• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12301 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 September 2022 - 02:06 PM

I've not seen KNIVES OUT yet, but this looks solid!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12302 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:04 PM

Wife and I are watching through both Father of the Brides since they're on Disney+.

Still excellent, but you really relate more with ole Dad when you have daughters that are old enough to have boyfriends. ooooh boy.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12303 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 September 2022 - 08:26 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 September 2022 - 02:06 PM, said:

I've not seen KNIVES OUT yet, but this looks solid!

Knives out was a fun take on the genre

#12304 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:15 AM

The movie Old. There's an 1 hr & 1/2 I can't get back (huh, kind of goes with the theme of the movie ;-) ). It is duuuuuuuumb! Oh gee, lets work in the idea of ethics and for the greater good at the end.

#12305 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:07 PM

The INDY 5 trailer leaked...but it's been yanked from most places due to copyright. I expect this means that the full HD version will come out soon too, so keep an eye out.

I saw it before it was yanked and I can confirm one character casting spoiler for the impatient...

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12306 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 September 2022 - 07:07 PM, said:

I saw it before it was yanked and I can confirm one character casting spoiler for the impatient...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 September 2022 - 08:24 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12307 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:43 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 September 2022 - 08:21 PM, said:

Spoiler

‘‘Twas a different era of casting my friend.

#12308 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:34 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 September 2022 - 01:43 AM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 28 September 2022 - 08:21 PM, said:

Spoiler

‘‘Twas a different era of casting my friend.

Yeah but I'm kinda expecting some ... pressure to recast. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12309 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 29 September 2022 - 12:03 PM

I don’t think so. I mean obviously the character isn’t pc by today’s standards, he’s still a beloved part of the franchise.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#12310 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:58 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 29 September 2022 - 12:03 PM, said:

I don’t think so. I mean obviously the character isn’t pc by today’s standards, he’s still a beloved part of the franchise.

Or he is until someone popular on TikTok whose never seen the original 3 kicks up a storm about it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12311 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 September 2022 - 06:58 AM

Easy, they do an emotional side scene where he and indy regale each other with stories of their youth, and its revealed his parents immigrated to Egypt for work and were killed in a pyramid/camel accident, at a young age with nowhere to go a kindly local family took him in

#12312 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:37 AM

Watched Soleil Moon Frye's documentary (cut together from the video footage she shot during her entire youth compulsively) KID 90...which is basically a look at the lives of all the famous young actors of the 90's who she hung out with.

It's about 1.5 hours long (perhaps a little less) and for the first maybe 30-40 minutes, it's what I expected...a sort of unabashed look at people I grew up idolizing acting like I did as an idiot teen, partying, making out, smoking, drinking and doing varied drugs (albeit more depressing)...in the same decade that I did those things. The problem really arises about halfway through when it changes into Soleil basically coming to the realization (as she watches back the tapes) that she was literally SURROUNDED by young people so depressed that they were crying out for help...which she accepts she ignored/didn't see at the time...and as such, the film ends with a literal graveyard of people who either died by drug overdose or moreover from suicide around her....Jonathan Brandis chief amongst them (she dated him intensely and spoke about marrying him in the future).

It's also interesting to see her leave LA at like age 17 when things were spiralling a little out of control in her life with all the partying and drugs ect, to start a new chapter in NYC for University...only to IMMEDIATELY fall in with Justin Pierce, Harold Hunter (both of whom died as well from suicide and drugs respectively) and the rest of the basehead/nigh-homeless/Zoo York/KIDS movie party crowd which I would argue was even worse than the crowd she was hanging out with in LA. It's like watching someone leave a car wreck, and get on a train headed towards a brick wall. Her first consensual sex experience was with Charlie Sheen when he was 29 and she was 17...ick....a relationship she speaks FONDLY of on the Doc in the modern day segments, and the guy from House of Pain she dated who was 25 and dated her when she was 15...like her life was a mess, and even in the introspective moments in the modern day talking head segments I'm sitting there like "Lady...some of this stuff you're romanticizing was not romantic at all and much of it is very problematic."

I honestly thought that aside from a story or two of people losing their way mentally (Brandis, who was in the trailer), I was going to wistfully enjoy this look back at the decade that really defined me...but this documentary is depressing from the first 15 or so minutes and just gets more depressing as it goes.

She should have left these tapes locked up in a box. It serves no one to revisit the 90's through such a miserable lens.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 September 2022 - 11:40 AM

#12313 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 October 2022 - 12:10 AM

Watched DC Super Pets with the kids at the theater. Actually pretty damn entertaining. Probably the DC movie I’ve enjoyed the most.

7 coughed up hair ball grenades out of 10.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12314 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:16 PM

Just watched Bullet Train, with Brad Pitt. I don't get the low RT critic score (54%), trust the audience score (76%) it was a blast. Good fun, good action, twisty plot (don't waste time trying to follow it at the time, it will explain it later), a nice balance between tongue-in-cheek and action/adventure.

