• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12241 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 February 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

Birds of Prey is probably my favourite DCEU movie though.

Man I didn't like BOP...I dunno why. I tried really hard to like it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#12242 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 February 2021 - 06:22 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 February 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

Birds of Prey is probably my favourite DCEU movie though.

Man I didn't like BOP...I dunno why. I tried really hard to like it.

I mean I can see why the tone would get on some people's nerves. Also the big fight scene in the theme park fell well short of its ambition, which was weird coz other action in the movie was probably the best action in terms of choerography etc the DCEU has seen so far.

But for me it hit as a sort of antisuperheroic Snatch. Lotta fun.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12243 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:55 PM

Shazam was ace. Just lots of fun.

Justice League was so boring I can't even begin to care about the Snyder cut.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12244 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:52 PM

This is how ZSJL is being pitched in Oz. Make of it what you will.

https://www.news.com...436e6ff899e054a
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesnít work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12245 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:31 PM

Finally watched Jo Jo Rabbit. It has left me in pieces. I read a lot of pre-movie stuff on it so it has been on my to watch list and I thought I knew what to expect. I was curious but didn't really get it. It's so good. It's a really good movie for showing you how war and bigotry just kind of creeps up on people. I think if I had seen it in 2019 I wouldn't be so moved - I would have thought it was a very clever film but of not much relevance to me. But with how much that has changed in life over the last 12 months I found it kind of fundamentally terrifying.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12246 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:07 AM

Not to sidestep the Jo Jo post and the heartfelt terror within, but here's more comic book nonsense:

I forgot I watched Birds of Prey. I thought it was on par with Shazam...entertaining but not emotionally gripping (even in a popcorn flick sense), which is fine. That's what I get out of the Ant-Man movies (which I liked more, but still).

In terms of whether DCEU should be like MCU, I don't really mind either way. If the four choices are 1) Like MCU & Good, 2) Like MCU & Bad, 3) Unlike MCU & Good, 4) Unlike MCU & Bad, I'd be equally fine with either 1 or 3. I thought Shazam was on the lower end of category 1, and I was also contrasting it with the bulk of the DCEU, which fall into category 4.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12247 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:51 PM

Mezla PigDog, on 19 February 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

Finally watched Jo Jo Rabbit. It has left me in pieces. I read a lot of pre-movie stuff on it so it has been on my to watch list and I thought I knew what to expect. I was curious but didn't really get it. It's so good. It's a really good movie for showing you how war and bigotry just kind of creeps up on people. I think if I had seen it in 2019 I wouldn't be so moved - I would have thought it was a very clever film but of not much relevance to me. But with how much that has changed in life over the last 12 months I found it kind of fundamentally terrifying.

Is that the Taika Waititi film about Hitler? That's very much high on my list of need to watch films.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12248 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:53 PM

Tiste Simeon, on 20 February 2021 - 06:51 PM, said:

Mezla PigDog, on 19 February 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

Is that the Taika Waititi film about Hitler? That's very much high on my list of need to watch films.

That's the one. But if your kid is even remotely blonde or curly then you need to steal yourself. And if not then as a human steal yourself anyway.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12249 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:17 AM

Shazam!

Loved it. I can see it falling into the classic category. The kind of movie that is viewed annually, like a Sand Lot or Goonies. Loved that it wasn't a star driven movie either, so not to be distracted by some arrogant A lister's "process" in delivering a performance. Thought the guy from Chuck was a great choice in that regard. Really enjoyed the foster family dynamic. The little girl was too cute. The movie has an adorable sweetness that makes it irresistible. There's going to be a Shazam! 2, right?

Aww
Spoiler

S - The Wisdom of Solomon
H - The Strength of Hercules
A - The Stamina of Atlas
Z - The Power of Zeus
A - The Courage of Achilles
M - The Speed of Mercury

#12250 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Heads up that Disney + has added Disney Star in places like Canada (and I THINK the UK and Europe...in the States, sorry guys, you get Hulu access apparently)...which is adult content movies that Disney owns. Tonne of stuff on there.

BUT, you have to change your profile "rating allowances" to TV-MA and R to see the whole catalogue, because the profiles default to the Y-14 rating setting, which won't give you full access, so set it to R/MA and you'll get everything.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: Yesterday, 02:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#12251 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

When does this take effect? I canít go higher than TV 14 in my settings right now.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#12252 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2021 - 04:47 PM, said:

When does this take effect? I canít go higher than TV 14 in my settings right now.

You won't get access to Star in the States, because you have Hulu apparently attached to your D+ instead? I think anyways.

But the content setting is in the Profile "Edit" part of the app.

#12253 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 PM

I donít see Hulu. I keep trying to get in my settings but I canít find TV MA. Iím topped at 14.

Hmm

#12254 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

From what Iím seeing is Dis should have asked me if I wanted to set to 18+ on loading up for the 1st time. Maybe it just hasnít hit for me yet?

I did download Hulu just now separate so maybe that was holding me back. Will try again.

#12255 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted Yesterday, 05:43 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2021 - 05:11 PM, said:

From what Iím seeing is Dis should have asked me if I wanted to set to 18+ on loading up for the 1st time. Maybe it just hasnít hit for me yet?

I did download Hulu just now separate so maybe that was holding me back. Will try again.

Hmmm.

Well on mine, in the App I went to my profile image, and then clicked EDIT PROFILES, clicked on my profile, and then "content Rating" and then changed it there.

That said, Disney+ Star panel comes up and has content even if you don't have the rating set up to R/MA...it just doesn't have the complete catalogue unless you ratings change, but the panel itself is still on the app next to Marvel and Star Wars and the rest of the panels.

Oh, I googled it to find out for you...turns out that Disney+ Star is free and included for international D+ subscribers...but was created as a way to give everyone access to what you al have on Hulu in the States (because we can't have access to Hulu)...and you still have to pay for the separate Hulu account if you want it...

TL;DR: You guys got screwed while the rest of us got a bunch of content. Which hardly seems fair, especially if you have to pay extra. Maybe there is a D+ Hulu bundle? I dunno.

#12256 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 PM

There is a bundle yes. That seems like a massive fucking screw for us if your getting all that for free.

Fuckers are even hiking the price up on Dis next month to..

#12257 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Capitalism baby yeah!

#12258 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Motherless Brooklyn.

Interesting flick. Wasn't blown away by it, but it's got a tried and true formula with the interesting dynamic of Tourette syndrome thrown in the mix. Not going say anything about it and instead leave it up to you to investigate if your interest has been piqued. For something different, give it a go.

Share this topic:

• 613 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users