Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1961 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 04:04 PM

90k case test backlog in Ontario and cases beginning to skyrocket (which means contact tracing is effectively null and void)....we've lost control. This is bad.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1962 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

90k case test backlog in Ontario and cases beginning to skyrocket (which means contact tracing is effectively null and void)....we've lost control. This is bad.

Stage 2 / red zones in TO, Peel, Ottawa, by Monday i'm guessing.

Dammit.

DAMMIT
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1963 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 October 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2020 - 04:04 PM, said:

Stage 2 / red zones in TO, Peel, Ottawa, by Monday i'm guessing.

Dammit.

DAMMIT

Yep. Dammit indeed. I'm sorry my city is such a shitshow. Those around me have been doing our best, but there are way too many people who assumed that under 100 cases a day meant things were back to normal.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1964 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yep. Dammit indeed. I'm sorry my city is such a shitshow. Those around me have been doing our best, but there are way too many people who assumed that under 100 cases a day meant things were back to normal.

I think the mistake is thinking of this issue as choices made by individuals. I disagree with that thinking. It's a policy issue. BC 'ended' our lockdown earlier than Ontario and I believe our curve is less steep than Ontario because the policies being enforced are more effective here.

My point isn't that wearing masks and social distancing don't matter. My point is that people are fairly predictable, most respond to education, restrictions, laws, etc. If the province isn't setting boundaries and communicating them effectively to everyone, there will be issues. Further, if the province still can't have enough tests 6 months into a pandemic then it's an even bigger governance failure which affects transmissions rates which increases the shortage problem etc. etc. etc.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1965 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 02 October 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

I think the mistake is thinking of this issue as choices made by individuals. I disagree with that thinking. It's a policy issue. BC 'ended' our lockdown earlier than Ontario and I believe our curve is less steep than Ontario because the policies being enforced are more effective here.

My point isn't that wearing masks and social distancing don't matter. My point is that people are fairly predictable, most respond to education, restrictions, laws, etc. If the province isn't setting boundaries and communicating them effectively to everyone, there will be issues. Further, if the province still can't have enough tests 6 months into a pandemic then it's an even bigger governance failure which affects transmissions rates which increases the shortage problem etc. etc. etc.

Actually in the GTA of Ontario at least the uptick problem seemed to stem (according to public health) largely from private gatherings of many people including indoor weddings. Something that is very hard to police and enforce by govt. So it kind of is the individuals. In most cases the businesses and whatnot that are allowed to be open have made sure people followed their rules and aside from some idiots, they have. Most of the major outbreaks since August have come from large parties. That's not an ignorable stat.

#1966 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

Mike Pence tested negative. So I guess Wednesday's debate is still on? He'll need to have a daily test though leading up to the debate, yeah?

#1967 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:22 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2020 - 05:58 PM, said:

Actually in the GTA of Ontario at least the uptick problem seemed to stem (according to public health) largely from private gatherings of many people including indoor weddings. Something that is very hard to police and enforce by govt. So it kind of is the individuals. In most cases the businesses and whatnot that are allowed to be open have made sure people followed their rules and aside from some idiots, they have. Most of the major outbreaks since August have come from large parties. That's not an ignorable stat.

If you're claiming that people in the GTA for some reason decide to have more unsafe private gatherings than people in Vancouver because they is just ... more bad people in the GTA then I ask you for evidence of that extra-ordinary claim regarding human nature.

The alternative that messaging and public policy initiatives in BC have been a lot more effective is the preferable explanation for me.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1968 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 October 2020 - 01:12 AM

I suspect my soccer game tomorrow will be the last one. The one scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving prolly won't happen at this rate.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1969 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 01:40 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 03 October 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

If you're claiming that people in the GTA for some reason decide to have more unsafe private gatherings than people in Vancouver because they is just ... more bad people in the GTA then I ask you for evidence of that extra-ordinary claim regarding human nature.

The alternative that messaging and public policy initiatives in BC have been a lot more effective is the preferable explanation for me.

I mean, it’s been in the news...do your own googling.

