• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12181 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:15 PM

Is he a masochist? If not, perhaps gently suggest a different course of action for the evening. There are films that are so bad it becomes funny and you can watch them in a sort of ironic way and giggle at the over the top badness. This is not that sort of film. This is just physical pain wrapped in celluloid. And then set on fire. And the CGI could have been improved by letting my 1-year old nephew loose on it with a marker pen and some playdough.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12182 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 July 2022 - 07:38 PM, said:

Okay so the trailer makes me feel a bit better. IF this hits the right balance it COULD be good.

Also, the druid character DOES have horns, but is not mean tot be a Tiefling, so I'm good on that front too.

This vid is private for some reason -- one of QT's bigwig Hollywood insider friends probably -- but I did find the trailer on another account. It feels kinda Guardians of the Galaxy-light imo, but not necessarily in a way that spells disaster. So yah, maybe a 'wait for streaming, but not half bad' kinda deal.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12183 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:44 PM

View PostGorefest, on 21 July 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

Is he a masochist? If not, perhaps gently suggest a different course of action for the evening. There are films that are so bad it becomes funny and you can watch them in a sort of ironic way and giggle at the over the top badness. This is not that sort of film. This is just physical pain wrapped in celluloid. And then set on fire. And the CGI could have been improved by letting my 1-year old nephew loose on it with a marker pen and some playdough.

Having said I'd mentioned it on here, he said he used to enjoy watching NIcholas Cage films because they're often objectively bad but entertaining, and then didn't appear to believe me when I said that's not a valid comparison for how bad this film is. He's seen the Jeremy Irons Overacting Scale thing on Youtube and I don't think I can quite convey that that's the entire highlights of the film, there is nothing more.

Unequivocally, he's doomed. Pray for us.

That trailer makes me feel a lot more positive than the first look thing. I think worry is bang on with the Guardians of the Galaxy-esque vibe, it looks like it knows it's ridiculous and is leaning in - which is a way smarter take than the Irons film trying desperately to be taken seriously.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#12184 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:48 PM

On the plus side, if your relationship survives this I think you're definitely onto a winner with Mr Not-A-Blacksmith!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12185 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:50 PM

Points for Owlbear, Mimic and Displacer beast. Back in the day, one of my favorite ways to pass time when there was nothing else to do was to study the Advanced D&D Monster Manual. But, yeeesh/cringe, it doesn't look all that great. If nothing else, might be a fun experience to see what else they incorporate into the flick from old school D&D sources.

#12186 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 July 2022 - 10:04 PM

View Postworry, on 21 July 2022 - 08:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 July 2022 - 07:38 PM, said:

Okay so the trailer makes me feel a bit better. IF this hits the right balance it COULD be good.

Also, the druid character DOES have horns, but is not mean tot be a Tiefling, so I'm good on that front too.

This vid is private for some reason -- one of QT's bigwig Hollywood insider friends probably -- but I did find the trailer on another account. It feels kinda Guardians of the Galaxy-light imo, but not necessarily in a way that spells disaster. So yah, maybe a 'wait for streaming, but not half bad' kinda deal.

It was a very early leaker so I’m not surprised it got yanked when it went up officially.

And yeah, it TOTALLY gave me GOTG vibes and if they can nail that balance then it might actually be good.

I’ll be cautiously optimistic for now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12187 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 July 2022 - 03:21 AM

Fuuuuu. I was content to ignore this as another probable shitshow. But i'll definitely watch it now, if nothing else but for the owlbear.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12188 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 July 2022 - 04:33 AM

I mean, Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez arw two pretty big names, and they seem to have thrown a budget at the cgi.

Buuuutttttt DnD one was sooooo bad

#12189 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 July 2022 - 11:48 AM

I'm seeing cynical Thor Ragnarok rip off elements with the Led Zep song, Hugh Grant = the Grand Master, and the big leap at the end.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12190 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2022 - 04:39 PM

No one warned me!

I watched twenty minutes of morbius on the plane. It made the flight feel twice as long! Was this a serious movie? Did they have to put something out just to keep the IP rights. Story-bad, acting-terrible, cast-bad.

#12191 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 July 2022 - 07:55 PM

View PostCause, on 22 July 2022 - 04:39 PM, said:

No one warned me!

