Malazan Empire: Ye Big Movie thread - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 675 Pages +
  • « First
  • 672
  • 673
  • 674
  • 675
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#13461 User is offline   Cause 

  • Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 6,177
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:NYC

Posted 18 August 2026 - 02:34 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 August 2026 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 11 August 2026 - 07:23 PM, said:

Spiderman Brand new Day was a fun movie. I enjoyed it.

The ending though:
Spoiler



I got you.

See red answers.


Spoiler

0

#13462 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 18 August 2026 - 12:12 PM

I get you, I just felt the movie explained it enough...considering movie-logic to boot. I think DeWolff being a police detective completely on Peter's side is a big part of that ending but YMMV.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13463 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 5,292
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted 21 August 2026 - 08:13 AM

From Laika Studios (Coraline, ParaNorman, Kubo and the two strings):



https://www.laika.com/our-films/

In development:
"LAIKA’s President and CEO Travis Knight (Kubo and the Two Strings, Bumblebee) will direct the stop-motion adaptation of the international bestselling fantasy novel Piranesi by Susanna Clarke, with a screenplay by renowned screenwriter Dave Kajganich (Bones and All, Suspiria). With over four million copies sold and from the New York Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Piranesi is an intoxicating, hypnotic novel set in a dreamlike alternative reality."

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 August 2026 - 08:15 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker
0

#13464 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

  • Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,560
  • Joined: 10-May 10
  • Location:Westchester, NY

Posted 22 August 2026 - 12:45 AM

Well, shit! Guess I have to read Piranesi now — it's been sitting on my shelf, unread, for far too long.
0

#13465 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 26 August 2026 - 02:58 PM

So I saw this trailer in front of THE ODYSSEY and I thought, MAN this looks really good! Plus Andrew Garfield is always amazing. So I was already excited to see it....

But now I've found out that it's actually a Robin Hood origin story that was originally titled THE RISE OF ROBIN HOOD?

I'm even more in now. I like Robin Hood stories as much as I like Arthur stories


"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13466 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 5,411
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 27 August 2026 - 02:39 PM

I like Robin Hood stories but I think linking his legend to a real historical person and series of events that definitely had nothing to do with Robin Hood and the rise of that legend is a weird choice.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#13467 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 27 August 2026 - 02:46 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 02:39 PM, said:

I like Robin Hood stories but I think linking his legend to a real historical person and series of events that definitely had nothing to do with Robin Hood and the rise of that legend is a weird choice.


Except that's not true.

The Peasants Revolt (Wat Tyler's rebellion) of 1381 (thus after the Black Death and DURING the Hundred Years War) apparently DID originally inspire the Robin Hood legend...and it wasn't until said legend was rewritten in 1521 that the story was pushed back to take place in 1190's and involve the Third Crusade, Richard the Lionheart, Prince John, ect. to be more "romantic"

EDIT: I spoke to a historian buddy about it yesterday.

#TheMoreYouKnow

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 August 2026 - 02:47 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
1

#13468 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 5,411
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 27 August 2026 - 04:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 02:46 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 02:39 PM, said:

I like Robin Hood stories but I think linking his legend to a real historical person and series of events that definitely had nothing to do with Robin Hood and the rise of that legend is a weird choice.


Except that's not true.

The Peasants Revolt (Wat Tyler's rebellion) of 1381 (thus after the Black Death and DURING the Hundred Years War) apparently DID originally inspire the Robin Hood legend...and it wasn't until said legend was rewritten in 1521 that the story was pushed back to take place in 1190's and involve the Third Crusade, Richard the Lionheart, Prince John, ect. to be more "romantic"

EDIT: I spoke to a historian buddy about it yesterday.

#TheMoreYouKnow



I can't really speak to what sources your friend has and I'm not a historian, but while his first known appearances being in the 1300s and it only being later pushed back is a known thing, I've never ever heard his origins linked to Wat Tyler- and a quick scan over wikipedia now tells me that the earliest known mentions of him- in passing but in a manner that says it was already a known story orally then- predates the Peasants Revolt.

