Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1661 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

View PostNot a Sheep, on 10 July 2020 - 06:58 AM, said:

Dear me this snot faucet better be from the grass cutting earlier. I mean it started right in the middle of it but it's now 2am and hours later. It should have stopped by now like normal. Throat is getting tight. Headache. Mouthbreathing.

I don't wanna be the cherry popper member.

On this anyway

Do you have a pollen allergy? If so, take an allergy med.

Because this sounds like me having a rather bad reaction to pollen.

#1662 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 09 July 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 09 July 2020 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 09 July 2020 - 06:43 PM, said:

I don't think racist people need Trump's inspiration to do racist things.

I think you'd be surprised how people change when they see someone in a position of authority doing racist this they know is wrong, but want to do anyway. While they were still racist, they weren't as open about it and weren't willing to do it in public around people they didn't know.

The tech CEO shouted 'Trump's gonna fuck you up'.

'ABC News finds 54 cases invoking "Trump" in connection with violence, threats, alleged assaults.

[...] in at least 12 cases perpetrators hailed Trump in the midst or immediate aftermath of physically assaulting innocent victims. In another 18 cases, perpetrators cheered or defended Trump while taunting or threatening others. And in another 10 cases, Trump and his rhetoric were cited in court to explain a defendant's violent or threatening behavior.'

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=58912889

To get back on topic---same goes for anti-maskers. Multiple examples of them citing Trump.

Would some of them have done it anyway? Sure.

But what are the odds that Trump isn't significantly contributing to these behaviors? Extremely small.

'there is a clear correlation between Trump campaign events and incidents of prejudiced violence. [...] The data analysis discussed above has centered on correlations; they are suggestive of a link between Trump and racist attitudes and behavior, but do not actually demonstrate that one leads to the other. However, there is also causal evidence to point to. In experiments, being exposed to Trump's rhetoric actually increases expressions of prejudice.'

https://www.brooking...o-the-data-say/

Granted, a cursory search didn't turn up a study of the correlation between Trump's tweets and violence against Asian-AMericans this year. But here's one from 2018: 'Do Trump Tweets Spur Hate Crimes?

Study makes strong case that president's Twitter activity encourages anti-Muslim crimes'

https://www.scientif...r-hate-crimes1/

Having a person in a position of power support racist or violent stances emboldens racists. They think that they will escape consequences and may even get institutional support.

#1663 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

View PostAptorian, on 09 July 2020 - 06:43 PM, said:

I don't think racist people need Trump's inspiration to do racist things.

No one wants to be first, but when someone steps up they join in.

Imagine an empty dancefloor; the music's playing and people do want to dance because they like the song. But it remains empty. Then someone gets up to dance and soon the dancefloor is full.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 10 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1664 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:14 AM

Sure, sure, but though Trump is a racist with a megaphone, all the world's ills can't be traced back to him. There's plenty of racist beacons to go around.

Remember when that Tsunami hit Japan a decade or so ago and assholes on social media were cheering because "they deserve it for what they did to the US during WW2"?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 July 2020 - 11:16 AM

#1665 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:29 PM

Trump's tacit approval and dog whistling to the scumbags out there is like the chaperones at SM's dance pushing their charges onto the dancefloor and telling their dates to feel them up.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1666 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostAptorian, on 10 July 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

Sure, sure, but though Trump is a racist with a megaphone, all the world's ills can't be traced back to him. There's plenty of racist beacons to go around.

Remember when that Tsunami hit Japan a decade or so ago and assholes on social media were cheering because "they deserve it for what they did to the US during WW2"?

There has been a huge spike in hate based crimes since he got elected. As of 2018 (the last year the FBI released hate crime statistics for), the USA is experiencing a 16 year high for hate crimes.

https://www.nytimes....fbi-report.html

It would be good if you don't minimize the impact of a belligerently racist president enabling hate crimes with his direct speech and clear giving of permission to other racists to act.

