• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dark Tower movie, TV,

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

I only just read The Gunslinger, but Javier Bardem is one of my FAVE actors and he is significantly badass. Perfect.

Oh, and I LIKE Ron Howards movies. Say what you will about The DaVinci Code, but Angels & Demons was amazing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   ReAVeR_ZA 

• Conquest
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Pretty much anything geek related

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Javier Bardiem could be an awesome Roland. He has the necessary grit and likeability for the role, but can also show a mean streak when needed.

#23 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Javier Bardem yes for Roland but Ed 'eyes suit Rolands description pefectly' Harris would be good and we know hes a solid actor.

The guy who plays randal flagg from a few posts back is the man in the White suit in the untouchables isnt he? Also good choce

#24 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 April 2011 - 01:42 AM, said:

Ive never pictured Roland as Eastwood like most people.

Including Stephen King himself. Well at least until he decided to retcon it in book 6 and say that Roland looks like him.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Looks like Idris Elba has been cast as Roland!

Which is amazing casting. He's one of my fave actors.

And producer Akiva Goldsman has some choice words for those that don't like that choice.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 January 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Looks like Idris Elba has been cast as Roland!

Which is amazing casting. He's one of my fave actors.

And producer Akiva Goldsman has some choice words for those that don't like that choice.

The racist assholes should go fuck themselves.

ok for this I'll forgive him for JONAH HEX and even HANCOCK.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

Basically they can cast Elba in literally anything and I will watch it. Full stop. He's HIGH on my list of fave actors of all time.

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:00 PM

Sorry, QT, but he just got cast as the house in the film adaptation of Hell House.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:30 AM

It's true, the track record is like 80/20 towards bad, but the good ones are really good.

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, the wildcard tends to be that the really good aren't horror or even genre... SHAWSHANK, STAND BY ME... These were King venturing into simpler fiction, and then talented scriptwriters taking what he did and knocking it out of the park. Unlike say, NIGHT SHIFT. of course, there was THE MIST that surprised everyone by not being shite, ending controversy aside.
But TDT....there's a tonne of potential there, it could really go either way.

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

Yeah. I agree, winks and nods would be pretty neat.

Re: IT, I think its major problem was simply that it was a network production in 1990. It was well cast, well acted, and had some pretty creepy effects. It had numerous limitations, but I don't think a better version could have been made under those circumstances. If the remake ever happens, we'll see if it can be pulled off.

Spoiler

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Didn't they leave all the DT references in the HEARTS IN ATLANTIS film? I could swear they did. Crimson King, Low Men in Yellow Coats ect.

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:19 PM

The thing is, so much of the massive concordance is thin or altogether doesn't work.I'm all for the odd Easter egg nod to the book fans, but no one really needs any reference to, say, INSOMNIA, in a TDT tv series.

They can find a better way to deal w the Crimson King. One that doesn't suck.

#34 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

Yo!

Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:02 PM

Holy crap. I don't have high hopes for the series unless they drastically alter the last 3-4 book events and chuck out most of the excruciatingly painful self-referencing. But dear gods that shot is golden. Idris Elba rules supreme.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 16 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#36 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:50 PM

None of the shots I saw (which are all pretty much one series of him walking to a set) show a hat, but he looks like the friggin man to me. So awesome.

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

I don't think you GET more badass and manly than Idris Elba dressed as the gunslinger. This is going to be EPIC.

#38 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

Just a question, I read the first book, was not my cup of tea but was Roland always black? I just find it odd that I dont remeber that detail at all? Did I pull what all those fans of the hunger games did?

#39 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

View PostCause, on 17 May 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Just a question, I read the first book, was not my cup of tea but was Roland always black? I just find it odd that I dont remeber that detail at all? Did I pull what all those fans of the hunger games did?

Nope, don't think it is ever really specified. And even if it would spell out in the books that he was white, who cares? It's not as if Roland's skin colour is relevant to the plot. They just got the most bad ass looking guy for the job, and you don't get them much more bad ass than Idris Elba.

[edit]Actually, thinking on it, there may have been an issue when Odetta first met Roland and Eddie regarding trust issues and him being white, when he first picked her up. Isn't she hindering Roland and Eddie's activities because she hates white blokes?

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 17 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostGorefest, on 17 May 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 17 May 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Nope, don't think it is ever really specified. And even if it would spell out in the books that he was white, who cares? It's not as if Roland's skin colour is relevant to the plot. They just got the most bad ass looking guy for the job, and you don't get them much more bad ass than Idris Elba.

[edit]Actually, thinking on it, there may have been an issue when Odetta first met Roland and Eddie regarding trust issues and him being white, when he first picked her up. Isn't she hindering Roland and Eddie's activities because she hates white blokes?

Yeah, the Odetta storyline will have to change as she had been the receiver of horrible racism in her life before she met him and doesn't trust white Roland as a result. It defines their early relationship.

But that said, it's not a HUGE factor in the overall storyline as things go along. They just need to come up with another reason why Odetta doesn't trust him and it will be fine.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users