• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12321 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 October 2022 - 04:13 PM

Is Rosemary's Baby the one about a tree that eats babies? I have this childhood memory of some fucked up tree that bleeds from the 70s.

Anyway, despite being a chicken that hates watching horror movies, I have gotten the urge to watch something scary. I'm watching Rob Zombies Halloween remake and it's pretty solid. I like the origin story despite Michael Myers not really needing one. I love how hulkingly big he's shown to be. Strangely the film isn't particularly brutal. Most of the violence isn't shown directly or there's litte, to no blood. A strange choice in a time where horror movies try to out do themselves with the gore.

I'm thinking of watching the latest two Halloween movies before the third and last one comes out.

#12322 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 October 2022 - 06:22 PM

Finished Rob Zombie's Halloween. It was okay. Didn't really live up to the originals atmosphere but I liked this version of Michael Myers.

Watching Halloween 2018 now.

This movies premise is a bit silly. Myers has to be around 60 at this point. Like, dangerous with a knife, sure. But I've seen the trailers, no way dudes going to be winning a wrestling match.

I guess evil is rejuvenating.

#12323 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 October 2022 - 07:27 PM

No baby eating trees, but the satanic coven's backstory includes baby eating. But no, Rosemary's baby has a different purpose.

#12324 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

Oh my god the ending of Halloween 2018 is idiotic.

The film was pretty cool and then the third act is just crammed with all the stupid horror movie choices characters do to get themselves killed.

Spoiler

I'm so mad I can't wait to watch the sequel.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 17 October 2022 - 07:31 PM

#12325 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 October 2022 - 07:37 PM

View PostAptorian, on 17 October 2022 - 07:30 PM, said:

Oh my god the ending of Halloween 2018 is idiotic.

The film was pretty cool and then the third act is just crammed with all the stupid horror movie choices characters do to get themselves killed.

Spoiler

I'm so mad I can't wait to watch the sequel.

The sequel's apparently pretty bad.

#12326 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 October 2022 - 09:47 PM

I like Halloween 2018, but Halloween Kills sucks (aside from the eponymous kills, which are pretty rad). And Halloween Ends -- while taking a bigger, more interesting risk than Kills -- also wound up mostly sucking, especially for a slasher. In a way it's better than Kills, but for every interesting decision there's one or two bad ones and it really lacks for thrills outside of the beginning and the end.

But after watching Ends I watched The Purge for the first time, and it made me kinda like Ends more in retrospect, at least for DGG's competence as a filmmaker. The Purge is absolutely awful, a real 1-star sinkhole. I'm still gonna watch the sequels this week as I heard they get wackier, if not any better.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12327 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 October 2022 - 07:24 PM

So….the critics have been smoking that shit again…

BLACK ADAM is great! I had a blast with it. Top 3 DC movies. Lots of good content. Great story, good jokes without being overwhelming with them, and good action without going over the top.

The cameos were solid too.

Like I really can’t fathom why anyone would dislike this.

And once again the critics score at RT 42% wars with the Audience score at RT 88%

For what it’s worth, the 88% is where I fall. Had a blast. Popcorn superhero stuff without the MCU formulaic-ness.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12328 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:57 AM

I also really enjoyed Black Adam. Some plot points were obvious but it’s a superhero film. The introduction of black Adam was well done. I immediately felt this guy has power.

As usual the biggest disappointment in a superhero movie is the late introduction of the villain who comes across as underdeveloped.

Definitely one of DCs best.

#12329 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2022 - 01:21 PM

View PostCause, on 25 October 2022 - 02:57 AM, said:

This. I definitely came away from it feeling like it was one of their best and was a good "aiming" towards a smart course correction towards the type of solidly fun DC movies we've gotten in the animated realm, but in live action.

If this is the Phase 1 of the DC EU going forward, it stepped off on the right foot. I was watching it and and comparing it to IRON MAN 1 in my head as a sort of "launching point" movie, if that makes sense?

And now that Cavill is officially back (say what we will about Zaslav's choices this far, but the fact that he got rid of Hamada and the others who have been literally preventing Cavill from returning and the Trinity from being front and centre is a good thing for the DC movies), and we are getting a second Supes movie...I'm very excited to see whereto things go now.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 October 2022 - 01:23 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12330 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:02 PM

Stand-alone superman movie, aquaman and black Adam are the top three DC movies. Wonder women one was decent. I feel like the rest have all been trash.

Describing it as a more animated DC movie feel just live action feels right. I love most of the animated DC movies but their live action is mostly subpar.

It also had a set up feel to it I would agree. Not sure how I feel about all of it. Hawk man could become a character but the development of Adam smasher and tornado/cyclone whoever …. I feel like they should just leave them out going forward or keep them as support characters only.

Even hawk man though comes across like a one dimensional character.

#12331 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:09 PM

View PostCause, on 25 October 2022 - 05:02 PM, said:

Stand-alone superman movie, aquaman and black Adam are the top three DC movies. Wonder women one was decent. I feel like the rest have all been trash.

Describing it as a more animated DC movie feel just live action feels right. I love most of the animated DC movies but their live action is mostly subpar.

It also had a set up feel to it I would agree. Not sure how I feel about all of it. Hawk man could become a character but the development of Adam smasher and tornado/cyclone whoever …. I feel like they should just leave them out going forward or keep them as support characters only.

What I liked about Hawkman was that we joined him at a point where he's already clearly long established as such, with his jet and logo and what not...so there's plenty of room to make a film about him, or including him with Aldis Hodge as lead. Like it's clear he's got a history and he and Doctor Fate especially have a long friendship. They can explore that in a side project.

