Malazan Empire: Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Amazon's new Lord of the Rings TV series New series will be a prequel set in the Second Age

#81 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

View Postworry, on 04 July 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Balrog was originally M. Bison (a play on Mike Tyson, as he's a boxer) while M. Bison was Vega, and Vega was Balrog.

*narrows eyes*

I'm only letting this joke slide because it's topical Street Fighter perfection, otherwise I'd be non-plussed.

:headbang:
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#82 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

Nerds.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#83 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Sauron was so fair he managed to beguile the Numenoreans.

He was not a lighthouse.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#84 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 July 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

Sauron was not corrupted from his original "good" form as a Maiar until after Morgoth was dead and gone, and not in the same way.

Didn't he have something to do with the 'Isle of Werewolves' (can't recall the elvish name) during the Luthien/Beren thing?

View Postworry, on 04 July 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Balrog was originally M. Bison (a play on Mike Tyson, as he's a boxer) while M. Bison was Vega, and Vega was Balrog.

Ringception *BWAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM*
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#85 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:46 PM

Damn, I just scrolled past a heading that says season 1 will be 20 episodes. Wow, that's going to be a lot to consume at an hour per episode. I hope it's not overkill.

#86 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

So a couple of casting announcements were made.

Marcella Kavenaugh, who I don't know at all, nor have they commented on who she might play. So it's hard to comment on her beyond her look, which is young blonde. So anyone really. But rumoured to be named Tyra?

Will Poulter (of Narnia fame, actually...funnily enough, and Black Mirror amongst other stuff) has most recently been cast as a "series lead"...and you know what...he looks a LOT like the Hugo Weaving...and as such he could very well be playing either young Elrond, or perhaps more probable his brother Elros, who was the first king of Numenor. Either way, he super resembles Hugo Weaving, so that feels like who he will play, one of the two sons of Earendil.

I doubt that Poulter is playing Sauron...but I'd like to see who does.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#87 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

Amazon's official plot synopsis:

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#88 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

I don't need the lies on the bottle, give me the wine!

#89 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:15 PM

View PostWerthead, on 13 January 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

Amazon's official plot synopsis:

Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

Oh yes! So we will be seeing the 2nd age bleeding into the Akallabeth?

#90 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

2nd Age is everything between The War of Powers (ie Beleriand go bye bye glug glug) and the Last Alliance where Sauron lost his ring finger - not long after Numenor went bye bye glug glug, right?

Hmmm ... will be either top notch or a hot mess. I smell fanboi froth already.

I would have actually preferred more of the early 3rd Age after Gladden Fields, with Arnor's rise and fall, Gondor, Angmar, the Dunedain etc.

Otherwise it's pretty much all Elves and Numenor and playing with each other's rings. ;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 13 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#91 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:20 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 January 2021 - 04:10 PM, said:

2nd Age is everything between The War of Powers (ie Beleriand go bye bye glug glug) and the Last Alliance where Sauron lost his ring finger - not long after Numenor went bye bye glug glug, right?

2nd age begins with the War of Wrath (end of Morgoth) and continues to the Last Alliance (like 3400 years total Im think?). And since we know that both Lindon and Numenor are part of Beleriand being gone, seeing them in the show places it at least before the War of the Powers.

#92 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Yeah War of Wrath. I was close. :p

I'm pretty sure Numenor is 2nd Age as it didn't kick off until after the War of Wrath when Elros and his peeps got taken to the island. Which I think originally in the creation age was used to ferry elves across from middle earth until the sea god ... old mate whatshisface ... caused it to stay in place mid way between middle earth and Valinor?

Isn't Lindon where the Grey Havens are?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 13 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

#93 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 January 2021 - 04:26 PM, said:

Isn't Lindon where the Grey Havens are?

Yes, sort of. Ossiriand is the region. Lindon is in that "area" and is considered to have survived the War of Wrath becuae Ossiriand did and is now the Grey Havens, but the rivers that dove in after the cataclysm and whatnot, creating the shoreline where the Grey Havens are make it iffy to place the whole city as "survived". The Gulf of Luhn makes up a significant chunk of the land now and separates north and south, so Lindon survived only in pieces is my call.

#94 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:31 PM

View PostBriar King, on 13 January 2021 - 05:44 PM, said:

I assume all that shit is from the slog that is The Sil?

Not sure if I still have that book.

It's from the last quarter of that book, yes. At the very least Numenor is (Fantasy Atlantis)...so this show could straddle the 2nd age big event (the destruction of Beleriand) and therefore be part Silmarillion and part unknown/but known 2nd Age events too.

#95 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

I absolutely adore the Akallabeth, so I'm particularly excited we're going to see Numenor.

Also I am here for getting to see the moment Celebrimbor realises it's all gone horribly wrong on screen.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#96 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 January 2021 - 07:04 PM, said:

I absolutely adore the Akallabeth, so I'm particularly excited we're going to see Numenor.

Also I am here for getting to see the moment Celebrimbor realises it's all gone horribly wrong on screen.

YES!

Also, part of me wishes we would see older events like the Noldor crossing the Helcaraxe. We MIGHT see it in a sort of flashback opening with Melkor and Ungoliant crossing after destroying the Two Trees and what followed. If they show the "War of Wrath" as what opened the 2nd age, we might see Fingolfin leading his people across. I'm picturing an opening sequence and narration like Galadriel's in FOTR...which I mean, just get Cate Blanchett to read this one too...Galadriel was present at those events.

#97 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:49 PM

NERDS!

#98 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

Every time someone says Numenor I think of aliens floating about in comas.

Damn it Ulysses!

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#99 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

And he even had a laser sword that - wait for it - was also a laser pistol!!! Even better than a lightsabre!

Mind. Blown.

On topic:

Yeah, some sort of summary of All That Came Before would be helpful to put the 2nd Age into context. Even if it's some sort of 10 minute one-character-telling-another midway through episode 1.
OMG imagine the battle scenes and the landscape! And the maps!

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

#100 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:49 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 January 2021 - 09:15 AM, said:

And he even had a laser sword that - wait for it - was also a laser pistol!!! Even better than a lightsabre!

Mind. Blown.

On topic:

Yeah, some sort of summary of All That Came Before would be helpful to put the 2nd Age into context. Even if it's some sort of 10 minute one-character-telling-another midway through episode 1.
OMG imagine the battle scenes and the landscape! And the maps!

Truly no one else could do the things he do.

I imagine that you'll have some sort of narration at the start of the series to contextualise everything. It makes sense to do it that way.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users