Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1721 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:01 PM

View PostCause, on 16 July 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

I don't mind the plexiglass by itself but it still looks very strange having all these barriers up even after a few months since they went up. It's just starting to lead to some testy moments since the mask order is required the past 2 days. I've been rather interested watching people both leaning in raising each other's mask muffled voices to be heard. It's halftime simply to be understood and half pure attitude. I'm waiting to be a witness to seeing people being booted out of a store I'm at. It's gonna happen.

My daily experience as a 90-95% deaf person *prior to the pandemic and mask wearing* is similar to what everyone is now experiencing with the masks. Have to ask people to repeat things, losing comprehension, more difficult to accomplish things - that's my life.

I get why it's upsetting to people who don't live that way, but... the masks have to go on and stay on. The people who aren't wearing them are generally prolonging this.

Interacting with people def harder. I keep thinking that this must be what it's like to wear a burka. It's not just hiding their faces. It's limiting their ability to interact.

It's almost as bad as texting!

The idea that people could interact without clearly visible facial expressions is obviously crazy. What will they think of next, books without video?...

Besides, masks don't cover the eyes; see my previous post about the expressiveness of the eyes. (A burqa, unlike a niqab, does cover the eyes in a mesh.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

#1722 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:46 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 16 July 2020 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 16 July 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

I don't mind the plexiglass by itself but it still looks very strange having all these barriers up even after a few months since they went up. It's just starting to lead to some testy moments since the mask order is required the past 2 days. I've been rather interested watching people both leaning in raising each other's mask muffled voices to be heard. It's halftime simply to be understood and half pure attitude. I'm waiting to be a witness to seeing people being booted out of a store I'm at. It's gonna happen.

My daily experience as a 90-95% deaf person *prior to the pandemic and mask wearing* is similar to what everyone is now experiencing with the masks. Have to ask people to repeat things, losing comprehension, more difficult to accomplish things - that's my life.

I get why it's upsetting to people who don't live that way, but... the masks have to go on and stay on. The people who aren't wearing them are generally prolonging this.

Interacting with people def harder. I keep thinking that this must be what it's like to wear a burka. It's not just hiding their faces. It's limiting their ability to interact.

It's almost as bad as texting!

The idea that people could interact without clearly visible facial expressions is obviously crazy. What will they think of next, books without video?...

Besides, masks don't cover the eyes; see my previous post about the expressiveness of the eyes. (A burqa, unlike a niqab, does cover the eyes in a mesh.)

Just to be clear I was not saying I have it as bad as them, its just a thought that pops into my head when I realise how hard just the mask makes communicating. It makes things like a simple 'have a good day' to a cashier a chore. Whenever that happens to me I realise how effective a tool of control a burka really is.

#1723 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:26 PM

Thumbs up or an aok circle.

Shit this stuff ain't hard.

Crow crinkles at the eyes is a smile

#1724 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:46 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 July 2020 - 10:26 PM, said:

an aok circle.

And then your life is ruined because people think you're a white supremacist.

#1725 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

Eh?

This is a WS symbol?

Huh, the more you know. Stick with the thumbs up then

#1726 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:24 PM

View PostMacros, on 17 July 2020 - 01:12 PM, said:

Stick with the thumbs up then

Thumbs up for good, and two fingers up for "jog on"!

Easy peasy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1727 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

Attached File  tenor (1).gif (1.18MB)
Number of downloads: 0

#1728 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:04 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 16 July 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 16 July 2020 - 10:26 PM, said:

Shit this stuff ain't hard.

Crow crinkles at the eyes is a smile

It can be with social distancing.

Get a pair of glasses if you can't see that far?

Seriously, I realize it's taxing for a lot of people. I may not really 'get' it, but on an intellectual level I understand and respect that people have different lives and needs. But the fact that so many Americans staunchly refuse to even try to deal with it and find ways around the need to interact in order to stop a fucking pandemic partly because "muh, can't see people's smiles, how are we to interact?!!11" is mind-bogglingly, borderline insane. Do you guys think the rest of the world is all loners or what? No, people sucked it up (for the most part, anyway *sigh*) and dealt with social distancing and masks for a time so now we are reopening again without a major new virus wave (and that's despite having a lot of our own homegrown idiots around).

If you've got such trouble dealing with it, you need to work on your mindset because otherwise you'll keep getting more and more miserable by the day. This thing isn't going to go away any time soon, especially if the US keeps chugging on like this, so get used to the idea of the long haul. The right mindset about these things makes it - masks and all - so much easier to bear.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1729 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

And for some good vibes, here's a picture of Merkel teaching the prime minister of Bulgaria how to wear a mask properly:

Posted Image

Not gonna lie, Not-giving-a-fuck-because-she-doesn't-want-to-be-reelected-Merkel may be my favourite Merkel and I've always been for her.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1730 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 17 July 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have seen a total of 7 humans without mask since Monday. 2 white women one of which I smiled at behind my mask, 1 white man, 1 black woman, 3 black males one which was with the white male and that black male did a “can I have your attention please” thing in the middle of the store asking all us random strangers if we knew anyone with or had died from Corona. It was very strange.

All these people were in the same store in a 7 min window. Haven’t seen a mask less face since inside a store.

Why are they "black women" and "black males"? Instead of "black men"? 🤔😷

#1731 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

One of the knock-on effects of the pandemic is that for the first time all five major professional sports teams in Colorado (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB & MLS) could see play in the month August. The NFL needs to get its shit together though if it is going to happen. J.J. Watt (DE for Houston Texans) has some concerns > see tweet he sent out here, posted in the NFL discussion thread: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1411075

#1732 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:39 PM

White house blocking cdc from testifying about school reopening in front of congress! Could they be any more transparent.

#1733 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

I have been really having fun with the mask wearing walking dead. The eyes are so much more important now, and its easier to read people. Like you can legit tell so much easier if someone has an airy, happy, positive energy and if someone is miserable and depressed and just a dark cloud, fun destroying train wreck.

I will say that the mask masses seem to have all gotten their masks with the chloroform option, because, and I don't know if it's just me observing this but, people move waaaaaay slower, like "dragging ass" slow.

[EDIT] Oh, I walked by a fella who has that condition where his body doesn't grow hair (even eyebrows). That was freaky-deaky to experience with him wearing a mask.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 18 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

#1734 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 July 2020 - 05:16 PM, said:

I have been really having fun with the mask wearing walking dead. The eyes are so much more important now, and its easier to read people. Like you can legit tell so much easier if someone has an airy, happy, positive energy and if someone is miserable and depressed and just a dark cloud, fun destroying train wreck.

I will say that the mask masses seem to have all gotten their masks with the chloroform option, because, and I don't know if it's just me observing this but, people move waaaaaay slower, like "dragging ass" slow.

[EDIT] Oh, I walked by a fella who has that condition where his body doesn't grow hair (even eyebrows). That was freaky-deaky to experience with him wearing a mask.

I walk everywhere with sunglasses on.

I am a Faceless Man
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1735 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 18 July 2020 - 07:05 PM, said:

I can’t wear my glasses with current mask. It does something really cray cray to my left ear and my glasses then won’t sit right and slip off really easy.

There are masks that tie up on the back of your head. Sounds like it's really worth it for you.

Here's a search that pops up lots of options: https://www.google.c...biw=412&bih=724
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1736 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

Yeah,BK, buy a better mask. It's worth it if you're so uncomfortable. You wouldn't wear underwear that pulled on your dangly bits, so why wear a mask that does?

#1737 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:59 PM

I've been out for lunch twice this weekend. Hermit life may be over. Pub gardens on both occasions. They both had what seemed like sensible measures in place and were not particularly busy so it felt fine. Being handed drinks, plates and cutlery really does assume that the person handing it to you has clean hands. I think if the place was crawling with covid then I probably caught it but the local infection rates are low so it feels ok for now. I'm getting it while I can because I don't think I'll be doing it when we have to sit indoors with the windows closed after walking in the rain which is how the majority of pub lunches go in this darned country.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1738 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:40 PM

Over the weekend out and about, sitting at a stop light, an oldster in an R.V. pulls up next to me with his windows rolled down and as he is stopping (on my passenger side thankfully) he lets loose with the most ear shattering, sinus rattling sneeze. I look over (he's not wearing a face mask), and he pulls out a snot-rag (old guy personal handkerchief thing) and he lays into that snot-rag with a nose blow that sounded like a clown horn. I promptly rolled up my windows and just shook my head in disgust. Light turns green and traffic gets moving. He gets ahead of me and surprises of all surprises, there in all of its hateful, racist glory, is a "Trump 2020" sticker on the back of his R.V. Oh deary me.

Also, to my American fam. Do any you folks notice there seems to be an inordinate amount of out of state license plates? Damn, I've been seeing so many... Virginia, California, Montana, New Mexico, Kansas, Florida. Seems like this is the summer for the Chevy Chase style Vacation road trip.

#1739 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:44 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 July 2020 - 04:40 PM, said:

Over the weekend out and about, sitting at a stop light, an oldster in an R.V. pulls up next to me with his windows rolled down and as he is stopping (on my passenger side thankfully) he lets loose with the most ear shattering, sinus rattling sneeze. I look over (he's not wearing a face mask), and he pulls out a snot-rag (old guy personal handkerchief thing) and he lays into that snot-rag with a nose blow that sounded like a clown horn. I promptly rolled up my windows and just shook my head in disgust. Light turns green and traffic gets moving. He gets ahead of me and surprises of all surprises, there in all of its hateful, racist glory, is a "Trump 2020" sticker on the back of his R.V. Oh deary me.

Also, to my American fam. Do any you folks notice there seems to be an inordinate amount of out of state license plates? Damn, I've been seeing so many... Virginia, California, Montana, New Mexico, Kansas, Florida. Seems like this is the summer for the Chevy Chase style Vacation road trip.

The antifa crisis actors have to get in position for the next big event /s.

#1740 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

When the Corona crisis started Denmark couldn't get enough hand sanitizer, so the Danish spirit manufacturers offered to mass produce bottles with alcohol for hand sanitation.

Well, months go by and because people have nothing better to do, somebody complained that these liquor bottles weren't labled well enough, which could lead to stupid people drinking ethanol. So, they've replaced our shipments of liquor bottles with... Fucking plastic drinking bottles. With no better signage than before. And a god damn drinking cap to boot! :doh:

Spoilered for size

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users