• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12021 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

Iím still partial to Happy Gilmore, but yeah wedding singer is a close second for best.

Also, if youíve not watched it yet, Sandlerís latest standup special (100% Fresh) on Netflix is gold and hilarious.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#12022 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:53 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 August 2020 - 03:31 AM, said:

In a more uplifting vein, Bill and Ted Face the Music early reviews are mostly pretty positive. Excellent!

https://editorial.ro...-first-reviews/

Whoa.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12023 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

Watched A Star is Born.

It's not bad, but I don't think it was worthy of all the awards it was nominated for, other than for the music. It goes from 0 to 100 right off the start, so you have to buy into this relationship without much set up. After that, I sorta found the rest of the movie was laid out in individual intense scenes strung together without much in between. It was sort of distracting and odd to watch a movie that used such an approach, from my perspective. You will get misty eyed though, so have your box of tissue ready.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

#12024 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

Been rewatching Brotherhood of the Wolf
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#12025 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

Le Pacte de Loups

I need to rewatch that also. Watched it in theaters when it first came out and a few times since, but itís been probably a decade.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12026 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 09 September 2020 - 04:09 PM, said:

Le Pacte de Loups

I need to rewatch that also. Watched it in theaters when it first came out and a few times since, but itís been probably a decade.

GREAT film. I re-watch it ever few years too. It's such a stunningly well made film, with a cool story to boot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#12027 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

I got access to Amazon Prime Movies... went on a bit of a binge on my days off.

Spiderman: Far from Home: A very meh affair. It felt like Marvel rushed something out here that wasn't really ready to go. I enjoyed the actors, but the plot felt very forced. Almost like half a movie. But, entertaining none the less. I love me some Gyllenhal (sp). 6.5/10.

Knives Out: Very cute. Fun and quirky. Reminded me of Wes Anderson movies in that vein. Daniel Craig attempting a southern drawl of some sort was interesting. I liked when the movie directly pointed to it. 8/10.

Zombieland 2: NRA Boogaloo. Can't match the first and I'm not sure if it was really trying or metaing that it would never be able to match the first. Entertaining overall, but felt like the characters were just hand-waved a lot. The scene of the carbon copies of the guys was great though. 5/10.

Hereditary: Just fucking wow. What a fantastic horror movie. It made me thoroughly uncomfortable throughout. Even knowing the ending I was quite taken and had to take breaks to just break the immersion. A theater experience would have been pretty overwhelming. 8.5/10.
There is no justice in this world other than that we ourselves make.

#12028 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

I'm watching Venom. This is a pretty good film that's ruined by it's PG13 target. This would be so much more fun as a disgusting horror action film.

#12029 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:42 PM

The Venom symbiot is hilarious.

#12030 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

Finished Venom. Either the script was poorly written or a lot of material was left on the cutting room floor. The film complety fails at explaining the shift in Venoms view of Eddie and planet Earth.

And the film really needed to be R rated.

But it wasn't bad at all. I'll definitely watch a sequel but it will only get stupider if they introduce Carnage and keep it PG.

#12031 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:43 PM

Watching Equalizer 2.

I loved the first one and this seems just as good.

Denzel Washington sure is getting older. But he still has that strange force to him that makes you believe him, no matter what role he's playing.

#12032 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Finished rewatching The Princess Bride on Dis+
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#12033 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:12 PM

View PostAptorian, on 29 August 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

Watched Tenet earlier.

Not sure what to think about it. The writing, editing, cinematography in general is great as always with a Christopher Nolan film but the actual story and the way the inversion stuff is presented makes little sense. Great action sequences but filled with nonsense.

Maybe this is a case of the film being rewarding on a second viewing, maybe I just need somebody to make a YouTube video explaining the events in a story board format or something but mainly I just don't think the story makes much sense.

There's some large plot holes in there as is typical of time travel hijinx but I think that there's also a lot of handwaving going on.

I just saw it. I feel the same. Just not sure what to say. And I couldn't even say I really know what happened either. I've never been lost so badly through a film before. I was trying to talk to my friend about when he was inverted but driving a car that wasn't inverted and I couldn't even come up with what my question was - I was just confused. Maybe I do get it as by the end I suppose you do figure it out / Nolan let's you figure it out but I don't enjoy being left on the outside for the majority of a film.

