• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dark Tower movie, TV,

#61 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

Will this series cover all the dark tower books? (Is the series even completed yet)

#62 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

The series is complete.

The movie wont completely follow the books. I dont really know how to tell you more without spoiling the ending of the series.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#63 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

I'm conflicted. I LOOOOOOVE Idris Elba. And he looks fantastic in this.

The gun kata I could do without...Roland's skills are that of a regular ass gunslinger. The regular guy who pushes himself to get the job done...not a magic warrior monk. So not a big fan of his trick speed loader slo-mo stuff...but the one shot of him loading multiple single bullets was much more in line with how it is presented in the books. That one late-trailer headshot through all the things blindly...eh...not really the thing. I get they are going for a visual aesthetic to wrangle non-King fans into the theatre seats...but I still don't much care for it.

Jake seems fine. IIRC he's a bit older than he is in the books, which makes sense in a movie.

You BARELY see Kathryn Winnick in the trailer...which is sad, cause she's awesome.

Actually, Matthew works really well as the Man in Black. I kind of assumed he would, but I'm pleased to see he pulls it off.

I was worried that too much of this would take place in our world, and not enough in Mid-World/End-World....but there seems to be a lot in Mid-world too...which is nice.

And the tower looks GLORIOUS.

so I have HEAVY reservations of this film...but I'm willing to reserve judgement till I see it...but I can't yet say one way or the other on it doing well. This might be another JOHN CARTER or GOLDEN COMPASS...fire off the first movie of a successful series with a bad movie..and you doom it to be one movie only. Here's hoping that's not the case...but my trust in Sony is....not exactly big.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#64 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'm conflicted. I LOOOOOOVE Idris Elba. And he looks fantastic in this.

The gun kata I could do without...Roland's skills are that of a regular ass gunslinger. The regular guy who pushes himself to get the job done...not a magic warrior monk. So not a big fan of his trick speed loader slo-mo stuff...but the one shot of him loading multiple single bullets was much more in line with how it is presented in the books. That one late-trailer headshot through all the things blindly...eh...not really the thing. I get they are going for a visual aesthetic to wrangle non-King fans into the theatre seats...but I still don't much care for it.

so I have HEAVY reservations of this film...but I'm willing to reserve judgement till I see it...but I can't yet say one way or the other on it doing well. This might be another JOHN CARTER or GOLDEN COMPASS...fire off the first movie of a successful series with a bad movie..and you doom it to be one movie only. Here's hoping that's not the case...but my trust in Sony is....not exactly big.

Both of these!

Also, not sure about the MiB being the one trying to bring down the Dark Tower. Is he the big bad in this one? Or do we not understand the scope yet?

And apparently the tower is a different thing in this one. In the books it holds the worlds together, in the movie it "protects, and if it falls, hell will be unleashed". I guessed hell being unleashed is more dramatic than oblivion.

#65 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 May 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

Also, not sure about the MiB being the one trying to bring down the Dark Tower. Is he the big bad in this one? Or do we not understand the scope yet?

And apparently the tower is a different thing in this one. In the books it holds the worlds together, in the movie it "protects, and if it falls, hell will be unleashed". I guessed hell being unleashed is more dramatic than oblivion.

On top of that adding in the relatively unknown factor of it being

Spoiler

So they can modify stuff?

I dunno.

It also doesn't bode well that this film had it's release date pushed a few times....and it settled in August - Normally the month movies go to die.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#66 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

I might read the first fewbooktjust before going to the movie

#67 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 May 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

For what it's worth, this seems like it has elements of Book 1 and 2...so you'd be good if you read those two.

though as Slow Ben said...there is another more spoiler-y element to the thing...but it can't hurt you to read books 1 and 2.

Oh, and understand that book 1 is largely a "mood piece" compared to book 2.

#68 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 May 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

This.

I remember taking a run at Book 1 and failing to keep on going.

King and I are hit or miss, mostly miss, although I think he writes brilliantly. King takes most of his stories along a narrative path I'm not all together that invested in.

This trailer has me realizing how much of the scope I missed in my first attempt. I'm gonna give it another go.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#69 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 03 May 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Ugh. I did not like that one single bit. I'm seeing bk 2 bits here. Not surprised considering how small and narrow bk 1 is.

Some of it is even Book 3 (The wooden-plank creature) stuff.

#70 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, Jake doesnt come back to Rolands world until about halfway through book 3. And it takes Roland, Eddie, and Susanna banging a demon to get him there.

#71 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

I 100% agree with QT about the gunkata stuff. It was in one of the teasers yesterday and looked goofy then, and in the context of the full trailer it still looks goofy. The deft single-bullet loading looks way better. I don't mind the shoot with your heart shot though.

The explanation for what happens when the tower falls, I'm taking with a grain of salt.

I'm overall still on the fence. But I will say the John Carter movie was pretty sweet.

Even though the books are clearly blended

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#72 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

I haven't read the books, but I've read that this is another take rather than a straight adaptation, so...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#73 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

well afaik Kata roughly means precise practiced movements, that can then be performed without thought or concentration. So Gunkata could be a made up word that means like flipping a bullet into a gun mid swing, knowing where it will land and not having to think or worry about it.
or something.

#74 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 May 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

well afaik Kata roughly means precise practiced movements, that can then be performed without thought or concentration. So Gunkata could be a made up word that means like flipping a bullet into a gun mid swing, knowing where it will land and not having to think or worry about it.
or something.

Yeah, the slo-mo perfect loading and shooting shots.

#75 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

It's a term coined from Equilibrium that has caught on as a general term for gun-based martial arts.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#76 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

You should watch Equilibrium. Really fun film.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#77 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 May 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Watched again and I still missed bk 3 bit... where is it?

The monster made out of what look like pieces of wood is presumably the house on Dutch Hill that Jake uses to enter Rolands world in book 3.

#78 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:03 AM

I always enjoy trailer breakdowns. Never realize how much i miss.

http://www.ign.com/v...e-first-trailer

I kind of like the idea of Jake being a breaker in this one and thats why theyre after him.

#79 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

All Hail the Crimson King.

Partly puts my worries to bed that the Man in Black is the only big bad.

#80 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

The dark tower never grabbed me and the more I learn about it I think that was a good thing. Stephen King showing up in his own work as an integral key to maintain all reality. Wtf

I hope the show is a different take on a few levels

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users