• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12261 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:40 AM

Yah Starsky & Hutch is underrated. Or not, I dunno, but I liked it back in the day. I haven't seen Baby Boy, but I should, it's always been on my list and I just never got around to it.

Snoop is tight in his small role in Training Day though, that one always gave me a kick.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12262 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:50 AM

'this is becoming a sort of trend in millennial/Gen Z sort of films, where the moral of the story is just everyone sucks all of the time. I kind of enjoy that, you know? It’s kind of fun to just watch all these characters be messy, but maybe that’s also because this is just what I’m used to in terms of the entertainment that people in my generation seek out and the way we communicate with each other.'

Bodies Bodies Bodies ending explained: members of Gen X and Gen Z debate

#theKidsAreAlright
#notAllSentientBeings(ofTheFuture...)

#12263 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:32 PM

PREY was really good - lively, occasionally gorgeous action movie that knows exactly what it is and gets us through at a brisk pace.

The choreography was pretty stellar and the ambiguity of "who is worse" between the predator and the colonialists was incredible.

I'll watch the full Comanche dub soon bc I want Hulu to see that people want that level of accessibility.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12264 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:39 PM

I'm watching Spenser Confidential on Netflix.

I like this film. The story is more than familiar but the characters and writing make it fun.

I especially love the antagonistic relationship between Spenser and his ex. She's fucking crazy.

I'd honestly prefer a spin-off that's just Mark Walberg and this blond lady arguing with each other in a Boston accent.

#12265 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:06 PM

Finished Spenser. Ok crime film but nothing to write home about. You can definitely tell it's based on book writing but it plays like a TV-pilot.

#12266 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:22 PM

Is it the same character as Spenser for Hire? Sounds like it.

#12267 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 August 2022 - 04:12 AM

Yes, apparently there's been multiple iterations and even a new author that took over the book series.

#12268 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:19 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 August 2022 - 10:02 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 11 August 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 August 2022 - 05:05 PM, said:

The first trilogy was pretty great (the first movie was the best of them) but the one with Jeremy Renner was forgettable and a bit pointless. I've not seen the fifth one.

I wouldn't call it forgettable, I thought it was decent enough.

I will agree, though, that it was pointless.

I don't remember a single thing about it haha.

MK it's kind of an anti-James Bond. I don't want to ruin too much but it's a really cool concept. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after the first one.

Watched it. I liked it. Agree, cool concept, but not without some 'suspend disbelief' moments. Not a lot of those moments, and not unexpected for an action spy thriller from circa early 2000s. In fact I think action movies of today have gone over board with the absurd action sequences. So it was refreshing to see mostly believable action executed with practical stunt work for the most part. Matt Damon must have done some intense training to prepare for the role. But yeah, fun thriller, with interesting elements of Bourne's spy skillset employed to propel things forward to the conclusion. I'm going to have to continue on with the next movie.

Side observation (1) - quite a few actors of some renown who had parts in the Bourne Identity. Movie is from 2002 I think? So I think a good chunk of them were not as well known.

Side observation (2) - oh man, I kind of loathe that end credits song by Moby. The lyrics to that song are corny af.

#12269 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 August 2022 - 07:05 PM

Rewatching The Equalizer. It's higher budget than I remember. I don't know if it was the Walmart location but I had more of a B-movie recollection of the film.

I love all the little hints around Denzel Washington's character. He doesn't say much but his attention to detail is fun.

#12270 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 August 2022 - 08:10 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 August 2022 - 06:39 PM, said:

I'm watching Spenser Confidential on Netflix.

I like this film. The story is more than familiar but the characters and writing make it fun.

I especially love the antagonistic relationship between Spenser and his ex. She's fucking crazy.

I'd honestly prefer a spin-off that's just Mark Walberg and this blond lady arguing with each other in a Boston accent.

I actually really like that movie. It's a no-thrills-no-frills and no weird nonsense crime movie. Nothing special, true, but that's what makes it so enjoyable.

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12271 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 August 2022 - 09:35 PM

On a whim I started watching The 9th Gate. I don't think I've watched this film since it came out in the 90s but I remember really liking it.

Couple of observations.