I suppose it's plausible that at some point or another some details from that did get added to the legend, but nothing specific about Tyler and the revolt lines up with the tropes of Robin Hood, except that resistance to authority and societal injustice is involved.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#13469 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 27 August 2026 - 04:36 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 02:46 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 02:39 PM, said:

I like Robin Hood stories but I think linking his legend to a real historical person and series of events that definitely had nothing to do with Robin Hood and the rise of that legend is a weird choice.


Except that's not true.

The Peasants Revolt (Wat Tyler's rebellion) of 1381 (thus after the Black Death and DURING the Hundred Years War) apparently DID originally inspire the Robin Hood legend...and it wasn't until said legend was rewritten in 1521 that the story was pushed back to take place in 1190's and involve the Third Crusade, Richard the Lionheart, Prince John, ect. to be more "romantic"

EDIT: I spoke to a historian buddy about it yesterday.

#TheMoreYouKnow



I can't really speak to what sources your friend has and I'm not a historian, but while his first known appearances being in the 1300s and it only being later pushed back is a known thing, I've never ever heard his origins linked to Wat Tyler- and a quick scan over wikipedia now tells me that the earliest known mentions of him- in passing but in a manner that says it was already a known story orally then- predates the Peasants Revolt.

I suppose it's plausible that at some point or another some details from that did get added to the legend, but nothing specific about Tyler and the revolt lines up with the tropes of Robin Hood, except that resistance to authority and societal injustice is involved.


I actually think it makes vastly more sense as an origin: Post-Black Plague trauma, and levies against the peasants for the Hundred Years War (they didn't ask for) by the king would be a much better push for someone to organize and rebel against the nobility/king than a noble coming back from the Crusades had his land grabbed by the Prince and Sheriff...so it works for me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13470 User is offline   Macros 

  • D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,644
  • Joined: 28-January 08
  • Location:Ulster, disputed zone, British Empire.

Posted 27 August 2026 - 04:57 PM

But is anyone's heart cut out with a spoon?
1

#13471 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 27 August 2026 - 05:22 PM

View PostMacros, on 27 August 2026 - 04:57 PM, said:

But is anyone's heart cut out with a spoon?


why a spoon?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
1

#13472 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 5,411
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 27 August 2026 - 06:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 04:36 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 02:46 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 02:39 PM, said:

I like Robin Hood stories but I think linking his legend to a real historical person and series of events that definitely had nothing to do with Robin Hood and the rise of that legend is a weird choice.


Except that's not true.

The Peasants Revolt (Wat Tyler's rebellion) of 1381 (thus after the Black Death and DURING the Hundred Years War) apparently DID originally inspire the Robin Hood legend...and it wasn't until said legend was rewritten in 1521 that the story was pushed back to take place in 1190's and involve the Third Crusade, Richard the Lionheart, Prince John, ect. to be more "romantic"

EDIT: I spoke to a historian buddy about it yesterday.

#TheMoreYouKnow



I can't really speak to what sources your friend has and I'm not a historian, but while his first known appearances being in the 1300s and it only being later pushed back is a known thing, I've never ever heard his origins linked to Wat Tyler- and a quick scan over wikipedia now tells me that the earliest known mentions of him- in passing but in a manner that says it was already a known story orally then- predates the Peasants Revolt.

I suppose it's plausible that at some point or another some details from that did get added to the legend, but nothing specific about Tyler and the revolt lines up with the tropes of Robin Hood, except that resistance to authority and societal injustice is involved.


I actually think it makes vastly more sense as an origin: Post-Black Plague trauma, and levies against the peasants for the Hundred Years War (they didn't ask for) by the king would be a much better push for someone to organize and rebel against the nobility/king than a noble coming back from the Crusades had his land grabbed by the Prince and Sheriff...so it works for me.



I don't mind it at all as an origin story and setting for Robin Hood. I'm just not sure about making him into Wat Tyler, specifically.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#13473 User is offline   Tsundoku 

  • A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 5,292
  • Joined: 06-January 03
  • Location:Maison de merde

Posted 27 August 2026 - 08:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 05:22 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 27 August 2026 - 04:57 PM, said:

But is anyone's heart cut out with a spoon?


why a spoon?


BECAUSE IT HURTS MORE!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker
1

#13474 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 27 August 2026 - 09:50 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 04:36 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 August 2026 - 02:46 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 August 2026 - 02:39 PM, said:

I like Robin Hood stories but I think linking his legend to a real historical person and series of events that definitely had nothing to do with Robin Hood and the rise of that legend is a weird choice.


