• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10701 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 July 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Watched Moana ...Are there any other movies (Disney or similar) that are of this high quality that you guys would recommend? I think I've heard/read about a movie called Brave is supposed to be really good.

I admit to loving the Disney/Pixar stuff, in a manly adult beer swilling way. I deny any suggestion i teared up at any of the below, all viewings of which were at the height of allergy season... yes, i have watched THE INCREDIBLES seventeen times and it was ALWAYS ALLERGY SEASON dammit....

BRAVE is cute, worth seeing, but not as epic as MOANA.

I would put MULAN close to MOANA. FROZEN too. LION KING probably.

If you want the feels, the visuals, and the epic, FINDING NEMO and FINDING DORY (mostly) are hard to beat.

If you haven't seen THE INCREDIBLES and the sequel what the living fuck is wrong with you? are you dead inside or something? turn in your geek card now and go sit in an empty room watching infomercials you communist! you should. You really really should. BIG HERO SIX is close.

Ditto everything HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON related, movie and tv.

The SHREK movies are a bit inconsistent, 1 and 2 are great, 3 meh, 4 good enough, but even the much weaker 3 has a few moments (and one in particular... two words: Immigrant Song) worth seeing it for.

WALL-E... somewhat epic, cute, in the end a little too silly for an adult audience to enjoy as much as some of the others above. Same for MONSTERS VS ALIENS.

BOOK OF LIFE and COCO... beautiful to look at, if trite for an adult. Ditto ZOOTOPIA. UP. MONSTERS. RATATOUILLE. TANGLED. CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS. DINOSAUR. All entertaining but not quite as 'adult wow' if we set MOANA as the standard.

I acknowledge the appeal of the TOY STORY movies but have never loved them the way some people seem to. CARS exists to sell bad merch.

...and if you want to go serious old school Disney and don't mind some screen update issues, i utterly reco tracking down THE RESCUERS and THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, which will kick you right in the feels while entertaining you.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10702 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 04 July 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Motherfucker is really another Marvel movie out now? Ugh I'm already so behind! Netflix needs to hurry up and get CM and Endgame up so I can attempt to catch back up on new releases.

Yeah, you're fighting a losing battle there, because they will milk every direct dl and disk sale dollar from those before they put them on streaming.

And i fully expect the 2019 holiday season collected disk sets to be nothing less than a full frontal assault the likes of which Thanos' armies can only dream of.

#10703 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 04 July 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Motherfucker is really another Marvel movie out now? Ugh I'm already so behind! Netflix needs to hurry up and get CM and Endgame up so I can attempt to catch back up on new releases.

I "think" Captain Marvel will be the last Marvel film that they put on Netflix due to Disney's new Streaming Service that will be released soon.

Sure I read that somewhere...

I then went and found this:

https://comicbook.co...-movies-return/

This post has been edited by champ: 04 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#10704 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 July 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

And The Emperor's New Groove is hands down the best of all Disney films.

I will never understand what people like so much about this movie.

View PostAbyss, on 04 July 2019 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 July 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

Watched Moana ...Are there any other movies (Disney or similar) that are of this high quality that you guys would recommend? I think I've heard/read about a movie called Brave is supposed to be really good.

I admit to loving the Disney/Pixar stuff, in a manly adult beer swilling way. I deny any suggestion i teared up at any of the below, all viewings of which were at the height of allergy season... yes, i have watched THE INCREDIBLES seventeen times and it was ALWAYS ALLERGY SEASON dammit....

BRAVE is cute, worth seeing, but not as epic as MOANA.

I would put MULAN close to MOANA. FROZEN too. LION KING probably.

If you want the feels, the visuals, and the epic, FINDING NEMO and FINDING DORY (mostly) are hard to beat.

If you haven't seen THE INCREDIBLES and the sequel what the living fuck is wrong with you? are you dead inside or something? turn in your geek card now and go sit in an empty room watching infomercials you communist! you should. You really really should. BIG HERO SIX is close.

Ditto everything HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON related, movie and tv.

The SHREK movies are a bit inconsistent, 1 and 2 are great, 3 meh, 4 good enough, but even the much weaker 3 has a few moments (and one in particular... two words: Immigrant Song) worth seeing it for.

WALL-E... somewhat epic, cute, in the end a little too silly for an adult audience to enjoy as much as some of the others above. Same for MONSTERS VS ALIENS.

BOOK OF LIFE and COCO... beautiful to look at, if trite for an adult. Ditto ZOOTOPIA. UP. MONSTERS. RATATOUILLE. TANGLED. CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS. DINOSAUR. All entertaining but not quite as 'adult wow' if we set MOANA as the standard.

I acknowledge the appeal of the TOY STORY movies but have never loved them the way some people seem to. CARS exists to sell bad merch.

...and if you want to go serious old school Disney and don't mind some screen update issues, i utterly reco tracking down THE RESCUERS and THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, which will kick you right in the feels while entertaining you.

Or drink 7 redbulls and watch Redline. You know you want to.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10705 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

I like Emperor's New Groove fine, but it does seem to have a cult (yah I said cult) of people who swear by it! I would consider Lilo & Stitch the best of the post-2nd-Golden-Age Disney movies, though Moana is right up there.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10706 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostD, on 04 July 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

Or drink 7 redbulls and watch Redline. You know you want to.

AGAIN?

...fine, but this is the LAST time for reals....

#10707 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:58 PM

Mulan and the Lion King for the win

#10708 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

I also saw SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME yesterday, and really enjoyed it. If I was ranking it in the entire MCU it's fully top middle of the pack (better than the likes of Captain Marvel and Thor 2, but not a scratch on either GUARDIANS movies or the Avengers ones), but I still had a lot of fun watching it, and think it's excellent.

Will go into spoilers for the rest of my comments.

Spoiler

Spiderman Home and Away spoilers:
Spoiler

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10709 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:19 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 04 July 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 July 2019 - 01:19 PM, said:

I also saw SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME yesterday, and really enjoyed it. If I was ranking it in the entire MCU it's fully top middle of the pack (better than the likes of Captain Marvel and Thor 2, but not a scratch on either GUARDIANS movies or the Avengers ones), but I still had a lot of fun watching it, and think it's excellent.

Will go into spoilers for the rest of my comments.

Spoiler

Spiderman Home and Away spoilers:
Spoiler

Yes, that’s probably the right read on the scene, for sure.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10710 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:55 PM

Really REALLY cool video by Director of Shazam David Sandberg about how movies are all problem solving and video essays that critique them don't have all the info a lot of the time.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10711 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

That new Lion King trailer does look tempting. Not bothered about Aladdin and a lot of the remakes to be honest, but I enjoyed the Jungle Book, and the Lion King looks like it's going to be worth seeing.

Took the kids to see Secret Life of Pets 2. It was better than the first one, they really enjoyed it, and they chose it over Toy Story.

Been a weird week. First people complaining about the Ariel casting, which looks like a great choice; and then I had to listen to a film critic slating Toy Story 4 as a terrible movie, SOLELY because 1. There is no black lead 2. It is 'hetero-normative.'

I mean, really? The Ariel casting is perfect. The original film still exists ffs.

And 'heteronormative?' So now movies are inherently bad if they feature a hetero relationship. Better scrap all those classics then.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#10712 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Saw Toy Story 4 with the boy today. I was a little worried that it may have been an unnecessary cash grab but it turned out better than expected.

Sure, it may actually have been an unnecessary cash grab, but it was a well-done unnecessary cash grab. And something was in my eye OK!!! :p

Eight lost toys out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 14 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10713 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:50 PM

KINGSMAN (prequel) trailer is out and it's DAMNED good!

It won't embed, so you'll have to follow the link to YT.

Trailer

But two things that jump out at me are Rasputin and what LOOKS like it may be the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, thus kicking off WWI.

Man, this looks tight!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

#10714 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 July 2019 - 07:17 AM, said:

Saw Toy Story 4 with the boy today. I was a little worried that it may have been an unnecessary cash grab but it turned out better than expected.

Sure, it may actually have been an unnecessary cash grab, but it was a well-done unnecessary cash grab. And something was in my eye OK!!! :p

Eight lost toys out of ten.

Yeah, we enjoyed it.

And FYI, Bo Peep is a certified Badass.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10715 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

The Last Starfighter sequel in development.

https://www.google.c...r-sequel/%3famp

I don’t know how many times I watched this when I was a kid but it had to be in triple digits.

“What do you mean, theoretically ?”
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10716 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 16 July 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

The Last Starfighter sequel in development.

https://www.google.c...r-sequel/%3famp

I don't know how many times I watched this when I was a kid but it had to be in triple digits.

"What do you mean, theoretically ?"

INITIATE DEATH BLOSSOM!!!!!!!

#10717 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:59 AM

Yes

#10718 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

Very much so.

And a Last Starfighter sequel ... half of me is thrilled, but the other half is terrified. I call this the "Phantom Menace Effect".

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10719 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

SDCC kicked off today and continues through the weekend, so there's going to be a lot of trailers and other buzz worthy reveals. In the spirit of that, here's one.

#10720 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

Very NSFW (cursing)

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users