• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11441 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:57 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 February 2021 - 11:24 PM, said:

Spider-Man: Far From Home checked off the list, now I'm going to watch Shazam! I heard it's supposed to be pretty good. Any you guys seen it? Is the name that deal where each letter represents a god or goddess from the Greek pantheon? Can you name them? I'm guessing H is for Hercules and Z is for Zeus? ummm M = Mercury? A = Apollo?

Shazam is pretty funny. Definitely worth a watch, I was very pleasantly surprised by it.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11442 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:50 PM

View Postworry, on 19 February 2021 - 01:37 AM, said:

Of all the DC movies, Shazam is the closest to feeling like an MCU movie -- a mid-tier one, but still. It's not as good as the first WW or as gonzo fun as Aquaman imo, but it's more entertaining (and just plain less painful to watch) than all the other DC movies. Faint praise, but that's not Shazam's fault.

SHAZAM is trash. AQUAMAN is the DC movie that feel most like an MCU movie.

And MoS and BvS are the best DC movies anyways.

I'll never understand the desire for DC movies to be like MCU movies...having two tonally different comic universes seems like an optimal idea to me. But aside from the Snyder Cut they are bending away from Snyder's template anyways, and FLASHPOINT will reset the whole game board. Also, THE SUICIDE SQUAD has the potential to set a tone for the DC Cinematic Universe going forward as James Gunn is very much a trendsetter.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11443 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 February 2021 - 01:50 PM, said:

SHAZAM is trash.

I don't think I've ever seen you be so wrong in just three words.

And BvS is not a good movie, based on trash material as it is.

I will agree that MoS is really good, but that, in my opinion, is somehow in spite of Zach Snyder. And I don't understand this, frankly, silly belief that the so-called "Snyder cut" of Justice League is somehow going to be so much better than the Whedon cut (which wasn't good).
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#11444 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

NERD FIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

IT'S OVER 9000!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11445 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:52 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 19 February 2021 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 February 2021 - 01:50 PM, said:

SHAZAM is trash.

I don't think I've ever seen you be so wrong in just three words.

It's just a really lacklustre film. There's absolutely nothing special about it. It's rote and by the numbers.

And BvS is not a good movie, based on trash material as it is.

Clarification, BvS: Ultimate Edition (the directors preferred cut) is the GREAT movie I'm talking about (the theatrical cut out half the reasons for things to happen).

Also, it's not really based on any material. It might have elements of TDKR (namely a Superman VS Armored-Batman clash, and it being post-Jason Todd death), but most of it stems from the original story from MAN OF STEEL and containing that and including Batman in the narrative. Elements like Lex Manipulating the whole situation to get the two titans to clash is not something from TDKR, nor is Lex using Zod to resurrect Doomsday. There's really only tenuous surface stuff that relates between TDKR and BvS.

And I don't understand this, frankly, silly belief that the so-called "Snyder cut" of Justice League is somehow going to be so much better than the Whedon cut (which wasn't good).

For starters, why is it "So-called"?

Second, the deep cut on the Snyder Cut is required info for understanding why people want to see it, and think it will be better.

For starters:

- Snyder was finished filming and 7 months deep into Post-production on JL when he had to leave the project due to his daughters unexpected suicide.
- The Junkie XL score (Tom Holkenborg) for JL was COMPLETE (a score that will be restored in the Snyder Cut, and you can hear part of here).
- Snyder and his DOP Fabian Wagner shot some 4 hours of footage for JL. At the beginning of the project, JL was going to eventually be 3 films, so Snyder and Wagner shot lots of stuff that might not fit into the first JL movie.
- The cast and crew LOVED working with Snyder and his producer wife Deborah (this is relevant later).

The middle stuff:

- WB told Snyder than he could not release a 4 hour film, and to cut it down to a more manageable theatre-friendly length. He had already planned to cut it to 3.5 hours, which he did and submitted it...they rejected it and told him to cut it more. He cut it to 3hrs in a cut he still liked, but was not ideal for the story. They rejected it. He cut it to a 2.5hr film that lost a lot of the story, that he didn't like...but was willing to accept if he was allowed a Directors Cut down the line like BvS...they rejected that one too, and suggested a 2hour cut. It was at this point that Snyder's daughter died and he left the project.

