Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1981 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 October 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

Social media has a lot to answer for

Yep. My sister is 100% swayed by shit she reads and believes on Facebook.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1982 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:04 PM

Dear lord.

It is comforting in a way to know there are others going through this shat with their families as well.

My mom doesn’t understand why I don’t want my grandparents around for my kids birthday when her brother and my cousins all have it and everybody all spent time together recently.

They feel fine, she says....
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1983 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like indoor dining and gyms are toast again in Ontario as cases pushed to 939 today. Emergency cabinet meeting of the Ford Govt, and media is guessing targeted Ontario hotspots returning to Stage 2.

We were headed here. I just wish that they'd have been far more proactive about this. This return to Stage 2 should have happened in Aug/Sept when the cases began to rise...not as we crest 1000 case/day.

People are going to be even more pissed, and I'll continue to wish anti-lockdown/anti-maskers/anti-science people didn't buck hard against the "community well-being" thing.

Sigh. Fucking hell.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1984 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:04 AM

BBC News - Covid reinfection: Man gets Covid twice and second hit 'more severe'
https://www.bbc.co.u...health-54512034
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1985 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:38 PM

A lecture given by Dr Anthony Fauci on Public Health lessons arising from the current situation - from the end of September. The lecture proper starts at about 2:25

I will say this for him, he's quite an engaging speaker.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1986 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:19 PM

We have kept our daughter out of the physical school system and opted for Virtual since we are both Working From Home right now, and the TDSB and provincial govt have mucked up school during COVID...virtual Junior Kindergarten is...interesting but we are managing.

Our son, however, is still only around 2 and so he's at daycare. Now, our Daycare reopened in July with super strict rules, screening and cohorts ect. We put him back in on Sept 1. They seemed to be managing amongst COVID well...a mild cold went round his class and took him out for about a week (I even got a mild case and it's the first time I've been sick all year). We also got him a COVID test (little trooper managed it at only 2 years old!) and he was negative. Fast forward to this past week and there are now TWO COVID positive infections in students in the daycare. Neither are in my sons cohort/classroom thankfully, so the odds he's been exposed to them is small...and apparently neither infection came from community travel of the virus within the care centre...they both have been traced to have come from outside within those families.

That said, he was a little snuffly again today so we kept him home just in case he has a recurrence of that cold from last week (rich, careless parents at our daycare stuff their kids with meds when they are sick and send them in anyways even though they aren't supposed to, causing any given cold to go around longer than it needs to)...but now that these two covid cases have been reported, we are worried about sending him back...so we are hanging onto him till Monday to try to avoid any further spread of the virus that might make it's way into his cohort...

But it's utterly NERVE-WRACKING that even with the stringent screening in place at our care centre (and when I say they are good, I mean they are really good at this) that asymptomatic kids can wiggle through the screening (we were told the two infected kids passed the screening due to not showing symptoms) and expose other kids and staff to COVID anyways.

Like what do we do? We would keep him home for the rest of the year with his sister (again because we are able to work from home right now it's certainly POSSIBLE; if not ideal) but then we would either pay for the empty $100/day spot at our daycare or lose the spot and never get another one in the city.

It's just brutal all around that even after doing the right shit for 6 months, we have to deal with exposure to this virus through the cracks.

Anyways, just ranting...my city is the whole countries real COVID fire and has been for a long time.

We are hopefully getting approved for a mortgage soon so we can move out of the city FINALLY...but it's a long process and we keep missing out on houses because they go so fast in a hot market...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

#1987 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:00 PM

Surprising absolutely no-one, my last game of the season was cancelled.

Thankfully, the pools are gonna stay open on the same, sign-up basis.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1988 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:36 PM

6600+ new cases in Germany today. And people are all up in arms because some states refuse to let people from counties deemed to be risk areas stay overnight. You assholes, can't you just stay put at home for a bit? It's not like we're under lockdown, you're just not supposed to be vacationing willy-nilly across the country. How difficult can that possibly be?! I mean, I can get behind it being difficult for some people to not see family and friends but vacationing?! Nobody NEEDS vacationing. Not to mention these idiots are clogging up the Covid-testing stations because omg, they need their stupid negative test to stay in a hotel.

