• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12341 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 November 2022 - 08:32 PM

It's free if you have a Roku.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12342 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:16 PM

View Postworry, on 05 November 2022 - 10:54 PM, said:

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story — I liked it! It starts out kinda like Walk Hard, but eventually it has more bonkers humor that isn’t strictly biopic parody. The Hollywood pool party scene is a highlight, and the finale is very funny. It’s a little too long I think, but oh well.

I take it this film is mostly fiction? Like from what I've read it doesn't sound like Weird Al in terms of he's always had quite a family friendly image but this film seems quite insane (in a good way).
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12343 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2022 - 03:53 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 November 2022 - 03:16 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 05 November 2022 - 10:54 PM, said:

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story — I liked it! It starts out kinda like Walk Hard, but eventually it has more bonkers humor that isn’t strictly biopic parody. The Hollywood pool party scene is a highlight, and the finale is very funny. It’s a little too long I think, but oh well.

I take it this film is mostly fiction? Like from what I've read it doesn't sound like Weird Al in terms of he's always had quite a family friendly image but this film seems quite insane (in a good way).

It's a Weird Al Song of a movie...a complete parody of the things that have happened in his life. It's entirely tongue-in-cheek, and ridiculous for the same reason. Quite ingenious really. It is loosely based on an old comedy skit "serious" trailer from the Funny Or Die guys.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12344 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 November 2022 - 05:27 PM

I definitely want to see it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12345 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 November 2022 - 12:14 PM

Re-watching KUNG FU HUSTLE for the 84th time (my wife has never seen it), and I still laugh my ass off at this flick. Love Stephen Chow's work (KING OF COMEDY, GOD OF COOKERY, SHAOLIN SOCCER)....has anyone seen THE MERMAID, or his JOURNEY TO THE WEST movies? I want to check them out....I would assume the quality is as high as I'd expect from him?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 November 2022 - 12:15 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12346 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 November 2022 - 02:24 PM

Watched Everything, Everywhere, All at Once on my flights for my honeymoon last week.

What an entertaining movie! With my Chinese-American (she lived her first 8 years in China) wife by my side, she felt me laughing throughout the movie. Ludicrous, but also real (I had to play a couple parts for her, the mom was SO FAMILIAR to her and what she tells me) at the same time.

8 out of 10 for me.

Made it like 75% through Bullet Train as well. I had zero expectations, but this was super fun as well. I ran out of time on my flights, but will catch the end at some point when it is for free again.

Parts that I was watching was a 6.5 out of 10. Depending on ending could move up! Don't see it going down at all.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12347 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:26 PM

Watched Black Adam this weekend. It was okay.

And that, I feel, is the worst thing it could be, because it was just okay.

I feel that if a movie is bad, at least you'll remember it for being bad. If it's really bad, a lot of people will want to see it just because they will want to know why it is so bad. A lot will even come back to watch it again.

If a movie is good, then by all means.

But when a movie is "just" okay? Well, that means it's forgettable. If it's just okay, then you're not going to remember it for long, because it didn't make much of an mark on you.

Black Adam was okay.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12348 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 November 2022 - 06:15 PM

Watched Get Out.

This film is a lot more basic than I expected. The way Get Out was getting talked about when it came out, I was thinking it would be a lot better.

The movie basically shows its hand in the first 30 minutes and then plays out exactly as you expect. It's not really a horror film. Not particularly psychological either except in the most generic sort og way.

Is it a "Black people in America so it's topical" thing?

What about Peele's other two movies. Are they any good? I heard Nope is like "Jaws from Space".

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 November 2022 - 06:19 PM

#12349 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:31 PM

Nope was rather disappointing, but Get Out and Us were fantastic. Not sure why you're tanking on Get Out so badly, maybe you had some spoilers before watching it? It is a great film, even upon a rewatch.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12350 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:49 PM

View PostGorefest, on 18 November 2022 - 08:31 PM, said:

Nope was rather disappointing, but Get Out and Us were fantastic. Not sure why you're tanking on Get Out so badly, maybe you had some spoilers before watching it? It is a great film, even upon a rewatch.

I think the problem is that I managed NOT to get any spoilers. This movie got a ton of buzz on release and as such I was expecting something special. The casting and writing is good but there's nothing else to surprise you. Maybe I'm just too jaded.

Spoiler

Like it's not a poorly told story. It's just incredibly predictable and pedestrian in the telling. I was expecting some swerves or that the revelation was much deeper.

#12351 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:14 PM

You did pick up on the fact that

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 18 November 2022 - 09:16 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12352 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:34 PM

I think a good bit of the social and historical subtext that heightens the impact and experience of the movie isn't something Apt cares that much about, so it's not ever going to land as well as something else would.

He's right that Peele isn't a bend your mind into pretzels story director tho.

#12353 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 November 2022 - 07:06 AM

View PostGorefest, on 18 November 2022 - 09:14 PM, said:

You did pick up on the fact that

Spoiler

I got that part. It just seemed pointless except for the last scene.

Spoiler

View Postamphibian, on 18 November 2022 - 09:34 PM, said:

I think a good bit of the social and historical subtext that heightens the impact and experience of the movie isn't something Apt cares that much about, so it's not ever going to land as well as something else would.

He's right that Peele isn't a bend your mind into pretzels story director tho.

I suspect this is it. If I was more attuned to the societal issues of America I'd maybe feel the tension or awkwardness more. Seen from the eyes of the protagonist much if it seems almost comedic.

#12354 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 November 2022 - 06:34 PM

Watching Dogma.

I'd forgotten how good this film is. The overarching plot is rough. It's just a bunch sketches disguised as movie scenes. But it's funny, witty and full of great cameos.

Just watching young Ben Affleck and Matt Damon playing a bunch of Has Been Angels in 90s clothes is fascinating. There's Jay and Silent Bob. Selma Hayek as a stripper. Allan Rickman as the Metatron.

This movie is amazing.

#12355 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:07 PM

Hyyyyyyyype.

#12356 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:23 PM

Beast Wars/Machines is the best transformers.

#12357 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:17 PM

View Postamphibian, on 01 December 2022 - 09:23 PM, said:

Beast Wars/Machines is the best transformers.

Yep. 100%.

#12358 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:20 PM

Well this looks great! My faith in James Mangold to deliver a REALLY solid Indy movie is high.

#12359 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:15 PM

So recently we rewatched the Hobbit films for the first time since I originally saw them. Honestly, and this could be because my expectations were not as high, they were quite a lot of fun! Yes the CGI is a bit naff in places and they really dragged it out unnecessarily, but actually I enjoyed myself immensely.

Not a patch on LOTR of course, which we've now started watching for the who knows how many-th time!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12360 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:09 AM

You are dead to me Tiste

In other news, we went to the cinema Friday night to watch Spirited, another take on a Christmas Carol. Was a lot of fun, I'm a huge fan of Reynolds and Ferrell, this was likely a part of it but wife loved it too

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users