Except that's not true.

The Peasants Revolt (Wat Tyler's rebellion) of 1381 (thus after the Black Death and DURING the Hundred Years War) apparently DID originally inspire the Robin Hood legend...and it wasn't until said legend was rewritten in 1521 that the story was pushed back to take place in 1190's and involve the Third Crusade, Richard the Lionheart, Prince John, ect. to be more "romantic"

EDIT: I spoke to a historian buddy about it yesterday.

#TheMoreYouKnow



I can't really speak to what sources your friend has and I'm not a historian, but while his first known appearances being in the 1300s and it only being later pushed back is a known thing, I've never ever heard his origins linked to Wat Tyler- and a quick scan over wikipedia now tells me that the earliest known mentions of him- in passing but in a manner that says it was already a known story orally then- predates the Peasants Revolt.

I suppose it's plausible that at some point or another some details from that did get added to the legend, but nothing specific about Tyler and the revolt lines up with the tropes of Robin Hood, except that resistance to authority and societal injustice is involved.


I actually think it makes vastly more sense as an origin: Post-Black Plague trauma, and levies against the peasants for the Hundred Years War (they didn't ask for) by the king would be a much better push for someone to organize and rebel against the nobility/king than a noble coming back from the Crusades had his land grabbed by the Prince and Sheriff...so it works for me.



I don't mind it at all as an origin story and setting for Robin Hood. I'm just not sure about making him into Wat Tyler, specifically.


He’s not.

Tyler is being played by Comso Jarvis.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13475 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 5,411
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 29 August 2026 - 02:21 PM

Fair enough.

I guess I just assumed from the description of 'Garfield is the leader of the rebellion' that he was, you know, the leader of the rebellion, but that's marketing for you. If he's not playing Tyler that makes the project a lot more palatable.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#13476 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 11 September 2026 - 11:38 AM

Watched some older movies I've never seen but have always wanted to.

NIGHT SHIFT - this one is great, and Winkler and Keaton bounce off each other well. Shelly long is also great in it, but it's hard post-CHEERS/FRASIER to see her as anyone but some variation of Diane Chambers. Had no idea it was a Ron Howard film, nor that Burt Bacharach did the score. Anyways, lots of fun.

THE WOMAN IN RED - The poster for this movie is INDELIBLY inked on my brain from my youth, I would see it in theatres and amongst the few other things that gave birth to me libido (Lea Thompson in Howard the Duck being the other major one)...Kelly LeBrock (who I didn't know at the time) in the red dress being blown around by some unseen wind...I was 7 but sufficed to say this movie always fascinated me. Anyways, I love Gene Wilder, he's funny as hell usually. And bonus this had Gilda Radner in it too. But the content? Woof. A bunch of dudes who cheat on their significant others convincing the lead guy that he should pursue some model whose underwear he saw when her dress blew up over a subway grate...like wait what? Like he spends the whole movie (while his friends lives are collapsing due to their cheating) trying like hell to lie to his wife, kids, and everyone else in pursuit of sex with this stranger...who eventually wants him to pursue her...only to learn as he's in bed with her that she's married too...and the closing moments of the movie is him on a ledge going "Oh, what am I doing? I'm a happily married man!" and then jumping to the waiting firemen below and as he falls he sees a hot news woman smiling at him and he thinks about this stuff all over again....I mean....are you okay....Gene Wilder? What a strange ass movie....like zero morals unless you count the men getting caught for their transgressions? But that feels like it's not as prevalent as it should be? also the comedy was constantly overkill. Gene Wilder comedy is subtle (if at times loud)...but this was "Hey Hammer the same joke home over and over and over again....that will make it funnier!"....no."

Ugh.

It DOES, however, make me want to see the original French film Wilder based his script on, Pardon Mon Affaire...as I hear it's leaps and bounds better.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 September 2026 - 11:44 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13477 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 21 September 2026 - 02:07 PM

We watched all three of the BACK TO THE FUTURE movies with the kids and they loved them...but it allowed me as a long time fan to pick out my two favourite scenes in the movies.