This is beyond Twitter jerks. This is direct acts of violence being committed against people.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1667 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

Indeed, you cannot underestimate or marginalise the enormous impact that Trump's rhetoric has on empowering racist and mysogynistic behaviour. Sure, people might not 'turn' racist just because Trump says things, but that is not the point. He normalises and legitimises a type of behaviour which would otherwise have been the underbelly mutterings of isolated individuals. He is allowing this type of speech to become 'acceptable' in mainstream media and society.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1668 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:58 PM

I remember a video of a bunch of Nazis in America in the days after he was elected going "Hail Trump" and doing the salute.

Yes, he isn't directly responsible for those individuals but he is responsible for them having a new boldness, a new voice and being legitimised when their current enemy, Antifa, is being touted as a terrorist organisation, and they're being called Very Fine People.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1669 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

https://www.covidexi...4UK_OzcsbKU4dTg

'The United States shattered the worldwide record of daily new coronavirus cases Thursday—65,551, according to Johns Hopkins University—beating the previous record of 60,200 cases in 24 hours, set Wednesday. Tuesday’s record was 58,146 new infections. The increasing rate of infections reverses the country’s declining curve as multiple states, especially those in the South and West, reopen for some version of pre-pandemic business as usual.'

https://www.thedaily...e-days?ref=home

#1670 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

'"People yell at me 'go back to China' or 'hey, coronavirus.' I face these attacks at least twice a week on my way to work," says Korean-American artist Kate Bae, who was physically assaulted near Bryant Park.

[...] Bae, who is temporarily working for the US Census Bureau, was on her way to the office when she saw a man walking towards her on the corner of 42nd Street and 6th Avenue.

"He suddenly came close to me and just punched me," Bae told Hyperallergic in a phone conversation. "I fell backward on the ground but I got up immediately to identify him, although my head was hurting. When I screamed 'stop right there,' he started running away."

Two NYPD officers who arrived at the scene took a complaint from Bae but were not able to locate the attacker, who had fled the scene.'

https://hyperallergi...rtist-attacked/

Granted, there have been similar attacks in Canada, Australia, and the UK, where Trump isn't president (yet... hopefully there won't be 'God-Emperor Cyber-Trump 2024'), though I'd expect it to be worse in the US per capita.

Canada:

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

#1671 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:17 PM

Last week one of my colleagues died of it, it was less than a week from him showing symptoms to dying in hospital. He was at another site, so I didn't know him all that well. But I'd met him quite a number of times because we sat on some of the same Working Groups.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1672 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

Everyone in the U.S. should be at ease, with the knowledge we have a president who is showing real leadership.
Posted Image

#1673 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:37 PM

'Coronavirus hijacks cells, forces them to grow tentacles, then invades others

Posted Image

[...] Phosphorylation, a process that can activate and deactivate proteins, is "extremely important" for many cellular processes, including protein synthesis, cell division, signaling, cell growth, development and aging[...]

The set of kinases is like the "master switchboard of the cell," [...] "If the virus can come in and manipulate the switchboard, it can manipulate things in a way that's beneficial for infection."

Using a method called mass spectrometry, which measures the mass of different molecules such as proteins, the team found "dramatic rewiring of phosphorylation on host and viral proteins," inside monkey cells[...]

High-resolution imaging of the infected cells showed that the cells had grown tentacle-like protrusions called "filopodia," which contained viral proteins, according to the statement. The researchers found both CK2 and viral proteins within the filopodia, suggesting that the coronavirus hijacks CK2 and forces it to form tentacles. Those tentacles then poke holes in nearby cells, allowing the virus to infect new cells'

https://www.livescie...LMN8FySxbNM79UA

#1674 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:33 AM

This is how stupid shit is. There was a nice little story on my local news about a ranch and outdoor bar-b-que restaurant reopening. The place was completely destroyed in a fire and finally rebuilt and having a grand reopening celebration. It's open air, large picnic style tables and spread out. There was a limited number of tickets sold to make sure there is plenty of space for social distancing. So the news reporter is wearing a mask and reporting live as the customers were walking by. Everyone had a mask on (almost everyone), and the story isn't even about the pandemic, it's about the reopening of this historic ranch and restaurant. Anyway, the people walking by all have masks on, except this couple, older. You can see them in the background approaching as the guests are walking in, and they are the only ones not wearing a mask. As they get closer to the camera, walking behind the reporter, you can see they are wearing a red shirt with guess what on it, Trump 2020. Posted Image

#1675 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:11 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 July 2020 - 11:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

[...] Phosphorylation, a process that can activate and deactivate proteins, is "extremely important" for many cellular processes, including protein synthesis, cell division, signaling, cell growth, development and aging[...]