The end stuff:

- WB hired Joss Whedon to "finish" JL.
- Whedon rewrote 88 pages of the script (this is well over half and close to 3/4s of the script).
- Whedon did months of reshoots with the cast (this is why MOST of JL Batman looks beefier...because Affleck was long past being in the shape he'd been in).
- According to Snyder's DOP Fabian Wagner, a mere 25minutes of the 4 hours of footage he and Snyder shot ended up in the final Whedon cut of Justice League. The rest was from reshoots and rewrites. Some of it is INSANELY glaring too.
- Junkie XL was fired, his score ditched, and Whedon brought in Danny Elfman to rescore the entire film.
- Joss accosted and treated people like shit on set, this included Gal Gadot, Ray Fisher, and even Gadot's stunt double who was taken into a room by Whedon and accosted. Things like Flash falling on Wondeer Woman's chest in a prat fall (a prat fall he ALSO used in AVENGERS) joke? Whedon. This relates to partially WHY the whole cast seemingly got behind the Snyder Cut on social media....because their experience had been so sour on Whedon's reshoots, and that they knew the film he made was not the film they signed up for and shoot originally.

So basically, the film will (as a nearly 4hour HBO Max mini-series film) hew much closer to the original plans for it as per what Snyder shot...he did mild reshoots (about 6 minutes worth I think; The Joker roof scene from the Nightmare sequence is that I believe), but the vast majority of the film will be what he originally shot. Of which, we have seen 25minutes of in random shots from the Whedon JL film, where he cobbled it into his vision as opposed to finishing Zack's. Hell, even minor things like the Steppenwolf design are MARKEDLY better....in the Snyder Cut he is clearly an alien with spiked armour...while in the Whedon cut he's a big human looking dude in a viking helmet. The red filter taint over the whole 3rd act of Whedon's JL? Gone now thankfully. Ect. They will effectively be different films.

Will it be better? I absolutely 100% believe it will be...it's not hard to leap over the abomination that Whedon created...will it be good? That remains to be seen, and there are always going to be people on other side of the fence who are destined to hate it or love it anyways....but mostly I feel like Snyder getting to finish the vision he had for MoS, BvS, and JL is a good thing, and I can't wait to see it since I love the other two films so much.

Also, the Mustache shit? That was Whedon too, because he didn't want Superman in the Black Suit during that scene (as Snyder shot it)...so he created a MASSIVE film issue, and cost by demanding that Cavill come do the reshoots and they digitally paint his mustache from his MI role out.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 February 2021 - 06:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11446 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:16 PM

I like Shazam, so QT couldn't. Obvious really.

Birds of Prey is probably my favourite DCEU movie though. Though MoS is also very good, and a seriously underrated film though I understand why people hate the way it fucks with the mythos.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11447 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 February 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

Birds of Prey is probably my favourite DCEU movie though.

Man I didn't like BOP...I dunno why. I tried really hard to like it.

#11448 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 February 2021 - 06:22 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 February 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

Birds of Prey is probably my favourite DCEU movie though.

Man I didn't like BOP...I dunno why. I tried really hard to like it.

I mean I can see why the tone would get on some people's nerves. Also the big fight scene in the theme park fell well short of its ambition, which was weird coz other action in the movie was probably the best action in terms of choerography etc the DCEU has seen so far.

But for me it hit as a sort of antisuperheroic Snatch. Lotta fun.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11449 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:55 PM

Shazam was ace. Just lots of fun.

Justice League was so boring I can't even begin to care about the Snyder cut.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11450 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:52 PM

This is how ZSJL is being pitched in Oz. Make of it what you will.

https://www.news.com...436e6ff899e054a
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11451 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:31 PM

Finally watched Jo Jo Rabbit. It has left me in pieces. I read a lot of pre-movie stuff on it so it has been on my to watch list and I thought I knew what to expect. I was curious but didn't really get it. It's so good. It's a really good movie for showing you how war and bigotry just kind of creeps up on people. I think if I had seen it in 2019 I wouldn't be so moved - I would have thought it was a very clever film but of not much relevance to me. But with how much that has changed in life over the last 12 months I found it kind of fundamentally terrifying.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11452 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:07 AM

Not to sidestep the Jo Jo post and the heartfelt terror within, but here's more comic book nonsense:

I forgot I watched Birds of Prey. I thought it was on par with Shazam...entertaining but not emotionally gripping (even in a popcorn flick sense), which is fine. That's what I get out of the Ant-Man movies (which I liked more, but still).

