• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 July 2022 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2022 - 05:56 PM, said:

TPM?

The Phantom Menace.

AKA
King Cartoony-CGI/Greenscreen love fest.

I don't love The Phantom Menace... BUT it is the best Star Wars film I think we can all agree.

#12222 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:15 AM

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2022 - 06:35 PM, said:

TPM?

The Phantom Menace.

AKA

I don't love The Phantom Menace... BUT it is the best Star Wars film I think we can all agree.

Haven't you heard, QT is all about The Last Jedi now!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12223 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 July 2022 - 11:54 AM

View PostAbyss, on 07 July 2022 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 July 2022 - 01:39 PM, said:

Started off as not a fan of this version of the Turtles, but I ended up liking the show after giving it more of a chance, so this is cream for me and looks really cool to boot!

I have a long running love for the Turtles all the way back to the original Eastman and Laird b&w floppies little me read off the rack at the LCS, and i've kept an open mind about all the various versions since with various degrees of like/dislike... i can even accept the teeth/fangs... but goddammit i HATE that Raphael. He's a damn ninja assassin, not a tank.

Can't be seen if you intimidate everything around you into shutting the fuck up and pretending they didn't see you. Like a CHA based orc rogue.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#12224 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:31 PM

Took my daughter to see MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU....her choice (we've seen all the Despicable Me movies and enjoyed them)...and she liked it...but yeah as an adult who really enjoyed the Despicable movies, this was a rote, By-the-numbers schlock and a very boring entry. I was checking my watch by the last half hour to make sure it was ending soon. I don't expect kids movies to blow me away, but I mean like ENCANTO and MOANA and even the most recent HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA flick were entertaining to me as an adult...this was just weak.

The other two choices I'd given her were LIGHTYEAR and PAWS OF FURY....I dunno if either of them would have been better.

Anyways, kids will like it, and it's got a sort of retro fun since it takes place in the 70's...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12225 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2022 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uh... your ominion, man!" -- Quote from my tie-in novel, The Grude Abides.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12226 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 July 2022 - 07:09 PM

Got around to watching The Batman. I enjoyed it. Didn't blow me away or anything but it was good. I think it does an excellent job with creating a seedy, crime infested Gotham or at least the feel of a dangerous city (resulting in beautifully framed and shot scenes that convey that vibe). Which is the perfect backdrop for a noirish, crime story that kept me engaged for three hours, which didn't seem all that bad as far as movie length because the film was compelling enough. There were some issues, sure, but overall I liked it. 3.5 emo Batman smokey eye looks out of 5.

#12227 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 July 2022 - 03:35 AM

Just leaving this here for Apt:

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12228 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:09 AM

I saw that and it looks awesome.

I hope it's great. Stallone has gotten old but it tickles me to see the old action heroes still trying.

#12229 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:02 PM

Also watched that Mortal Kombat movie that came out last year (or was it the year prior?). It's good for some of the fight sequences and the sfx associated with those scenes. More violent and gory than I was expecting. But yeesh, the plot is rudimentary fare and the acting is pretty poor. I enjoyed it for the nostalgia aspect and the fight scenes, but that's about it. It's set up to continue; not sure how well the movie did so not sure if they will ever deliver another one with this production... probably will though.

#12230 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:37 PM

It's already been confirmed.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12231 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:45 PM

Watched the new Thor film, thought it was very average, I was disappointed tbh for what could have been. The humour/tone of the film just didn't suit either the Jane or Gorr storylines. We needed to see a lot more of Gorr doing his thing too for it to work but instead we got the Godsville event. I know serious is not really Taika's style but for me this film just didn't really work...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12232 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:49 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 31 July 2022 - 03:35 AM, said:

Just leaving this here for Apt:

That looks fun

#12233 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:16 AM

You know a movie is a steaming turd when the company refuses to release it and it cost $140 million (AUD).

https://www.news.com...8b4cbb3b4f2e9ae

$100m Batgirl film reportedly ‘shelved’ by DC Comics
In a ‘DC Comics Disaster’, the upcoming Batgirl movie has performed so poorly during test screenings, it will reportedly never be released.