The set of kinases is like the "master switchboard of the cell," [...] "If the virus can come in and manipulate the switchboard, it can manipulate things in a way that's beneficial for infection."

Using a method called mass spectrometry, which measures the mass of different molecules such as proteins, the team found "dramatic rewiring of phosphorylation on host and viral proteins," inside monkey cells[...]

High-resolution imaging of the infected cells showed that the cells had grown tentacle-like protrusions called "filopodia," which contained viral proteins, according to the statement. The researchers found both CK2 and viral proteins within the filopodia, suggesting that the coronavirus hijacks CK2 and forces it to form tentacles. Those tentacles then poke holes in nearby cells, allowing the virus to infect new cells'

This is apparently the Cthulhu of viruses

#1676 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:32 AM

View PostAndorion, on 12 July 2020 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 July 2020 - 11:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

This is apparently the Cthulhu of viruses

The Cthulhuvirus....

#1677 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 10 July 2020 - 09:17 PM, said:

Last week one of my colleagues died of it, it was less than a week from him showing symptoms to dying in hospital. He was at another site, so I didn't know him all that well. But I'd met him quite a number of times because we sat on some of the same Working Groups.

That's very sad. I still don't know anyone who has definitely had it. I have a friend who tested negative after mild symptoms but she has had the exhaustion thing for 2 months now so I think she probably had it. Otherwise nothing. We have comparatively low rates in our county. And I'm still loving my hermit life.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1678 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:59 PM

Well, the freshest "Karen" video that is el fuego at the moment: Woman yells "we don't cover our faces!" Dude recording tells her to get away from him. She turns around before leaving and says something about Obama. I think she may have said "you worship Obama!" Then she says "peace, love, harmony, Trump 2020 baby!".Someone says "get out of here bitch." She replies "did you just call me a bitch, I got your bitch! Fucking democrat, black lives matter, Antifa motherfucker! Our lives matter mother fucker!"

I'm guessing she will be fired her job like the other dummies, but she looks like the type who is fraudulently collecting disability and doesn't work. So probably no professional blow-back in this particular situation. Back home to watching Fox News on the couch after stopping in at Walmart. Just another racist Trump supporter Thursday.

#1679 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

'"Wait. I can catch Covid twice?" my 50-year-old patient asked in disbelief. It was the beginning of July, and he had just tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, for a second time — three months after a previous infection.

While there's still much we don't understand about immunity to this new illness, a small but growing number of cases like his suggest the answer is "yes."

Covid-19 may also be much worse the second time around. During his first infection, my patient experienced a mild cough and sore throat. His second infection, in contrast, was marked by a high fever, shortness of breath, and hypoxia, resulting in multiple trips to the hospital.

Recent reports and conversations with physician colleagues suggest my patient is not alone. Two patients in New Jersey, for instance, appear to have contracted Covid-19 a second time almost two months after fully recovering from their first infection.

It is possible, but unlikely, that my patient had a single infection that lasted three months. Some Covid-19 patients (now dubbed "long haulers") do appear to suffer persistent infections and symptoms.

My patient, however, cleared his infection — he had two negative PCR tests after his first infection — and felt healthy for nearly six weeks.'

https://www.vox.com/...cLTB6GFuFt79hq4

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

#1680 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:00 AM

'The Florida Department of Health has reported another record-breaking number of COVID-19 cases over the last 24 hours, logging 15,300 new positive cases in the state. [...] The shocking figure is the highest single-day increase and shatters the previous record of 11,458 new cases set on July 3. The spike in cases comes on the same weekend that Disney World opened to tourists.'

And it's not like tourists... travel?...

https://www.thedaily...-hours?ref=home

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users