• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12141 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2022 - 10:14 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 25 June 2022 - 08:52 PM, said:

A lot of it is shot in silhouette which can only be to make Tom look decent next to all the youngsters. I said as much to my friend during the scene. I don't think you would get as many usable shots out of volleyball in silhouette. He still looks bloody good given his age but he's obviously not in his 20s anymore!

Makes sense. I know the Cruiser had a lot of control over the film, so I can see him ensuring scenes only put him in the best light.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 25 June 2022 - 10:15 PM

#12142 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 25 June 2022 - 11:02 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 June 2022 - 10:14 PM, said:

Finally got to see the new Top Gun movie. It's beyond description. I thought it started weak but by about 20 minutes in, there was a grin on my face that barely left until the end. I wanted to whoop at many points. There were late-middle aged men lining the corridor outside the screen almost weeping as we left!

I saw Top Gun Maverick recently as well. I like the original for the flying scenes more than anything else; I would dearly love the chance to try not to vomit in flight like that. I went into Maverick looking to be even more immersed in the flying than the first movie. I was pretty happy on that front, even with my high expectations. I'm not sure there is much more they could do on that. The story was simple enough but I didn't find anything to dislike about it, really, which was nice. In my opinion it stayed remarkably free of politics? The football scene...I don't know. They played with 2 balls being snapped, someone said something about playing offense and defense at the same time, for mental exercise or something? I've watched a lot of football and couldn't make sense of it. I could be talked into going to a theater to see it again and that's extremely rare for me anymore. The flying scenes are that good, now that I'm reflecting on it...

#12143 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:21 PM

I've a confession to make, Hocus Pocus is a guilty pleasure of mine. Don't watch it every Halloween season, but if it is on while I'm flipping around, I'll stop for a bit and enjoy. So I'm stoked for this.

#12144 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 June 2022 - 12:44 PM

I know it was mostly down to wardrobe and picked scene shooting, but Miles Teller absolutely nailed his role in Top Gun 2

#12145 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2022 - 09:07 PM

Just saw Top Gun 2 tonight, finally! I absolutely loved it, as someone who can pretty much quote the first film line for line there was so many scenes that gave me goosebumps. Will be going to see it again!

View PostMacros, on 29 June 2022 - 12:44 PM, said:

I know it was mostly down to wardrobe and picked scene shooting, but Miles Teller absolutely nailed his role in Top Gun 2

Agreed, especially him on the piano was like a mirror image.

This post has been edited by champ: 29 June 2022 - 10:08 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12146 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:42 PM

Watched Mad God, the 30-years-in-the making stop motion passion project from SFX lifer Phil Tippett. Kinda loved it. It's definitely a broody 'art film' -- wouldn't necessarily recommend for Valhalla Rising haters, for instance -- but if you got 80 minutes and are in the mood for some pretty raw, expertly crafted nightmare imagery about (for one example) the mechanized degradation and devaluation of life, this might be the movie for you.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12147 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 June 2022 - 03:23 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 25 June 2022 - 11:02 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 June 2022 - 10:14 PM, said:

Finally got to see the new Top Gun movie. It's beyond description. I thought it started weak but by about 20 minutes in, there was a grin on my face that barely left until the end. I wanted to whoop at many points. There were late-middle aged men lining the corridor outside the screen almost weeping as we left!

I saw Top Gun Maverick recently as well. I like the original for the flying scenes more than anything else; I would dearly love the chance to try not to vomit in flight like that. I went into Maverick looking to be even more immersed in the flying than the first movie. I was pretty happy on that front, even with my high expectations. I'm not sure there is much more they could do on that. The story was simple enough but I didn't find anything to dislike about it, really, which was nice. In my opinion it stayed remarkably free of politics? The football scene...I don't know. They played with 2 balls being snapped, someone said something about playing offense and defense at the same time, for mental exercise or something? I've watched a lot of football and couldn't make sense of it. I could be talked into going to a theater to see it again and that's extremely rare for me anymore. The flying scenes are that good, now that I'm reflecting on it...

View Postchamp, on 29 June 2022 - 09:07 PM, said:

Just saw Top Gun 2 tonight, finally! I absolutely loved it, as someone who can pretty much quote the first film line for line there was so many scenes that gave me goosebumps. Will be going to see it again!

Agreed, especially him on the piano was like a mirror image.

All agreed. They nailed the nostalgic sequel elements without sacrificing anything about the movie. Great fun to watch.

The 2-ball beach football... i like the theory but it would have made more sense with both teams driving for the same line so they had to work offence and defence in the same space. That's overthinking it tho, it was simply there because volleyball scene.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12148 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 June 2022 - 05:31 PM

Some conditions that must be met before I commit to watching Top Gun 2.