The first is in the first movie, when Marty is in 1955 and has basically allowed his own mom to glom onto him as a crush and he comes back to Docs place in the garage with the deLorean talking about their plans. Doc is wearing his goggles on the top of his head and his hair is wild out the back. Lorraine shows up and Doc covers the DeLorean....she comes in and has convo with Marty about if he might invite her to the dance. Doc walks around in the back of the scene giving Marty raised eyebrows and quizzical looks as he realizes that she's crushing on her own son...it is a MASTERCLASS by the comedically trained Christopher Lloyd in giving an incredibly communicative performance (to the audience and Marty) without uttering a word. It's SO good. HERE if you want to see what I'm talking about.

MY other fave scene is at the end of BTTF 2 when they basically show you the ending of the first film again, and then Doc dancing down through the fire trails left by Marty leaving and hollering about their success...he smiles and turns to the side as the music gently stops as it did in that first film...only for the score to CRASH back in and BTTF 2 Marty comes careening around the corner and bolts towards 1955 Doc....it's not like they tried to change what happened, they let the end of BTTF play out exactly how it did, and just when the scene should cut it grabs everyone and yanks them back into the frame. Just chefs kiss.

Runner up moment is a few minutes earlier when Joe Flaherty's Western Union delivery guy gives Marty the letter from 1885 and he goes "Hey are you okay kid? You need any help?" and Marty just goes "there's only one man who can help me"...fist pump worthy.

And HERE are both those moments too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13478 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

  • Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 12,924
  • Joined: 08-October 04
  • Location:T'North

Posted 21 September 2026 - 02:15 PM

It does make me wonder how Marty's mum felt in the 80s when she sees her son begin to look exactly like this dude she used to have a crush on. Might be a bit trippy.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.
0

#13479 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 21 September 2026 - 04:01 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 September 2026 - 02:15 PM, said:

It does make me wonder how Marty's mum felt in the 80s when she sees her son begin to look exactly like this dude she used to have a crush on. Might be a bit trippy.


Right?! Although to be fair, I would have a hard time remembering someone from high school who I knew for a few days and never saw again 30 years later.

Also, this movie and Howard the Duck produced my very first ever crush, Lea Thompson.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2026 - 04:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

#13480 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • Brother of Yuji
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 23,120
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Shibuya
  • Interests:DoubleStamping. Movies. Reading.

Posted 22 September 2026 - 12:35 PM

Look, I hate Tarantino...I have hated Tarantino for a long time....whether it's his liberal use of the N Word in his films under the guise of art, or his near CONSTANT cribbing of superior asian films from the middle of the 20th century down to scenes and shots. He does this knowing that MOST of his western audience will not know that Kill Bill is just Lady Snowblood dressed in white American trappings, or that he's not just homaging Shaw Bros. films, but aping them entirely and casting people from them to hide the fact that he's a mediocre copier and not some film genius. He's a former Video Store employee who happened to strike it big by making a grindhouse style crime film at JUST the right time in there 90's when "gritty" came back in. His repeated asinine moments in interviews, or on the street where he's a dick to pretty much everyone. And lastly his undying love of the war criminal from that country...

I don't like him.

I hated ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA....not because it was just a boilerplate story couched in and around the Tate events...but because of his MASSIVE disrespect of Bruce Lee. He took a massive asian acting and martial arts hero (someone who basically kicked off western attention to films coming out of the east...a genre he has spent his entire career profiting off of) and turned him into a cocky joke that his "WWII war hero white guy" could beat down. Shannon Lee was accurately mad about this fact. I was too. Using an actual famous martial fighter as a bouncing board for your stupid attempt to show your lead character is a badass is a crutch. He could have built that legend in a thousand different ways that would NOT have disparaged the memory of a king in the eastern and western film industry. But no, he chose tearing down Lee instead.

Anyways, when I heard David Fincher was making a sequel to OUATIA I was like ...oh good, maybe they will get someone else to write it an d it could be decent...but no such luck, Tarantino insisted on writing it....so OF COURSE they bring up the Bruce Lee thing in the new tailer and of course Fincher put it at the top of the trailer.

Ugh. Fuck Tarantino, and fuck Fincher too for not pushing back on that in the script.

Anyways, it doesn't look good.


"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

"Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone." ~Ursula Vernon
0

Share this topic:


  • 675 Pages +
  • « First
  • 672
  • 673
  • 674
  • 675
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users