• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reaper's Gale Prologue

#141 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

Unless he happened to be draconic at the time. Plus he's a High Mage when it comes to KG. It's not like his sword is all he had to rely on.

- Abyss, thinks Rake was just trying to get into Kilimandaros' pants. If she wore pants.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#142 User is offline   Lord of Salvation 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Is it just me or does the quote "an interesting choice" concerning the finnest strike you as familiar? I swear I have heard it before, maybe not concerning a finnest but something else.

#143 User is offline   Coldnight 

• Corporal

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

It was 'curious choice'. Anyway, it must be something that Gothos could have under his shirt. Perhaps nothins as mundane, as some piece of jewlery, but also not anyone's heart, or any other organ :). People heve really crazy theories. I was waiting for someone to say, it was Brys Beddict's finger :eek:...
:)

#144 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

Just a minor point, but I thought Gothos was int he Deadhouse, not Tremolor. Fiddler et al only encounter him after they travel on that giant map and lose Mappo and Icarium.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Yep he was...but there's nothing to say he couldn't have entered (the one Iccy finished off), and then moved to Deadhouse via the Azath portals :)

#146 User is offline   Murrin 

• First Sword

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:11 PM

Lord Baelish;109983 said:

Just a minor point, but I thought Gothos was int he Deadhouse, not Tremolor. Fiddler et al only encounter him after they travel on that giant map and lose Mappo and Icarium.

My bad. You're right, Tremolor had no guardian.

#147 Guest_Corporal List_*

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

i found it, i found the reference to the red and blonde haired people who appeared on lether.

From "The Bonehunters" Page 481
Ruthan Gudd Talking to the Adjunct Warleader Gall and Captain Kindly,
" I am from them island of Strike, Kindly, which lies against the Outer Reach Deeps. Strike is the most isolated of all the islands in the chain, and our legends hold that we are all that remains of the original inhabitants of Falar- the red- and gold-haired folk you see and think of as Falari were in fact invaders from the eastern ocean, from the other side of Seeker's Deep, or some unknown islands well away from the charted courses across that ocean. They themselves do not even recall their homelands, and most of them beleive they have always lived in Falar. But our old maps show different names, Strike names for all the islands and the kingdoms, and peoples, and the word "Falar" does not appear among them."

also earlier Gudd talks about how "The first map I ever saw of Sevem Cities was Falari, a sea-current map marking out the treacherous areas along this coast- and ever other coastline, all the way to Nemil" and it "[was]dated from the days when the only metals being traded in were tin, copper, lead, and gold."

so it was obviously made by a people who had travelled all around the world and had been doing so for a very very long time.

#148 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

Nice find! Anyone have any idea as to where these people come from? 'Across the Eastern Ocean' could refer to a lot of places...

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#149 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

I can't decide whether the existance of an entire people dedicated to Togg/Fenderbender and fighting the CG is utterly cool or terribly convenient.

- Abyss, leaning towards the former.

#150 User is offline   philospher77 

• Captain

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

Abyss;110239 said:

I can't decide whether the existance of an entire people dedicated to Togg/Fenderbender and fighting the CG is utterly cool or terribly convenient.

To be fair, the fact that we see a contingent of soldiers devoted to T&F is not evidence that the entire people is, anymore than the Grey Swords are evidence that the entire Malazan empire was dedicated to Fener.

#151 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

Does anyone else see the possibility that the letheri city mentioned remains un conquered by the edur? Becoming independant. It is never mentioned they have edur with them

#152 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

So, my internet connection returns after a months absence, and what do I find I've missed, the Reaper's Gale prologue, kallor how can I thank you enough :)

So a series of 1st impressions, lots of it might have come up before buthere goes:

Kilamandros, elder god of the forkrul assail so it seems, and her appearence certainly lived up to her billing, seems the tiste edur's history has been a bit mixed up as we can expect, and kilamandros is the child of indescribable terror, but the edur got confused and she wasn't created by the shedding of the dragons blood, but herself shed the dragons blood. And she's also the elder god who crushed scabandari's hear with her unmailed fist, which would seem to be harder than any mailed fist. Very cool.

And it was gothos who ran off with scabandari's soul, and seems to want to punish it as recompense. Simmilar to hood is it not who seems to exact recompense on souls for there past actions. Gothos mentioning that his magic affects the souls of the dead suggests again that hood may be jaghut, as ice magic seems to be linked to death.

And anomander and kilamadros taking on a world full of feral dragons and various ascendants... how cool is THAT scene, though SE seems to have made a mistake as anomander implies he hasn't fought recently with osserc, whilst in MT osserc fights with anomander shortly after the MT prologue... well its not the final version, and mayhaps SE will pull out an explaination from under his hat or change it when his early readers get back to him...

And the barghast seem to have arrived in lether, 4-5 years before MT so pre GotM, and hence have disappeared... so where are these barghast from? the ones from the nascent? certainly not the ones from MOI who have only just discovered there seafaring heritage. Sicne we know the barghast are widespread, its posisble they have come from elsewhere, assail perhaps?

As to where they have gone npow that is indeed a mystery.

And it seems tavore and the greyhelms reach lether 2 years after the edur conquest, which I think fits with our timeline worked out previously, though there appearence in the same area as the missing barghast is curious, i think we can assume the slaughtered greyhelms didnt come in the canoes, the canoes being completely different from the greyhelms previous mode of transport. By the look of thing's the group of greyhelms slaughtered wasn't a large one, so i suspect we'll see more of them to come.

