• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12061 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 May 2022 - 05:40 PM

This trailer is WAY too long, but this looks solidly good. Plus Pugh is always great. I feel like it could have built up to that wavering plane shot, and left it at that.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12062 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 May 2022 - 08:23 PM

Rumored to have legit sex in it. Directed by the cougar chick from House who left Sudekis (Ted Lasso dude) for boy toy One Direction child. She's supposed to be freaky deaky and was alleged to be all about bringing the "reality" to the sex scenes. On an interesting note, Sudekis had the House chick director served with custody papers (they have two children) while she was at a film festival on stage talking about the movie.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 02 May 2022 - 08:25 PM

#12063 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 May 2022 - 12:25 PM

THE NEW MUTANTS

So it’s NOT the “horror” movie it was advertised as. Like not even a little bit. There are moments of sort of scary monsters…and maybe the “asylum” element led them to advertise it like that….but it’s not a horror of any description. I expect DS2 to have more blood in fact.

It’s also not bad at all. It just that the first 2 acts are really bog standard teenage angst/sex/relationships being analyzed in a supposed “nuthouse” for new mutants who might be ‘dangerous’. And the third act is a whole X-Men movie.

Spoiler

So yeah, buried in there is a cool movie about these kids discovering their powers, but it’s lying behind every single teen angst movie you’ve ever seen with no further bells or whistles.

I will say that it was cool as heck to see Illya Rasputin and Lockheed and their powers in live action…but yeah I can see why neither Fox nor Disney really knew what to do with it. It’s not awful, but it’s not good either, and I have no idea how you market it...cause it's not a horror or a superhero movie...it's both and neither.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12064 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 May 2022 - 11:12 AM

Oh heck yes!

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12065 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 May 2022 - 12:27 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 May 2022 - 11:12 AM, said:

Oh heck yes!

I love that they made a whole movie based around that Funny or Die skit. LOL! Can't wait to see this!

#12066 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 May 2022 - 06:01 AM

Give us the skit it was based on!

I like Radcliff, hopefully he starts making some more stuff

#12067 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 May 2022 - 11:56 AM

View PostMacros, on 13 May 2022 - 06:01 AM, said:

Give us the skit it was based on!

I like Radcliff, hopefully he starts making some more stuff

Apologies, here you go!

#12068 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:14 PM

Got tickets for the 35th anniversary screening of RoboCop for me and the missus. She's never seen it before. This could go very wrong. But hey, maybe I misremember the level of ultraviolence in the film. Fingers crossed.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12069 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:07 AM

I'd buy that for a dollar!

#12070 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:44 AM

View PostGorefest, on 16 May 2022 - 09:14 PM, said:

Got tickets for the 35th anniversary screening of RoboCop for me and the missus. She's never seen it before. This could go very wrong. But hey, maybe I misremember the level of ultraviolence in the film. Fingers crossed.

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 May 2022 - 02:07 AM, said:

I'd buy that for a dollar!

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12071 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 May 2022 - 11:41 AM

Doo-blay post-ay:

Early reviews say "Top Gun: Maverick is goooooood" :w00t:

#12072 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:00 PM

As I've mentioned to very loud boos once before, I'm not a big fan of the first one, but the new one does look pretty rad.

I watched Dear Evan Hansen...is it as bad as its reputation? Yes and no. Everything about Ben Platt is awkward and Uncanny Valley-ish, which is weird to say about a non-CGI person, but it's true. And a lot of the writing and acting are genuinely bad. But it also has long droughts of just being boring, so it's not always as entertaining as a The Room style train wreck, for example. Also, and maybe I'm wrong, but there seemed to be way less music in it than I expected. Maybe it's the way it's staged, cuz there's a lot of unsung dialogue in the midst of several songs, but I think maybe a lot of the stage production must have been cut.

I also watched Old, which is actually nuts and way closer to The Room than anything I've seen in a long while. Lots of and "Did that person really just say (or do) that?" throughout the whole thing. It's definitely not Good Shyamalan, but it's also not like typical Bad Shyamalan. More like it was written by aliens with only passing familiarity with human behavior.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12073 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:12 PM

View PostGorefest, on 16 May 2022 - 09:14 PM, said:

She's gonna be surprised when Red from THAT 70's SHOW villainously blows off Peter Wellers arm with a shotgun.

#12074 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:13 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 17 May 2022 - 11:41 AM, said:

Doo-blay post-ay:

Yeah. I kind of expected it as I think Kosinski is a great director, and OBLIVION doesn't get the play it should.

I can't wait to see it!

View Postworry, on 17 May 2022 - 12:00 PM, said:

As I've mentioned to very loud boos once before, I'm not a big fan of the first one

BOO!

;)

#12075 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:52 PM

The only reason to watch Top Gun is to better understand the jokes in Hotshots!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12076 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:34 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 May 2022 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 17 May 2022 - 11:41 AM, said:

Doo-blay post-ay:

View Postworry, on 17 May 2022 - 12:00 PM, said:

As I've mentioned to very loud boos once before, I'm not a big fan of the first one

BOO!

;)

Boo!

I assumed it would be poor but reviews look good. I love the first one but it comes with caveats - a lot of it makes me laugh. But it's a happy laugh and the jet sequences are awesome. I drove to the office today for the first time in ages, sun was out, sunglasses on, Maverick stuff on the radio, John Hamm recounting a phone call that started "Hamm? It's Cruise". Turns out it is not safe to drive to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12077 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:48 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 17 May 2022 - 08:34 PM, said:

Turns out it is not safe to drive to Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.

fun fact, the first VHS tape I ever owned (asked for for Christmas) when I was a kid was TOP GUN, and the soundtrack was the first cassette tape score I ever bought with my own money.

I LOVED this movie as a kid. It was my favourite movie for like a decade.

Danger Zone indeed!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 May 2022 - 11:49 AM

#12078 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:32 PM

Watched UNCHARTED. It's not terrible, and for the first two acts I was pretty into it.

The 3rd act, however, falls apart under the final action sequence in which two 400 year old ships that have been sitting in a humid ass cave and are miraculously intact, shrouds, ripped sails and all never mind the wood....but then they are lifted in sling netting under two helicopters and there proceeds to be what can only be called a Fast & Furious chase through the air where people jump from ship to ship, and one ship even t-bones the fellow ship and it only damages it a little bit.

Look, I can suspend my disbelief in a lot of ways for a lot of reasons in movies...and I could have accepted the COMPLETELY ridiculous concept that the ships were in decent enough shape in a cave in the goddamned moist and humid Philippines...but those things would have DISINTEGRATED into dust the moment you tried to lift them out of that cave...nevermind been air/sea worthy for a long fight sequence.

What a fun movie utterly and completely ruined by the 3rd act.

#12079 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 May 2022 - 03:42 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 May 2022 - 12:52 PM, said:

The only reason to watch Top Gun is to better understand the jokes in Hotshots!

And the Borderlands 2 quest, Too Close For Missiles.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12080 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 May 2022 - 09:11 PM

Finally saw Ghostbusters Afterlife. I may have shed a tear at the end. Not a patch on 1 or 2 and didn't need making but I enjoyed it.

One massive plot hole
Spoiler

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users