Hmm. Weird.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12034 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:47 AM

Watched a video on Youtube last night that did a very good job of explaining the Primer timelines for anyone who has seen it. It doesn't bother to go into extrapolation a whole lot and does make one or two logical assumptions. But, it uses some pretty simple but explanatory tools to break down the most confusing stuff. It being Primer it doesn't bother to try to explain some things, but it definitely helps to clarify. If you've already seen Primer once or twice before, try looking for it. I can't quite remember the name of the video. I'll look for it later. Just thought I'd let y'all know about it.

#12035 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:17 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 September 2020 - 10:12 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 29 August 2020 - 04:36 PM, said:

Watched Tenet earlier.

Not sure what to think about it. The writing, editing, cinematography in general is great as always with a Christopher Nolan film but the actual story and the way the inversion stuff is presented makes little sense. Great action sequences but filled with nonsense.

Maybe this is a case of the film being rewarding on a second viewing, maybe I just need somebody to make a YouTube video explaining the events in a story board format or something but mainly I just don't think the story makes much sense.

There's some large plot holes in there as is typical of time travel hijinx but I think that there's also a lot of handwaving going on.

I just saw it. I feel the same. Just not sure what to say. And I couldn't even say I really know what happened either. I've never been lost so badly through a film before. I was trying to talk to my friend about when he was inverted but driving a car that wasn't inverted and I couldn't even come up with what my question was - I was just confused. Maybe I do get it as by the end I suppose you do figure it out / Nolan let's you figure it out but I don't enjoy being left on the outside for the majority of a film.

Hmm. Weird.

A review I listened to pointed out that when the protagonist had his first presentation, science lady says that you're not supposed to understand the science but feel it or something like that. Which I think was Nolan's way of hand waving what ever inconsistencies and telling you to just enjoy the ride.

Which isn't very satisfying though.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 September 2020 - 06:25 AM

#12036 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:12 AM

Yes and there's a lot of "Does your head hurt yet" and "Don't think too hard about it" which I suspect are hints to the audience. I found myself missing a lot of plot points - it's a fast moving script - because I was thinking about what just happened.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12037 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:34 AM

Same here, went to see it this weekend and was left profoundly confused. I don't mind 'going for the ride' sometimes, but that is on the basis that the director will reward me in the end. With Nolan, I sometimes feel as if his entire world physics is built around a key moment towards the end where he can deliver you an emotional gut punch (e.g. Interstellar, Memento, Prestige) and you are mostly happy with the sometimes rambly worldbuilding because that punch usually delivers beautifully. This time around though, without being spoilerish, I feel the punch did not land for me because by that point I was already overwhelmed by confusion. My wife hadn't even made the connection because she'd decided to go to the toilet (she hardly ever does that during a film) when
Spoiler

I think I was just too confused all the way through to ever really get invested in any of the characters. A miss for me, and I don't think a rewatch will improve it. It will just expose more of the physics plotholes.
She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#12038 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

And at the other end of the scale, Bill and Ted Face the Music was a fun nostalgic ride to cap off the series, and it made sense too!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesnít work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12039 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 September 2020 - 10:08 AM, said:

And at the other end of the scale, Bill and Ted Face the Music was a fun nostalgic ride to cap off the series, and it made sense too!

Yep, we had a blast with it. A really fun popcorn flick that fits well with the other two entries.

#12040 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:30 AM

I'm in the middle of "i'm thinking of ending things" right now on Netflix. And it is just so fucking disorienting. SOMETHING is going on, but I can't pinpoint what other than time is fucked up. Is this some sort of deathbed hallucination? Dementia in realtime? It's discombobulating. And it makes me uncomfortable, which I'm pretty sure is what it's going for.... On with the show!

Edit: Done. Lol. I'm too tired to try to figure out what this movie is about. Getting old? Growing up? Nothing at all?

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 16 September 2020 - 06:06 AM

Share this topic:

• 603 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users