Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1681 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:00 AM

What’s amazing is not that Disney would open, but that it would be allowed to and that people are going!

It’s literally the character in horror movies going down into the basement to check on the chainsaw noise

#1682 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

View PostCause, on 13 July 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

What’s amazing is not that Disney would open, but that it would be allowed to and that people are going!

It’s literally the character in horror movies going down into the basement to check on the chainsaw noise

But being COVID aware, at least the character does it alone, and will "be right back" ... :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 13 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1683 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

And usually the chainsaw bearer is wearing a mask. So all good.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1684 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:39 AM

View PostCause, on 13 July 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

Yep. This is what my wife and I commented on...why would anyone EVER go to a place like Disney during all this in one of the states where it's hitting hardest? Like are you that dumb people?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1685 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

Florida is just really fucking dumb.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1686 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

The answer to all these questions and more is: a ridiculously high proportion of USAnians are fucking morons who prize wilful ignorance over science and/or sense, with absolutely no excuse for being that way.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1687 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 July 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

Florida is just really fucking dumb.

The kid eating the flower while the mom is ranting about masks is metaphorically perfect.

#1688 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:58 AM

This is like Bill & Ted Hand out Masks....and it's awesome....but also the people on the beach in Cali disappoint me if only because their kneejerk is "muh freedoms!" to the point of wanting to fight dudes simply asking if they want a free mask...in a state that has just had to re-shut down the economy because of idiots just like this...

#1689 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

In TX sitting in truck. I really miss my come only every other month sweet deal I had the last 2 yrs till this past March. Don’t want to go into this hospital and up to 3rd floor. Having who knows how many of the Corona germs bumping into me. Will wash clothes when I get home.

Wear your mask, wash your hands/use sanitizer when you get back in your truck after leaving the hospital, use elbows for doors where possible. Wash your hands again when you get home for at least 20 seconds. Wash your clothes too. You'll reduce the chance that anyone passes the droplets to you by a huge amount just doing that. Stay safe.

#1690 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

I thought this was an interesting article on how regional differences in America might contribute to fundamental differences in how they approach the pandemic. I know I'm guilty of thinking of the US as one big cohesive unit.

#1691 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

I went out today to do some non-essential shopping for the first time since mid-March. Just a couple of things, mainly to see what it was like and because I needed to buy my kids school uniform. I wore a mask for the first time. It will be mandatory in shops in the UK from next Monday. My god, in the school uniform shop people really stared at me! I felt so awkward. I get that it is very much not part of our culture but I don't see what the issue is now considering everyone should be in them next week. Maybe I made them feel bad because they were maskless but everyone seemed incredibly uncomfortable around me. People are weird.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1692 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

Everyone should be in masks *today* even if the formal obligation to do that is coming next week.

Good on you for wearing and keeping the mask on despite the weirdness from others.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1693 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 15 July 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

I went out today to do some non-essential shopping for the first time since mid-March. Just a couple of things, mainly to see what it was like and because I needed to buy my kids school uniform. I wore a mask for the first time. It will be mandatory in shops in the UK from next Monday. My god, in the school uniform shop people really stared at me! I felt so awkward. I get that it is very much not part of our culture but I don't see what the issue is now considering everyone should be in them next week. Maybe I made them feel bad because they were maskless but everyone seemed incredibly uncomfortable around me. People are weird.

Toronto a few months back felt like this too, but progressively people got on board, and now the "looks" are given to the maskless ppl instead, as I would say about 90% of the people I see out now have masks. It's honestly become a fashion statement, with different kinds, style and colour matched to outfits...it's really cool actually.

Hopefully you all will get there too.

I also hope that like in Asian countries and cultures, masks become ubiquitous post-Covid for the sick...it will only help us deal with colds and flu as well.

#1694 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

I want em gone asap. I’m terrified certain things are going to be permanent.

The best way to get masks gone ASAP is for everyone to wear them almost all the time for the next two and a half months.

The more people that do this, the faster they go away. The less people that do this, the longer the masks stick around and more people will get sick.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1695 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:18 PM

I want em gone asap. I’m terrified certain things are going to be permanent.

Why do you fear permanence though?

It's not like even the places where masks are and have been ubiquitous like in Asian countries, that they are mandatory and regulated by the govt in non-pandemic times. People just do it to be kind to others and keep them from getting a cold or a virus.

#1696 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 July 2020 - 06:18 PM, said:

I want em gone asap. I'm terrified certain things are going to be permanent.

Why do you fear permanence though?

It's not like even the places where masks are and have been ubiquitous like in Asian countries, that they are mandatory and regulated by the govt in non-pandemic times. People just do it to be kind to others and keep them from getting a cold or a virus.

And to protect themselves from air pollution, which is bad enough in many areas of the United States to have major impacts on health. For example: 'Long-term exposure to air pollution, especially ground-level ozone, is like smoking about a pack of cigarettes a day for many years [... with respect to risk for] emphysema. [...] The study looked at more than 7,000 adults ages 45 to 84 for over a decade in six US metropolitan areas -- Baltimore, Chicago, Los Angeles,  New York City, St. Paul, Minnesota, and Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

[...] Earlier studies predicted exposure to ground-level ozone concentrations could lead to millions more acute respiratory problems and would cost the United States billions of dollars. Exposure to air pollution caused more than 107,000 premature deaths in the United States in 2011 alone'

https://www.cnn.com/...-scn/index.html
The United States would be better off if people in these areas started wearing P100 or N95 masks more frequently, once they become widely available again. As a secondary benefit, it will also decrease the likelihood of getting other respiratory illnesses.
I hope I'll still be able to wear my P100 mask, safety glasses, and gloves without having to worry about having paranoid people calling police/security on me (almost missed my train once because of that).

If you're not comfortable seeing other people wearing masks, that's a psychological issue that you need to work on (if you want to live in an open society without feeling that ultimately irrational (and maladaptive) discomfort).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 July 2020 - 07:09 PM

#1697 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

If I need to go out and grab smth, I keep a bag with a mask in my pocket.

No real issue wearing one indoors, if that's what the rule is.

While walking outdoors tho, it stays in my pocket. I walk fast, and in this weather, I sweat. I'd have more problems breathing with a mask on.

People can give me whatever looks they want, I don't make eye contact with random on the street. Plus I'm wearing shades 99% of the time. And I keep my distance from others.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1698 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

View PostMentalist, on 15 July 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

While walking outdoors tho, it stays in my pocket. I walk fast, and in this weather, I sweat. I'd have more problems breathing with a mask on.

I started wearing mine outside while walking with the kids for our daily outings during the recent heat wave solely so that I could get comfy with wearing it in non-heat wave...it makes me feel generally safer as we continue to get our numbers to drop. In the last two days or so as the temp dropped closer to seasonal normal, my conditioning worked and I barely notice the mask on now. Yeah, it's a little wonky to breathe, but not excessive.

#1699 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

You shouldnt have to wear a mask outdoors, it doesn't do anything really. As long as you keep your distance from others who arent in your household. It is indoors where a mask can make a difference.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1700 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

It's a narrative that racist, mouth breathing Trump supporters perpetuate, because.... muh freedomez! 'murrica!

A heads up on another thing that is gaining momentum. There is a narrative about testing - that it doesn't work, is a fraud, and is being used to make Trump look bad to hurt him in November. A chant at Trump rallies will be a thing, no doubt about it.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users