Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1941 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:26 PM

Florida's governor (Ron DeSantis) has removed all restrictions. Florida is a popular retirement state. So, take a guess on how this turns out.

#1942 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 September 2020 - 05:48 PM

Corona-babies!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1943 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 September 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Florida's governor (Ron DeSantis) has removed all restrictions. Florida is a popular retirement state. So, take a guess on how this turns out.

I mean that's a lot of trump voters dead, potentially...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1944 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:51 PM

That's a shamefully shitty fucked-up thing to say.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#1945 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:10 AM

It's an observation about Republican politicians hurting their own voter base.

#1946 User is offline   King Lear 

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:53 AM

Then it's not only callous, it's inaccurate, considering the virus impacts people of colour at disproportionately higher rates in the US, and Florida is one of the most diverse states in the country. Florida isn't a deep red state, Desantis won by less than 1% in 2018.

But you know, dead old people who theoretically vote for trump. You're really going to try and convince people that wasn't being expressed as a good thing?

I just think it's so cute how many people went off at Amph in this thread for "fearmongering" when he expressed sympathy for the looming deaths in the UK because of complete government mismanagement, but speculating on potential dead Trump supporters is just 'observation'.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#1947 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:10 AM

Apologies I wasn't trying to be shocking or callous, but reading it again I can see how it appears to be that. As Apt says I was more observing that it seemed to me like the Republican politicians weren't doing their own base any favours. I wasn't saying it's a good thing and I was in no way celebrating more death.

I'm sorry that it came across that way and thank you for pointing it out to me.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1948 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:04 PM

Heyo, Tiste thanks for taking King Lear's point well.

She has a great point about how the costs of the awful decision to open fully are going to be borne most by the people who almost entirely aren't DeSantis or Trump voters.

The staggering statistic of 1 in a 1000 black people in the country has already died of Covid-19 is true.

Biden appears to be referring a recent study from APM Research Lab found that the Covid-19 death rate for Blacks is 1 in 1,020 (97.9 deaths per 100,000). The report notes that "if they had died of COVID-19 at the same actual rate as White Americans, about 20,800 Black, 10,900 Latino, 700 Indigenous, and 80 Pacific Islander Americans would still be alive."
https://www.nbcnews....282/ncrd1241499
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1949 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 October 2020 - 06:22 PM

Oct. 1, so looking at the calendar. You know what's really a bummer? Halloween falls on a Saturday this year AND there is a full Hunter's Moon that night. So much fun trick r treating and mischief gonna be lost to this bullshit. Well, I guess the teenagers can still be up to mischief though, right?

#1950 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 October 2020 - 08:36 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 October 2020 - 06:22 PM, said:

Oct. 1, so looking at the calendar. You know what's really a bummer? Halloween falls on a Saturday this year AND there is a full Hunter's Moon that night. So much fun trick r treating and mischief gonna be lost to this bullshit. Well, I guess the teenagers can still be up to mischief though, right?

Don't answer the door or the teenage super-spreaders will give you covid.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1951 User is offline   King Lear 

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:00 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 October 2020 - 06:10 AM, said:

Apologies I wasn't trying to be shocking or callous, but reading it again I can see how it appears to be that. As Apt says I was more observing that it seemed to me like the Republican politicians weren't doing their own base any favours. I wasn't saying it's a good thing and I was in no way celebrating more death.

I'm sorry that it came across that way and thank you for pointing it out to me.

Thanks for this. I apologise for reading your comment in the worst possible light.

This comment from reddit has been shared around a lot since it was posted. It's reddit so of course there's not really any way to verify whether it's true but I've seen it resonating with a lot of people on different social media (honestly I'm feeling a bit haunted by this post, it's appearing a bunch of places).

When there's an emergency or some other awful thing happening, I go into robot mode and just do everything that needs to be done until it's done and just absolutely break down afterwards, which I imagine is pretty common. I feel like there's been no 'afterwards' for so many people. With an accident or even ongoing illness there's a process (even if it sucks). The sense of the world continuing around you is kind of galling when you're in or have just come out of crisis, but also almost protective because there's a sense of normality to return to. But now there's no normal after the illness and the death, and the illness and death just keep happening. All the rituals around grieving that allow you to have people around you and to process what's happening (whatever that looks like) are just gone. It sucks so much this happened on an election year as well. People just don't get a chance to catch their breath.
*Men's Frights Activist*

#1952 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:10 AM

Trump and Mrs Trump tested positive for Corona.

https://www.cnn.com/...irus/index.html

Sending thoughts and prayers as we speak.

#1953 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:42 AM

You see the problem with that is.

Let's assume everyone in the Cabal comes througH it fine.

What does this do for attitudes that covid isn't a problem?

#1954 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

View PostAptorian, on 02 October 2020 - 05:10 AM, said:

Trump and Mrs Trump tested positive for Corona.

https://www.cnn.com/...irus/index.html

Sending thoughts and prayers as we speak.

May thoughts and prayers be as helpful as they are any other time.

Maybe now he could be or service - at least as a cautionary tale. Will his followers take it a bit more seriously now? Possibly, but I reckon only if Trump gets it BAD.
Gah, imagine if he only gets mild symptoms or is asymptomatic. That would just make him and his followers worse.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 October 2020 - 07:02 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1955 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:37 AM

It's likely BS.

It will draw attention away from Biden, and I bet he's 'miraculously' cured right before voting time.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 October 2020 - 10:38 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1956 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:48 AM

View PostTraveller, on 02 October 2020 - 10:37 AM, said:

It's likely BS.

It will draw attention away from Biden, and I bet he's 'miraculously' cured right before voting time.

This is a very sad possibility that I would not put past the Trump camp. He's literally proven to be that cartoonishly evil.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1957 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:34 PM

Yeah pretty sure it's BS on his part.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1958 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:21 PM

732 cases in Ontario today...323 in Toronto, 141 in Ottawa, and 111 in Peel....these three places (the worst of which I reside in) need to be shunted back to Stage 2 before it's too late. This is only going to get worse.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1959 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

I made a post on FB about Boris, Bolsonaro and Trump all getting covid after downplaying it as world leaders....and this one friend I have who is a conservative most for the time...commented that it was "fake news"...never have I enjoyed blocking someone more. I'm so done with people like her. If this pandemic is the line I draw in the sand between whatever friendship we had, so be it...and I'm not sad at all about it. She's been on her last strike with me for a while now so I'm not surprised I had to do it.

#1960 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

I'll be interested to hear if Trump is back on hydroxychloroquine. He took if for a week back in May, right? Which we all know was bullshit.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook