• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11401 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:36 PM

Finally got around to watching Spider-Man: Homecoming. I think I screwed up though because isn't there some spoiler material in the movie? Like that alien tech that was being modified by The Vulture and his cronies? The last MCU movie I watched I think was something about Captain America standalone with a Winter Soldier or something. So I think this Spider-Man movie may have dicked with the continuity of my enjoyment, not sure.

Anyhow, about the movie itself. Enjoyed it. Goes for the young Peter Parker approach big time. A wide eyed kid who is overly enthusiastic about what Tony Stark has planned for his future. A kid who can't be patient and jumps the gun to get into the nitty-gritty of being a super hero. Great execution of that and stellar job by the actor who plays Spider-Man. Spidey's side kick high school buddy was a treat to. There was a bit overly strong "wokeness" infused in the movie however. Not sure if Zendaya's character had any other purpose other then that reason.

#11402 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:39 AM

I loved homecoming. Sounds like you saw captain America winter solider, which is chronically after the first avengers movie (which is where the alien tech comes from). You should be fine.

#11403 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:36 AM

The Mrs and I watched WW84 last night. And we both echo the views above. It's shit, plain and simple.

At least Pedro Pascal looks like he took the "I'm just going to have fun with this" approach. But that's about the only good thing.

Action, script (especially), characterisation, acting, FX, in-universe-logic, you name it - it's shit.

It's as if someone took a proposal script from the actual 80s to revive the old Linda Carter show (yes, some of us have vague memories of it) with an extended underfunded telemovie and decided to dial the Shittifier up to 11.

They also upped the man-bashing as well with precisely three sympathetic male characters (Steve, a homeless dude and Max Lord's son), the rest at the very least being cardboard cutout Sexist and/or Warmongering Pigs™.

A massive misfire after the fun of the first one.

Two Super-Shittified 80s scripts out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 January 2021 - 12:37 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11404 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 02 January 2021 - 12:36 AM, said:

...watched WW84 last night. And we both echo the views above. It's shit, plain and simple.

Not beliving it could be as bad as I had heard I tried it. Its probably the worst of the recent DC movies I've seen and that is saying alot. What that kind of actor line up and budget it shouldn't possibly be this bad.

This post has been edited by Chance: 02 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

#11405 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

We watched Shazam last night.
Was a fun comic book hero movie. DCs best offering alongside WW1 of their recent stuff

#11406 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:01 PM

Here's a pretty decent analysis of how WW84 was such a litany of missed opportunities. With a cool Scottish accent.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11407 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:34 AM

Watched that most recent Charlie's Angels movie. The one with the actress (name escapes me) from the sparkly vampire movies. I can only offer this about the movie - don't waste your time.

#11408 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:04 AM

Godzilla vs Kong trailer is out if you havent seen it.

https://youtu.be/odM92ap8_c0

I thought Skull Island was the strongest movie so far, so I'm really looking forward to more of Kong. Also they've made him stupidly huge, and scaled Godzilla down a bit to make it fair, as Legendary Godzilla in KotMs could have stepped on Kong from the Skull Island movie.

KotMs just had a really crappy story. I mean, most G movies do, but with a tweak it could have been more believable.

This time around, it looks like Godzilla is attacking humans, so Kong is brought in to deal with him. However, from some of the frames in the trailer, there is a mech involved - probably Mechagodzilla. There's a big control screen in the trailer which looks like it anyway, as well as some lights in the shot at the beginning. Looks like the Godzilla attacking the cities is the Mech; and both Kong and G will team up?

Either way, I'm in. How I get to see it will be the problem though - theatre release in March, plus WB releasing it on HBO which isnt available in Europe.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11409 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

View PostTraveller, on 27 January 2021 - 11:04 AM, said:

I thought Skull Island was the strongest movie so far, so I'm really looking forward to more of Kong. Also they've made him stupidly huge, and scaled Godzilla down a bit to make it fair, as Legendary Godzilla in KotMs could have stepped on Kong from the Skull Island movie.

Bit of an understatement. It shouldn't even vaguely be a match. Unless they found some way to magically hugeify Kong by a factor of about 50.

That trailer does not fill me with confidence. Looks like they're messing with their own continuity.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

#11410 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:34 PM

Unless, all the shots of G in the trailer are the mech... and the real deal shows up later on...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11411 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:45 PM

I read this yesterday with regards to the size of Kong...

https://www.ign.com/...-is-kong-so-big

Justifies it in a way.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#11412 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:54 PM

KotMs just had a really crappy story. I mean, most G movies do, but with a tweak it could have been more believable.

This time around, it looks like Godzilla is attacking humans, so Kong is brought in to deal with him. However, from some of the frames in the trailer, there is a mech involved - probably Mechagodzilla. There's a big control screen in the trailer which looks like it anyway, as well as some lights in the shot at the beginning. Looks like the Godzilla attacking the cities is the Mech; and both Kong and G will team up?

Either way, I'm in. How I get to see it will be the problem though - theatre release in March, plus WB releasing it on HBO which isnt available in Europe.

The guess is that the Godzilla who is on the attack is Mechagodzilla made/covered with a skin from Ghidorah...and real Godzilla and Kong will need to team up to defeat him after the realization is made.

View PostTsundoku, on 27 January 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

Bit of an understatement. It shouldn't even vaguely be a match. Unless they found some way to magically hugeify Kong by a factor of about 50.

That trailer does not fill me with confidence. Looks like they're messing with their own continuity.

Kong in SKULL ISLAND is specifically mentioned as being an adolescent (and it took place in the 70's)....thus the growth to full size in this one however many decades later. I thought this was clear.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 January 2021 - 02:56 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11413 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:41 PM

Well an announcement about the Borderlands movie just sent it into a sharp turn towards shitshow, dumpster fire. Kevin Hart will play Roland. Posted Image

#11414 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

Here's a question for you. Why isn't there a Goldie Hawn box set?

Because the world is a disgusting hell hole with no proper values, that's why.

Overboard, Private Benjamin and Bird On A Wire triple bill. Minimum requirement.

I have spoken.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11415 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 January 2021 - 04:39 AM

Finally watched that Godzilla vs Kong trailer.

Do you guys think the world needs more BWWWAAAAAAAAAAMMMM? Or do you think it's possible to have too much BWWWAAAAAAAAAAMMMM?

Also, is this one of those deals where Kong will win the fight in the version shown domestically in America and in international markets Godzilla wins? I mean just examining both at their base competencies and what they bring to the fight, Godzilla would pretty much bitch slap that gorilla every which way to Sunday, right?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 31 January 2021 - 04:39 AM

#11416 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:40 AM

Well. King Kong from the trailer appears to have much more speed and agility than Godzilla.

Godzilla on the other hand has a deathray and can swim like a shark under water.

Only way Kong wins is if he can get in close and work the body.

#11417 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

Watched THE BIG SHORT. What with all the investor shenanigans going on with Wall Street, I was curious about shorting and the rest of it.

good film, and I'm still not entirely sure what everything was...even with celebrities breaking the 4th wall to explain those things in layman's terms.

I like Steve Carrell's character the most because he seems to have been one of the only people involved with that whole thing to have had a conscience about the real effects.

How everyone who pulled that shit in the 2008 crash got away with it astonishes me and really hammers home the class war in America.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11418 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:04 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 29 January 2021 - 09:55 PM, said:

Here's a question for you. Why isn't there a Goldie Hawn box set?

Because the world is a disgusting hell hole with no proper values, that's why.

Overboard, Private Benjamin and Bird On A Wire triple bill. Minimum requirement.

I have spoken.

I would expect it's because of the rights management as her films stretch across a number of studios and release companies. The only time you get those sets are when the person making the films has enough clout to make it happen. It's why Eastwood was able to have a set, because of how involved he was with most of his films.

For the record, I don't get why OVERBOARD is considered good. It's Meh at best.

But I love BIRD ON A WIRE, DEATH BECOMES HER, and SUGARLAND EXPRESS, so I understand the Goldie enjoyment.

#11419 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:09 PM

What about wildcats?

#11420 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:18 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 February 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

What about wildcats?

Do you know I don't think I've ever seen that to be honest.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users