I just got a new job. If I lose it because people cause another lockdown, I am ripping SOMEONE a new one, don't care who. Possibly that guy who tried to talk me out of my number on Monday claiming everyone needs people around them. No, put your mask on properly and get out of my sight, you bastard.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1989 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:12 PM

We got the news today that my kids teacher is isolating after his mother had a positive test. I've been imagining covid symptoms ever since. Aches and pains and funky throat. Pretty sure they are not real.... Also pretty sure we will be in national lockdown again before the end of the month so I don't want to have to isolate before then.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1990 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Our lockdown starts today.
Everything is shutting up again.

Fuck people and their "need" for a vacation.

You need to stay the fuck at home

#1991 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

How locked down is your lock down? Whole country? All businesses? Or is it more strategic?

#1992 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

The shithouse paper hoarding is back in full force over here :rolleyes: Someone tell these idiots to chill.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1993 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:22 PM

View PostPuck, on 16 October 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

The shithouse paper hoarding is back in full force over here :rolleyes: Someone tell these idiots to chill.

If it's anything like ours, it will be a blip this time. We had about a week of that nonsense as the 2nd wave began in late Sept with people doing that, but they stopped now.
Super annoying though.

#1994 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:50 PM

We had the same, but haven't seen it since. Fingers crossed it'll be the same for you Puck!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1995 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Dr. Fauci interview will air on 60 min this evening in the U.S. I saw a snippet from it and damn he looks worn down.

#1996 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:15 PM

Watched the interview and got very angry. If you want to get angry, you should watch it too. People are complete shit heads. And our superspreader in chief encourages it all.

#1997 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

Ugh, caught some acquaintance of a friend of my wife's on FB sea-lioning about masks. So I went in on her.

Wife posted an article about the Doctors in Ontario advising that no trick or treating happen on Halloween this year in the hotspots because it was a risk not worth taking. Makes sense.

Then this woman chimes in (a woman who previously tried to swindle my wife into an MLM...oi vey!) and says the equivalent of "I wear my mask, but people are not wearing them properly so the CDC says 70% of people getting Covid are mask wearers and 30% of people getting it are anti-maskers..." which is utter and complete bullshit for starters. Second it's taking the CDC report she got it from completely out of context (the line she cited was about how people getting it are getting it without their masks on...AKA when eating, around family at home, or in closed environments...and not Masks VS Anti-masks at all), it was so bad that FB fact checkers threw a warning up on her page she attempted to pull from the doc to "prove me wrong" saying it was 'missing context' (Huzzah for FB fact checkers for once). She then tried to say she's all about truth....then why the hell are you sea-lioning about maskers VS anti-maskers on this comment thread with info lacking context? What purpose does that serve you?

I will never understand this need to gainsay the protection measures we have in place like this. Wear a mask, socially distance when you can't, don't go where you don't need to go, stay in your bubble of people if you can. Flatten the curve. This. Is. Not. Hard.

#1998 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

Ireland's back into full lock down basically as of Wednesday midnight. Or today midnight.
Basically now, for 4-6 weeks

Completely back to where we were in march/April.

Huzzah!

#1999 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

I can't see the rest of the UK being far behind at this rate. Wales are in an at least two week full lockdown, and apparently most of the north of England and Midlands that isn't already in Tier 3 is going to be bumped up.

I know you can't account for the conspiracy theory lot and the terminally stupid, but I can't help but feel a short full national lockdown would case a good deal less confusion - particularly when the Liverpool/Lancashire/Greater Manchester situation is already showing differences within the same tier.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#2000 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:27 PM

I still love this quote from Dresden files

Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.

It’s proven true again and again

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users