• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total War: Warhammer Im starting to be excited

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

Okay first off like every Total war game it will be a mess when first released. Bugs! Glorious Bugs! Worse despite hiding it, they did recently reveal that choas is a playable faction after all. If you commit to pre-ordering the game. That is some of the most underhanded, despicable marketing I have ever seen. They could have done that with a lot of races but Choas is one of the major factions!

That said I have long wanted a fantasy total war game. This seems to be delivering. You will have armies of spearmen fighting next to giant trolls and even flying griffon cavalry. I'm a little nervous how mages will work out but we have them too! Also interesting is that it looks like every race will have both unique army rostas (In empire I hated that every unit was almost indistinguishable from any other) as well as unique campaign abilities (Orcs need to fight or their armies destroy themselves, but if they fight enough and well enough they spontaneously grow more units). Dwarves can burrow underground and they have shown off subteranean battles. I enjoyed rome 2 and I look forward to playing this.

https://youtu.be/ZKPw86ivR7A

https://youtu.be/iK0BMkKmwB4

https://youtu.be/UTQGv3n2Puw

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

I disliked Rome 2 intensely, which is why, whilst I'm stoked for this, I'm viewing it with some trepidation too. (my dislike for rome 2 is probably rooted in my love for rome tw, and the excitment I had for rome 2, and it being such a let down)
Would much rather of had a spiritual continuation of the Grudgebringers story rather than a sprawling free for all campaign.

it looks so pretty though

#3 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 08 December 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I disliked Rome 2 intensely, which is why, whilst I'm stoked for this, I'm viewing it with some trepidation too. (my dislike for rome 2 is probably rooted in my love for rome tw, and the excitment I had for rome 2, and it being such a let down)
Would much rather of had a spiritual continuation of the Grudgebringers story rather than a sprawling free for all campaign.

it looks so pretty though

I thought it sucked too in the beginning.

But Rome 2 has actually become a lot better. Granted, it should have been awesome immediately, but I find it enjoyable now.

But I agree, I'm awaiting Total Warhammer with some apprehension. I really, really, REALLY want it to be magnificently awesome. But I'm really afraid it'll suck big time.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

It looks pretty. But i'm hesitant.
Given they're doing 3 parts release, rolling out additional races and parts of the map, i'm gonna wait until it's all done, then pick up the complete package. I'm presuming any AI bugs will be ironed out by then.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Excellent plan

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

Making Chaos Warriors a pre-order bonus // DLC - big NO from me. Fuck you SEGA.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

I have learnt that the release date for a total war product is a year after actual release date. I trust by then the bugs will be finished and this pre order nonsense will be over

#8 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

Ill likely pick it up but ages after it's released. Why buy a game on release when after a year the price will drop 40-50%+. Last year DA inquisition sold for like 60-70$ on release? It's now at 40 and on sale for 20.

As long buy the game eventually youll still get the same amount of enjoyment. So why pay more for the same experience

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 08 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:46 AM

and less bugs

#10 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

And all the important factions. I had a High Elf army back in the day and would like playing with them again.

I'm definitly not supporting a day 1 Chaos dlc. I'll wait for a game of the year edition or some such.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

Despite my misgivings about the stuff we've talked about in this thread, I probably will end up pre-ordering it regardless.

Not because it's Total War, but because it's Warhammer! I'm a sucker for Warhammer, can't help it.

There are some franchice games I just have to have and don't want to wait for, warhammer is one of these (except warhammer online, played beta and it fucking sucks donkey balls)

It'd be different if it had been another franchise.

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

I hope they pull it off. Be a perfect blending of two awesome franchises.

The only thing I want more than this is for osmeone to combine the gameplay and quality of XCOM with Warhammer 40k

#13 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

Why anyone pre-orders anything is beyond my understanding. Especially considering the track record of the Total War series.

#14 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

View PostCause, on 09 December 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

I hope they pull it off. Be a perfect blending of two awesome franchises.

The only thing I want more than this is for osmeone to combine the gameplay and quality of XCOM with Warhammer 40k

UHHHHH!!!

Yeah, either as a Deathwatch or Grey Knight kill squad or as an Inquisitorial Acolyte cell. That's be FUCKING EPIC!!

#15 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 09 December 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Why anyone pre-orders anything is beyond my understanding. Especially considering the track record of the Total War series.

S'got nothing to do with Total War. It's warhammer baby, that's what matters to me.

#16 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 09 December 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

S'got nothing to do with Total War. It's warhammer baby, that's what matters to me.

Yeah, but it's Total War: warhammer.
I badly want to play this. I do think the strategic map component will be pretty good: they've been getting better and better at that throughout time. I fear that this will be a fest of unit related toggles and actives per unit, just like Rome 2 - the Greenskin video actually shows this is present with Grimgor's axe. I wish they'd make a total war again in which units just doing their thing and the player concentrates on actually leading the battles.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Yeah focusing on the minutia leads to a lack of focus on the big picture and generally you pay for it.
I like being able to trust my unit commanders to do the some stuff, like skirmish mode, by themselves without too many mishaps (the occassional idiotic AI boxing themselves in a corner and getting slaughtered by spearmen for example)

Rome 2 must have really improved over the version I played, I really didn't like that campaign map on it at all.
And from what I saw there looks like total warhammer (see what I did there) has gone down a similar route

#18 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

I just don't understand that level of fanboyism I guess. And that's saying something considering how long I've been an active member of a forum dedicated to a fantasy author.

#19 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 10 December 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

I just don't understand that level of fanboyism I guess. And that's saying something considering how long I've been an active member of a forum dedicated to a fantasy author.

It's not a level of fanboyism I usually indulge in either. I mean, I LOVE Malazan, but I have yet to read some of ICE's books, don't even have all of them yet.

But Warhammer is different for me. It's pretty much responsible for my introduction into the world of fantasy. Does this mean that I read everything warhammer? HELL NO! Some of those books are outright horrible.

But what can I say? I just like warhammer.

#20 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 10 December 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 10 December 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

It's not a level of fanboyism I usually indulge in either. I mean, I LOVE Malazan, but I have yet to read some of ICE's books, don't even have all of them yet.

But Warhammer is different for me. It's pretty much responsible for my introduction into the world of fantasy. Does this mean that I read everything warhammer? HELL NO! Some of those books are outright horrible.

But what can I say? I just like warhammer.

Warhammer was my introduction too. It led me on to Tolkien, Eddings and the rest is history. I had a massive High Elf Army (since donated except for some choice pieces to my little brother) and dedicated an unreasonable amount of time to painting the lot.

And I am very excited about being able to play a warhammer game again, that might even be good. But I'm not going to pay for something that very well might turn out to be terrible, and I certainly do not wish to support the sort of business practices shown by the Total War people. A day 1 Chaos DLC? Fuck that. I'm not supporting those people.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users