Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1701 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

View PostGorefest, on 15 July 2020 - 07:14 PM, said:

You shouldnt have to wear a mask outdoors, it doesn't do anything really. As long as you keep your distance from others who arent in your household. It is indoors where a mask can make a difference.

Strong winds can easily make it a concern.

In urban areas, or on narrow sidewalks (or small parking lots, etc.), maintaining distance between yourself and others outdoors is not always practical (and is often effectively impossible).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

#1702 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

#1703 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:59 PM

I think it is important we don't start to look at masks as some kind of panacea. They probably reduce transmission rates from infected people. Isn't that it? One thing that I was aware of today wearing mine was that once I put it on, I didn't want to take it off until I was completely done with shopping because it would mean touching the mask and then being back at my face later putting it back on. If I have the virus, I'll be getting my hands covered in virus particles every time they are messing with my mask. Then I'll be touching stuff in shops. They can definitely give a false sense of security. I'm wearing one out of respect for other people. It's a small degradation in the grand scheme of things but I'm not entirely convinced by them. I'd still rather help by just staying at home since my job and lifestyle mostly allow it.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 15 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1704 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:47 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 08:26 PM, said:

I’m so sick of these fucking mask and plexiglass. Everyone raising their muffled ass fucking voices to communicate already pissed off at the this heat dome scorching down on us and having your own hot ass air trapped in your face is a right misery to deal with.

Don't go anywhere unless absolutely necessary. Boom, problem solved. Iirc you don't work, unlike other people who have to wear a mask all day, so be glad you don't have to. You're a big boy and surely can go a couple months without truck sex.

For what it's worth, I have asthma and I almost hyperventilated in my mask yesterday because I had to run the entire length of the train station to catch my train (because I do have to work again) and I still wear a mask in public. So if I can do it with my compromised lungs, you can as well with your healthy ones.

P.S. Real smiles can be seen in one's eyes. I've yet to be in a single situation where I couldn't tell if someone was smiling or not with a mask on and they've been mandatory here since April. MInd you, some people have very pretty eyes, well worth looking into.

This post has been edited by Puck: 15 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#1705 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:47 PM

I’m so sick of these fucking mask and plexiglass.

I don't see any reason why the plexiglass can't stay. It provides a decent barrier to retail workers from the ill, the belligerent, and other stuff.

Our transit buses have plexiglass barriers between the drivers and the bus itself...the TTC union decided that people were sick of being coughed on and spit on by assholes of the public...so they've only been a good addition.

I feel the same should be true of retail experiences. They don't impede you at all, so I'm not sure why they bother you?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1706 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 15 July 2020 - 07:59 PM, said:

I think it is important we don't start to look at masks as some kind of panacea. They probably reduce transmission rates from infected people. Isn't that it? One thing that I was aware of today wearing mine was that once I put it on, I didn't want to take it off until I was completely done with shopping because it would mean touching the mask and then being back at my face later putting it back on. If I have the virus, I'll be getting my hands covered in virus particles every time they are messing with my mask. Then I'll be touching stuff in shops. They can definitely give a false sense of security. I'm wearing one out of respect for other people. It's a small degradation in the grand scheme of things but I'm not entirely convinced by them. I'd still rather help by just staying at home since my job and lifestyle mostly allow it.

There's a small reduction in likelihood of getting it while wearing a mask, but yes, the reduction of transmission is the big thing.

It's not a panacea, but it is big enough of a benefit that for example, the mask wearing population of Vietnam has 380 ish confirmed cases for the entire country of 97 million.

Wearing a mask indoors or when close proximity with people is a thing is just about the best thing one can do while being out. Staying home is better, but we can't all do that and can't do it all the time.

Even if it's frustrating, as 20 Days of Sheep vents above, the masks are working in tandem with staying home in a way that lets countries open back up (while mask wearing).

I need to pick up more gloves. Can't pick the right avocado without touching a few.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1707 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

I'm so sick of these fucking mask and plexiglass. Everyone raising their muffled ass fucking voices to communicate already pissed off at the this heat dome scorching down on us and having your own hot ass air trapped in your face is a right misery to deal with.

And I caught myself smiling at a gal whose glorious face I could actually see cause no hot ass mask blocking it and then when she didn't acknowledge me I realized it's likely because like everyone else in there I was faceless and then I got angry at this piece of shit hot ass air catcher that was latched onto my face.

Fuck these things. Go away.

Let me shake a motherfuckers hand I ain't seen in awhile when I see them to.

