• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12201 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2022 - 04:13 PM

Some of the more dated and problematic attitudes of the older content (particularly to do with race) have been addressed in the revamped recent versions - the drow and other races being presented as almost universally evil is one example, Curse of Strahd was reworked to address issues with the portrayal of the Vhistani within it and I suspect there will be similar things when the new Spelljammer and Dragonlance setting books land later this year.

For the new film to ignore all that and potetially reopen the can of worms would be pretty silly, imo.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 23 July 2022 - 04:15 PM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#12202 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2022 - 07:52 PM

Never thought of the Drow in that way until reading this thread. I rather enjoyed reading tales of their society and was transfixed by their worship of Lolth and their cavernous demesne, Men-Zo-Barren-Zan. (had to phonetic that sumbitch). I think there's too much reading into it personally. Basically I think it plays more into dark and light / evil and good deal, but maybe that's the point? dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The latest season of Atlanta deals with the subject matter in an episode where, while Earn, Paper Boi, and Darius are traveling through Europe during the Christmas holidays, people dressed up like Zwarte Piet are present in scenes throughout the episode.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 23 July 2022 - 08:04 PM

#12203 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:44 PM

View Postworry, on 23 July 2022 - 02:48 PM, said:

I don't think that was the case. From memory, it got caught up in a self-audit by networks, streamers, and creators about the absolute glut of actual, literal blackface appearing in quite a few shows even in recent years. While a few creators made certain decisions themselves (e.g. Tina Fey, Greg Daniels), needless to say corporations responded by doing ax-over-scalpal damage control rather than actually engaging in the discussion. In any case, this was largely a top-down flurry of decisions, good or bad, and at no point was there a woke mob lined up at NBC's or Netflix's doors with a list of sitcom episodes they wanted stricken from history. Not even for Little Britain, which deserves to be Eternal Sunshined from our memories as a mercy to all mankind.

OK, did not know any of that at all. I guess it's mostly because I did most of my D&D-ing waaaaay back in the 80s and early 90s when it wasn't an issue. I'd believe the company might have gone into proactive damage control to head off the potential of an online lynch mob before there was actual pushback though I guess. I don't read the industry journals or social media on this stuff except for what you guys link so I guess it would be fairly easy for that stuff to pass me by.

Agreed on Little Britain though. Aside from any cultural etc complaints it just wasn't funny at all IMHO.

View Postamphibian, on 23 July 2022 - 03:28 PM, said:

That Community episode did get caught up in the sweep of "we gotta get the actual black face horribleness off because this stuff is shameful and embarrassing". There's still a big point to be recognized that setting the drow up to be almost all evil was a bigoted thing back when these things were decided. A careful look at Gygax and many of the other creators of this kind of stuff reveals bigotry that has slowly and unevenly addressed over decades.

Like I said above, I genuinely missed all that stuff. Just read references to there being a D&D episode I never got around to seeing. Huh, there you go. Might have to do some Googling on the subject. Any suggestions?

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 23 July 2022 - 04:13 PM, said:

Some of the more dated and problematic attitudes of the older content (particularly to do with race) have been addressed in the revamped recent versions - the drow and other races being presented as almost universally evil is one example, Curse of Strahd was reworked to address issues with the portrayal of the Vhistani within it and I suspect there will be similar things when the new Spelljammer and Dragonlance setting books land later this year. For the new film to ignore all that and potetially reopen the can of worms would be pretty silly, imo.

Fair enough, see above.

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 July 2022 - 07:52 PM, said:

Never thought of the Drow in that way until reading this thread. I rather enjoyed reading tales of their society and was transfixed by their worship of Lolth and their cavernous demesne, Men-Zo-Barren-Zan. (had to phonetic that sumbitch). I think there's too much reading into it personally. Basically I think it plays more into dark and light / evil and good deal, but maybe that's the point? dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯The latest season of Atlanta deals with the subject matter in an episode where, while Earn, Paper Boi, and Darius are traveling through Europe during the Christmas holidays, people dressed up like Zwarte Piet are present in scenes throughout the episode.

Yeah, when I was reading it I just liked the stories and characters, that other stuff just never occurred to me. Shows my vintage I guess.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 July 2022 - 08:45 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12204 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:23 AM

If Belwar Dissengulp doesn't make a cameo, we riot.

Spoiler

#12205 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:08 PM

Watching the Grey Man on Netflix.

Mediocre action thriller so far. Okay story with terrible dialogue and forgettable characters. This kind of film was done better in the 80s.

Two observations:

1. How the hell does this cost 200 million dollars? No wonder Netflix is losing money.

2. I've never understood the appeal of Ryan Gosling. Sure he's fine in some roles but he's got the charisma of Droopy the Dog and I don't get his look in this film.

Edit: finished the Grey Man.

Some cool action sequences in there but boy is this a terrible attempt at making one of these films. Gosling is not cut out to be an action hero.

At least Chris Evans seemed to have fun with his character.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 24 July 2022 - 06:12 PM

#12206 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:17 PM

My Marvel Movie updates!
I think I already mentioned Venom 2 was bad.

I watched Spider-Man: No Way Home -- it was pretty good, on par with the other Spider-Mans.
I watched Doctor Strange M-M-M-Madness -- it was pretty bad, though there was some cool Sam Raimi flare here and there (& Bruce Campbell's little bit was great). In broad strokes it was a good story, it just wasn't very well written or acted.

