Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#521 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

View PostD, on 16 February 2021 - 07:20 PM, said:

I imagine it was something along the lines of...

"Hey let's bring Quicksilver back!"
"Sure! Y'know, people really like Evan Peters and those slow-mo scenes from the X-Men movies, can we do something like that?"
"Even better, let's do EXACTLY that again. The fans will love it and we can milk it for tons of Youtuber 'ermagerd reaction videos' extra publicity hype."
"Sweet! But how're we going to integrate that storywise? Wanda was a little American 8-year-old in DotF."
"We have a whole mutliverse now. We'll just bring in Evan Peters and the character will be exactly like he was in the X-Men movies, but when anyone asks about his background we say he still had the Sokovian background with whatever the screenplay writers want. We'll just say he's from an X-Men dimension where all the cool stuff from the movies happened but not the rest."
"Oh good, and then we can ditch the stupid accent, too!"
"Kevin, is all that okay with you?"
"Sure. It's not like we can bring back Hugh Jackman for the 8 different movies Wolverine is going to be in, anyway. Had to happen eventually, might as well kickstart it with an X-Men character/actor everyone liked and who's happy to reprise the role."

No offence, but this conversation would not occur in the MCU under Fiege.

You don't do something like this "just because" and especially not "just for some fans in the audience"...it has to make narrative sense, otherwise it's pointless fan service. So far, there has been nothing like that in the show.

It also serves the "multiverse arc" perfectly as the opening point between the multiverse...it's as organic as that "breaking into alternate universes" moment could be. Serendipitous you might say, that Wanda is missing her own brother (killed in AoU), and here he is from the VERY universe the Disney Corp just happened to purchase with the Fox slate.

Also:

View PostD, on 16 February 2021 - 07:20 PM, said:

"Sweet! But how're we going to integrate that storywise? Wanda was a little American 8-year-old in DotF."

View PostCause, on 16 February 2021 - 07:38 PM, said:

So Wanda was in the X-men movies? As an 8 year old? I have no memory of her. Also that would mean clearly not twins

Nope. The little girl in DOFP is not Wanda, it's his LITTLE half-sister (sometimes know as Miss Maximoff in Marvel). Wanda and Peter are twins. AKA the same age. And in the scene in that film he tells her to go upstairs and bother her sister....the upstairs sister is Wanda. We never meet her.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#522 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:47 AM

Oh, ok, sorry, I didn't realize that my not knowing the inner workings of MCU executive producers, mis-identifying one background character for another functionally identical one, and not having been up to date on all the latest leaks from Thailand precluded me from having an opinion or being part of the discussion here. Thank you for putting me in my place by nitpicking my minor details rather than actually addressing my core argument. Congratulations on winning the thread, I'll go find somewhere that us plebes are allowed to converse.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#523 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:04 AM

Going to watch Spider-Man: Far From Home tonight. I hope it is as good as Spider-Man: Homecoming. The setting is London, yeah? Without any spoilers, are there any neat twists that will make my head a'splode?

#524 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 February 2021 - 03:28 AM

It’s the better spider man movie by far! Loved it

#525 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:08 AM

View PostD, on 17 February 2021 - 01:47 AM, said:

Oh, ok, sorry, I didn't realize that my not knowing the inner workings of MCU executive producers, mis-identifying one background character for another functionally identical one, and not having been up to date on all the latest leaks from Thailand precluded me from having an opinion or being part of the discussion here. Thank you for putting me in my place by nitpicking my minor details rather than actually addressing my core argument. Congratulations on winning the thread, I'll go find somewhere that us plebes are allowed to converse.

Nitpicking? I was just trying to debate the points with you. I made some statements, you challenged them and I rebutted in turn. I’m sorry to have upset you. It’s all speculation, and I could be dead wrong on some of it. I’ll eat crow if that’s the case. I’m not sure how I didn’t address your core argument though, could you direct me to what part of it I didn’t address?

And as fas as what I know, I follow the marvel studios spoilers subreddit where this stuff comes out. Coupled with what Fiege says (like in his 10-minute Phase 4 announcement video where he speaks on the importance of the tv shows to the movies and talks about the links between them; this is where he also mentioned that WV was part of the multiverse arc), and from watching the MCU and realizing that most narrative decisions are not made for no reason, they all have one. Like Loki stealing the tesseract in EG is a great joke...but it’s also the lead-in to the LOKI tv show. They knew that when it was written in. Same goes for even tinier bits of narrative like Ant-Man being at the time travel machine site in ENDGAME when people return from travel, he's in the background of the shot with a plate of orange slices...which is a reference to his "ask" of anyone having any orange slices when he was exhausted in ANT-MAN. It's all for some reason is all. So I’m just saying that there’s no real narrative reason to use Evan Peters QS if he's not the X-Men universe one and with the MCU track record of why they do stuff, it’s going to have a reason. It would be really strange to use him just because we recognize him in the audience.

