Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2001 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 October 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

Ireland's back into full lock down basically as of Wednesday midnight. Or today midnight.
Basically now, for 4-6 weeks

Completely back to where we were in march/April.

Huzzah!

Gods man, that sucks. Hope you all make it through okay.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 20 October 2020 - 03:45 PM, said:

I can't see the rest of the UK being far behind at this rate. Wales are in an at least two week full lockdown, and apparently most of the north of England and Midlands that isn't already in Tier 3 is going to be bumped up.

I know you can't account for the conspiracy theory lot and the terminally stupid, but I can't help but feel a short full national lockdown would case a good deal less confusion - particularly when the Liverpool/Lancashire/Greater Manchester situation is already showing differences within the same tier.

Yes, my relatives in the UK (Gloucester) are preparing for this too as they see it as unavoidably happening.

--------

On our end, our provincial Conservative govt has been too behind the public health advice (reactive rather than proactive) and refuse to anger the anti-lockdown people with full lockdown, but today we had 821 cases, 3.4% positivity (which is insane), and only 24k tests administered...so unless they do something more drastic soon, we are going to be even more fucked.

I'm losing the battle for my mental health amidst all this. Living at the epicentre of the Ontario outbreak is not helping that feeling.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2002 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:18 PM

I think the thing about masks that the messaging has been particularly poor about is that the masks are no longer to prevent you getting covid! To do that you need to wear them Properly, have a fit test, be careful in how you take them off.

We wear masks now to stop us spreading the disease to others. It blocks tour breath. To do this it doesn’t have to be worn perfectly.

If everyone wears the mask and you socially distance the likelihood of you taking off your mask improperly and rubbing covid into your eye should not be an issue.

That’s why people like fauchi advised against masks to start. It didn’t make sense to stop you getting it if you were one in a hundred. It makes sense if we are 99 out of a hundred.

They really need to hammer home this point. I think they don’t sometimes because wearing a mask is now a service to others not yourself when phrased this way. We all benefit though if we all do it

#2003 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:52 PM

I can't see the rest of the UK being far behind at this rate. Wales are in an at least two week full lockdown, and apparently most of the north of England and Midlands that isn't already in Tier 3 is going to be bumped up.

I know you can't account for the conspiracy theory lot and the terminally stupid, but I can't help but feel a short full national lockdown would case a good deal less confusion - particularly when the Liverpool/Lancashire/Greater Manchester situation is already showing differences within the same tier.

I don't think it will happen before there is serious anti-government sentiment in the Tory strongholds and their majority looks shaken. My MP is all over Twitter saying that national lockdown is inappropriate because of the economic devastation. Our covid rates are low, relatively speaking. I kind of want to say that I'm willing to take the hit personally for the greater good but not if they close schools. If they close school I think even though I want to be the bigger person, I don't have it in me.

I would love to see a full breakdown of the demographics of the areas with high rates vs low now. I don't for a moment believe that any area has some kind of moral superiority for why their rates are lower. We should really take a national approach and with school half term holidays next week there is no time like the present to get it organised.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2004 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

More upheaval at work. As well as cancelling all elective surgery last week, 3 junior anaesthetists tested positive and got sent off.

Shortly after.. several more, who live with/car share/generally work with, all got NHS messages that they needed to isolate as they'd been in contact with people who had tested positive. So did one of the consultants! So, even though there are only 3 positives - a total of 15 from the anaesthetic team are off.

This has triggered a knee jerk, poorly thought out series of events, as where they have been comes under scrutiny. In theatre, where they work (and I do) we had people come round and take a load of chairs out of out coffee rooms removing stuff from the walls (!) and then got them deep cleaned. We're currently getting our staff kitchen refitted, so now we have no kitchen, running water, coffee rooms... it's just as well we've only got a couple of lists running.

We took chairs and such and set up an alternative, better spaced area in the currently unused theatre 1. Someone stuck a radio in there, and it's a bit like a hobo camp but at least we have somewhere to sit!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 October 2020 - 07:33 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2005 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:46 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 October 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

I don't think it will happen before there is serious anti-government sentiment in the Tory strongholds and their majority looks shaken. My MP is all over Twitter saying that national lockdown is inappropriate because of the economic devastation. Our covid rates are low, relatively speaking. I kind of want to say that I'm willing to take the hit personally for the greater good but not if they close schools. If they close school I think even though I want to be the bigger person, I don't have it in me.

I would love to see a full breakdown of the demographics of the areas with high rates vs low now. I don't for a moment believe that any area has some kind of moral superiority for why their rates are lower. We should really take a national approach and with school half term holidays next week there is no time like the present to get it organised.

True, that's my only reservation, in that it isn't fair to impose all the misery on areas with relatively low rates. Like you, I think I'd like to be the bigger person but appreciate that's much easier to say from a childless, able to work at home person who is in a bubble with their significant other.

i think they're doing everything possible to keep schools open and I fully support that - it's the thing my oldest friend is most terrified of. She couldn't work throughout the initial lockdown period because of her daughter's school being closed and she's too young to stay in the house alone.

It will be interesting to see if there is a shake up in the strongholds though. I do hope all those "red wall" folks up here (I'm in Yorkshire but I mean the north generally) who voted Tory for the first time are looking at what's happening to Manchester and feeling very silly about their choices.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 21 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#2006 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:19 AM

Alas, I imagine they aren't.

Because the EU/China/aliens are to blame

#2007 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:53 AM

South Yorkshire is going into Tier 3 and have made a financial support arrangement behind closed doors with the Government. It does raise the question whether Andy Burnham's very public 'fight' with the Government was the best approach for his constituents. Sometimes you have to put politics and personal frustrations aside and just focus on getting the best possible deal for your area.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2008 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:03 PM

I can't believe the government are doing region by region deals. It's ridiculous. The 3 tier system was supposed to make it all clearer and then they have an obligation to provide support against the impacts of their restrictions. They think they are some kind of wheeler dealers who look like strong leaders if they can constantly talk about "doing deals". From what I can make out Burnham is taking the higher ground and trying to get a consistent Tier 3 support package voted through parliament. I think it is lose lose for him - acquiesce to these fools and be tarred with the same brush or "let your constituents down". Depends how much death follows I guess....

#2009 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:16 AM

So, maybe one of you medical types can answer this: when they say persistent coughing, how persistent is it? I only ask as yesterday morning I woke up with a cough. Every now and then I will cough. Today I still have it. It feels like a bit of a chesty cold type cough but I don't have a runny nose or anything.

A year ago I would have thought nothing of it but now I'm freaking out. I don't appear to have a temperature or loss of taste/smell so I think I'm fine but the paranoia in me is going into overdrive!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2010 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

Swine flu

#2011 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

That's definitely it, thanks Dr Macros.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2012 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:03 PM

A week or two ago the minister of Health here in Denmark stated that the epidemic was now under control. Yesterday and today the confirmed cases spiked to 600+ and 700+. Highest numbers yet.

There's a press conference planned for later today. I wonder how hard the hammer is coming down.

#2013 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

700 new cases! Cute

#2014 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

Small country, small numbers. But I'd be surprised if we aren't going to see numbers above a thousand during the winter period.

#2015 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:42 PM

We've now reached 11k new cases per day as of yesterday. And here Angie was warning everyone about 19k cases per day by Christmas. That's cute.

Oh, and our minister of health has tested positive.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#2016 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:50 PM

Here is an anti-mask (anti-lockdown) group (note the camo/hunting hats and jackets...these are out of towner rural Ontarians, NOT Torontonians) who came to cause a ruckus in Toronto Tuesday...

Context for the video. This is Queens Park Legislative building in Toronto. The Seat of the Provincial Parliament. There is a Huge public entrance on the other Side of the building, which as public you can go into. This is the back of he building, which fronts onto the Park it gets its name from. This is a member entrance. It is non-public, and there are ALWAYS two peace officers standing outside of it to make sure the public doesn't use it and that they go around to the front. We walk our kids by this entrance almost daily when we are out for walks, the kiddos wave at the pace officers...whose thankless job is to stand in the heat and cold and masked up during a pandemic and make sure the entrance stays non-public.

So at the beginning of this video you can see/hear the one officer advising the man and his cohorts of anti-maskers to use the public entrance around the other side. They refuse. They refuse because they KNOW they aren't getting anywhere once they go in through the public entrance, as the security there is much more dense. It's a tactic. "Make them arrest me, and I can accuse them of govt overreach".....ugh.

Also, please note they all think this is some public building owned by the public that they can waltz into. It is not. It is the Legislative building of Ontario. In lieu of the Queen not being present most of the time (she owns it), nor the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario (who owns it if she is present and the Queen isn't), it is "owned" (if we want to use that word) by The Speaker Of The House. The one dude asks the peace officer who owns it, FULLY expecting the officer to not know/thinks it's owned by the public....is a little flabbergasted when the peace officer schools him. It's a beautiful moment.

Anyways. Covidiots in my province. I've heard this guy has tried to "citizens arrest" both Justin Trudeau and Doug Ford...so yeah...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 October 2020 - 03:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2017 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 October 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

So, maybe one of you medical types can answer this: when they say persistent coughing, how persistent is it? I only ask as yesterday morning I woke up with a cough. Every now and then I will cough. Today I still have it. It feels like a bit of a chesty cold type cough but I don't have a runny nose or anything.

A year ago I would have thought nothing of it but now I'm freaking out. I don't appear to have a temperature or loss of taste/smell so I think I'm fine but the paranoia in me is going into overdrive!

Is it easy to go get a test around you? Probably worth doing it for the peace of mind.

#2018 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

Is it easy to go get a test around you? Probably worth doing it for the peace of mind.

Hmm not very but it could probably be arranged. My coughing has reduced even more in frequency and I've not had a temperature at all or shortness of breath etc. Figure I'm probably fine. Picked up some cough medicine and that seems to have helped.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2019 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:37 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 October 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 October 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hmm not very but it could probably be arranged. My coughing has reduced even more in frequency and I've not had a temperature at all or shortness of breath etc. Figure I'm probably fine. Picked up some cough medicine and that seems to have helped.

Is it an expectorant cough? The COVID cough is reportedly dry in nature, not expectorating (producing phlegm).

#2020 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 22 October 2020 - 06:49 PM

I read a more clear definition somewhere on the NHS website. Can't remember precise details but it was something like noticing yourself coughing a lot at least 3 times in an hour and the type of cough that would stop you sleeping. So sounds like yours isn't persistent. The symptom checker seems so clear and easy until you actually have to check a symptom!

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users