• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total War: Warhammer Im starting to be excited

#81 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

I'm a bit giddy right now, and not just because I got Total War: Warhammer II for my birthday this month, but also because this map looks awesome!

Posted Image
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#82 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

skaven finally confirmed
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#83 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

It was on offer on Steam.
So

I downloaded this.
I did not in any way like this.
I deleted this.

I am disapoint

#84 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

so how good is this game?

#85 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 18 August 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

Both the best "modern day" Total War and yet way less of a classic than Medieval 2 TW.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#86 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

Not a patch on Rome TW imo, I was massively let down by this after my initial excitement of hearing it's development

#87 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

You just have to ignore it's not in a historical setting. In terms of mechanics, graphics, gameplay and development approach it's certainly the best game in the total war series so far.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#88 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

I love the warhammer world, believe me I was pumped for this because of the setting.
To set context Rome 2 was a massive let down for me too.
They tried to fix things that weren't broken, implemented some great ideas really poorly and just made a hash of fans repeated suggestions from Rome 1.

The only TW game I've enjoyed recently was Arena, it's popcorn fun

#89 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 18 August 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

I absolutely love this game! Does it have it's problems? Of course it does. There are features lacking that are just rather unforgivable. Such as no minor settlement battles, or the fact that settlement sieges are pretty much all the same. Or when you breach a piece of wall there's no rubble, just a square of free space.
There are other such problems.
Other problems include the two mini campaign DLC packs. They're expensive. I bought them, sure, because I love warhammer and I love total war. But they are expensive.

But, there are a great many cool stuff too. Such as rpg-lite elements with lords and leveling systems, magic items, banners for regiments and the like. Not to mention the fact that it's a fantasy element with magic, monsters, dragons and weird dancing orcs and cowardly goblins.
The Legendary Lord packs, The Grim and The grave plus The King and the Warlord are amazing value with the additions of new factions and the like. Not mention there's a sizable portion of FreeLC.

I love it, I absolutely love it.

Disclaimer: I'm not generally a fan of DLC. It has to be said, though, that sometimes DLC can be terrific value for money. I feel that some of the DLC for Warhammer is good value.

#90 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

I really enjoy it. This week end I fought an incredibly tense battle as Bretonnia against a Beastmen horde. Their army was far superior to mine, at least on paper. They were numerically superior, had a higher level general, with fresh troops at full capacity. The computer told me I had 0 % chance, but if I lost my veteran army that had just beaten a wood elves incursion I would in essence be out of the game. So I had to try to fight. Almost an hour later, after an immensely tense battle, I came out victorious by the skin of my teeth. All thanks to one company of Grail Knights (my only one) and a paladin that refused to surrender despite stuck in a sea of enemy beasts. They alone held up enough of the beastmen some of my other units rallied and could be turned back. A last charge with a group of skirmishing cavalry that originally had been the first to break managed to wound the Beastman lord, and the battle was over.

I quite enjoy this game.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#91 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

Playing another campaign, this time as a Night Goblin Warlord banished far from his seat of power. Again it feels like an entirely different game. All I have are goblins, which melt in a face to face confrontation with pretty much any infantry, but especially against dwarves, which are my immediate rivals. So, instead of tying up everything with hordes of cheap zombies and hitting the flanks with terror inducing monsters, or drawing the enemy into a destructive hail of wood elf arrows, or breaking the main formation with heavy brettonian cavalry before pouring in oceans of peasant spearmen in the breach, I now have to figure out something new.

The good thing about Goblins is that they're fast, they're hidden, and they use poison, and a lot of their close combat units have armour piercing. So, It's all guerrilla tactics with fast moving knife wielding goblins springing from nowhere to hit flanks and then withdrawing. Drawing individual units out of formation and into range of the rather ineffectual goblin bows. It feels so incredibly satisfying to defeat an army of the best infantry in the world with a bunch of goblins.

In addition, I can only really build the better units from my high seat. So I need to treck across most of the map, pillaging and burning as I go to get back there. I take settlements temporarily, but mostly just burn everything. Exciting my greenskins to the point they all gather in great Waaaaaghs.

#92 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

Playing the Empire on hard is, well, hard. I had to restart a few times before I realised I had to be a lot more patient, hunker down and build up for my elite troops. The basic Empire infantry crumbles against any of your early enemies; orcs, goblins, beastmen, undead. A bit higher up on the chain though and you can easily crush an 20 army of beastment without serious losses.

Now I'm to build a couple of steam tanks and crush the Vampire Counts.

#93 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

Plenty of DLC later, this game just keeps getting better. If you're wondering, they're all worth it.
They even apparently fixed turn timers in Mortal Empires this latest one (I haven't tried it myself yet). Used to be you could get a lot done around the house while waiting ;)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#94 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostGothos, on 18 December 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Plenty of DLC later, this game just keeps getting better. If you're wondering, they're all worth it.
They even apparently fixed turn timers in Mortal Empires this latest one (I haven't tried it myself yet). Used to be you could get a lot done around the house while waiting ;)

They did, they absolutely did. It's much faster now.

#95 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 18 December 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

View PostGothos, on 18 December 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

They did, they absolutely did. It's much faster now.

That sounds amazing. Although my podcast listening will suffer as a consequence.

I'm playing on a mac so I do not have access to the newest dlc yet, but I very much look forwards to playing as the new skaven LL. I love the Skaven roster, and I think the starting position will be interesting too.

#96 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 18 December 2019 - 12:47 PM

Snikch is completely overpowered because he has the ability to balkanize any faction permanently once every 100 turns. Finally a less tedious way of dealing with Dwarfs and Tyrion ;)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#97 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Dwarfs and Elves and Lizardmen are a nightmare as the Skaven, right up until you reach the elite ranged units and artillery, and then everything's just great.

#98 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 30 January 2020 - 07:58 PM

View PostGothos, on 18 December 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Snikch is completely overpowered because he has the ability to balkanize any faction permanently once every 100 turns. Finally a less tedious way of dealing with Dwarfs and Tyrion ;)

I mean, 100 turns is kind of a lot.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#99 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

I used it on the Empire in my game, whom had fed and grown fat and bloated. Chaos arrived and was destroyed every time. I crushed three of their armies in quick succession without losing much, and it didn't move their power meter at all.

I'm playing as Bretonia now, with the new LL, and that is a lot of fun. Blasting through rows upon rows of skeletons with my cavalry will never stop being entertaining.

#100 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

Bretonia? Soundz like 'umie stuff.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +