• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Dark Tower movie, TV,

#1 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

The Dark Tower adaptation has been confirmed with Ron Howard at the helm. It will be done in an interesting format of blending feature films and TV series'. See the link for the relevant info although the reviewer is less than enamoured with the other individuals involved in the project......

http://www.pajiba.co...r-confirmed.php
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

I'm iffy on how successful it will be...it'll probably be serviceable like the Harry Potter movies (though I reserve a place in my heart for cautious optimism). But I am very glad to see this movie/tv combo, if they can get the right network. It's a neat idea, but a broadcast network might neuter the content.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

I dont know that i've ever been filled with so much excitement mixed up with angst all rolled into one sensation before.

Please, please, pleeeeeeease dont screw this up.

Long days and pleasant nights.:veryangry:
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

I have some fears for this project, namely the writer's track record and Ritchie Cunningham's penchant for taking the formulaic safe option. The network which picks this up needs to be 100% behind it as well, otherwise I foresee an unfinished PG13 mess and general embarrassment for all involved.

Which would be a shame as I enjoyed the books and would like to see a TV / Movie crossover work. It's a bold undertaking and probably the only way a massive story like TDT could be done. There is also something terribly Kingish about going to the cinema and waiting at home each week to watch the same story.

OK, casting.

As far as Roland goes i'm going to lay a small wager in the direction of Timothy Olyphant, with a hair dyed Hugh Laurie coming up fast on the rails.

Halle Berry would be good, but Zoe Saldana would be cheaper to hire as Detta. Mufugger

Any more ?
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#5 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

I wonder if King will play himself.

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I really enjoyed the books (1-4 and 7 being my favorites, I felt 5 and 6 slipped up a bit) and it might be cool seeing it on the big screen. On the other, sometimes things are just better left on paper. For example:

The man and black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

In my opinion, this is the best opening (and closing) I've ever read. Now, unless they begin it with those words, then fade to black with those words, the viewers aren't going to get the same feeling I did when completing the books. I dunno, I just always have reserves about making books into movies or shows. It's just never quite the same.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Defiance: 09 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:07 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cxrY7MWEkwE

This post has been edited by Beezulbubba: 10 September 2010 - 02:09 AM

#7 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:09 AM

My first choice for Roland would be Clint Eastwood, but the project is a couple of decades past his being able to pull it off, but I'd like to see a cameo appearance from him... his unnamed man from A Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly will forever be my mental image of Roland...

But Christian Bale or Viggo Mortensen would be acceptable actors as I think that have the chops to pull off Roland...

Just my opinion...
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#8 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:25 AM

I think Eastwood is the first name everyones going to think of for Roland. Because its perfect.

I dont know how big of a budget they're going to have, but a lesser actor i always thought would be good for Roland is Scott Glenn.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001277/
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#9 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:59 AM

I don't think Eastwood is too old. Many times throughout the books, his Ka-tet mentions how old Roland appears.

I would HOPE, considering the passion of DT fans, that they would be true to the original story. But like you guys said, I'm nervous and excited at the same time.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#10 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 September 2010 - 02:25 AM, said:

I think Eastwood is the first name everyones going to think of for Roland. Because its perfect.

I dont know how big of a budget they're going to have, but a lesser actor i always thought would be good for Roland is Scott Glenn.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001277/

Yeah, that dude's not bad. I'd be more inclined to go for Ed Harris, though.

Posted Image

There's no way they're getting Eastwood for this.

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:39 AM

Ed's got experience in King works as well. He was in The Stand (guy in charge of Project Blue).
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

I never made it past book 3 (once "Velcro Fly" entered the story, I couldn't be bothered), but am kind of interested in seeing what they do with this.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#13 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

This will be so cool if they manage to pull it off! Await the result with excitement, and some trepidation.

I suggest this guy for Randall Flag

Attached File  marten.jpg (31.67K)
Number of downloads: 4

And for some reason I always picture this guy as Eddie Dean:

Attached File  kevin_corrigan.jpg (15.41K)
Number of downloads: 1
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#14 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

You nailed Eddie Dean. Perfect. For Roland, I don't think Eastwood is going to happen, last I heard he's retired from acting and this is a huge undertaking. Plus, he's too old. Vigo would work, not Bale though. Ed Harris is passable but not ideal.
Error: Signature not valid

#15 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on 10 September 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

This will be so cool if they manage to pull it off! Await the result with excitement, and some trepidation.

Attachment marten.jpg

Attachment kevin_corrigan.jpg

The guy in the first pic is Billy Drago and he has been one of the best b-list movie villains around for quite some time.

I agree he would be perfect as Flagg.

#16 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 10 September 2010 - 06:58 PM, said:

You nailed Eddie Dean. Perfect. For Roland, I don't think Eastwood is going to happen, last I heard he's retired from acting and this is a huge undertaking. Plus, he's too old. Vigo would work, not Bale though. Ed Harris is passable but not ideal.

I say thank ya :D

Does Eastwood have any sons or much younger brothers that look very much like him? That would be perfect :p

View Postmasan, on 10 September 2010 - 08:28 PM, said:

View PostGrimhilde, on 10 September 2010 - 06:02 PM, said:

Attachment marten.jpg

Attachment kevin_corrigan.jpg

The guy in the first pic is Billy Drago and he has been one of the best b-list movie villains around for quite some time.

I agree he would be perfect as Flagg.

So that's what he's called! I googled all sorts of combinations of wizard/warlock/ villain and Charmed :D

Yeah, for me he totally IS Randall Flagg.
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

This could really really go either way. There are large massive huge chunks of the story that can be cheerfully jettisoned to make it workable in film and tv but dumn it down too much and they lose a lot of what makes the story fairly original.

Plus this notion of working both tv and film... i dunno, it's worked with Trek where they are telling almost completely separate stories with the same characters (or loosely connected characters) and it failed with Firefly because there wasn't enough audience in either medium to generate interest in the other.

I do hope they delete the entire thing with Steven King writing himself into the story because aside from deus ex mute drawing kid, that more than anything was weak.

Eastwood's too old for Roland but damn i'd like to see him cameo as Roland's father.

- Abyss, notes that there's a face ye ain't likely ta forget...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   jaysen 

• Corporal

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

Honestly I don't give much a shit for the Dark Tower Series in movie form.

I do think that Wizard and Glass would be an awesome movie as it was the only book I've re-read in the series (and is the only good book in the series).

Don't get me wrong, I love King's works, but the Dark Tower series as a whole isn't in my "Stephen King Top 10."
Why should I infect them with my rage?

#19 User is offline   snake0026 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:12 AM

Seems Javier Bardem is more or less a lock for Roland.
"But I saw you [Snake]…faced by Anomander [Mandy] himself. How did…"
"I escape? Well, I dazzled him with fancy words, edging ever closer, then used my ninja skills to strike like a cobra, knocking the sword [Spamnipur] away and drop-kicking him over the side before tumbling backwards, slaying another Piss'd Andii on the way."
Silence. Lots of silence. "Fine!" He shrugged and grinned, "Someone hit him in the face with a coin, and he cursed just long enough for me to get away." ~ Excerpt from Gardens of the Tea Spoon

#20 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

That's good I like that guy. I always pictured Roland as Clint Eastwood, I think it's even mentioned once or twice in one of the novels thanks to the pretty unique way its presented.

Alas clint is clearly too old now. I've always thought Ronan Keating looked a bit like a young clint, but you'd hardly call him a Trig Cove...

Attached File  clinteastwood1.jpg (24.77K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  Ronan-Keating-before.jpg (18.36K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by The Tyrant Lizard: 07 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users