And the mysterious stranger in the red mask, with his demon companions closes the prologue on an intrigueing note, hopefully we learn more about him in RG.

Now all i have to do is sit and wait for it to come out...

#153 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

@IH - welcome back. All the below just imnsho, of course...

Kili was already on the scene, so not sure how she'd be id'd, even mistakenly, as the Child in question, when the Edur seem to know who she was.

Rake and Ossi have a long history of conflict, apparently. So no certainty that the confrontation supposedly following on Scabby backstabbing Silchas and the one ref'd by Ossi to Menandore and Sukul were the same.

It seems to moi that the group that landed on Leth 2 yrs before the conquest and the group that were defeated 2 yrs after were the same people, tho not necessarily all of them. And certainly seem to be the Perish. Not sure why you think they are Barghast, other than the canoes.

The 2 yrs after period is still, to me, before Tavore's first meeting with the Perish in TB.

- Abyss, counter-theorist.

#154 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

Kili was already on the scene, so not sure how she'd be id'd, even mistakenly, as the Child in question, when the Edur seem to know who she was.

I'm saying that originally the edur knew kilamandros as someone of indescribable terror who slew dragons, and then killed scabby, but over time it became confused and the indescribable terror was said to have been created by the dragons as the edur sought to shift blame to others and then it eventually became the form we see in MT, which is certainly possible after a few hundred thousand years...

It seems to moi that the group that landed on Leth 2 yrs before the conquest and the group that were defeated 2 yrs after were the same people, tho not necessarily all of them. And certainly seem to be the Perish. Not sure why you think they are Barghast, other than the canoes.

I think that unlikely mainly because we know the perish travel in large ships not canoes, so i don't think the two groups are the same, though tehy may be connected. The canoes are described as very like the barghast canoes, especially the dismantling of the prows which makes me think they must belong to the barghast.

The 2 yrs after period is still, to me, before Tavore's first meeting with the Perish in TB.

According to mal's rough timeline Mt takes place in 63/64 so the edur conquer lether in that period, bonehunters takes place 64/65, so 2 years is probably after Tavore met the perish.

#155 Guest_Smirk_*

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

Someone asked in a previous why Kil would be so interested in saving Kurald Emurlahn. If she is the FA god of justice or balance, KE is the balance between light and dark, so naturally she'd be interested in saving it.

Although - she talks about her wayward children, and we know that the TTT were hidden away, or controlled to weaken their blood lines to become the Teblor... can't really remember - the text was in that cave that Karsa and his 2 companions found. Perhaps the TTT are her wayward children? Need to look up that passage.

#156 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

id say the Assail are her children. But they lost their way suggests they are diffrent than her, she obviusly does not go around giving peace to evryone. Than again I get the impression by that the jhaghut turned to the forkrul for help against the tlan that they had some respect for them?

I think her intentions are none other than what she said they were. The loss of one realm is a bad precedent for all the others. All realms are now doomed, for an immortal thats not comforting. And considering the kemalle ritual she was right. Yet the two I would say are unrelated.

However it does seem that warren is special. We know this from BH and conversations edge walker has with cotillion

#157 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

IF the canoes are Perish, there are a couple of options that could explain why the canoes are there - landing craft from the larger ships, perhaps. Or, it took the Perish two years to make the portal for Tavore and the Fourteenth, right? What's to say they didn't perform a similiar ritual beforehand, where the fleet of canoes sailed out of shallow water by the Perish islands, into shallow water off the Lether coast? Then they could have started preparing for Tavore's portal, or even another one somewhere else...
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#158 Guest_MPDFuzz_*

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

The battlefield in question doesn't seem to me to contain the half million as described in the prior part of the prologue. Do you know how many wolves it would take to eat that many hearts? Or conversely, how many hearts they each would have to eat? That's a bunk load of wolves, or conversely, some really fat wolves...

I just don't feel that the two are connected at all. Doesn't ring true to me for some reason.

Also, could someone please help me out with Gothos and the azath. Been a good year since I read any of the books and I don't recall what exactly happened. Did he destroy one? Was that the azath in Lether? I totally don't recall...

#159 User is offline   Lorn 

• Captain

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

Icarium killed an Azath in an attempt to free Gothos, not knowing that Gothos had entered the Azath by his own free will. Gothos now lives in Deadhouse in Malaz city. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Azath was located on the Jhag Odhan in southern Seven Cities.

Could it be possible that the canoes belongs to other Edur, the pure kin? The old Barghast myths talks about fighting them on the oceans, and it's difficult to fight ships with canoes so it is possible that Edur used something similar. There are many hints that those Edur are not the same as Trull's people which doesn't seem to know much about explosives and doesn't dwell in great "shadowy" forests. I can well imagine other Edur being not very happy with the corruption of their kin and traditions. Would be interesting to read about an Edur civil between those that remains loyal to Father Shadow and those that have been corrupted.

#160 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

The 'Pure Kin' that are mentioned seem likely to be Andii or maybe Liosan. But Andii seems likely. Im not saying the people in the boat are either. The first load (the half million) seems likely to be barghast/Moranth (as they have ancient barghast practices being Baghast by blood) given their sea faring heritage. ALthough i dont think there the Genabackan Barghast seen as the numbers dont add up. Maybe from another continent.

But the 2nd load are obviosly Perish given the wolf atrribution and the stylised armour. Maybe not Perish as weve seen but worshippers of T+F maybe from Assail

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users