Again, sorry for upsetting you. I just thought we were just debating the points and I tend to get overzealous with the quote tags.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#526 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

Teyonah Parris (Monica) said "When I, well ... I can't wait to see what y'all's reaction is when you learn with the aerospace engineer is,""Everything about this show excites me," she explained. "There are so many little surprises, things you don't expect. So in keeping with the theme the show has already set up, I'm always excited."

Yeah, I can't image this is anyone but Reed Richards. Anyone have any other MCU-based characters who could excite her like this?

Also, I know we've all been talking about John Krasinski as Reed...an idea I support and love and even hope for....but I'm also hearing whispers that Reed might get played by John David Washington which I would also 100% be on board for.

At any rate, I think Reed is the forgone conclusion at this point, but I'm willing to be wrong.

#527 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

Spider-Man: Far From Home.

What a popcorn muncher of a movie. Fun. But not having seen any of the Thanos Avengers movies (are they called Avengers: From Here to Infinity & Avengers: Game Over Man?) I know I've spoilered those by watching S-M:FFH.

Spoiler

Spoiler frustrations aside, quite an enjoyable movie. I'm happy they developed the MJ character more and have her broadening out as more then just a woke, goth, sad sack of a smart ass one line interjection plot device.

I saw the ruse though from Mysterio's first scene. Still enjoyed how it played out. Although I have some problems with how that was pulled off, especially seeing how some of it was happening as a reaction and so it sort of defies logic in how it could be put into action without prior planning.

This Spider-Man installment really drives home the "with great power comes great responsibility" theme. Aw, Peter just wants to have his Eat Pray Love / European Vacation romance with MJ.

Also, gosh darnit!
Spoiler

Also: Peter-tingle. heh, who thought of that? cheeky little sausages.

Spider-Man: Far From Home was better than the previous movie, but not by a large margin or anything, they are pretty much on par with each other. Fun movie. I shoot two sticky bursts from my web shooters in appreciation.

Damn, now I want to watch that animated one, is it called Into the Spider Vortex or something? And I really want to play the video games that came out recently now.

#528 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:23 PM

Into the spider verse is an amazing movie. Put me in such a good mood when I watched it.

#529 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:32 AM

I'm not huge on Krasinski for that role, but Washington would be good as would William Jackson Harper. I've seen dark horse suggestions (none actually serious in terms of likelihood, mind you) of Glenn Howerton, who'd also be great in my opinion and it would be way outside his usual archetype.

Re: Spider-Man, yah in full agreement both Home movies are basically on par with each other, which is great cuz they're both really entertaining. And Spider-verse manages to outdo both of them, taking nothing away, it's just that good.

I played the PS4 Spider-Man game over the summer and it was also really good. If you like the more open-world/less Metroidvania feel of the latter couple Arkham games, but want something funnier and sunnier (yet still high-stakes and action packed), it'll hit the spot real nice.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#530 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:08 AM

Wandavision ...

Okay.

#531 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:36 AM

That was a weak AF episode of WV.

Spoiler

#532 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:28 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

Spoiler

As someone with less knowledge about marvel, both those things were a surprise to me.

The new theme tune was catchy!

#533 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

I liked the episode, even if it probably won't go down as a favorite.

I kinda knew the reveals just from reading people's comics knowledge, here and elsewhere, but I still dug a lot of the character work from Olsen and Bettany.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#534 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:51 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 20 February 2021 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

Spoiler

As someone with less knowledge about marvel, both those things were a surprise to me.

The new theme tune was catchy!

Same. The AH reveal was quite surprising!

#535 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:01 PM

No knowledge of the character from comics so while I could pick up there were hints something unique was going on with her I had no idea who she was.

Still I think there is even more to be revealed.

#536 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:20 PM

Just want to make sure everyone was aware that this past episode had a post-credits scene.

Here it is, in case anyone missed it.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 February 2021 - 03:21 PM

#537 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:58 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 February 2021 - 05:58 AM, said:

This show is the shit!

Hey BK! Welcome back. How goes the house rebuild?

#538 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME is the official title of Spidey-3.

Ties right into the Multiverse we know is play in the film. Cool!

#539 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:16 AM

You guys hip to that Spider-Woman news? I guess the vibe was great on that Chaos Walking movie, so want to keep it going?

Not sure if she fits my picture of the character when I close my eyes and envision the role.

#540 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:07 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 February 2021 - 03:16 AM, said:

You guys hip to that Spider-Woman news? I guess the vibe was great on that Chaos Walking movie, so want to keep it going?

Not sure if she fits my picture of the character when I close my eyes and envision the role.

Huh?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users