-----------------------------

Never say never though I guess, because we all know movie execs are right up there with politicians and used car salesmen as far as sticking to their word.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12234 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 August 2022 - 09:07 AM

It's probably really good, which would explain why it bounced off DCEU fans so hard.

#12235 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 August 2022 - 05:31 PM

View Postworry, on 03 August 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

It's probably really good, which would explain why it bounced off DCEU fans so hard.

Ooh I sense a juicy QT post oncoming :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12236 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 August 2022 - 08:03 PM

I kid, I kid. From what I'm reading, it has less to do with whether this particular movie is good or bad and is rather because the Discovery/Warner Bros. merger has left a madman at the helm who is deliberately trying to destroy HBO Max. For instance, he's also cannibalizing existing, HBO-produced/owned movies from the service: https://screenrant.c...moved-moonshot/
Expect less (and eventually zero) new original content on HBO Max (or whatever it turns into) aside from reality shows.

#12237 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 August 2022 - 12:17 AM

What the hell. There's going to be a reboot of Road House? With Conor McGregor in it? My reaction to that news is this will probably be a resounding pee-ew on the stinker scale.

#12238 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 August 2022 - 06:18 PM

Prey is a big success. It doesn’t beat the original imo but it’s lean and mean and remains relatively clever start to finish. It’s a big deal to finally get a Predator movie this good again.

#12239 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2022 - 01:08 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 July 2022 - 11:15 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2022 - 06:35 PM, said:

TPM?

The Phantom Menace.

AKA

Haven't you heard, QT is all about The Last Jedi now!

He's not wrong! I like it a LOT now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12240 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2022 - 01:10 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 03 August 2022 - 08:16 AM, said:

You know a movie is a steaming turd when the company refuses to release it and it cost $140 million (AUD).

https://www.news.com...8b4cbb3b4f2e9ae

$100m Batgirl film reportedly ‘shelved’ by DC Comics
In a ‘DC Comics Disaster’, the upcoming Batgirl movie has performed so poorly during test screenings, it will reportedly never be released.

-----------------------------

Never say never though I guess, because we all know movie execs are right up there with politicians and used car salesmen as far as sticking to their word.

View Postworry, on 03 August 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 03 August 2022 - 08:03 PM, said:

I kid, I kid. From what I'm reading, it has less to do with whether this particular movie is good or bad and is rather because the Discovery/Warner Bros. merger has left a madman at the helm who is deliberately trying to destroy HBO Max. For instance, he's also cannibalizing existing, HBO-produced/owned movies from the service: https://screenrant.c...moved-moonshot/
Expect less (and eventually zero) new original content on HBO Max (or whatever it turns into) aside from reality shows.

Yeah, I hear that it's very much a case of the new Discovery WB Head acting like a complete madman and shifting a bunch of shit, cutting a bunch of shit, and getting largely rid of scripted HBO Max stuff...it sounds like a complete shitshow over there.

I feel bad for the people who put all that work into stuff like BATGIRL, with actors and crew who have done nothing whatsoever wrong...while FLASH still seems to be on with Ezra Miller essentially being a future True Crime Podcast waiting to happen...

-----------------

As for me, on my week off I watched:

LIGHTYEAR: It's really solidly good. I have no idea what the people who didn't like it, didn't like it for...I much enjoyed it and found little to no issue with it. It's not exactly reinventing the wheel, but a very fun flick that the kids and I enjoyed.

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE: This was amazing. My wife found it a little too "weird" and absurdist, but I found the family-focus of the whole thing was the most charming part about it and Michelle Yeoh, Key Huy Quan and Stephanie Hsu (Or let's not forget James frigging Wong!) were all uniformly excellent. I look forward to re-watches.

BE WATER: This was on Disney+ and was utterly excellent. As a Bruce Lee fan, it's a very good look at the racism he faced (systemic and otherwise) and how he went to HK to show Hollywood he was a force to be reckoned with (with 4 blockbuster hits there), getting him ENTER THE DRAGON....but to sadly die before seeing the phenomenon he became. GREAT Doc, fully endorsed and produced by his daughter.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 August 2022 - 01:12 PM

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users