This is a Roman Polanski movie! I didn't think I'd actually ever seen a Polanski movie until now. Feel sort icky watching the film.

Sort of peculiar atmosphere. Feels eerie in places. Almost like a comedy in others. Johnny Depp is playing it pretty straight.

This film has something like a 43% on rotten tomatoes. I thought this film was well liked or maybe it's more of a cult thing now a days.

Lots of interesting details at the start if you know the plot and ending. Noticed that the guy that hires Depp's character, types in 666 as an elevator code.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 August 2022 - 09:36 PM

#12272 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 20 August 2022 - 10:57 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 August 2022 - 07:05 PM, said:

Rewatching The Equalizer. It's higher budget than I remember. I don't know if it was the Walmart location but I had more of a B-movie recollection of the film.

I love all the little hints around Denzel Washington's character. He doesn't say much but his attention to detail is fun.

This has a recent tv series I believe as well if your interested. I could be wrong on that.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#12273 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 August 2022 - 11:32 PM

'Nope' was disappointing. I loved 'Get Out' and 'Us' was good too, but Nope just didnt land for me. I like the concept, it had a very Lovecraftian vibe to it, but in the end it was visually great but storywise terribly disjointed and uninspired. A real shame.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12274 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:32 AM

Four genre movies, dunno if anyone has any interest in:
Umma -- one of those metaphor horror movies like Babadook or It Follows, in this one the metaphor is generational trauma. Stars Sandra Oh and Dylan McDermott and some teenagers. First hour is solid, if conventional haunted house stuff. Performances are good, though it feels like a decent made-for-TV (or Netflix) movie. Final third falls apart as it abandons scares to turn into a therapy session. Disappointing.

They/Them (aka They Slash Them) -- Summer camp slasher movie set in a conversion therapy camp setting, an excellent idea. Has Kevin Bacon in it, for the camp slasher bona fides. First hour is playful with summer camp conventions and I enjoyed it, though it's largely devoid of the slasher stuff. Then the final half hour is full of slasher stuff, nearly all of it bungled, and a downright terrible finale that really damages everything that came before. Starts better and falls further than Umma, for an even bigger disappointment ultimately.
Save Yourselves! -- Sci-fi/comedy predicated on an alien invasion in which the leading couple are off the grid for a week on vacation at a cabin, so they don't know what's happening to the rest of the world. Kinda funny, kinda quirky, kinda NYC hipster spoofy. On the same level of like Safety Not Guaranteed in terms of indie budget and feel. I'd call it cute and engaging, but not really a must-see or anything.

Hatching -- Finnish modern fairy tale/horror about tweenage girl and her family, who are all living under the thumb of the mom who is a social media influencer whose mode is 'perfect suburban family'. The daughter finds a mysterious egg, which grows and eventually hatches something you don't see everyday, and then some pretty creepy (if not necessarily scary) stuff ensues. Not perfect but I liked it, and it's definitely the best of this bunch.

#12275 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2022 - 09:45 PM

Don't Breathe 2 -- as opposed to the very good, very tense first one, this is more of a schlocky action/thriller with some decent close-quarters violence. That said, it's all soured by the decision to
Spoiler

#12276 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 August 2022 - 10:40 PM

Bought my son the Resident Evil movie collection today. I just am really fucking tired of GTA 5 and he actually seems excited about this franchise so this is a good investment for my sanity.

#12277 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 August 2022 - 05:59 PM

Looks entertaining. The Joe Biden character creeping on the actress that got bounced off that Star Wars show is what really seals the deal for me. Day 1 watch; appointment booked.

#12278 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 August 2022 - 06:29 PM

Looks hideous
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12279 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 28 August 2022 - 11:47 PM

Looks hilarious.

#12280 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 28 August 2022 - 11:54 PM

Ugh only 3 days remaining for A Few Dollars More. I’m at the 51 minutes mark. I just can’t get into this one. Reminds me of Micheal Winslow’s kung fu routine and it’s distracting me.

Ok I ll admit I did just like the meeting of Eastwood and the Colonel’s characters. Amusing indeed.

Definitely improving from that point on so that’s good. Will tune back in after House of Dragons ep 2.

This post has been edited by Cancelled: 29 August 2022 - 12:28 AM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users