- Aviator glasses and leather flight jackets must be featured prominently.
- Towers must be buzzed (multiple times). Which causes the occupants to spill their coffee on themselves.
- A face to face posturing must be pulled off, whereby the antagonist lifts his aviator glasses and, nose to nose with the hero, snaps his teeth shut in his face.
- Soundtrack, how is the music and score? Is there a take my breath away scene? and a danger zone moment?
- After a day of intense training and classroom learning, hijinks in a bar ensue to blow off steam, where the recruits enjoy drunken fun and serenade women with song. Note: this will probably be updated so as not to upset sensibilities as it relates to current views of opposite (same?) sex relationships.
- Shirtless volleyball. Already confirmed, but now two way (wtf?) beach football.
- Super badass high performance sports motorcycle scene, were it is racing a jet down the runway.
- The line "I've got the need, the need for speed" must be included. Or an updated version, only if it is acceptably good.
- Pushing the limit of jet fighting/human capability to the point of danger/death.
- Uh, was there a larger threat in the original that was a backdrop for the film? I forget. Like the soviet union or something that justified the training? Is there one in this?
- Um what else? I'm sure there are some more.

Anyway, are most of these included?

#12149 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:10 PM

I saw No Time to Die. I think if it wasn't for one scene in the C17 (the renumbering that Bond doesn't give a shit about), this would have been my pick for the best ever Bond movie.

The rhythms worked very well to pull Craig Bond into being more human and connective from the half weirdly violent half debonair robot of the last several films. He has opinions, they're not all listened to, he's not right all the time, he's clearly using humor to cope with some horrible shit he's feeling, and the payoff with Swann worked a bit to rescue Spectre.

I was pretty impressed by Fukunaga so I just went to look up his work - he's been accused of sexual harassment and grooming by 4 different people and 12 people say he's been inappropriately pursuing younger women on sets. Wow.

Way to just obliterate something I enjoyed, Fukunaga you ass.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12150 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 July 2022 - 06:17 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 June 2022 - 05:31 PM, said:

- The line "I've got the need, the need for speed" must be included. Or an updated version, only if it is acceptably good.

All of your points are included or there are suitable replacements. Most within the first half hour of the movie.

The requirement above is essentially the entire script of the movie. It's a long series of macho quotes loosely assembled into a storyline. Turn and burn, baby.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12151 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:12 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 01 July 2022 - 06:17 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 June 2022 - 05:31 PM, said:

All of your points are included or there are suitable replacements. Most within the first half hour of the movie.

The requirement above is essentially the entire script of the movie. It's a long series of macho quotes loosely assembled into a storyline. Turn and burn, baby.

Sweet! I wasn't sure if this became victim of the times and so had to downplay some of the more "dude-bro, bro-dude" aspects of the original.

#12152 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 July 2022 - 10:48 PM

Beavis & Butt-Head Do the Universe: Pretty good! It's not a radical departure from anything that came before (there's a manhunt element that isn't very different from Do America), and it's not their top outing, but the boys are still dumb and funny and it coasts at "pretty good" for its whole run, with a decent number of lol moments. Similar to Bill & Ted 3 in just being lower stakes while serving up familiar goodness.

Fire Island: cute rom com. Less silly than I expected (a la Girls Trip or Bridesmaids) and more old-fashioned in tone, at least to 90s fare like You've Got Mail or While You Were Sleeping. Makes sense, since apparently it's a Jane Austen adaptation! Anyway, it's really sweet-natured and low key, rather than full of crazy shenanigans, but it works if you're looking for something more balmy than uproarious.

#12153 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 July 2022 - 02:34 AM

I quite liked Fire Island too.

CODA is fantastic. I'm deaf, so I connected a ton with the deaf characters and the main character as well. Her song + sign performance at the end is some of the most moving stuff I've ever seen in terms of deaf art. Story works so well, no wonder this won Oscars.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12154 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 July 2022 - 10:46 AM

Could be interesting:

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12155 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 July 2022 - 11:25 AM

Whodunits are having a moment huh.

#12156 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2022 - 01:41 PM

I am completely out of the loop on these social media challenges, which I wear as a badge of honor because they are asinine, but what is the deal with that new Minions movie and problems caused by a one of these challenges at theaters? What is it? What up?

#12157 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2022 - 04:26 PM

Let me Google that for you

#12158 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 July 2022 - 10:11 PM

I watched Spiderhead on Netflix. My other half is away and I was supposed to be having an Obi Wan Kenobi finale double bill but the sprog wouldn't go to bed and by the time he did I wasn't in the mood. So I stuck something unpromising on for the hell of it. It's idiotic, you can see what's coming a mile off. I can't decide if Hemsworth is playing the mad scientist straight or purposefully as a cliché. Either way, they're all dialling it in and I let Netflix get away with it and only further encouraged them by watching it!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12159 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 July 2022 - 05:54 PM

I was prepared to write this off... as CLERKS 2 and JASBR and JASBSB were all overindulgent dreck...but this looks worthy and interesting?! The meta storyline? Well played Kevin.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12160 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 July 2022 - 01:39 PM

Started off as not a fan of this version of the Turtles, but I ended up liking the show after giving it more of a chance, so this is cream for me and looks really cool to boot!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 July 2022 - 01:40 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users