Loads of little easter eggs too, cameos galore and many Deadpool 2 crossovers. Not surprising considering David Leitch directed. I guess it was being made at the same time at The Lost City (also good fun, if a bit more switch your brain off). I did not spot Aaron Taylor-Johnson at the time, he's a real chameleon these days.

A solid eight venomous South African snakes out of ten. Definite popcorn movie.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 October 2022 - 12:18 PM

#12315 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:30 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 03 October 2022 - 12:16 PM, said:

Just watched Bullet Train, with Brad Pitt. I don't get the low RT critic score (54%), trust the audience score (76%) it was a blast. Good fun, good action, twisty plot (don't waste time trying to follow it at the time, it will explain it later), a nice balance between tongue-in-cheek and action/adventure.

Loads of little easter eggs too, cameos galore and many Deadpool 2 crossovers. Not surprising considering David Leitch directed. I guess it was being made at the same time at The Lost City (also good fun, if a bit more switch your brain off). I did not spot Aaron Taylor-Johnson at the time, he's a real chameleon these days.

A solid eight venomous South African snakes out of ten. Definite popcorn movie.

I want to watch it, and this was pretty much the consensus of my friend who saw it in theatre...that it's a blast.

Also, for what it's worth I put WAYYYYYYYY more stock in the Audience Score over the critic score these days...I find critics intensely out of touch with what is fun and good.

#12316 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 October 2022 - 12:10 PM

Latest one: Confess, Fletch. Updated version with John Hamm in the role made famous by Chevy Chase in two movies that were both great fun.

This version is a little lighter on the slapstick but still quirky and fun. It seemed a little "Netflix-y" but not in a bad way, more like the "Murder Mystery" that Jen Aniston and Adam Sandler did that was fun at the time but not overly memorable.

A nice light way to spend an hour and a half or so. John Hamm isn't bad in the role and has some comedy chops.

6.5 attractive Chileans playing Italians out of 10.

#12317 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 October 2022 - 09:38 PM

For Halloween spooky season, watched Studio 666 (the Foo Fighters horror movie)....eh, it was a stinker. The expectation that it's supposed to be schlocky, b-movie horror entertainment going in is necessary, but it didn't deliver on that or lean into it very much. It was not fun much at all tbh, except for the keyboard player and Pat Smear very rarely (and some of the goofy, gory sfx were fun). But yeah, I expected terrible acting but its not done in a fun b-movie way. So don't waste your time with Studio 666. On a separate note, I'm kind of over Dave Grohl as rock star hero he as so fully embraced now. It's gotten annoying. Also, about the movie, I wonder if it's cursed and had something to do with the drummer's death. If I was the other guys in the band I'd be worried. (heh, just a goof, but I'm sure fans of the band have given it some thought).

#12318 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 October 2022 - 11:34 PM

Speaking of spooky season --

A couple things from Criterion's current 80s Horror collection:
Near Dark -- Modern (as in current day, as of the 80s) Western combined with vampires. Pretty good. Not scary, but it's got a lot of style and has fun -- Lance Henriksen and Bill Paxton are great (it's directed by Kathryn Bigelow back when she was with James Cameron, and has some cast crossover with Aliens).

Basket Case (rewatch) -- Hadn't seen this since I was a kid. I think I was scared of Belial back then, and he is pretty gruesome, but it's really just good campy fun from top to bottom. Glad I rewatched it!

And a couple newer things:
X -- 70s-style throwback slasher from Ti West. Pretty good. Decent tension (but no frights) and not reinventing the wheel, but it gets by on a lot of charm and good performances, plus some pretty gnarly kills.

Speak No Evil -- Kind of on the Funny Games tip -- not nearly as self-righteous and lecture-y as FG (note -- I did not like FG), but it also ramps up the stupid quite a bit in exchange, at least in the second half. It's a satire of the Danish middle class, I gather, so it makes sense that they're stupid, but it's still more frustrating than satisfying, even if that's the point. IMO at least.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12319 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:31 PM

Looks effectively creepy for Halloween season. Doesn't open until January though, so probably something I look out for, for next spooky season.

#12320 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 October 2022 - 11:29 PM

So, still on the Halloween season movie vibe, I watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time. I've read articles about the movie in the past but never have watched it. I liked it. The actress playing Rosemary is the gem of the movie, but the supporting cast is top notch as well, especially the older couple (well really the woman) who has way too much nosey interest in Rosemary's pregnancy (I wonder why? Posted Image) . The movie really lives and breaths on being understated in a lot of respects and ramping up the psychological tension. Rosemary's physical decline in health during the pregnancy is done really well. I suppose with today's sensibilities, Rosemary's Baby probably would get a lot of criticism (dare I suggest 'woke' criticism? Posted Image). But yeah, for a different kind of horror flick experience, one that I think is not really done anymore, it delivers.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users