Haven't watched Thor 4 yet.

I watched the trailer for Wakanda Forever -- it's hands down the best trailer the MCU has produced and I hope the movie lives up to it.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12207 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:23 PM

Gray Man, huh? Blood flow issues?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12208 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:58 PM

View Postworry, on 24 July 2022 - 06:17 PM, said:

My Marvel Movie updates!
I think I already mentioned Venom 2 was bad.

I watched Spider-Man: No Way Home -- it was pretty good, on par with the other Spider-Mans.
I watched Doctor Strange M-M-M-Madness -- it was pretty bad, though there was some cool Sam Raimi flare here and there (& Bruce Campbell's little bit was great). In broad strokes it was a good story, it just wasn't very well written or acted.

Haven't watched Thor 4 yet.

I watched the trailer for Wakanda Forever -- it's hands down the best trailer the MCU has produced and I hope the movie lives up to it.

Agreed with you on Dr Strange 2 - I felt it could have done with a lot more multiverse traversing rather than "the same set but with flowers" and the best part of the film was when the two of them travelled through a bunch of them one after the other.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12209 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:00 PM

Continuing my watch of dubious Netflix Movies, I'm watching Red Notice.

This film actually has an interesting quality to it. It sort of reminds me of a less charming Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill film. Unfortunately the Rock seems really tired in this film and the manuscript isn't really playing to the strengths of his character. Ryan Reynolds is basically carrying the film.

#12210 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 July 2022 - 08:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 July 2022 - 05:08 PM, said:

Watching the Grey Man on Netflix.Mediocre action thriller so far. Okay story with terrible dialogue and forgettable characters. This kind of film was done better in the 80s.Two observations:1. How the hell does this cost 200 million dollars? No wonder Netflix is losing money.2. I've never understood the appeal of Ryan Gosling. Sure he's fine in some roles but he's got the charisma of Droopy the Dog and I don't get his look in this film.Edit: finished the Grey Man. Some cool action sequences in there but boy is this a terrible attempt at making one of these films. Gosling is not cut out to be an action hero.At least Chris Evans seemed to have fun with his character.

View PostAptorian, on 24 July 2022 - 07:00 PM, said:

Continuing my watch of dubious Netflix Movies, I'm watching Red Notice.This film actually has an interesting quality to it. It sort of reminds me of a less charming Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill film. Unfortunately the Rock seems really tired in this film and the manuscript isn't really playing to the strengths of his character. Ryan Reynolds is basically carrying the film.

I've seen both and ... I agree. I feel dirty. And not in the fun way. :apt:

You're pretty much on the money for both IMHO. Especially The Gray Man points. I think half the budget was when they trashed Prague and the other half was paying the top 6 actors (Gosling, Evans, Thornton, Henwick, de Armas and Old Mate Bridgerton - Rege-Jean Page). I hope Alfre Woodward made good coin because she was wasted.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12211 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 July 2022 - 04:35 AM

Watched Greyman last night and enjoyed it, switched the brain off and ate the popcorn. I like Gosling and thought he was good in it, Evans was clearly loving it. 200m budget is ridiculous thoughts Netflix needs accountants more than stars right now.

We watched red notice a right while back, Reynolds stole the show but again we enjoyed, in a switch of the brain and eat the popcorn way

#12212 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 July 2022 - 08:55 AM

So SDCC had trailers for Sandman, the new Shazam, John Wick 4, Black Panther 2 and Black Adam (all now available on youtube etc). Trailers look OK but here's hoping the full products aren't shit.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 July 2022 - 08:59 AM

#12213 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 July 2022 - 12:14 PM

I have now watched the D&D trailer about 15 times, and I'm completely, unequivocally on board.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12214 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 July 2022 - 12:56 PM

I think the effects look like shit in the D&D trailer. But there's also an Owlbear and a gelatinous cube in there so it gets my approval.

#12215 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 July 2022 - 02:18 PM

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2022 - 12:56 PM, said:

I think the effects look like shit in the D&D trailer.

I mean the head/senior SFX tech on the thing has long pedigree with MCU films, and a bunch of prestige HBO effects work like THE PACIFIC under her belt...

I would love to know what effects you think look like shit...it all looks really top tier to me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 July 2022 - 04:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12216 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:13 PM

Rewatching the D&D trailer, it's not so much the effects (Though that fireball/forcefield scene is garbage) it's that everything looks like it's green screen on a shoe string budget.

#12217 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:46 PM

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2022 - 05:13 PM, said:

Rewatching the D&D trailer, it's not so much the effects (Though that fireball/forcefield scene is garbage) it's that everything looks like it's green screen on a shoe string budget.

I'm not sure what you're smoking...

But very fully built sets, a bunch of practical locations that would not look out of place in the LOTR films, and really dynamic looking effects (including the fireball being deflected by the force shield)....all look tight to me.

Also, don't you love TPM?

#12218 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:56 PM

TPM?

#12219 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:16 PM

View PostAptorian, on 25 July 2022 - 05:56 PM, said:

TPM?

The Phantom Menace.

AKA
King Cartoony-CGI/Greenscreen love fest.

#12220 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 July 2022 - 06:23 PM

I'm watching in the Shadow of the Moon on Netflix.

This is a cool film in a weird sort of way. It's rare that I watch a film and have no clue where the story is going.

It's about a series of what appear to be weird and random gruesome murders. They catch the killer they think and then it happens again 9 years later.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users