• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11521 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

This stuff really writes itself.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11522 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

You know what I love about GODZILLA as an IP?

It's literally a creature written originally in the 1950's as a response to the USA bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII according to its creator (and nuclear weapons in general I guess).

GODZILLA is a world-wide phenomenon and has been a staple of monster and Kaiju-type movies and merchandise in the USA ever since then.

So the super-Capitalist USA dropped a nuclear weapon on two Japanese cities, devastating them, and the Japanese answer to that was to create a character that the USA has never stopped spending money on in 66 years.

Genius.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11523 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 April 2021 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 09 April 2021 - 11:40 AM, said:

Agreed. Thoughtful dialogue and character arcs should really be reserved for the Godzilla origin story movie (provisionally dubbed 'Ascendantzilla'). A sad tale about a little troubled salamander on a small japanese island in 1945.

... whose father Thomas and mother Martha are brutally murdered in an alley after going to the movies, haunting young 'Zilla and fuelling his thirst for vengeance ...

Just as Superman is about to kill him, he cries out his mother’s name? They become best friends and save the world from mothra.

#11524 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

No offense taken, but if you want to understand this sentiment further, it's that it sucks when stuff sucks.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11525 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:48 PM

Watched The Emperor's New Groove for the who knows how manyth time. Still the best Disney film. My two year old quite enjoyed it too!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11526 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

The Godzilla movie proceeds at a brisk pace - perhaps brisk enough to make moving past the several bits that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. The fights are fun to watch and the usual trope of "they fight, someone wins a little, they fight again, the other wins a little, then they unite to fight the real villain kaiju" happens.

I do think that there's some 5 minutes maybe that were left on the editing room floor (or consigned to a digital version that will only see light of day in DVD extras or director's cut) that string things together a little more coherently.

But it's a good kaiju movie. It's not as good as Skull Island or Shin Godzilla or Pacific Rim. But it's better than the second Pacific Rim.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11527 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:15 PM

Possessor -- very good, very viscerally unpleasant at moments scifi psychological horror movie about a unique kind of hitman-for-hire. Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, son of David, and it doesn't shy away from the body horror. If you want something grim, intense, and serious while still being engaging and (if you like this kind of stuff) entertaining, this one's a must-see. Very cool (mostly) practical effects throughout. It's on HULU here in the States, not sure if Disney+ has it on their adult thing elsewhere as it's an unrated cut with unflinching violence and nudity (there's an R-rated version out there too though so maybe?).

#11528 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

Never have seen any of the previous Mortal Kombat movies. How many are there (they any good?).

But I guess the new Mortal Kombat movie came close to getting an NC-17 for violence. If they are, in any way, attempting to replicate the fatalities of the recent video games, that will be some crazy shit, and definitely would warrant an NC-17 rating. I might have to check it out just to see what's what.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 12 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

#11529 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

original movie is so cheesy and bad its good.

number 2 a bit less so

#11530 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:10 PM

View Postworry, on 11 April 2021 - 11:15 PM, said:

Possessor -- very good, very viscerally unpleasant at moments scifi psychological horror movie about a unique kind of hitman-for-hire. Directed by Brandon Cronenberg, son of David, and it doesn't shy away from the body horror. If you want something grim, intense, and serious while still being engaging and (if you like this kind of stuff) entertaining, this one's a must-see. Very cool (mostly) practical effects throughout. It's on HULU here in the States, not sure if Disney+ has it on their adult thing elsewhere as it's an unrated cut with unflinching violence and nudity (there's an R-rated version out there too though so maybe?).

I kind of want to see this film, not sure how much gore I can take tbh haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11531 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:11 PM

#11532 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:22 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 April 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 11 April 2021 - 11:15 PM, said:

I kind of want to see this film, not sure how much gore I can take tbh haha

Hmm, just to be clear, the body horror is both of the disturbing visual metaphorical kind (a la The Fly) and the very graphic, 'realistic' violence kind. And the nudity is full body, usually (though not always) in the context of sex -- it's not Rated X or anything and it's not like a huge percentage of the runtime, but in the U.S. we have NC-17 where it's no children even with a parent (unlike R), and that's where this falls. It is, in my estimation at least, all relevant to the ideas explored in the movie (as opposed to 'gratuitous'), but I don't want to steer anyone to this who'd be disturbed in a harmful way. Not to dissuade you either, just don't want to soft sell the difficult parts or the stuff you don't want a kid walking in on.

#11533 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, I was already all in on this one because I love Zack Snyder, Dave Bautista, Tig Notaro, and Hiroyuki Sanada...but the concept of a Heist with Zombies (which we knew about from the first trailer)...THAT HAVE ORGANIZED UNDER A TRIBAL LORD AND CAN SUPER-FAST-DODGE FUCKING KNIVES...oh baby I'm ALLLLLLLL in.

Oh, and the use of The Gambler for the trailer is note-perfect!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11534 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:22 PM

Better have a Mike Tyson cameo, or lost opportunity by Zacky-poo.

#11535 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 April 2021 - 05:21 PM, said:

Never have seen any of the previous Mortal Kombat movies. How many are there (they any good?).

But I guess the new Mortal Kombat movie came close to getting an NC-17 for violence. If they are, in any way, attempting to replicate the fatalities of the recent video games, that will be some crazy shit, and definitely would warrant an NC-17 rating. I might have to check it out just to see what's what.

There were two movies - the first one is a martial arts classic and shockingly good in a cheesy way. The second has ok moments, but isn't good.

There was also a tv series (MK Conquest) that was... trying, but didn't succeed much because it felt like the writing and production value didn't fit the story being attempted. The actors were a mixed bag too.

Then there was a reimagining by Kevin Tancharoen that was short webisodes. That was mostly pretty good. It didn't go anywhere and the Tancharoens went into Agents of Shield, which ended up being a bigger success for them too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11536 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 April 2021 - 04:53 PM, said:

Yeah, I was already all in on this one because I love Zack Snyder, Dave Bautista, Tig Notaro, and Hiroyuki Sanada...but the concept of a Heist with Zombies (which we knew about from the first trailer)...THAT HAVE ORGANIZED UNDER A TRIBAL LORD AND CAN SUPER-FAST-DODGE FUCKING KNIVES...oh baby I'm ALLLLLLLL in.

Oh, and the use of The Gambler for the trailer is note-perfect!

I definitely think zombies in Vegas is a great idea, in theory. I'm less sold (more wait-and-see) on 'zombies' as orcs. But I do like this cast (didn't realize Garrett Dillahunt was in it!) and you're right about the song. What a relief to see a movie trailer use an original recording, and not a slowed down moody cover from some no name mall-rock band.

#11537 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 April 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Watched The Emperor's New Groove for the who knows how manyth time. Still the best Disney film. My two year old quite enjoyed it too!

My best friend and I can pretty much quote it word for word. Brilliant film!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#11538 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2021 - 02:17 PM, said:

ADORE that movie.

Pull the Lever Cronk!...WRONG LEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

#11539 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2021 - 02:17 PM, said:

ADORE that movie.

Pull the Lever Cronk!...WRONG LEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE THAT LEVER?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#11540 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

WTF! Jacob is Dom's brother?! Shut the front door!

These movies are as dopey and dumb as they get, but I'll probably catch it when it makes the rounds to the various content providers eventually.

BTW, I think I'm going to make an attempt at watching every entry in the series. Question though, what is the difference between The Fast and the Furious (2001) and Fast & Furious (2013)? Is the 2013 film just a reboot / re-imagining / update with latest, powerful CGI glitzy special effects?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 14 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users