I watched twenty minutes of morbius on the plane. It made the flight feel twice as long! Was this a serious movie? Did they have to put something out just to keep the IP rights. Story-bad, acting-terrible, cast-bad.

Did the fact that they memed to that film so much that Sony decided to re-release it in cinemas thinking that everyone liked it, only to suffer losses a second time not give you a hint? ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12192 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2022 - 08:39 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 July 2022 - 07:55 PM, said:

No one warned me!

Did the fact that they memed to that film so much that Sony decided to re-release it in cinemas thinking that everyone liked it, only to suffer losses a second time not give you a hint? ;)

I missed this whole fiasco entirely. Does he actually say the line morbin time in the movie? Outloud? Or was that made up for the meme. It has to be the meme. Right? RIGHT?

#12193 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 23 July 2022 - 07:08 AM

View PostCause, on 22 July 2022 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 July 2022 - 07:55 PM, said:

No one warned me!

I missed this whole fiasco entirely. Does he actually say the line morbin time in the movie? Outloud? Or was that made up for the meme. It has to be the meme. Right? RIGHT?

I'm fairly sure that was part of the mockery haha. Once it flopped the second time a petition sprang up to try and get them to release it a third time stating "we were all busy that weekend"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12194 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:28 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 July 2022 - 03:45 PM, said:

This is supposed to be based on the Forgotten Realms universe I THINK?....but even so...this looks rank. And if you're going to dive into Faerun without Drizzt, you've already lost fans.

Not using Drizzt is the way to go, because Drow Elves are a non-starter these days. The shitstorm would be immense.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12195 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 July 2022 - 11:16 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 23 July 2022 - 08:28 AM, said:

This is supposed to be based on the Forgotten Realms universe I THINK?....but even so...this looks rank. And if you're going to dive into Faerun without Drizzt, you've already lost fans.

Not using Drizzt is the way to go, because Drow Elves are a non-starter these days. The shitstorm would be immense.

That’s a fair point.

Well as long as there’s a Tiefling.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12196 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 July 2022 - 12:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 July 2022 - 11:16 AM, said:

That’s a fair point.

Well as long as there’s a Tiefling.

Sorry, I don't get it. What's wrong with Drow? Well, besides the whole chaotic evil/torture/fucked up shit thing?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12197 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 23 July 2022 - 01:34 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 23 July 2022 - 12:39 PM, said:

That's a fair point.

Well as long as there's a Tiefling.

Sorry, I don't get it. What's wrong with Drow? Well, besides the whole chaotic evil/torture/fucked up shit thing?

It's a racial thing. If you go to Netflix to watch the D&D episode of Community, you won't find it. They removed it because of accusations of blackface.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12198 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:17 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 23 July 2022 - 01:34 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 23 July 2022 - 12:39 PM, said:

That's a fair point.

Well as long as there's a Tiefling.

It's a racial thing. If you go to Netflix to watch the D&D episode of Community, you won't find it. They removed it because of accusations of blackface.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, but that's just pathetic. Good grief some people get butthurt easily these days. :doh:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 July 2022 - 02:17 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12199 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:48 PM

I don't think that was the case. From memory, it got caught up in a self-audit by networks, streamers, and creators about the absolute glut of actual, literal blackface appearing in quite a few shows even in recent years. While a few creators made certain decisions themselves (e.g. Tina Fey, Greg Daniels), needless to say corporations responded by doing ax-over-scalpal damage control rather than actually engaging in the discussion. In any case, this was largely a top-down flurry of decisions, good or bad, and at no point was there a woke mob lined up at NBC's or Netflix's doors with a list of sitcom episodes they wanted stricken from history. Not even for Little Britain, which deserves to be Eternal Sunshined from our memories as a mercy to all mankind.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12200 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 July 2022 - 03:28 PM

That Community episode did get caught up in the sweep of "we gotta get the actual black face horribleness off because this stuff is shameful and embarrassing".

There's still a big point to be recognized that setting the drow up to be almost all evil was a bigoted thing back when these things were decided. A careful look at Gygax and many of the other creators of this kind of stuff reveals bigotry that has slowly and unevenly addressed over decades.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users