#1970 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 03 October 2020 - 02:31 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 October 2020 - 01:40 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 03 October 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

I mean, it's been in the news...do your own googling.

Google can't reveal causal connections. I'm not saying people aren't being idiots, I'm saying people are the same level of idiocy everywhere. It's the government response to that idiocy that's different in different places.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1971 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:09 AM

Sure. Whatever you think.

#1972 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:56 AM

I have a friend with long covid. She's had it 5 months now. She was barely sick with the virus but she has serious fatigue and can't think straight. She can't work or care for her kids. Her husband had to quit his job because they wouldn't give him enough leave to look after the kids. She has improved a bit after seeing a cardiologist and being put on a really high salt diet but still not enough to work. It's bonkers.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1973 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:07 PM

BC - population relatively spread out, prefers the great outdoors, strong influence from Asia towards masks.
ONT - the opposite of that.

Even in Ottawa, which is way way more vanilla than TO, there is a large group of people who decided it was ok to do whatever the fnck they wanted. It's not US level, but it's close.

...and I'm getting really angry about it. Pointless, i acknowledge, but ffs we almost got there and between the mindlessly horny 20somethings hitting the bars and the morons who think their 150 person wedding has divine protection... here we are. Again.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1974 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:32 PM

Sigh.

So we had my son tested because he got something at daycare (gave it to both my daughter and me)...got his result, he’s fine just a cold, not Covid thankfully.

Called my sister to update her about another family issue and told her that my son, her nephew is fine...and she went off on what I can only call an anti-mask, anti-science rant about how she’s not afraid of Covid like me, and the economy should be fully back open, borders, planes...ect.

I knew she was not handling this well, but she’s gone right off the deep end. I said “I’m following the science” and she fed me that some scientists and doctors disagree and say it’s the flu, no worse!.... And I’m sad because now I have to prospectively cut a sibling out of my life...because even a 5minute convo about a different topic descended into conspiracy theory...

#1975 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:45 PM

The thing with respiratory viruses is that everyone thinks they know something because everyone has had one. And to some extent everyone has an opinion loosely based on fact because they do have experience and they have gauged their own personal risk. It's that bigger step back and looking at how it ripples out and affects everyone else that some people are more or less equipped to do. I don't really blame anyone for not dealing with this right. You can probably predict which way most people will go based on priors too.

#1976 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:48 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 03 October 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

The thing with respiratory viruses is that everyone thinks they know something because everyone has had one. And to some extent everyone has an opinion loosely based on fact because they do have experience and they have gauged their own personal risk. It's that bigger step back and looking at how it ripples out and affects everyone else that some people are more or less equipped to do. I don't really blame anyone for not dealing with this right. You can probably predict which way most people will go based on priors too.

Yeah. This is not her first rodeo on the conspiracy end of the spectrum, so I tended to think she was going that way...still, not fun.

She earlier told me she thinks China made this in a lab and released it...because my brother in law was in Wuhan last oct, and claims it was a ghost town long before it was announced...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 October 2020 - 09:52 PM

#1977 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:56 PM

My mum thinks everyone who dies has it coming because they are fat. She was analysing photos of victims on tv during lockdown and reporting back to me that they were all overweight. She even told my aunt that she better watch out for her daughters, my mothers neices because they are both chunky! I could do with losing a few pounds as could my sister.

Yes, my mum is overweight. But these people had it coming apparently!

#1978 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:59 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 03 October 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

My mum thinks everyone who dies has it coming because they are fat. She was analysing photos of victims on tv during lockdown and reporting back to me that they were all overweight. She even told my aunt that she better watch out for her daughters, my mothers neices because they are both chunky! I could do with losing a few pounds as could my sister.

Yes, my mum is overweight. But these people had it coming apparently!

Jeez. I’m sorry you have to deal with that.

My parents are listening, but I think my sisters family is a lost cause.

#1979 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

It's fine, my mother thinks everything is down to people being fatter or more stupid than she is! Ideally both.

#1980 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:01 PM

Social media has a lot to answer for

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic