• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total War: Warhammer Im starting to be excited

#61 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

I agree, about the commanders at least. They are waaaay too tough. I saw a "let's play" with vampire counts where the Mannfred von Karstein and a Varghulf absolutely destroyed almost 1500 zombies. That really shouldn't be possible.

Also, the same Mannfred has a spell that can kill an enemy commander in 2-3 strikes.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 25 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#62 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Well, I had a hero back when I played tabletop warhammer that was unkillable by units with strenght below 4. So it's not unheard of.

And stuff like the Bloodthirster, Nagash and so forth were functionally immortal in combat against normal units of any variety.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#63 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

Blech, they sound almost game breaking.
At least Cirdan fled the field after taking a few hits.

#64 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 May 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

Well, I had a hero back when I played tabletop warhammer that was unkillable by units with strenght below 4. So it's not unheard of.

And stuff like the Bloodthirster, Nagash and so forth were functionally immortal in combat against normal units of any variety.

True, but that was in the earlier editions. I remember those times well when I could equip a dwarf with regular runes potent enough to wreck any opposition. I would have thought that the focus would be more on the armies instead of buffing up your hero. I have Ungrim Ironfist as my Legendary Lord and I beat down Azhag and Grimgor at the same time.
I don't mind so much, it's awesome, It's just that sometimes they render "regular" units useless. Which was exactly reason GW changed it back in the day.

Also, what's with the assault on minor cities? You don't get to fight them in the city itself, but rather right outside them. I'm not a fan of that either.

In case you guys haven't realized it yet, I already love this game! I just want it to be even better.

#65 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

Huh, yeah, I haven't played warhammer fantasy since 3rd edition, so my perspective might be a little old fashioned. Back then my high elf mages could throw mountains about.

#66 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 May 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

Huh, yeah, I haven't played warhammer fantasy since 3rd edition, so my perspective might be a little old fashioned. Back then my high elf mages could throw mountains about.

True, that was the last time I played aswell, but a friend of mine has been playing up until 8th edition. So I'm just repeating what he's been telling me. But yes, 3rd edition was all about having the best characters. And if you had Nagash or a Bloodthirster, you won!

#67 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 25 May 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

I agree, about the commanders at least. They are waaaay too tough. I saw a "let's play" with vampire counts where the Mannfred von Karstein and a Varghulf absolutely destroyed almost 1500 zombies. That really shouldn't be possible.

Also, the same Mannfred has a spell that can kill an enemy commander in 2-3 strikes.

There's also a video on how to two-shot Grimgor with two witch hunters in a way that requires very little micro management.

It might be that there is enough commander-meta to not make them OP in multiplayer. The question is if the AI can consistently use that meta to not make players steamroll AI armies in the campaign, and when/if the player can get access to the commander meta quickly and reliably enough themselves - given the fact that most victory conditions require you to wound the Chaos leader, this might be a bit of a concern.
I think the anti-commander meta is amongst the monster/hero units only, with every faction at the least having 'regular' units that double as monster killers.

What so far has been a little bit of a bother to me is how often almost destroyed units still rally. I was playing a battle where I shattered the enemy's main army, then lined up to face the reinforcing one - only to be attacked in the back by units with only 14 survivors out of 90 from the main army.

They don't do much damage and the way of dealing with them is simple (turn around a single ranged unit and snipe them a bit and they rout again), but while they engage, they're giving your own units negative morale modifiers through flanking. In other TW titles, this didn't happen, but here, a shattered unit is routed for maybe 20 seconds unless you chase them off the field entirely with cavalry (destroying them completely was impossible with Reiksguard lancer cavalry - they would charge a bunch of routing guys, spray them all over the field in the collission, but actually kill only 1 guy, then regroup and charge another and so on - I guess light cavalry will do much better since they don't rely on charge impact/ charge animations).

On the plus side, battles are pretty intense.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#68 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 25 May 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 25 May 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

True, that was the last time I played aswell, but a friend of mine has been playing up until 8th edition. So I'm just repeating what he's been telling me. But yes, 3rd edition was all about having the best characters. And if you had Nagash or a Bloodthirster, you won!

Not with the High Elves. A hero with a powerfull attack weapon together with a sizeable squad of white lions normally managed to kill even the Bloodthirster. As long as you had the right banner that is. At the time they had +2 strenght (so 6) and d3 damage.

#69 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

Like many was planning to wait till Christmas or something so no bugs and plenty dlc available.

Then i remembered it was my birthday today and folded and bought it.

Glorious.
meh. Link was dead :(

#70 User is offline   MrXIII 

• Blunt Claw
  • Interests:Vital existence

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

Fantastic game. Finished a Greenskin short campaign and have attempted several chaos campaigns, without much success.

Getting the horde to grow for decent troop buildings is tricky.

#71 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

Tempt me not demons of chaos!!!

#72 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Next race incoming in under a week:

Beastmen

:D

#73 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Is the game of the year edition not out yet???

#74 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 July 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

Is the game of the year edition not out yet???

it'd only been out a couple months

#75 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

A friend and I finished an Empire/Dwarfs coop game the other day. Aside from fighting with Auto-resolve it was actually really fun. I managed to confederate with all but one of the Dwarf factions and breaking the backs of Archaon, Sarthorael and Sigvald all the while containing the orcs in their two remaining cities.

It was fun.

#76 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:40 PM

Picked up the Beastmen DLC, destroyed Estalia and rampaging through Bretonnia, razing cities to the ground and building edifices to the dark gods.

What fun.

#77 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Bumpedy-bump!

So, with the sequel incoming, and now the Norsca race pack added, that means 12 playable races total, with the next one to be announced soon.

Of course, it's beyond an open secret what the 13th race is going to be, but the fact that the developers have taken the time to ensure that this race IS the 13th is amazing, given that the number 13 is so integral to their culture in the warhammer universe.

Can't wait to be honest, i've been waiting on this race since it was announced there was going to BE a warhammer version of total war ;)

#78 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

Skaven?

What is the expansion pack? Lizards elves skaven and dark elves?

#79 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Warhammer 2 is Lizardmen, High Elves, Dark Elves, as yet unannounced 4th race (which is either Skaven or Creative have been trolling for the last 6+ months)

#80 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Is the game of the year edition out yet, is it all depends bugged and worth buying now?

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users