In terms of whether DCEU should be like MCU, I don't really mind either way. If the four choices are 1) Like MCU & Good, 2) Like MCU & Bad, 3) Unlike MCU & Good, 4) Unlike MCU & Bad, I'd be equally fine with either 1 or 3. I thought Shazam was on the lower end of category 1, and I was also contrasting it with the bulk of the DCEU, which fall into category 4.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11453 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:51 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 19 February 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

Finally watched Jo Jo Rabbit. It has left me in pieces. I read a lot of pre-movie stuff on it so it has been on my to watch list and I thought I knew what to expect. I was curious but didn't really get it. It's so good. It's a really good movie for showing you how war and bigotry just kind of creeps up on people. I think if I had seen it in 2019 I wouldn't be so moved - I would have thought it was a very clever film but of not much relevance to me. But with how much that has changed in life over the last 12 months I found it kind of fundamentally terrifying.

Is that the Taika Waititi film about Hitler? That's very much high on my list of need to watch films.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11454 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:53 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 February 2021 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 19 February 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

Is that the Taika Waititi film about Hitler? That's very much high on my list of need to watch films.

That's the one. But if your kid is even remotely blonde or curly then you need to steal yourself. And if not then as a human steal yourself anyway.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11455 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:17 AM

Shazam!

Loved it. I can see it falling into the classic category. The kind of movie that is viewed annually, like a Sand Lot or Goonies. Loved that it wasn't a star driven movie either, so not to be distracted by some arrogant A lister's "process" in delivering a performance. Thought the guy from Chuck was a great choice in that regard. Really enjoyed the foster family dynamic. The little girl was too cute. The movie has an adorable sweetness that makes it irresistible. There's going to be a Shazam! 2, right?

Aww
Spoiler

S - The Wisdom of Solomon
H - The Strength of Hercules
A - The Stamina of Atlas
Z - The Power of Zeus
A - The Courage of Achilles
M - The Speed of Mercury

#11456 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

Heads up that Disney + has added Disney Star in places like Canada (and I THINK the UK and Europe...in the States, sorry guys, you get Hulu access apparently)...which is adult content movies that Disney owns. Tonne of stuff on there.

BUT, you have to change your profile "rating allowances" to TV-MA and R to see the whole catalogue, because the profiles default to the Y-14 rating setting, which won't give you full access, so set it to R/MA and you'll get everything.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 February 2021 - 02:33 PM

#11457 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2021 - 04:47 PM, said:

When does this take effect? I can’t go higher than TV 14 in my settings right now.

You won't get access to Star in the States, because you have Hulu apparently attached to your D+ instead? I think anyways.

But the content setting is in the Profile "Edit" part of the app.

#11458 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2021 - 05:11 PM, said:

From what I’m seeing is Dis should have asked me if I wanted to set to 18+ on loading up for the 1st time. Maybe it just hasn’t hit for me yet?

I did download Hulu just now separate so maybe that was holding me back. Will try again.

Hmmm.

Well on mine, in the App I went to my profile image, and then clicked EDIT PROFILES, clicked on my profile, and then "content Rating" and then changed it there.

That said, Disney+ Star panel comes up and has content even if you don't have the rating set up to R/MA...it just doesn't have the complete catalogue unless you ratings change, but the panel itself is still on the app next to Marvel and Star Wars and the rest of the panels.

Oh, I googled it to find out for you...turns out that Disney+ Star is free and included for international D+ subscribers...but was created as a way to give everyone access to what you al have on Hulu in the States (because we can't have access to Hulu)...and you still have to pay for the separate Hulu account if you want it...

TL;DR: You guys got screwed while the rest of us got a bunch of content. Which hardly seems fair, especially if you have to pay extra. Maybe there is a D+ Hulu bundle? I dunno.

#11459 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:28 PM

Capitalism baby yeah!

#11460 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:00 PM

Motherless Brooklyn.

Interesting flick. Wasn't blown away by it, but it's got a tried and true formula with the interesting dynamic of Tourette syndrome thrown in the mix. Not going say anything about it and instead leave it up to you to investigate if your interest has been piqued. For something different, give it a go.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users