• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11481 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:03 PM

Watched The Witch (or alternative spelling, with two Vs - The VVitch, which is stylized that way from material the director found when doing research for the film).

This movie came out, I want to say about 5 or 6 years ago now? I think someone on the forum may have reccomended it at that time. So, I was wanting to see something with Anya Taylor-Joy in it because of her buzz generating work in the Netflix show Queens Gambit. Holy crap The Witch is excellent and she is excellent in it. If you guys haven't seen it you should give it a go. The movie is horror that isn't jump scares, and only has mild gore. Instead, it's the kind of horror that will stay with you, chill your bones long after you've stopped watching. Super creepy. The real neat thing about the movie is the amount of care that was put into it to achieve 1600s New England accuracy. From the wardrobe to the score/music and holy crap the dialogue, you'll be blown away by the dialogue. One of the best horror movies I've seen. Added bonus for you football fans - the boy looks like a young Wayne Rooney.

#11482 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:19 AM

I watched Can You Ever Forgive Me last night. It was good.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11483 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:34 AM

Yah that movie was wicked fun!
I watched Minari. It was quite good! Dunno if it's a heartwarming downer, or a heartbreaking pick-me-up, but it definitely got me feeling lots of ways. The littler kid in it is super cute and hilarious.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11484 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:29 PM

So what’s the consensus on the Snyder cut worth watching? I think this is a job for wuicktidal!

#11485 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 March 2021 - 11:28 PM

View PostCause, on 15 March 2021 - 07:29 PM, said:

So what’s the consensus on the Snyder cut worth watching? I think this is a job for wuicktidal!

It doesn’t drop till Thursday. Im already subbed to the streaming service that has it in Canada, so I will definitely chime in after I see it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11486 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:24 AM

So, what's the verdict you bandwagon turdcicles? Is Zacky-poos ego stroke version of Justice League worth it? Ya know you've watched it. Give us the 4-1-1, bizz-nawtches. Your opinion of the film will guide my decision on whether I watch it or not.

#11487 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2021 - 06:38 PM

Do you guys ever feel guilty, like you are cheating, if you really like a DCEU movie but are an MCU fan-boi? And vice versa? Do you find yourself sometimes justifying your love for one over the other? Do you rationalize with yourself, with the intent of never doing it again? Are there support groups availble for this sort of thing (www.ashleymadison.com)? a www.DCEU-MCU-affairs.com? if you will

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 19 March 2021 - 06:41 PM

#11488 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:05 PM

We saw Wonder Woman 1984.

You know what? It was fun! Not quite as entertaining or well made even as the first one but we both liked it. Kristen Wiig is great as is Pedro Pascal. It didn't feel quite as special or focussed as the first and the whole thing about wishes felt a little silly but at the same there was some amazing action sequences and it was fresh enough (ie completely different setting to the first) that it was a good film. And as I've not been that enamored with DC movies, despite traditionally liking the comics better than Marvel one, it's good to have another in the plus column. May even watch the Snyder JL remake now...?

Also, my wife has a major girl crush on Gal Gadot and I'm ok with that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11489 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:51 PM

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. What an odd bird of a movie, but in a good way. I think it might be akin to something like Raising Arizona if you want some reference. Really good movie though and recommend. Stand out performances by Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell. I think they both may have one an Academy Award, not sure, for their performances. I'm pretty sure Frances McDormand won.

#11490 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:55 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 March 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. What an odd bird of a movie, but in a good way. I think it might be akin to something like Raising Arizona if you want some reference. Really good movie though and recommend. Stand out performances by Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell. I think they both may have one an Academy Award, not sure, for their performances. I'm pretty sure Frances McDormand won.

That was such a great movie I thought. A little weird ending maybe, but otherwise fantastic.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#11491 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 March 2021 - 02:15 PM

Agreed, absolutely loved that film. An unexpected gem, heartily recommend it to anyone!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11492 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 March 2021 - 04:04 PM

Latest trailer for James Gunn's THE SUICIDE SQUAD

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 March 2021 - 04:05 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11493 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 March 2021 - 07:42 PM

Sweet, Starro the Conqueror. Okay this is likely to be a big stompy star rather than the later creepy facehugger version with sea-borne titans in charge, but nonetheless nice.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11494 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 27 March 2021 - 03:17 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 22 March 2021 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 March 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

That was such a great movie I thought. A little weird ending maybe, but otherwise fantastic.

I thought it was great overall, but didn't really think the ending fit.

#11495 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:02 AM

First thought is that the trailer for the James Gunn Suicide Squad is already better than the entirety of the film they released a while back.

Is this a remake? A sequel? A let's-pretend-the-other-one-doesn't-exist-but-we'll-keep-Margot-Robbie-on-as-Harley-Quinn-as-she-was-the-only-good-thinf-about-that-other-one?

It kind of seems like the plot (haha) is similar to the last one so I dunno if it's a sequel but I don't remember how the last one ended so I'm not sure if they left it to a point where Harley needs rescuing or whatever...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11496 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 March 2021 - 06:02 AM, said:

First thought is that the trailer for the James Gunn Suicide Squad is already better than the entirety of the film they released a while back.

Is this a remake? A sequel? A let's-pretend-the-other-one-doesn't-exist-but-we'll-keep-Margot-Robbie-on-as-Harley-Quinn-as-she-was-the-only-good-thinf-about-that-other-one?

It kind of seems like the plot (haha) is similar to the last one so I dunno if it's a sequel but I don't remember how the last one ended so I'm not sure if they left it to a point where Harley needs rescuing or whatever...

I'm also curious about this. To be fair the trailer for the last suicide squad also looked great and was a massive disappointment.

#11497 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:44 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 27 March 2021 - 08:01 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 March 2021 - 06:02 AM, said:

I'm also curious about this. To be fair the trailer for the last suicide squad also looked great and was a massive disappointment.

Basically a soft reboot/sequel - Harley, Amanda Waller, Rick Flag and Captain Boomerang are all the same actors as the previous one, but there's no janky witch and (hopefully) not as massive a reliance on fairly crap CGI for the villains, and no Will Smith (I believe)
meh. Link was dead :(

#11498 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 March 2021 - 01:37 PM

With all the recent announcements about video games being adapted to film I figured it was only a matter of time.

A Ghost of Tsushima movie is in the works

*link is to blog.playstation.com

#11499 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:17 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 27 March 2021 - 10:44 PM, said:

and no Will Smith (I believe)

Yeah, he was gonna be but scheduling conflicts meant no. They were gonna just recast him with Idris Elba but, fairly late in the day, decided to rework Elba's character into Bloodsport to leave the door to Will Smith to come back if this is a success and the opportunity comes up later. Although it seems a little odd coz Will Smith's character hasn't got a lot to do with comic Deadshot and Elba's character seems nothing to do with comic Bloodsport, who's a fairly minor character I've never read but reportedly is a mass-muderer obssessed with Vietnam and deluding himself into thinking he was a vet of that war, something there's no sign of in this story. So you've just got two guys playing basically the same person who is not really the person either of them are supposedly playing.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11500 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:22 PM

Will Smith would never play the real deadshot. He won't commit to a villain, not even a chaotic good one. He (albiet slimly) had to be the moralesque compass, the one with a family and some kind of a sympathetic backstory, not just a straight up psychopathic assassin who's a Hella good shot

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users