February 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

Woke up sweating buckets, headachey, feeling shit. Had a lemsip. Threw it back up twenty minutes later.

We all know how this ends...

Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25612 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

Either that or Maark is patient zero
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25613 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 February 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

So it begins......
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#25614 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 February 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

So it begins......

Crap.

Hey, Maark, could you please go stand outside for a minute? And maybe look up at about a 73-degree angle?

#25615 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:16 AM

No.

#25616 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:45 AM

So selfish *smh*

#25617 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 February 2019 - 07:47 AM

I'll get to know on monday whether I'll be called in for another interview or not. I am very and uncharacteristically nervous.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#25618 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:18 AM

View PostPuck, on 20 February 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

I have a general question. Maybe I'm really in the wrong here though I can't see how.

Been having HUGE issue with my mother again the past couple of days. She's stressed at work, which I understand (though what I do not understand is why she works so much, seeing as she's retired and doesn't have to work, she just does and overworks herself for no rteason) and our ideas of what a normal apartment Looks like differ drastically. This morning, she blew up in my face (and not for the first time) because I keep my gym bag next to the washing machine. Not in the way of anything, just tucked away in the corner because we can't use the space any other way anyway (slanted walls). I also literally got my scarf throw in my face because I keep it on the Sideboard in the hallway.

Now, my issue is that I do not see any problems with that. For me that's the normal clutter of a lived-in space. Not to mention that our living room, which I DO NOT use outside of hanging the laundry up to dry, looks like a bomb exploded in it and it's somehow my fault, because apparently I have too much time? Because I work from home for three days a week? Neve rmind that she doesn't have to concern herself with things like cooking food or groceries or utility bills, which I take care of. She, despite being a grown Woman, is not able to so much as go to a bank to look at her account balance or make sure her phone is charged up with enough money. In fact, she doesn't even know her own bank account code and I have full access to her bank account because I have her bank card. She doesn't want it because she doesn't want to bother herself with these things (claiming she's got no time for that). I also do all of her paperwork.

I mean, I am not the tidiest person, but I generally keep my clutter to my own room (which she has no Business to do anything in, yet when I was away for two days two months ago, she had the audacity to "tidy up" my room and expected me to thank he ron my knees or or something), and I don't cosider things like a gym bag or a scarf too much to keep in a common living space. Just because she changes jackets and scarves daily and puts them away each time, I don't see why I should. Also, I'd like to Point out that she owns so much stuff, it takes up a full one third of my huge wardrobe despite her having two wardrobes in her own room already.

I pay half of the rent and utilities and some things I pay in full, like phone and internet bills, and the phone I don't even use. I would think I have a right to make SOME space for myself in the apartment. Again, I don't use the living room AT ALL.

Maybe I'm in the wrong, but I really don't see why. We share the rent, so we should be able to share the space as well, as well as the chores. I cook and stuff, every day, but she also expects me to do everything else as she's not home at all except for food and sleep.

Additionally, she expects me to come over to ther work and help her there and also blew up on me about not doing that the other day. Which I get even less than the "I don't want your stuff all over the apartment" thing. First off, I'd have to buy a bus ticket to get to ger and second, I have shit to do. Just because I'm hoem doesn't mean I'm not working. We've already has this same issue when I was still studying where she though if I'm home I have nothing to do even though, you know, I had assignments to do.

Ugh, overall, I've heard so much screaming and so many accusations of the past couple of days I don't know what to think anymore. The worst part is that I'm just at a point where I could say I'm mostly recovered from my depression, yet this shit keeps throwing me back because it's the biggest reason I ended up depressed in the first place. And I can't even talk back because EVERY WORD I say makes it worse.

I still can't afford to move out, but this is not bearable any more. Also, since she's officially on benefits since she's doesn't have enough retirement Money, if I were to move out she'd lose the appartment because for her alone it's too big and too expensive and she's been putting a bunch of money into renovating it (though you've got three guesses at who did the actual painting of the walls and shit).

Ugh, sorry, I guess I really needed to get that off my chest. I realize I Need to get out of there but I'm not really seeing away yet.

Good luck to you and if you succeed let me know your secret. I think we can all relate to one degree or another. My mother is of course my mother and also a teacher of primary grade children. I have learnt that this leads to a dynamic of making her unteachable.

No amount of rational argument, explanations or examples can help her see her hypocrisy or change her behavior. I think the key is to break as said above the mother-daughter dynamic but its extremely hard to do, since you are primarily mother-daughter and not room-mates.

My mother too cant manage her own finances so I do it. Since she insists on providing me the wrong information and turns a 2 min exercise into a 30 min conversation and insists I do it right now, I asked her to please just right down the name, bank account and amount she needs paid to certain people and Ill take care of it when I chance a chance. Since she finds writing 3 pieces of information harder to do then to talk to me for thirty min that took 6 months of work to convince her, then it took 6 months again to get her to stop talking to me for 30 min in addition to given me the information in writing (she would explain what she wrote, it really doesn't need explaining). I'm now trying to work on getting her to stop promising people immediate payments when she doesn't know what I am doing. I have gotten home at 11:20 in the evening from work and been shouted at that she has been waiting for me all day to make a payment (I should also add, I need her phone for two factor security so have to meet her to do the transfers). Since I cant always stop what I'm doing to do an eft for her. The whole thing is incredibly stressful, needlessly complicated and needlessly annoying and all stems from the fact that she is my mother. If it was for work, myself, a client, a friend etc it would be so much more simple because the dynamic would not be so difficult to navigate. Even though she cant do it without me, even though I know more then her, the power dynamic is wrong. Just the nature of the beast.

I get a chuckle when she gets frustrated with my 98 year old grandmother, explaining some finance thing to her for example.

#25619 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:53 AM

View PostAbyss, on 21 February 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 February 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

So it begins......

Crap.

Hey, Maark, could you please go stand outside for a minute? And maybe look up at about a 73-degree angle?

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 February 2019 - 06:16 AM, said:

No.

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 February 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

So selfish *smh*

Seriously. Like being vaporized by an orbital beam weapon is a bad thing or something.

#25620 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

Snow. From morning till evening.

The morning bus I take to the subway on my way to work was 45 minutes late.

I am beginning to suspect the groundhog lied to us... :)
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users