If (as your previous moniker implied) you don't want to be 'a sheep', then beware of uncritically allowing your emotional reactions to make you enduringly miserable. Unless your discomfort indicates a reasonable chance of medical issues from heat exhaustion (which it almost certainly does not), you can ameliorate your suffering by learning to dissociate from your discomfort and critically examine its logical and empirical basis. There is strong evidence that brief exposure to high levels of heat generally has positive effects on health. I used to find hot cars unbearably uncomfortable, but after doing a bit of research, I learned to reframe the experience and actually enjoy sitting in a (dry) sauna-like hot car for my health (provided there's no risk of passing out, etc.).

(OTOH sweating inside masks can be a significant issue, particularly if bacteria build up.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

#1708 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

Louisiana doesn't have dry heat. I get that it's sometimes uncomfortable. Denying that is just going to make people suspicious.

Masks are like condoms and other forms of birth control. There's a real utility to doing that specific practice and we gotta get to a point where enough people are doing that specific thing that things change.

Also... it may be that there are reasons why a woman wouldn't smile at a look given her by a man that don't include masks. Just food for thought.

#1709 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

I would say it a bit shorter than that.

Fucking suck it up sunshine, if everyone wore their masks and wasn't a dick for a month or two this thing would be knocked the fuck out.

Are they uncomfortable? Sure some are
Are they really uncomfortable enough to have to bitch about everyday? Nope, watching someone lie in a coma in a ventilator, now that would be uncomfortable

#1710 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:24 PM

This seems like a potential solution to the bacteria-on-sweat-inside-the-mask issue, assuming it's not bullshit:

'Unlike conventional reusable face masks, UVMask is the first with an ultra-high intensity UV-C LEDs to protect you and others around you.

Its patent-pending Sterile-Vortex technology concentrates the UV-C light's full power on the air you breathe, [...] it filters and purifies 99.99% of air 10x faster than you can breathe.

[...] UVMask has been independently tested and certified by the FDA-approved and ISO 17025 accredited SGS Labs.

The UV-C active protection has been tested against E. coli and Staphylococcus to have an average efficacy rate of 99.93%.'

https://www.kickstar...2qJFKlFeYSjhC2A

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 July 2020 - 11:25 PM

#1711 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:28 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 15 July 2020 - 11:24 PM, said:

This seems like a potential solution to the bacteria-on-sweat-inside-the-mask issue, assuming it's not bullshit:

'Unlike conventional reusable face masks, UVMask is the first with an ultra-high intensity UV-C LEDs to protect you and others around you.

Its patent-pending Sterile-Vortex technology concentrates the UV-C light's full power on the air you breathe, [...] it filters and purifies 99.99% of air 10x faster than you can breathe.

[...] UVMask has been independently tested and certified by the FDA-approved and ISO 17025 accredited SGS Labs.

The UV-C active protection has been tested against E. coli and Staphylococcus to have an average efficacy rate of 99.93%.'

There are two other commonplace options:
1) buy washable cloth masks that allow air filters to be inserted for higher risk situations
2) buy disposable masks

Most people don't really need to do this bacteria killing Kickstarter stuff.

#1712 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:31 PM

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

I don’t mind the plexiglass by itself but it still looks very strange having all these barriers up even after a few months since they went up. It’s just starting to lead to some testy moments since the mask order is required the past 2 days. I’ve been rather interested watching people both leaning in raising each other’s mask muffled voices to be heard. It’s halftime simply to be understood and half pure attitude. I’m waiting to be a witness to seeing people being booted out of a store I’m at. It’s gonna happen.

My daily experience as a 90-95% deaf person *prior to the pandemic and mask wearing* is similar to what everyone is now experiencing with the masks. Have to ask people to repeat things, losing comprehension, more difficult to accomplish things - that's my life.

I get why it's upsetting to people who don't live that way, but... the masks have to go on and stay on. The people who aren't wearing them are generally prolonging this.

#1713 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:44 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2020 - 11:28 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 15 July 2020 - 11:24 PM, said:

There are two other commonplace options:
1) buy washable cloth masks that allow air filters to be inserted for higher risk situations
2) buy disposable masks

Most people don't really need to do this bacteria killing Kickstarter stuff.

Reusable elastomeric masks can also be washed.

Not sure to what extent the health risks from harmful bacteria may apply to a single prolonged period of use (for example, going on a long walk in extreme heat and humidity, etc.), but I'd guess they can be significant under conditions that aren't extremely rare?...

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 July 2020 - 11:45 PM

#1714 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:50 PM

'We investigated the difference in bacterial counts between the SMs worn by surgeons and those placed unused in the operating room (OR), and the bacterial count variation with indicated wearing time. Moreover, the difference in bacterial counts on the external surface between the first and second layers of double-layered SMs was also assessed.

Results
The bacterial count on the surface of SMs increased with extended operating times; significant difference was found between the 4- to 6-hour and 0-hour groups (p < 0.05). When we analysed the bacterial counts from the same surgeon, a significant increase was noted in the 2-hours group. Moreover, the bacterial counts were significantly higher among the surgeons than the OR. Additionally, the bacterial count of the external surface of the second mask was significantly higher than that of the first one.'

Granted, this doesn't say whether the surgeons were at any significant risk from the buildup.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6037910/

Simplest solution might be to carry a spare mask or two if you have to be outside for hours in the heat. Good practice anyway, just in case someone coughs or sneezes (or spits) on it.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 July 2020 - 12:02 AM

#1715 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:06 AM

Lol! Walmart requiring masks. The "Karens" and "Florida Man" outbursts will be a continuous stream. The elusive perpetual engine solved if they can figure out how to harness that energy.

#1716 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:22 AM

http://www.cnn.com/v...-sot-nr-vpx.cnn

Florida GOP lawmaker's claim stuns Brianna Keilar
Newsroom

Florida Republican state lawmaker Rep. Anthony Sabatini, who has filed numerous lawsuits to prevent mask mandates in his state, tells CNN's Brianna Keilar that his state is doing just fine despite data showing Florida is a hotspot for coronavirus.

This post has been edited by Gust Hubb: 16 July 2020 - 12:23 AM

"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#1717 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

I think the problem came when we asked Americans to think of others before themselves ʅ(ツ)ʃ That's what the mask thing is when you get down to it. America is an about individuality so people don't want to think of someone else because of their own inconvenience.

A huge generalisation, granted, and of course Britain has its fair share of uneducated morons (who would definitely vote Trump if they could), but accurate methinks.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1718 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 July 2020 - 10:57 AM, said:

I think the problem came when we asked Americans to think of others before themselves ʅ(ツ)ʃ That's what the mask thing is when you get down to it. America is an about individuality so people don't want to think of someone else because of their own inconvenience.

A huge generalisation, granted, and of course Britain has its fair share of uneducated morons (who would definitely vote Trump if they could), but accurate methinks.

Yep. A country founded on "freedoms" and is so hammered in into them from a young age and so ingrained in the base level culture that they made a big official LIST of freedoms that everybody constantly refers to (without understanding).

This is where the were always headed whenever someone asked them to do something for the common good. Nothing trumps (Oi, that word is so ruined now) their personal freedom.

What REALLY blows my mind about all this is that it's almost always private businesses where people throw mask tantrums and they all claim it's illegal to deny them service for not wearing a mask or to kick them out....nope, any private business can kick you out or refuse you service if they choose to and don't need a reason. The amount of Americans who don't understand this fact is absolutely STAGGERING. Nearly ever Karen video I see, the person who claims to be the victim talks about how what the store or restaurant is doing is "illegal"...no, it's fucking not. Get out Karen, you entitled bucket of shit and learn about how laws work.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1719 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

How many bars have signs saying 'no shoes, no shirt, no service'

It's the same thing motherfuckers!

#1720 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:52 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

View Post20 Days of Sheep, on 15 July 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

I don’t mind the plexiglass by itself but it still looks very strange having all these barriers up even after a few months since they went up. It’s just starting to lead to some testy moments since the mask order is required the past 2 days. I’ve been rather interested watching people both leaning in raising each other’s mask muffled voices to be heard. It’s halftime simply to be understood and half pure attitude. I’m waiting to be a witness to seeing people being booted out of a store I’m at. It’s gonna happen.

My daily experience as a 90-95% deaf person *prior to the pandemic and mask wearing* is similar to what everyone is now experiencing with the masks. Have to ask people to repeat things, losing comprehension, more difficult to accomplish things - that's my life.

I get why it's upsetting to people who don't live that way, but... the masks have to go on and stay on. The people who aren't wearing them are generally prolonging this.

Interacting with people def harder. I keep thinking that this must be what it’s like to wear a burka. It’s not just hiding their faces. It’s limiting their ability to interact.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users