I would not call him one dimensional mind you, but I agree that since his time on screen is less than Dr. Fate or Teth Adam himself it's not as much of a deep dive into the character as I would have liked, but as an introduction to Hawkman as a superhero on the big screen, I liked it a lot.

You've also got Sarah Shahi playing a future superhero (Isis), and her son (Osiris) as well...so there's a lot of planting of seeds in this flick I think, and not overtly so.

#12332 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 October 2022 - 06:47 PM

I haven't seen it yet, i'm looking fwd to it. I've been fairly thoroughly spoiled but w comics movies i don't really mind.

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 October 2022 - 07:24 PM, said:

So….the critics have been smoking that shit again…

BLACK ADAM is great! I had a blast with it. Top 3 DC movies. Lots of good content. Great story, good jokes without being overwhelming with them, and good action without going over the top.

The cameos were solid too.

Like I really can't fathom why anyone would dislike this.

And once again the critics score at RT 42% wars with the Audience score at RT 88%

For what it's worth, the 88% is where I fall. Had a blast. Popcorn superhero stuff without the MCU formulaic-ness.

Critics - the people who designate themselves as such, as opposed to bloggers, influencers, content generators and fans with time on their hands - have hit the point where they just slam comics movies for being comics movies. It's tiresome the way they fall back on the notion that 'everyone' is tired of these movies (even if they go see them in the mazillions).

And Snyderbros, but no one sane really cares what they think.

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 October 2022 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 25 October 2022 - 02:57 AM, said:

This. I definitely came away from it feeling like it was one of their best and was a good "aiming" towards a smart course correction towards the type of solidly fun DC movies we've gotten in the animated realm, but in live action.

If this is the Phase 1 of the DC EU going forward, it stepped off on the right foot. I was watching it and and comparing it to IRON MAN 1 in my head as a sort of "launching point" movie, if that makes sense?

And now that Cavill is officially back (say what we will about Zaslav's choices this far, but the fact that he got rid of Hamada and the others who have been literally preventing Cavill from returning and the Trinity from being front and centre is a good thing for the DC movies), and we are getting a second Supes movie...I'm very excited to see whereto things go now.

We have cause for hope.
I mean, otoh there was the mess w the BATGIRL movie and whatever ese is going on in WB that's kind of depressing.

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 October 2022 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 25 October 2022 - 05:02 PM, said:

What I liked about Hawkman was that we joined him at a point where he's already clearly long established as such, with his jet and logo and what not...so there's plenty of room to make a film about him, or including him with Aldis Hodge as lead. Like it's clear he's got a history and he and Doctor Fate especially have a long friendship. They can explore that in a side project.

I would not call him one dimensional mind you, but I agree that since his time on screen is less than Dr. Fate or Teth Adam himself it's not as much of a deep dive into the character as I would have liked, but as an introduction to Hawkman as a superhero on the big screen, I liked it a lot.

You've also got Sarah Shahi playing a future superhero (Isis), and her son (Osiris) as well...so there's a lot of planting of seeds in this flick I think, and not overtly so.

There's a metric tonne to work with, and i appreciate the willingness to incorporate a wider world of heroes here, versus say, SHAZAM (which remains my favorite DC movie), where for all intents and purposes there are no other heroes.

Hawkman is such a mess of a character and the visual of his wings is really an fx issue, i can't see him getting much focus.
Dr Fate otoh, could be DC/WB's answer to Dr Strange and an easy way to work in other potentially popular characters from the weird side of things (Zatanna). And Pierce Brosnan is likely just happy to have work so he won't object to his face being hidden for chunks of time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12333 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2022 - 06:47 PM, said:

There's a metric tonne to work with, and i appreciate the willingness to incorporate a wider world of heroes here, versus say, SHAZAM (which remains my favorite DC movie), where for all intents and purposes there are no other heroes.

Speaking of, they showed the SHAZAM: FURY OF THE GODS trailer before BA and it looks like a blast of a time.

#12334 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 November 2022 - 11:56 AM

Enjoyed the first one, so why not?

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12335 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 November 2022 - 07:08 AM

Oh wow, the joke about this one may go over the heads of anyone under about 40 ...

Looks like fun though. If it wasn't a musical I might watch it.

https://www.news.com...f9356a0cb6f2e6e

Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell team up for Spirited
If there are two stars you definitely want in an all-singing, all-dancing Christmas musical, it’s Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell.

---------------------------------------

Here you go:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 November 2022 - 07:12 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12336 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 November 2022 - 10:35 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 November 2022 - 11:56 AM, said:

Enjoyed the first one, so why not?

'Twas quite enjoyable, if a little ... modern. A nice, light 2 hours. They all looked like they were having fun.

Seven out of ten red etc herrings.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 November 2022 - 10:36 AM

#12337 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 November 2022 - 10:54 PM

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story — I liked it! It starts out kinda like Walk Hard, but eventually it has more bonkers humor that isn’t strictly biopic parody. The Hollywood pool party scene is a highlight, and the finale is very funny. It’s a little too long I think, but oh well.

Barbarian — I also liked this! First half is very creepy! It shifts gears a few times in unpredictable ways, and the latter half isn’t as scary, but it’s still very entertaining.

#12338 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 November 2022 - 02:49 PM

I deeply enjoyed Weird also. I thought the swerves into pieces of his real life story were quite funny and Radcliffe is - as usual - absolutely brilliant.

Evan Rachel Wood was super good and got the tone right.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12339 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 November 2022 - 04:36 PM

Where is weird available on?

#12340 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 November 2022 - 05:45 PM

The Roku Channel.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users